Oddometer: 677
Interesting article

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ho...ips/index.html
william t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:10 PM   #1067
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Bill has some great videos of this area.
http://www.deadzonevideo.com/Misc%20Videos.htm
Old 06-25-2008, 12:16 PM   #1068
white26golf
Tanker

Oddometer: 38
Need a little help

Hey all, I need a little help finding a small accessory. I am looking for a metal replacement or cover to replace the black rubber on my shifter. Normally it wouldn't be a big deal, but black marks on my tan boots in the Army are a NOGO. I know I can just use an old sock to cover my boot, but maybe you guys already know where I can pick up a part like this.
white26golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:23 PM   #1069
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by white26golf
Hey all, I need a little help finding a small accessory. I am looking for a metal replacement or cover to replace the black rubber on my shifter. Normally it wouldn't be a big deal, but black marks on my tan boots in the Army are a NOGO. I know I can just use an old sock to cover my boot, but maybe you guys already know where I can pick up a part like this.
Good one! How about a hardware store and look for tubing or hose, with the same size ID, that does not leave black marks. Maybe something Kawasaki Green

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:04 PM   #1070
pilot OP
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,039
Merimites on a Versys:

The width is 37 inches.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:22 PM   #1071
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity
Good one! How about a hardware store and look for tubing or hose, with the same size ID, that does not leave black marks. Maybe something Kawasaki Green
A piece of clear hose would work fine.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:59 PM   #1072
Stillupright
Make my day

Oddometer: 298
Another new Versys

I've had my 2008 Versys a week now and wanted to put a few miles on it prior to making a post, what with all the "issues" showing up on the thread.

I've only been riding 20 years and have owned 6 other bikes of all styles and would have to say at this point the fun factor is definately very high with the Versys. I still have a hell of a good time on the DRZ400S too, but different type of riding.

My break-in has been my version of the Mototune method. I warm up the motor well at low speeds then work it up and down the rev range without spending to much time in one RPM. I still take it somewhat easy and certainly haven't red lined it at this point. Did my first oil change at 30 miles - this bike is the easiest oil change I have ever done. I've got about 350 miles on the clock now.

The fuel injection is spot on. My wife and I completed the MSF ERC course 4 days before I picked up the Versys. Great course by the way. I have no problem doing all of the low speed exercises like the tight U turns at full steering lock, about 6 MPH, and then can accelerate mildly or strongly with no hesitation or surging. My DRZ is the same way, and it made the ERC course very fun and easy to complete.

The brakes seem fine to me, despite the comments of some motojournalists. But then these are the same guys who compare everything to full-on superbikes. The Versys is great for real world riding.

Buzz? The foot pegs buzz at 70, same at 85, but nothing in the handlebars or seat. I've had bikes that were more noticable at just about any speed.

Ergonomics are perfect for me, 6 foot and 165 pounds, so I'm not a lard ass. Very easy to stand up on the bike over rough road surfaces. Have had it on some dirt roads and it handles OK, gravel not so good due to the street tires.

Suspension is taught, especially in the rear, so I need to play with preload.

The seat sucks, hurts after 30 minutes and forces my pant legs into my crotch. Will look at modification, soon.

Do I like it? Hell yes, it is a great bike and the car feels like an orphan now
Stillupright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:38 PM   #1073
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by white26golf
How about a piece of the white heat shrink large of course. Cut it to fit heat it, should shrink up on the black rubber stocker.

Stillupright, check this thread for dialing in your suspension. Helped me get mine right.

http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op...1&topic=2206.0
Old 06-25-2008, 06:55 PM   #1074
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillupright
I've had my 2008 Versys a week now and wanted to put a few miles on it prior to making a post, what with all the "issues" showing up on the thread.
There seem to be pretty few issues that I can tell. For a fairly new bike that is priced this low, I think it offers great value.

Quote:
I've only been riding 20 years and have owned 6 other bikes of all styles and would have to say at this point the fun factor is definately very high with the Versys. I still have a hell of a good time on the DRZ400S too, but different type of riding.
Only 20 years? Come back when you have more to offer.

Quote:
My break-in has been my version of the Mototune method. I warm up the motor well at low speeds then work it up and down the rev range without spending to much time in one RPM. I still take it somewhat easy and certainly haven't red lined it at this point. Did my first oil change at 30 miles - this bike is the easiest oil change I have ever done. I've got about 350 miles on the clock now.
I did something similar, except I waited until about 100 miles for the first oil change (oil only.) Second service was oil and filter at 300 miles. I didn't hit 600 miles until today, so this weekend I'll change the oil and filter again and do the rest of the 600 mile service. I'll check the valves, but I'll be shocked if they've moved.

Quote:
The fuel injection is spot on. My wife and I completed the MSF ERC course 4 days before I picked up the Versys. Great course by the way. I have no problem doing all of the low speed exercises like the tight U turns at full steering lock, about 6 MPH, and then can accelerate mildly or strongly with no hesitation or surging.
The low speed injection seems less than perfect to me, but it's a minor niggly, and I'm getting more accustomed to it anyway.

