Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2008, 05:04 PM   #1336
aposaric
Garden mechanic ;-)

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker
Now, that is one Versys owner that doesn't have a problem with the seat!
I never thought of it that way
aposaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:09 PM   #1337
aposaric
Garden mechanic ;-)

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity
And hopefully have a problem with asphalt.

In CA you can lose your drivers license for stunt riding, reckless riding, irresponsible riding.
Yes, I am aware of that. In Croatia, it is also illegal to street race, but you have no problems if you are faster then the cops, and ofcourse, in my case, I don't do stunt rides on public roads or in the trafic. These is an isolated part of the road, on an really fast and opened slight turn, so you can see half a mile in both directions for oncoming trafic, and ofcourse, I don't go faster than 60 mph (100 km/h) which is a speed limit in this section :-)

and as you can see, I am wearing proffesional protective gear, in case if the tire bursts or a weelee goes wrong .

cheers

aposaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:59 PM   #1338
Marandino
Returning Rider

Oddometer: 6
Now the Secret is Out...

Man, I bust my ass researching bikes to find out what I wanna buy, I read, I ask questions, and I finally determine that this obscure freaky-looking Versys is my perfect bike. I have to cut a couple of deals to have the cash, should have it in Sept or Oct.

The bikes are in limited production, but no problem: nobody seems to know about them and they aren't selling. It should still be sitting at the dealer's when I have the money.

Then Motorcyclist magazine has to go and shine a big spotlight on the Versys, making it MotY. Now the last '08s are gonna sell like hotcakes.

I hope the '09 happens, because it looks like that's what I'll be buying. Hopefully some clever fellow will post instructions on how to clear out the Calif-legal smogstuff.

-John Strauss
Louisville KY
Marandino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:47 PM   #1339
thelouv
ocd

Oddometer: 105
For what it's worth, I think I am gonna jump off the BMW F800GS thread or should I say "waiting line" and wait on something a bit more tangible here. I spoke w/ my local Kawi dealer today who told me of the date of the coming dealer's meeting. I am betting on an adv version of the Versys and will gladly pop down my $ if they return from that meeting saying it is on its way. Since, by late September I still won't have the 800 that was originally gonna be here last March, I can move the deposit around if I want to. Please Kawi, make mine lime green or ZX14 blue!!
Triumph Rocket III (sold)
F800GS (got mine)
Next? Duc 1098 ADV? nope,
went back to a Jeep, and still lovin the GS
thelouv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:21 AM   #1340
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
The Versys pretty much sold out in the southeast way before it made motorcycle of the year. This guy I know really helped them sell in this area.
william t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:44 AM   #1341
abramsgunner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Unless they've sold in the last few weeks, there are still a couple at dealers here in south Alabama. Beasley's in Ozark still had one in the crate when I picked mine up about 5 weeks ago, and Ward's in Troy had one on the floor.
abramsgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:11 AM   #1342
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelouv
... I am betting on an adv version of the Versys and will gladly pop down my $ if they return from that meeting saying it is on its way. ...
If there is an Adv version, I'll be doing some parts swapping. Heck, I might even get the thing painted with Line-X truck bed liner.
'03 KTM 640AdvR - Sold, and I miss her
Several other KTMs, Suzukis, etc.
SATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:34 AM   #1343
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marandino
Then Motorcyclist magazine has to go and shine a big spotlight on the Versys, making it MotY. Now the last '08s are gonna sell like hotcakes.
Hummm... maybe I need to "markup" the price I'm asking for my 08'
Old 08-06-2008, 04:42 PM   #1344
Marandino
Returning Rider

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAbout
Hummm... maybe I need to "markup" the price I'm asking for my 08'
I assume you're joking. But in honesty, you could probably do that. Wait a month until everyone's read the article, and that last lonely Versys has left the dealer's. Law of supply and demand. I'm seeing the '08 Ninja 250 selling on craigslist for MORE than MSRP....

