Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2007, 10:58 PM   #106
invader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
How 'cold' does it get down in NM? Like you said, it keeps your hands warm. I'm sure the Versys still functions to an acceptable degree and that a loss of about 5 mph won't kill you. Of course it adds drag and deflects a lot of wind, just look at the size of those boards, you clowns. I'm just letting you know what was experienced on his V Strom 650. I was surprised as well when he first told me and showed me the holes on the lower part. Maybe he should get a proper pair of riding boots. The Versys owner tried his Strom and decided against those hand guards.

KTM hanguards look good on the Versys;
http://www.dingsdale.com/Bikes/KTM%2...336/index.html
Attached Images

invader screwed with this post 12-27-2007 at 05:22 PM
invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:57 AM   #107
Bikeaddict
Bikeless Due To Recession

Oddometer: 209
Silver Versys...

... purchased a week ago used w/ 5200 kms on the odo. Extras from prev. owner tinted and fatter Kawasaki windshield, givi rack. I added a Puig hugger so far. The bike is sooo sweettt ! I like it very much. Only glitch the harsh shock absorber.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:35 AM   #108
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer_Mike
Hello,

I picked up a Versys in October after test riding an F800ST (loved it, perfect bike, pricey though). I stumbled into my local multi-brand Jap bike dealer and was suprised to see a Versys. I had read about it in the mags and it sounded like exactly what I needed to displace the SV650S which I found to be very uncomfortable to my wrists after 20 mins of riding. The Versys complements my '92 R100GS and I find the Versys to be more relaxing, fun, and possibly as comfortable as my R100GS on tour. It is almost as perfect as an F800, as far as perceived weight, power, comfort and size for a mid-sized all-rounder.
Nice review Mike. Can you tell me how this bike compares to your SV650s in terms of handling and power delivery (I know it's way better comfort wise)? I've been considering "downsizing" from my FZ1 to something more flickable (i.e., lighter in weight), and I'd like to try another bike with a twin motor, as well as something that can handle the occasional gravel/dirt road. The non-S SV650 seems like an option, but the suspension probably won't like my 6'3" 225 lbs frame. The BMW 800's are nice, but too pricey for running down dirt/gravel roads.

Also, does the Versys have a center stand?
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:11 AM   #109
Prairie Dog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 748
I bought one in October of this year.

IMNSHO I think it is one of the best bikes I've ever ridden.

Does everything I want of it and more.

It is without a doubt the most fun bike out there!

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

'08 KLE 650-A8F
'06 DL-1000 K6
'06 KLX 331 H6
'04 KLR 650 A18
'92 EX500 - one day a KLEX500?
'74 Honda CB350F - project bike

"You'll never see a motorcycle parked in front of a Psychiatrist's office!"
Prairie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:49 PM   #110
hunting1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
It was 9-degrees this morning here on my way to work in the mesa, so not the great lakes or Canada, but our wind chill here is what sucks. We were just funning with you, but if you look at all the bikes with the guards I think it is safe to say they work. My coworker has a VStrom 1000 with guards on them as well.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:55 PM   #111
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
It was around 40 this morning ,perfect for riding the Versys to work.
william t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:57 PM   #112
invader
Adventurer

Yeah, I know it sounds far fetched that hand guards would blast cold air right down to the feet, and that it would really be a problem, especially with the smaller lower wedge that is not visible in the V Strom hand guards pic. It was very obvious to the Versys owner, which deterred him from getting the same guards. It's an issue with my buddy's V Strom 650, but not in more clement weather, and he did notice about 5 mph loss right away. I was just passing along the product evaluation info, from your allies in the Great White North...

I'm actually looking at re-using my Moose Racing off-road type hand guards (aluminum bar with plastic deflectors available in different sizes/colors) on tapered aluminum handlebars which will reduce vibrations felt in hands and seen in Versys' mirrors. I have to switch to shorty clutch and brake levers, if I can find proper application with motocross models' levers.

invader screwed with this post 12-28-2007 at 12:58 AM
Old 12-27-2007, 06:30 PM   #113
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader
KTM hanguards look good on the Versys;
http://www.dingsdale.com/Bikes/KTM%2...336/index.html
Invader: Got a part # on the KTM handguards? The V-strom covers are decent but it requires you to keep the big Suzuki bob weights...which will break off the internal bolt in a simple tipover...it's a complex mounting system...and if you break anything you have to buy the whole stupid $$$ kit. Also being from one of the coldest spots in N America....what did you do for heated grips?
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:25 AM   #114
invader
Adventurer

KTM part # 6000207910030 Black, and 6000207910004 Orange ($49.99 MSRP). Available from http://www.mikescyclektm.com/ at 20% off by supplying the part number. KTM also has grip heaters # U6951345 ($26.99 MSRP).
I don't have my blue 2008 Versys yet... Just getting ready for it.

