Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2008, 09:13 AM   #1036
sailor85
youngblood

Oddometer: 15
^^^ just looked at your signature haha. Did you go on a Kawasaki buying spree this year or what?
sailor85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:44 AM   #1037
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor85
^^^ just looked at your signature haha. Did you go on a Kawasaki buying spree this year or what?
Yeah... i'm not really sure how that happened. I wanted to ride
a couple of cult scoots... the KLR and the little ninjette. The Versys
just sort of happened after a test ride.

So many bikes... so little time.

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:48 AM   #1038
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
I love riding the Uly. It handles great and really has the grunt to get around the corners. JC and I swap out all the time. The vibration at idle is great lets you know that there is a beast between your legs. When moving it is all gone and you are so comfortable in the seat. No other ADV bike can match the Uly for comfort out on the road. JC left north Ga. for Maine this evening. Tomorrow he will do about 900 miles on the Uly. Just a great bike to take on those long trips. Plus the Harley engine gets in the high 50s on fuel mileage. Even though his buddy rides a beemer with a lot bigger tank he cannot go as far as JC can before stopping. They are going to have a great trip and I will miss JC ,he stays up with me and makes riding together a lot of fun. I get a big laugh when I hear someone say that the Versys had a buzz or vibration. Compared to what
william t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:02 PM   #1039
william t.
Studly Adventurer

A great day of riding and my butt is dead. The seat is the only real weak point in the Versys. Maybe it is worse on us big guys. I wish I could find a used seat cheap so I would have something to work with. The Japanese need to let us fatass americans be the ones to decide what seat goes on there bikes.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:53 PM   #1040
Bear on a bicycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by william t.
A great day of riding and my butt is dead. The seat is the only real weak point in the Versys. Maybe it is worse on us big guys. I wish I could find a used seat cheap so I would have something to work with. The Japanese need to let us fatass americans be the ones to decide what seat goes on there bikes.

Bear on a bicycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:35 PM   #1041
abramsgunner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:

+1... I feel the need to stop and walk around a minute every 50 miles or so. Add me to the cheap seat for experimentation list
abramsgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:07 AM   #1042
william t.
Studly Adventurer

I can do about 150 miles and after that I have to start taking breaks. It sucks to have such a great bike and not be able to set in the seat for long periods of time.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:44 AM   #1043
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by orv
... this bike will probably go anywhere you want to take it, but suffers from the obvious tender underbelly, but worse, the geometry of the rear shock...this is never going to be a comfortable ride on pot holes and wash board roads. Someone prove me wrong. ...
Finally finished the first 600 miles with a blast yesterday out in the Texas Hill Country. I have developed a lot of confidence in the corners as long as the pavement is smooth, but I find the bike downright scary when the corners have almost any level of washboarding, undulations, or other common road conditions. Discomfort on rough roads while riding straight or in gentle curves is one thing, but unsettled handling in high lean turns is another, and putzing around with the pre-load won't change that. I need to source an shock upgrade, or rethink the wisdom of buying this bike.
'03 KTM 640AdvR - Sold, and I miss her
Several other KTMs, Suzukis, etc.
SATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:34 AM   #1044
wardo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Thank you all for your many posts. This morning the local dealer and I agreed on OTD pricing for a new Versys, as of tomorrow, I'll be a new owner. We agreed on $6400 OTD, I could of done better further away, but I'd rather buy local. I'll post a picture or two in the coming days.

Regards,
Wardo
2008 Vespa GT 200
2010 Husaberg FE 390
wardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:16 AM   #1045
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATEX
Finally finished the first 600 miles with a blast yesterday out in the Texas Hill Country. I have developed a lot of confidence in the corners as long as the pavement is smooth, but I find the bike downright scary when the corners have almost any level of washboarding, undulations, or other common road conditions. Discomfort on rough roads while riding straight or in gentle curves is one thing, but unsettled handling in high lean turns is another, and putzing around with the pre-load won't change that. I need to source an shock upgrade, or rethink the wisdom of buying this bike.
I ride in mountains that have real curves and the Versys can handle any kind of road conditions. Patched roads and potholes are no problem. Tire snakes do not affect it like it does on most bikes. The suspension works great ,I think it is one of the best things about the bike. Rode it on some slick dirt roads yesterday and it did pretty good on them.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:15 AM   #1046
Bubleconomy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATEX
I have to agree with you here. Its not enough to make me consider something else, but the back tire can get squeamish on high-speed turns when the pavement isn't perfect. I always assumed the stock tires were the problem though (which I fully plan on replacing after 3k miles or so).
Bubleconomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:49 AM   #1047
pilot OP
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubleconomy
I have to agree with you here. Its not enough to make me consider something else, but the back tire can get squeamish on high-speed turns when the pavement isn't perfect. I always assumed the stock tires were the problem though (which I fully plan on replacing after 3k miles or so).

Back off the preload some. It helps quite a bit for me.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:27 PM   #1048
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot
Back off the preload some. It helps quite a bit for me.
That would increase my active sag too much. I hadn't really considered the tires, since the stock ones seem pretty good most of the time, but perhaps others could chime in with experience.

Remember, my complaint isn't overall harshness, but a lack of compliance in curves with poor pavement.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:37 PM   #1049
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I ride in mountains that have real curves and the Versys can handle any kind of road conditions. Patched roads and potholes are no problem. Tire snakes do not affect it like it does on most bikes. The suspension works great ,I think it is one of the best things about the bike. Rode it on some slick dirt roads yesterday and it did pretty good on them.
You'll have to trust me when I say that the roads I was riding had real curves. Obviously the bike can handle bad pavement to some degree, because I did arrive home safe and sound. We'll just have to disagree about the quality of the suspension. IMO, it isn't complete crap because the bike handles very well when conditions are good. Because I ride lots of roads that are less than perfect, I find the bike wanting.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:09 PM   #1050
william t.
Studly Adventurer

They are some real curves in Texas You guys can whine and complain all you want but it will not change things. The Versys handles great and I wish I could show you two just how good it does handle. My videos show what it can do to a point but nothing like real life. My footpegs are worn off from carving the corners. I have a 650r motard in my basement that has had a ton of suspension work done to it and the Versys will just eat it up. I have two freinds that have KTM motards and both of them said that the Versys was way more neutral feeling then the KTMs. One guy bought a new Strom and then rode the Versys and first thing he said when he got off was wow I wish I had rode this first. Out of all the bikes I have owned the Versys is one of the best handling and best riding bikes I have ever rode. I do not read this crap in the magazines ,I know this from years of experince. I am not going to argue about it. You just beleive what you want to and I will just keep on having a great time. Except for the seat.