ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2008, 03:30 AM   #886
william t.
Studly Adventurer
 
william t.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Suches ,Ga.
Oddometer: 677
That is one huge windsheild I like my stock one since I have turned it upside down. It would be better if I could find some kind of deflector to mount across the top of it.
william t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:13 PM   #887
guesswork
Gnarly Adventurer
 
guesswork's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: So. W. Florida & N. Ga.
Oddometer: 265
Again, nice pic's william. New question....I've been thinking about how to adapt i bit of flex exaust to the Versys muffler to work as a bit of a Snorkel
when forging creeks and such? Anyone else thinking alont these lines?
guesswork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:47 AM   #888
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer
 
Grainbelt's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Minnyhappiness
Oddometer: 26,698
Anyone ridden the 650R and Versys?

I have a 650R. I run Avon Distanzias on it, and ride a lot of gravel and other marginal roads. I have a deposit on a DR650SE to use for further exploration off-pavement, but I'm having a bit of buyers remorse, and am thinking about trading the 650R in on a Versys and buying a DR200 as the dirt tool.

Is the Versys suspension up for the task of rutted, washboarded, occasionally sandy, pathetic excuses for roads? Not talking singletrack here, just awful roads - I live in Saskatchewan.

The Distanzias seem to work really well, but the suspension on the 650R is way too stiff, especially out front, and the only adjustment possible is rear preload. I love the motor, my GIVIs could be moved over quite easily... If the Versys can be softened up enough to handle the garbage roads, I might be sold...

Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #889
OnlyVees
Moto-journalist
 
OnlyVees's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: 3217'31.37N, 11051'27.00W
Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt
I have a 650R. I run Avon Distanzias on it, and ride a lot of gravel and other marginal roads. I have a deposit on a DR650SE to use for further exploration off-pavement, but I'm having a bit of buyers remorse, and am thinking about trading the 650R in on a Versys and buying a DR200 as the dirt tool.

Is the Versys suspension up for the task of rutted, washboarded, occasionally sandy, pathetic excuses for roads? Not talking singletrack here, just awful roads - I live in Saskatchewan.

The Distanzias seem to work really well, but the suspension on the 650R is way too stiff, especially out front, and the only adjustment possible is rear preload. I love the motor, my GIVIs could be moved over quite easily... If the Versys can be softened up enough to handle the garbage roads, I might be sold...

Despite what anyone else tells you, the Versys is a street bike. You can ride any bike down any horrible road, but it doesn't mean you will be happy. The DR650 is a sweet-heart of a machine. I wish I still had mine. Buy one.
__________________
2 kids, 1 wife, no bike.
OnlyVees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:20 PM   #890
Machog
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker
220 watts there about. Think we decided the bike needs like 60 watts, so there is plenty for electric vest (100 watts), maybe grip warmers too. The GPS, RD, MP3 player takes like nothing.
Actually Versys puts out 336watts, so you have power to spare. I run Gerbing heated jacket, gloves, GPS. But, you could add spot lights and heated grips if you were in the mood. 24amps & 14 volts @5000rpm. 24 x 14 = 336.

Machog
__________________
Machog
Cave Creek AZ
Machog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:39 AM   #891
guesswork
Gnarly Adventurer
 
guesswork's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: So. W. Florida & N. Ga.
Oddometer: 265
Heres the 150/70/17 Tourance rear....

I got this rear tourance off the UPS truck about two hours ago. I am more than satisfied with my initial test ride. Now, what to do about the front?

Well no pic. can't get the size small enough to upload? I'm actually better at changing tires, go figure....

You guys know what they look like anyway and it looks even better on a Versys...
guesswork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:42 AM   #892
FouxDaFafa
FouxDaFafa
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Newport News, VA
Oddometer: 9
Do you really need engine guards?

Question to Versys owners?

I have not ridden in a while (roughly 20 years) and just got back to riding again. Did my MSF thing and bought a Versys. Since I know it is just a matter of time before I drop it, I am looking to minimize any damage to the bike when it happens. I could buy frame sliders and/or an engine guard but do you really need an engine guard on a versys given that the engine is enclosed within the frame? Any recommendations on frame sliders? I have read somewhere (can't remember where) that frame sliders with a single anchor point can cause damages to frame as the energy of the hit is applied to that single anchor point.