KTM Handguard Install

invader screwed with this post 12-28-2007 at 01:39 AM
Old 12-28-2007, 01:10 PM   #115
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by william t.
I hope to pick mine up on Monday. The price was right and the bike just has to be fun.
William T.
I read in one of the posts that you paid $6300. If so, where? Any dealer add ons? Thanks
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:58 PM   #116
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone
William T.
I read in one of the posts that you paid $6300. If so, where? Any dealer add ons? Thanks
No dealer add ons. Blairsville Ga. Depot Power center.

william t. screwed with this post 12-28-2007 at 03:32 PM
Old 12-28-2007, 03:29 PM   #117
Beemer_Mike
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT
Nice review Mike. Can you tell me how this bike compares to your SV650s in terms of handling and power delivery (I know it's way better comfort wise)? I've been considering "downsizing" from my FZ1 to something more flickable (i.e., lighter in weight), and I'd like to try another bike with a twin motor, as well as something that can handle the occasional gravel/dirt road. The non-S SV650 seems like an option, but the suspension probably won't like my 6'3" 225 lbs frame. The BMW 800's are nice, but too pricey for running down dirt/gravel roads.

Also, does the Versys have a center stand?

Hey Mark,

Due to the riding/bar position, I find the Versys to 'seem' more controllable compared the the SV650S. I have more leverage with the taller/wider bars and I think I can see better since I am not all stretched out with my neck bent so far to see with clip-ons. The SV-S felt more flickable than the Versys, but there are probably other factors at work in my comparison, like not having numb hands on the Versys, and I am a little less confident on bumpy twisties with clip-ons. My personal opinion breaks it down like this: SV650-S, wonderful engine, loves to rev and run through the gears, a little nervous and twitchy feeling when briskly running through mountain twisties. It's a cheap, practical sportbike with 'soul'. Versys, nice engine, pretty broad powerband (tame manners) that you don't need to rev hard to enjoy, but it's not 'afraid' to rev. It feels more relaxed, and it 'wants' to be ridden all day. Seat pushes me forward, but I'll wait for a good aftermarket upgrade to come available. Suspension is stiff, especially the rear. It might actually work better for you at 225lbs, than it does for me at 175lbs. It can pretend that it is an all-day tourer pretty effectively, especially off the interstate. Tiny windshield/fairing is surprisingly nice.

I haven't done any un-paved roads on either of the bikes. My Versys handles my gravel drive better than the SV-S, but the OE tires on both bikes are pretty spooky on loose stuff. Advantage here is Versys' upright seating, taller bars with leverage and you can stand up on the pegs. I'm hoping for the aftermarket to come to the rescue with a 19" front wheel upgrade for the Versys, THEN I'll upgrade the tires.

FWIW, I would have traded the SV-S for a standard SV if I could have found one a nice one with an owner who wanted to 'downgrade'. Standard SV, Versys, Ninja 650 were all on my short list of interesting, not-too-expensive bikes.

No centerstand is available anywhere as far as I know. I hope someone comes through with that difficult design. No one seems to know how or where it could attach.

Keep us posted on your thoughts and decision!

Mike
Beemer_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 03:42 PM   #118
LeanIntuit
Happy Trails Rider

Oddometer: 6
Talking New Owner/New Inmate: Checking In

Greetings,

Acquired a Versys in October - traded in the trusty KLR. Thoughts so far:

Love>
- engine and injection smoothness (especially compared to the thumper)
- agility
- seating position
- hazard and "to pass" flashers
- LED tailight/brakelight
- takes Regular fuel
- ease of installing/removing windscreens

Like>
- headlight beam pattern
- angled and compact turn signal lenses
- fuel range

Learning to deal with>
- no centerstand
- seat angle
- somewhat limited mirror views
- slightly harsh rear suspension (may just need to spend time fiddling with settings)

Mods to date:
- CalSci X-Large Windsceen (+11", 6'2"/34" inseam) > waiting for favorable weather to try it (Mark was very patient and helpful with advice in the selection process http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Versysprod.html )
- Gerbing battery pigtail and switch installation
- RAM handlebar mount for GPS

Mods awaiting $ &/or info:
- Givi bags and mounts (thanks for the excellent pics 2xadv)
- voltmeter/thermometer (anybody seen a CD version of the service manual?)
- seat upgrade
- handguards (jury is still deliberating on type)
Attached Images

LeanIntuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 03:59 PM   #119
william t.
Studly Adventurer

I do not find the rear shock harsh. The bike just shoots through the corners. Took my footpeg feelers off and I am still scraping the footpegs. This is fun.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:09 PM   #120
REMSKM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Versys "off road"

[quote=LeanIntuit]Greetings,

"Acquired a Versys in October - traded in the trusty KLR."

Have you been riding any dirt/gravel roads with the Versys? If so, what are your thoughts, particularly as compared to the KLR?
REMSKM is offline   Reply With Quote