Quote:
The brakes seem fine to me, despite the comments of some motojournalists. But then these are the same guys who compare everything to full-on superbikes. The Versys is great for real world riding.
I agree. Especially regarding the front brakes. The real is lacking in feel, and I'm going to try a stainless steel line to address that.

Quote:
Buzz? The foot pegs buzz at 70, same at 85, but nothing in the handlebars or seat. I've had bikes that were more noticable at just about any speed.
I rode a KTM640Adv for a certified IronButt, so I'm not one to complain about buzziness. Yeah, it's there, but it's just a subtle "feature" rather than a noteworthy issue. I've decided to NOT go up a tooth in front, and I won't do any gearing change because of buzzing. I think I'd like to slightly extend the shift points, but it feels good enough like it is for now.

Quote:
Ergonomics are perfect for me, 6 foot and 165 pounds, so I'm not a lard ass. Very easy to stand up on the bike over rough road surfaces.
I like everything about the ergos except the sweep of the handlebars, which is too much for my liking. Soon, I'll get around to finding bars that match the sweep of my Husaberg Maguras, and then get some Rox risers to get the height close to the current stock height.

Quote:
Suspension is taught, especially in the rear, so I need to play with preload.
Taught? I guess you think that Dolly Parton's bust size is somewhat greater than average... Lessening the pre-load can address the initial harshness, but be careful not to increase your active sag too much. Regardless, the preload setting won't make a poorly damping shock become on Ohlins. Then again, if I wanted a bike that came stock with Ohlins, I could have spent an extra 7 grand.

Quote:
The seat sucks, hurts after 30 minutes and forces my pant legs into my crotch. Will look at modification, soon.
Just remember...the ergos make standing an easy proposition.
'03 KTM 640AdvR - Sold, and I miss her
Several other KTMs, Suzukis, etc.
SATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:03 AM   #1075
wardo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
SW-Motech Alu-Rack

I took delivery of my Versys the other day, and so far I am extremely satisfied with the bike. I like to use a topbox for functionality, so that was my first mod. Looking around I didn't see any pictures of the Motech rack installed on a Versys, so I snapped some pics for the record. Here they are:

Here's the rack alone:

From behind:

Close-up of rack and box:

The rack installs easily and is a high quality piece of kit. I like the way it picks up on the lines of the rear trellis and looks like an extension of the tubing. My wife confirmed that the grab rails work well.
Next up for Mods is a Givi windshield, Fenda Extenda and Motech crash bars. I am looking at various tankbag options, but haven't settled on anything as yet. I'll likely send the seat off to Spencer for some tweaking. I don't have a long trip planned until autumn, so that gives me plenty of time to make tweaks.
Thanks for your many posts, as always they helped immensely in my decision making process.

Regards,
Wardo
2008 Vespa GT 200
2010 Husaberg FE 390
wardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:09 AM   #1076
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Nice rack
Old 06-27-2008, 07:23 AM   #1077
Stillupright
Make my day

Oddometer: 298
Eh? Issues? What issues?

Well, william t, your videos early this year sure got me excited about the Versys. Then Gustavo's links allowed me to compare the various reports on the Versys vs. the Weestrom in a suitably detailed manner.

I guess what tipped the scales in favor of the Vs was william t's willingness to lever the rear tire off the pavement in a turn with his side case, while having a great time exploring lean angles, only to purchase another Versys to replace the damaged bike.

At any rate - really enjoying the bike. Yesterday I got into some very gusty cross-winds north of Livingston, MT, and the bike handled them as well as any other bike I've ridden in like conditions. Stability in corners still surprises me. I may have accidentally visited triple digit speeds, but there was no one else around to prove it.
Stillupright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:36 AM   #1078
william t.
Studly Adventurer

The Versys will do about 122 mph. I rode with a guy that had an SV650 and we rode dead even on a long straight. He was impressed and so was I. I waited for a long time for a company to make a bike like the Versys and I think you will start seeing other companies jump on the band wagon. A motard type bike that is comfortable and easy to maintain.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:20 AM   #1079
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by william t.
The Versys will do about 122 mph. I rode with a guy that had an SV650 and we rode dead even on a long straight.
I've been riding mine for about a week with the GPS mounted and turned on all the time. I've found that the indicated speed is about 6.5% optimistic, so you were going about 114mph actual...still pretty impressive. BTW, I've taken mine up to 101 indicated so far, and the top speed registering on the GPS was 94.5. It was still accellerating...another 10 to 20 mph seems easily possible.

With my next fillup, I think I'll zero my gps and then get my max and avg speed data with each fillup for 3 or 4 times. It might be interesting to see the correlation...or maybe not.
'03 KTM 640AdvR - Sold, and I miss her
Several other KTMs, Suzukis, etc.
SATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:12 PM   #1080
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Corbin seat. I would need a test ride before buying. Big money to take a chance.

http://www.corbin.com/kawasaki/kvrs8cds.shtml