Thanks
FouxDaFafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:54 AM   #893
guesswork
Gnarly Adventurer
 
guesswork's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: So. W. Florida & N. Ga.
Oddometer: 265
Can not see anyone trying to make a real Dirt bike out of the Versys. I would go with the sliders way before the pan. If you go down, you will most likly be on some type of road.
guesswork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:23 PM   #894
Machog
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Oddometer: 47
FouxDaFafa, I highly recommend these H&B bars. I took a spill couple of weeks ago, went down hard, but only damaged crash bars and bent brake lever. (Vice grips are there to rest my leg after ER visit, the way they strapped it up, I couldn't bend it enough to get it on the peg). If you look carefully at the bottom pic, you can see how far the brake pedal was bent back!





Bars are back to like new, which I could say the same about my knee.

Machog
__________________
Machog
Cave Creek AZ
Machog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:04 PM   #895
FouxDaFafa
FouxDaFafa
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Newport News, VA
Oddometer: 9
Machog,

Looks like the bars were very useful. Did you get any damage on the fairing? Do you have frame sliders as well?

Thanks
FouxDaFafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #896
RideAbout
Mentally Retired
 
RideAbout's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 1,525
OK, Hunting1... I need to see photo's of your bike with the HT panniers on it. I scoured this entire thread and the only photo's of your setup would not display... pretty please?
__________________
"Don't turn the Earth into a shit-hole like Uranus!"
West - "Oeste Sanchez"
RideAbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:52 PM   #897
roadkilt
Adventurer
 
roadkilt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Snoqualmie, WA (USA)
Oddometer: 146
...and how are they working for you Hunting 1?

David
__________________
04 R1150GS

I always come back from one of these trips with about 350 pictures of my bike - Ewan McGregor

Previous Bikes:
08 Versys
02 KLR
roadkilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:08 PM   #898
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer
 
SATEX's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: San Antonio, TX USA
Oddometer: 4,220
Decided to buy a Versys

I've tried to avoid this, but I've decided to get a Versys. This will be the first time in a looooong time that I've bought a Japanese bike, and I have to say that my shopping experience so far has been absolutely miserable. The Big Four dealers bring a car shopping ambiance to the process.

I hope I like the bike as much as I expect, because dealing with the HonYamSuzKaw dealers is maddening.

Thanks to everyone who has posted info on the bike. Your posts are allowing me to focus on actually getting the bike. I swear though, my next bike after this one will be another Euro, just so I can deal with civilized people again.

BTW, if anyone can recommend a good dealer and honest salesman anywhere within 250 miles of San Antonio, I'm all ears. BTW, I've so far eliminated all the dealers within 50 miles.
__________________
2012 Husaberg TE300 - "Huzinger"
'07 Husaberg FE650E - "The Monster" - Dual sport
'05 Husaberg FE450E - Sold
'03 KTM 640AdvR - Sold, and I miss her
Several other KTMs, Suzukis, etc.
SATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:33 PM   #899
guesswork
Gnarly Adventurer
 
guesswork's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: So. W. Florida & N. Ga.
Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATEX
I've tried to avoid this, but I've decided to get a Versys. This will be the first time in a looooong time that I've bought a Japanese bike, and I have to say that my shopping experience so far has been absolutely miserable. The Big Four dealers bring a car shopping ambiance to the process.

I hope I like the bike as much as I expect, because dealing with the HonYamSuzKaw dealers is maddening.

Thanks to everyone who has posted info on the bike. Your posts are allowing me to focus on actually getting the bike. I swear though, my next bike after this one will be another Euro, just so I can deal with civilized people again.

BTW, if anyone can recommend a good dealer and honest salesman anywhere within 250 miles of San Antonio, I'm all ears. BTW, I've so far eliminated all the dealers within 50 miles.

Try Florence Co. ask for ebay pricing! $6100
guesswork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:35 PM   #900
guesswork
Gnarly Adventurer
 
guesswork's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: So. W. Florida & N. Ga.
Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by guesswork
I got this rear tourance off the UPS truck about two hours ago. I am more than satisfied with my initial test ride. Now, what to do about the front?

Well no pic. can't get the size small enough to upload? I'm actually better at changing tires, go figure....

You guys know what they look like anyway and it looks even better on a Versys...

Hey, It even fixed the Speedo error. No extra charge...
guesswork is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014