-John Strauss
Louisville KY
Marandino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:50 PM   #1345
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marandino
I assume you're joking. But in honesty, you could probably do that. Wait a month until everyone's read the article, and that last lonely Versys has left the dealer's. Law of supply and demand. I'm seeing the '08 Ninja 250 selling on craigslist for MORE than MSRP....

-John Strauss
Louisville KY
In a month the 2009 Versys (and maybe the Versys GS) will be available.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:22 AM   #1346
FeverDog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
tomato, Where did you get this info from?

If a new Versys GS is being launched I'm gonna have to buy it, no question about it.
FeverDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:08 AM   #1347
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
I just do not understand why people wants a bike with a 18 or 19 inch front wheel to run around on the street and maybe ,just maybe ride on a gravel road every now and then. The Versys is so perfect the way it is. I have not been anywhere yet that street tires and the Versys would not get there. I am taking the knobbies off my 650L and putting Distanzas on. That is as rough as tire that you will need to ride around here on the USFS roads. Maybe some of you ride in the sand out on the desert or have some backroads that are really muddy. I would bet that 99% of you will never go anywhere that a street bike cannot go. In this area you can ride a Goldwing or any other big street bike on the dirt roads that are legal to ride on. I guess that I am different then a lot of you but after 40 years of riding all types of bikes on some really rough roads before we had all these nice smooth roads ,it just seems foolish to want rough tires on a street bike. It is just like all the foolish people who buy four wheel drive trucks and SUVs and never go anywhere where they need four wheel drive ,what a friggin waste of money. I waited a long time for someone to build a bike like the Versys and Kawasaki did it and I am happy. A bike that can do anything that I want to do. The perfect commuter ,a great curve carver ,a pretty decent touring bike and can handle most gravel roads. It would be hard to make any big improvements to this great bike.
william t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:11 AM   #1348
VictorBravoMikeIndia
Low Altitude Flyer

Oddometer: 141
Maybe the shortage of Versys in the states is due to price ? Not sure where they are made but it would seem to be wherever the margin is thinnest then don't oversupply

Over here in the UK my nearest dealer has at least 6 of them.....both ABS and without.
UK price is 4995 for non ABS........ so that about $10 K ( think your price is around $7 K ? )
VictorBravoMikeIndia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:57 AM   #1349
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by william t.
I just do not understand why people wants a bike with a 18 or 19 inch front wheel to run around on the street and maybe ,just maybe ride on a gravel road every now and then.
Actually, I'd like a 21" front, but would settle for a 19". I wouldn't bother changing to an 18".
Quote:
... Maybe some of you ride in the sand out on the desert or have some backroads that are really muddy. I would bet that 99% of you will never go anywhere that a street bike cannot go.
I go to those places all the time... on a dirt bike. I'd go more places on the Versys if I had the capacity that certain changes, such as a larger front wheel and upswept pipe would bring. I didn't get the Versys for that, but those options would be sweet... for me.
Quote:
...It is just like all the foolish people who buy four wheel drive trucks and SUVs and never go anywhere where they need four wheel drive ,what a friggin waste of money.
My bike hauler is a 3/4 ton Dodge diesel with 4 wheel drive. It spends the vast majority of the time on the pavement and smooth dirt and not doing heavy hauling, but I paid for its capacity to handle heavy loads and poor traction, and I've used the tools I paid for with enough frequency that it was anything but a waste of money.

The suspension will be a limiting factor for the Versys in dual sport/adv mode, but I like the fact that it's cheap enough to push its limits, make mistakes, etc.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:00 AM   #1350
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorBravoMikeIndia
Maybe the shortage of Versys in the states is due to price ? Not sure where they are made but it would seem to be wherever the margin is thinnest then don't oversupply

Over here in the UK my nearest dealer has at least 6 of them.....both ABS and without.
UK price is 4995 for non ABS........ so that about $10 K ( think your price is around $7 K ? )
You can't just do an exchange rate calculation. US prices don't include sales tax, but I suspect the UK price you're showing includes a fairly steep VAT tax. Also, there may be excise taxes, duties, tariffs, etc. that vary greatly and affect the consumer price but don't directly reduce or increase the manufacturers' margins.