Old 06-28-2008, 07:30 AM   #1081
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot
Merimites on a Versys:

The width is 37 inches.
Nice work, and the set-up looks better than I would have expected. What mounting racks did you use, and how did you attach the cans to them? Thanks.
'03 KTM 640AdvR - Sold, and I miss her
Several other KTMs, Suzukis, etc.
SATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:34 AM   #1082
pilot OP
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATEX
Nice work, and the set-up looks better than I would have expected. What mounting racks did you use, and how did you attach the cans to them? Thanks.
I built the racks based on the Happy Trail rack on my KLR. I think I posted a couple pics a few pages back. The boxes use the Happy Trail mounting system. There is a piece of composite material in an L shape that hangs on the bottom rail, two bolts with large plastic knobs that screw into the top rail.

Here's the thread on making the boxes.

Here's the pics of the rack.

I changed the rack a bit from that pic. I added one more mounting point above the turn signal.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:12 AM   #1083
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I built the racks based on the Happy Trail rack on my KLR. I think I posted a couple pics a few pages back. The boxes use the Happy Trail mounting system. There is a piece of composite material in an L shape that hangs on the bottom rail, two bolts with large plastic knobs that screw into the top rail.

Here's the thread on making the boxes.

Here's the pics of the rack.

I changed the rack a bit from that pic. I added one more mounting point above the turn signal.
Thanks, but I'm still a bit fuzzy. Happy Trail doesn't sell just the racks, at least for the Versys. They do for the KLR, but the idea of buying KLR racks so that I can convert them doesn't seem appealing. If I had KLR racks already, as I'm gather you did, then that would be a different matter.

Getting the mounting brackets seems clear enough, I guess, but I'm not sure they would work on other side racks available through SW Motech, Givi, HB, etc.

Is my confusion misplaced, or am I making this more difficult than it is? Thanks again.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:05 AM   #1084
pilot OP
Slacker Moderator

You're right, Happy Trail doesn't sell just the racks for the Versys. So I built them myself. I used the KLR rack only for inspiration. Since I use these merimites on both the KLR and Versys, I wanted them to mount in the same way. So I bought some steel and started cutting.

I used three quarter .095 square tube for the square part where the box actually hangs. I used "rod connectors" instead of threading holes in the square for the mounting bolts. I then held the squares up to the bike and started cutting three quarter round tube to go between the square and the bike. Added tabs to bolt them to the mounting points. It isn't perfect, but you have to look close to see where it isn't perfectly symmetrical.

One more thing. Why weren't you at the Bugscuffle Tea Party in the hill country in April? I was.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:31 AM   #1085
OnlyVees
Moto-journalist

Oddometer: 875
Corbin!

It looks like Corbin has a seat for the Versys.

http://www.corbin.com/kawasaki/kvrs8cds.shtml
Old 06-28-2008, 10:54 AM   #1086
hunting1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Looks good, but $$$$$$$ ouch!

For anyone thinking of going with a 150/70/17 do it! I wish I had went with it a long time ago. My new Distanzias grab like crazy. I do not ride as well as William, but I think I will finally get the mileage I was looking for!

$200 for the set! It is like getting a new bike!

I adjusted the front suspension as well and no more spongy feeling! It is like falling in love all over!
Old 06-28-2008, 11:13 AM   #1087
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You're right, Happy Trail doesn't sell just the racks for the Versys. So I built them myself. I used the KLR rack only for inspiration. Since I use these merimites on both the KLR and Versys, I wanted them to mount in the same way. So I bought some steel and started cutting.

I used three quarter .095 square tube for the square part where the box actually hangs. I used "rod connectors" instead of threading holes in the square for the mounting bolts. I then held the squares up to the bike and started cutting three quarter round tube to go between the square and the bike. Added tabs to bolt them to the mounting points. It isn't perfect, but you have to look close to see where it isn't perfectly symmetrical.
I lack the skill, patience, and experience when it comes to fabrication exercises. Still, I'm less than thrilled with what I'm seeing elsewhere, so I may enlist the services of a friend who is quite talented in such areas.

I was hoping the guy who sells Caribou cases would come up with something, but that's a no go...sure you can buy his cases, but I don't see much advantage over regular Pelicans other than having a lock. Without the racks, Caribou offers just an expensive box and a project to get 'em mounted.

Quote:
One more thing. Why weren't you at the Bugscuffle Tea Party in the hill country in April? I was.
I've had the Versys only about a month now, and it's the first street bike I've had since I sold my KTM 640Adv about 2 years ago. Nasty dirt riding is my true love in the riding world, and during that time in April I was abusing myself and my Husaberg on some single track.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:16 PM   #1088
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,245
Hunting1, those are very good looking, for sure. Do you run the 15T CS? So many tires so little time, and money, ha.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:54 PM   #1089
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyVees
It looks like Corbin has a seat for the Versys.

http://www.corbin.com/kawasaki/kvrs8cds.shtml
What do you think of the different seats, covers, and add-on's?

I would like to see the option of having the 2up portion of the seat made into a lockable storage unit. I have seen this on sport bikes.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:54 PM   #1090
hunting1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
I bought a 16 Tooth sprocket, but did not change it due to the larger tire. If someone wants it $20 will get it to you. It is an all steel sprocket.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:58 PM   #1091
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunting1
Looks good, but $$$$$$$ ouch!

For anyone thinking of going with a 150/70/17 do it! I wish I had went with it a long time ago. My new Distanzias grab like crazy. I do not ride as well as William, but I think I will finally get the mileage I was looking for!

$200 for the set! It is like getting a new bike!

I adjusted the front suspension as well and no more spongy feeling! It is like falling in love all over!
Is the Wolfman tank bag made for the Versys or modified to fit?

Why Avon Distanza vs Michelin Anakee?

What is the circumference or diameter difference of the new 150/70-17 or what is the MPH difference with reference to RPM (visa vesra)?

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #1092
OnlyVees
Moto-journalist

Oddometer: 875
According to a generic tire calculator-

160/60-17; 24.6 inch diameter, 77.2 inch circumference

150/70-17; 25.3 inch diameter, 79.4 inch circumference

simply stated, 3.1% larger

OnlyVees screwed with this post 06-28-2008 at 07:35 PM
OnlyVees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:20 PM   #1093
pilot OP
Slacker Moderator

I thought they make a Distanzia in 160/60/17. I put a left over 150/70/17 T-66 on mine two weeks ago, along with a Perelli MT-60 front.

Where did you get them for $200 a pair?
Old 06-28-2008, 09:17 PM   #1094
Denis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Beautiful bike, what are folks in California doing to get one? Went to the local dealer today and was told not sold in California for 2008. Is it worth going to Nevada or Arizona to pick one up and then register it here in CA?

Denis
Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:26 PM   #1095
Bubleconomy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity
Is the Wolfman tank bag made for the Versys or modified to fit?

Why Avon Distanza vs Michelin Anakee?

What is the circumference or diameter difference of the new 150/70-17 or what is the MPH difference with reference to RPM (visa vesra)?
The tankbag looks like an Explorer Lite from the picture...I've got one...fits fantastic right out of the box. Very happy with it.
Bubleconomy is offline   Reply With Quote