Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2007, 06:32 AM   #121
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
You can d/l the .pdf of the Versys manual at http://www.versys.co.uk/.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:30 AM   #122
LeanIntuit
Happy Trails Rider

Oddometer: 6
Thumb Rear Suspension / Offroad / Manual

Awesome to see responses so quickly; thanks for the help.

"I do not find the rear shock harsh. The bike just shoots through the corners." (William T.)

> I weigh in at about 220 (+gear); any suggestions on rear suspension settings?

"Have you been riding any dirt/gravel roads with the Versys? If so, what are your thoughts, particularly as compared to the KLR?" (REMSKM)

> I have not yet ridden offroad. I plan to use the Versys on a mild dual-sport outing this summer though (there are some d/g roads here in IN that i will try out when the ground drys up a bit after winter).

"You can d/l the .pdf of the Versys manual at http://www.versys.co.uk/." (JamesG)

> Thank you Sir! With this in hand I am headed to the garage to work with some wiring.
LeanIntuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 03:02 PM   #123
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
I weigh 225 and have the shock in the last knotch. I screwed in the compression screw at the bottom of the shock two clicks. Am going to work on it some more. A little fine tuning here and there and it will be perfect.
william t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:43 PM   #124
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by william t.
No dealer add ons. Blairsville Ga. Depot Power center.
Thanks, I'll head over to Blairsville when I go back to NC.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:11 PM   #125
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone
Thanks, I'll head over to Blairsville when I go back to NC.
You might better call first ,that was the only one I seen unless they have one still crated up.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:36 PM   #126
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,097
Mike (and others), thanks for you input. It's always nice to see comparisons to other bikes you're shopping for, or to ones you have owned. Speaking of, is there anyone here with a Versys who has owned a 1st gen. FZ1 before? I find it to be a fantastic bike overall, but it's just a tad heavy on very tight/windy roads (but a blast on more progressive sweepers and everything else). It even has decent suspension travel at 5.5" and 5.3" front and rear, respectively. Maybe I'm just spoiled by my DRZ's onroad handling though from when I still had the Trail Wings mounted (on knobbies now).

As far as the rear shock, I have read several magazine reviews that were dissatisfied with it, stating that it is oversprung and underdamped, which caused a harsher ride when ridden in rougher terrain (compared to the V-Strom). However, I'm not sure how heavy the testers are that were stating this (the higher spring rate may be a good thing for heavier people like me). MCN recommeded decreasing preload to the lowest setting, or just one notch higher, and then increasing rebound damping to maximum. From what I understand, there is no compression damping adjustment, so I'm not sure what the previous poster is talking about.

Other than the harsh shock, the only other complaint I keep hearing about is the crappy seat that slides you into the tank. Sounds like Kawi's ergos department is a bunch of sadist, since they had the same trouble with the stock Z750s seats.
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:03 PM   #127
hunting1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
I find the seat extremely comftorble and the suspension is great to me. I am 5'11" and a 175-lbs. Ride one and you will have to have one! It is a blast for curves, and windy roads.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:51 PM   #128
olehipi
The Bo's'n

Oddometer: 38
Side cases AND topbox

Am I reading kawi's website correctly, you can't have both the topbox and side cases? It's one or the other??

http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/b...maier%20stuff/
olehipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:06 PM   #129
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Did over 200 miles today and had a lot of fun. The Versys will hum along at 80 mph like nothing. Rode with several sportbikes today and had no trouble keeping up and when we hit the curves it was see you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Since I took my footpeg feelers off I can really lean this baby over. Still touch down but when I am touching down now I am hauling butt. Just a lot fun

Old 12-29-2007, 09:33 PM   #130
roadkilt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Well just traded my 02 KLR for a Versys. Rode it home through heavy rain and some wind, too - and amazed at the difference in stability at freeway speed from the KLR. I fell in love with the Versys a while ago and it fostered the fire to change from my KLR to something more highway-worthy as that is the VAST majority of ridding I do so far. Rode the Vstrom too, and it was a very nice bike - but the Versys seems to have a bit more...panache. I think I am going to really like it (hey, push-to-cancel turn signals) but it ws tough leaving the KLR behind. It was a great bike (and my first). I hope I made the right decision. It just seemed that the KLR was desined for a different type of use, and what I needed it for it wasn't really designed to do.

Anyway, all your input on the Versys has been very helpful and I look forward to more! See ya.

David

Ps- Jeeze that front wheel on the Versys looks tiny
roadkilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:55 AM   #131
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Good luck with the Versys. Did my first oil change yesterday and will need to adjust the chain.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:35 PM   #132
hunting1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Ps- Jeeze that front wheel on the Versys looks tiny
It does, but I do not think you will miss the KLR unless you intend on doing more trail riding than road. I would like to have an 08 KLR to go with my V. Just need to sell the quad. Congrats on your new bike.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:37 AM   #133
sands
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Sounds good William...How did the versys handle at those speeds ? Was it stable and smooth ? Does it feel like the engine is straining to maintain that kind of speed ?
sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:58 AM   #134
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sands
Sounds good William...How did the versys handle at those speeds ? Was it stable and smooth ? Does it feel like the engine is straining to maintain that kind of speed ?
The bike is very stable. Sat. I passed Danny on his Gixxer in a curve and he was going pretty fast. He said he was shocked when I went by. He said I thought to myself that old fart will not get me now and next thing he knew I was gone. Watch my videos and judge for yourselve. The engine is never straining ,you can ride the Versys in 5th and 6th gear and maintain a great pace even in the uphill corners.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:49 PM   #135
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,461
Kinda wish they did this wheel combo or at least a 19 front. How's that Vstrom wheel fitment going? Has anybody heard?

This guy from Finland on the UK Versys site put a Pirelli MT60 rear on the front of his bike. http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op...31&topic=964.0 http://www.versys.co.uk/forum/index....tach=664;image I ran an IRC GP1 (rear) on the front of my Ninja 500 for a little while. It didn't really do anything scary on the road but it definately didn't handle the same. It was very slow turning. Handled a dirt road like nothing I've ever ridden.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...3&d=1159906448

I wonder how a higher performance dual sport 130/80-17 rear would work on the front of a Versys. The specs say it would work on a 3.5" rim and would be nearly as tall as a 110/80-19. It would however be about 1/2" wider than the stock tire and about 1" wider than a 110/80-19.
2013 Piaggio BV350 sold

tonymorr screwed with this post 01-01-2008 at 09:45 PM
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote