User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2008, 08:31 PM   #1171
Goddessquanyin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Question One more to the Versys list

I got one, too...Anyone have a remedy for those cheapass shaky mirrors???
Anne
Goddessquanyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:57 PM   #1172
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity
If they make a Versys DS I am not sure how well the engine would perform off-road. Thoughts?
ha ha, today I went for a ride with 3 KLRs on narrow washed out gravel roads- pretty technical for a Versys guy with one bald rear tire (waiting for the new ones)...point was that those guys would have loved V's engine on their bikes...It's going to be a bit more difficult to take the carbs apart and drain them if/when the bike is submerged in water (they were recounting one fellow who was fishing for his bike after dropped), but BMW and others are the same, FI...so far this little engine seems to be bullet proof, and frugal...

William T.
thanks for the pictures, they worth indeed couple thousands words

Anne,

welcome to the clan...

you're complaining about mirrors spinning around, or vibrations?

Mirrors from Tiger 1050 fit, with an adaptor they (dealer) sell for the right one. KTM ones fit also (see Vendors topic about KTM folding mirrors). Kawasaki ZX1200,ugly but they fit. Then you can getLouis , and I am sure the list does not stop here. As far as I know though, the vibration does not go away 100%, regardless of type.
My advice, Go Faster and save your money!

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:08 AM   #1173
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
The engine would be great for off road. It has so much grunt. Every KLR rider that has rode mine said that they wished they made a KLR with the Versys engine. The Versys is one of the best packages that has came along. A better seat from the factory and it would be dam near prefect.
william t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:26 PM   #1174
william t.
Studly Adventurer

This is about a 35 mile loop and one of the most popular rides in north Ga. I usally hit it about 7am when there is little to no traffic and the law is still eating donuts and drinking coffee.

http://media.putfile.com/The-Loop-in-North-Ga
Old 07-13-2008, 01:10 PM   #1175
Bear on a bicycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Looks like fun!!
Bear on a bicycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:40 PM   #1176
hockeygoon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Contemplating a KLR or a Versys, and right now leaning towards the Versys as I haven't read a bad thing about the engine/suspension. I'd guess it's biggest limitation versus the KLR would be off-road capability?

My plans are commuter, backroad ripper, medium distance touring, with a few maintained dirt roads thrown in for good measure. My W does pretty good, but without any real aftermarket support, it is limited. I doubt I will get rid of it as the 360 deg twin just sounds great, and the suspension is well sorted. Brakes and seat are the two biggest questionable parts of it.

My local dealer has one of the few remaining 08 KLRs in the area (never been able to see one in person, they sell so fast) but it won't be uncrated till Monday morning. He can get a Versys pretty easily, but sold the one he had on the floor last week before I had a chance to sit on it.

Anyone with any experience with both want to chime in? I've read through this thread (mostly) and spent some time on klr.net as well some of the 08 klr threads here.
hockeygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:31 PM   #1177
william t.
Studly Adventurer

They are two different beast. The KLR is still more of a street bike then a dirt bike but it is a more of a dirt bike then the Versys. The Versys is more of a motard and loves the curves and commutes. Both bikes are great ,you will have to decide what you want most.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:12 PM   #1178
LeanIntuit
Happy Trails Rider

Oddometer: 6
Chiming In - Versys & KLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygoon
Contemplating a KLR or a Versys ...
My plans are commuter, backroad ripper, medium distance touring, with a few maintained dirt roads thrown in for good measure. ...
Anyone with any experience with both want to chime in? ...
Owned an 07 KLR and loved it; but found the Versys (acquired new last October and am coming up on 6K miles) better suited to my current riding applications (almost identical to your plans - with the occasional long distance ride thrown in). Thought a short Pro/Con comparison might help:
KLR
Pros: lighter, cheaper, more adventure gear, big front wheel {offroad}
Cons: vibration (damaged my GPS, lost some parts on long rides)
Versys
Pros: more fun! more power, more refined/smooth, small front wheel {onroad}
Cons: seat painful on long rides (butt & legs {6 foot 2}) - will redo seat!
Attached Images

LeanIntuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:14 PM   #1179
spklbuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
After 3500 miles, traded an '08 KLR in on my V. Have not and will not look back. Both able machines for what they are built to do, but for the riding you describe...Versys wins hands down. But as you have already no doubt read, the seat is major SUCKAGE.
spklbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:21 PM   #1180
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanIntuit
Thought a short Pro/Con comparison might help:
KLR
Pros: lighter
one point - new KLR = 175 kg vs Versys at 181 - The '08 KLR is heavier than the '07, so the diff between the KLR and the V is now minimal.
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:01 PM   #1181
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by spklbuk
After 3500 miles, traded an '08 KLR in on my V. Have not But as you have already no doubt read, the seat is major SUCKAGE.
I wouldn't go as far..or maybe there are no pain receptors in my arse I have done couple long days rides on the Versys-12 to 16 hr saddle time (stock seat still). It sucks on straights (moving around helps), but on nice roads you never know when the time goes by...I suspect rider weight has something to do with seat comfort too (I'm 185lb with gear).

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:30 PM   #1182
Bad-Tat
800 XC

Oddometer: 123
WilliamT,
Nice video of the loop. Passing on the double yellow?? Shame on you!

1995 XR 650L, Tiger 800 XC, 72 Triumph T100R, 86 SRX 6, 05 FLSTSCI, 13 Vespa 300, 08 Versys, 14 Grom
Bad-Tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:17 PM   #1183
Stillupright
Make my day

Oddometer: 296
Thanks for taking us along on your ride William

After Anne's comment about the mirrors I just had to check it out today. Mirrors clear to about 35 mph, then blurred image starting to clear as speed increased and clear again by 70 and above - 70 mph is the legal limit on secondary highways in Montana. Anyone done handlebar mods?

We were talking about buzz/vibrations earlier in the thread. I sometimes find myself riding at 70 mph in 5th gear and really don't notice it until I look at the tach, so compared to my DRZ the Versys is very smooth. I'm still amazed at the solid feel through curves- real high grin factor
Stillupright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:22 PM   #1184
hunting1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
I too had a 07 KLR and the Versys. KLR is gone and the Versys is still great. The KLR is My opinion only.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:50 AM   #1185
william t.
Studly Adventurer

I just cannot beleive that people complain about what little vibration the Versys has. After riding so many different bikes in my life time ,the Versys is one of the smoothest twins I have ever ridden. I do not use my mirrors all that much but when I do I can pretty much see what is behind me.