Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2008, 07:27 AM   #916
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATEX
Thanks! I went to the Romatech site, and there appears to be no option for shipping to the US, but I noticed that the guards in your last link were on US bikes, so it must be doable. I noticed that price of 36 GBP, which translate to approx $70. I would expect the total with shipping to be around $100. I'll check further, but imo the Versys image is better suited to a homefabbed guard that costs under $20.
Think if you get the fender extenda you will not need a guard. I do have both tho.

Put your attention to the suspension first, dial that in and then you can ride. The front is pretty stiff as is the rear, but you can dial in the sag to about 35mm and it works lots better. Tends to want to wash out the front end with a stiff setup and stock tires. Me thinks there is a rear weight bias so I lean forward in hard corners.

You have some great riding in that area for sure. Just had a mini vacation in blanco 3 weeks ago. Saw a V come through bandera, we were on the GT tho, sigh.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:45 AM   #917
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Passing through on July 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunting1
You could remove the whole rack in 10-minutes, but I just leave them on all the time. They will carry a bunch of stuff for sure. I guess Caribou cases is working on a mount system as well. I just like the look of the aluminum panniers on dual sport bikes.
How wide are those mounted? The givi's are like 36" at least.

Coming through your woods on the 2nd of July on the beemer, headed for yellowstone and then oregon, back on 12th or 13th.
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2008, 02:22 PM   #918
Machog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Did you get any damage on the fairing? Do you have frame sliders as well
No damage to anything else, brake pedal and crash bars only. No frame sliders, but I did have soft luggage on and my leg took part of the impact

Its all back to 100% now, for minimal cost, can of spray paint and that was it.

Machog
Old 06-05-2008, 02:49 PM   #919
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machog
No damage to anything else, brake pedal and crash bars only. No frame sliders, but I did have soft luggage on and my leg took part of the impact

Its all back to 100% now, for minimal cost, can of spray paint and that was it.

Machog
That is another big PLUS for the Versys, drop the GT, and I have heard it runs over $3000 to replace all the plastic and stuff that gets bent, some even had more damage than that. 650 lbs falls harder than 400, ha.

Oh, and if you have the panniers off and fall on right side, the cat exhaust is $1500.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:45 PM   #920
roadkilt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Machog,

Glad your ride is back together How's the knee?

David

I always come back from one of these trips with about 350 pictures of my bike - Ewan McGregor

Previous Bikes:
08 Versys
02 KLR
roadkilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:28 PM   #921
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker
Think if you get the fender extenda you will not need a guard. I do have both tho.

Put your attention to the suspension first, dial that in and then you can ride. The front is pretty stiff as is the rear, but you can dial in the sag to about 35mm and it works lots better. Tends to want to wash out the front end with a stiff setup and stock tires. Me thinks there is a rear weight bias so I lean forward in hard corners.

You have some great riding in that area for sure. Just had a mini vacation in blanco 3 weeks ago. Saw a V come through bandera, we were on the GT tho, sigh.
I race offroad, and I think that creates a bias in favor of stiffer suspension. Your point is well taken though, which is to first dial in the suspension. The Versys offers limited adjustability, so I'll just get it close and then live with it.

I don't understand your comment about 35 mm of sag. Do you mean adjust it to a 35mm difference between active vs static sag? If so, then thanks for giving me a good starting point. I always set rear sag first, and then adjust the front to set the bike's attitude. The good news for me is that I'm a crappy rider, and close enough so I get tell good from bad is an easy goal.
'03 KTM 640AdvR - Sold, and I miss her
Several other KTMs, Suzukis, etc.
SATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:09 PM   #922
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaniels
2nd that. My dealer was able to get me the entire setup direct from GIVI for about $20 more than the Kawasaki cases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by william t.
Your dealer where you bought the bike should give you at least a 30% discount.
No love for me. I stopped by my dealer to inquire about the Kawi bags and Givi's. They looked up the Kawi's at $399 for the bags and $92 for the trim package $491 total (still backordered). The Givi's from Twisted Throttle are $490... My local dealer had never heard of "Givi". I thanked them and walked out. Again, proof positive why I avoid motorcycle dealerships for anything other than the bike itself.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:42 PM   #923
OnlyVees
Moto-journalist

Oddometer: 875
[quote=RideAbout] The Givi's from Twisted Throttle are $490... My local dealer had never heard of "Givi".[quote]

Twisted Throttle rocks. They arrived at my house, in Arizona, in about a week. On a side note, I don't think you need to order the Givi "fitting kit." The pieces actually come with the racks from Givi. I now have an extra kit, if anyone needs one...
Old 06-06-2008, 04:15 AM   #924
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
I got my Kawasaki Givis in three days. They have not been on back order for a while now. As far as the suspension it is a better suspension then the riders riding the bikes. Very few bikes and their riders can keep up with me in the mountains. I love passing riders with their knees dragging and the Versys makes it so easy to do. If you cannot ride the Versys at a very fast pace then I would suggest taking a racing or riding course. Shocks and springs will not help.
william t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:35 AM   #925
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Nice read.
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fe...les/index.html
william t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:01 AM   #926
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Suspension tuning

Satex, I am no expert here, just saying, my Versys came VERY stiff and was hard to ride, would bounce you off the seat on potholes.

This link fixed my ride and now I am very happy with the suspension

http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op...1&topic=2206.0
Old 06-06-2008, 10:28 AM   #927
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAbout
No love for me. I stopped by my dealer to inquire about the Kawi bags and Givi's. They looked up the Kawi's at $399 for the bags and $92 for the trim package $491 total (still backordered). The Givi's from Twisted Throttle are $490... My local dealer had never heard of "Givi". I thanked them and walked out. Again, proof positive why I avoid motorcycle dealerships for anything other than the bike itself.
Stupid and uninformed is one thing. My experience with the Jap brand dealer nearest me, Alamo CyclePlex, was bold faced lying ...as in making a firm commitment to do something and then refusing to later acknowlege the commitment.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:31 AM   #928
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker
Satex, I am no expert here, just saying, my Versys came VERY stiff and was hard to ride, would bounce you off the seat on potholes.

This link fixed my ride and now I am very happy with the suspension

http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op...1&topic=2206.0
Whatever the internet forum equivalent is of "speed dial," I need to put you mine. Thanks again.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:37 AM   #929
Machog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Glad your ride is back together How's the knee?
It was 3 weeks ago today and its about 90% back to normal thanks.

Decided from now on going to wear armoured pants, got myself some BMW summer pants, bit spendy, but cheaper than a new knee.

Machog
Old 06-06-2008, 02:10 PM   #930
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAbout
I stopped by my dealer to inquire about the Kawi bags and Givi's. They looked up the Kawi's at $399 for the bags and $92 for the trim package $491 total (still backordered).
Is it OK to quote myself???

Yesterday when checking on with the Kawi dealer (he was checking the web site) the price for the bags was $399 and trim was $92. Today, working with a different dealer (via the website) the price was $510 and $115... and still backorderd. WTF? Has Kawi decided they can't get/keep the luggage in stock so they'll just jack up the price so folks will look elsewhere?
I guess if I need the Givi setup, Twisted Throttle will get my business... so much for trying to support my local dealer... which quoted me $610 for just the Givi bags without trim!