Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2008, 12:05 PM   #1246
hunting1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Sure it will do t, but the tail area will be the weekest link. It is all plastic underneath. The second issue will be tires. The rim size will be an issues. I am running a 150/70/17 for better selection. The front will still be a 17". Great bike for 85-15.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:16 PM   #1247
tac650
Nomad

Oddometer: 521
V & Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kliff
Just looking for some honest feedback please...

How "dirt worthy" is the Versys?

I see pics on seconday roads, and some gravel roads....but I have yet to see any knobby equipped Versys on dirt or muddy roads, or stream crossings. Are these conditions out of it's realm?

I know my use will be 90% sreet, 10% dirt, but that dirt could be muddy trails. Should I be looking at a KLR, or will the Versys work for me?

I like the V on the dirt roads I ride. They are mostly fire and logging roads here in Oregon. If you just air down the tires it does well. Now going in the water you have to remember the low slung muffler. Anything over a 12" deep would probably be a problem. As long as I'm not jumping stumps or going thru deep water the V fits me fine.

2011 Husqvarna SMS630, 1998 Triumph Sprint, 1983 Suzuki GS1100E and retired.

tac650 screwed with this post 07-23-2008 at 11:51 AM
tac650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #1248
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
I ride mine on USFS roads with no problem. Knobbies ,no way.
william t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:54 AM   #1249
Stillupright
Make my day

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by kliff
Just looking for some honest feedback please...

How "dirt worthy" is the Versys?

I see pics on seconday roads, and some gravel roads....but I have yet to see any knobby equipped Versys on dirt or muddy roads, or stream crossings. Are these conditions out of it's realm?

I know my use will be 90% sreet, 10% dirt, but that dirt could be muddy trails. Should I be looking at a KLR, or will the Versys work for me?
I bought the Versys because I wanted a good street (paved road) bike. It does an excellent job on pavement. I've ridden a few dirt roads, and set up the way it is which is stock, I really don't like it much offroad. I would not take it on anything rougher than forest service type roads, and certainly not on a trail. I also have a DRZ and the contrast between riding the two is really evident, because the DRZ is set up from the get-go to ride unpaved routes and it is much much more pleasurable in this setting than the Versys. It would be difficult to protect the bottom of the Versys from large rocks - it was designed as a paved road bike. If you can only have one bike and like unpaved roads I'd go with a good dual sport. On ADV we want our bikes to go anywhere but... : good luck
Stillupright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:29 PM   #1250
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Seen this and had to pass it along.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:09 PM   #1251
Koach
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Asked this question once but never really did get an answer.
"How well does the Versys handle a full load. Say camping gear, spares, tools, some spare gas, etc. everything that is needed for a a 3-4 week trip from the East Coast up to Inuvik on the Dempster highway (gravel)."

I understand a KLR, GS or 650 Strom may be a better choice but the rest of the year I'm just running errands and using the bike to enjoy riding the backroads around home with a zillion twisties per mile. I love the look of the Versys, find the KLR unsexy, the GS's too expensive in Canada and the Strom is just too big and clumsy for my liking.

Koach
Koach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:28 PM   #1252
roadkilt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Thumb

[quote=william t.]Seen this and had to pass it along.

Now THAT is some good taste Nice to see, also, that it is not another hi-tech sport bike - not that they aren't neat but they also aren't very "real"

I always come back from one of these trips with about 350 pictures of my bike - Ewan McGregor

Previous Bikes:
08 Versys
02 KLR
roadkilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:19 PM   #1253
orv
Busted butt

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koach
"How well does the Versys handle a full load. Say camping gear, spares, tools, some spare gas, etc. everything that is needed for a a 3-4 week trip from the East Coast up to Inuvik on the Dempster highway (gravel)."

I understand a KLR, GS or 650 Strom may be a better choice but the rest of the year I'm just running errands and using the bike to enjoy riding the backroads around home with a zillion twisties per mile. I love the look of the Versys, find the KLR unsexy, the GS's too expensive in Canada and the Strom is just too big and clumsy for my liking.

Koach
I'd take the Versys on that trip in a minute. with the Caribou bags you have a large platform on top to strap down tents and things. The bike will handle it well. You can use tires that are long range on the road. You can use "regular" gas, and get 50 mpg. have a great time!
Attached Images

orv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:48 PM   #1254
Koach
Adventurer

Great cases Orv.

Are they KLR cases and racks fitted to your moto? Nice platform indeed.

If you have written about them on a previous thread I would appreciate a link.

Koach
Old 07-24-2008, 03:16 PM   #1255
hunting1
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koach

Koach

I'd take the Versys on that trip in a minute. with the Caribou bags you have a large platform on top to strap down tents and things. The bike will handle it well. You can use tires that are long range on the road. You can use "regular" gas, and get 50 mpg. have a great time!
Attached Images
What he said! I camp with mine all the time!

Old 07-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #1256
Koach
Adventurer

Wow, nice boxes on your rig also. Do you mind me asking what make they are and a little info about the supporting racks.

And to thing I had doubts about buying the Versys for long trips.

Koach
Old 07-24-2008, 07:15 PM   #1257
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,267
It says right on hunting1's boxes - Happy-Trail.

I've taken mine on a 5 day, 2400 mile trip with no issues.

Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:59 PM   #1258
hunting1
Gnarly Adventurer

My longest was to Big Bend and back and was just under 3000-miles. No issues and runs great.

Happy Trail Panniers, mount easy and remove easy. Can carry a bunch of stuff! The caribou cases are sexxy as well! Price wise, think they are close.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:40 AM   #1259
OnlyVees
Moto-journalist

Oddometer: 875
2... 2... two questions in one post!

First, does anyone regret switching to a 16-tooth front cog?

Second, has anyone here tried either the Givi or the larger Kawi screen? Feedback?

Thanking you in advance.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #1260
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Check this trip out. Great stuff.

http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op...5&topic=3885.0