User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2008, 05:05 PM   #1381
OnlyVees
Moto-journalist

Oddometer: 875
My Givi screen is in the mail.

I'll post some pics once it's on the bike.

I also received my genuine Kawasaki 16-tooth sprocket. I'm going to have a friend at work install it for me.

Stay tuned...
Old 08-15-2008, 05:32 PM   #1382
beemerbum
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
From one more PROUD Versys owner...eh?

Pilot, it was great to meet you in Paonia last month...hopefully your follow-on travels have been good, our trip home on the 07 and 08 GS Advs was unventful and restful (we took our time obviously).

Re the other jealous ones...the Versys is an outstanding motorcycle, value, quality and capability - our two are pretty much fully farkled (see my articles on www.webbikeworld.com) and more stuff is going on this month. The black (Ebony) machine gets used mostly off-road, its MT-60 tires are great, although wearing quickly given high speed road and heavy off-road use...dirt, gravel, fire-roads an worse, the Versys can take it in stride. It may not have GS/GSA quality suspension, but the stock stuff works quite well and it is so light and nimble...a good rider can pretty much stay up with the big guys on most stuff. Over 60mpg (Imperial) is nice as well, even when flogged hard.

Even though currently waiting for an F800GS...the Versys will always have a spot in the garage, and even giving up one of them would be hard to do.

Count me in on the list...perhaps we can get the moderator to start a Versys thread?

Cheers, Bruce
Old 08-15-2008, 06:25 PM   #1383
Navaho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by william t.
I just do not understand why people wants a bike with a 18 or 19 inch front wheel to run around on the street and maybe ,just maybe ride on a gravel road every now and then. ......................... It would be hard to make any big improvements to this great bike.
Most people desire a larger front wheel and offroad tires on a bike because they intend to ride more challenging trails. And when you do ride off the beaten path, eventually you will find mud or sand or something else where a slick 17" front tire will leave you wishing for a 19" or 21" with knobs. If 90% of your riding is street, all you need is a 17" front but a 19" front will work just as good and will also give you more aggressive tire options. You can get by on a 17" with slicks on gravel but not in mud. I rode offroad all the time on my old SV. It was scary though. If there will be mud or even a chance of mud on the journey, I will be on my DR650. Sure, knobbies are less than optimal on the pavement but they work.

I do believe that if Kawasaki would put a 19" front wheel on the Versys, it would be a much better dual-sport and would get a lot more attention.
Navaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:55 PM   #1384
hunting1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
I do believe that if Kawasaki would put a 19" front wheel on the Versys, it would be a much better dual-sport and would get a lot more attention.
They would sell even better! It is a great bike and for some who only ride street about perfect. With some minor mods it would be the ultimate dual sport. I keep thinking I want a GS and than I ride and say maybe I don't. Even if I get one, I think the Versys will stay!
Old 08-15-2008, 08:00 PM   #1385
pilot OP
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbum
Pilot, it was great to meet you in Paonia last month...hopefully your follow-on travels have been good, our trip home on the 07 and 08 GS Advs was unventful and restful (we took our time obviously).

Re the other jealous ones...the Versys is an outstanding motorcycle, value, quality and capability - our two are pretty much fully farkled (see my articles on www.webbikeworld.com) and more stuff is going on this month. The black (Ebony) machine gets used mostly off-road, its MT-60 tires are great, although wearing quickly given high speed road and heavy off-road use...dirt, gravel, fire-roads an worse, the Versys can take it in stride. It may not have GS/GSA quality suspension, but the stock stuff works quite well and it is so light and nimble...a good rider can pretty much stay up with the big guys on most stuff. Over 60mpg (Imperial) is nice as well, even when flogged hard.

Even though currently waiting for an F800GS...the Versys will always have a spot in the garage, and even giving up one of them would be hard to do.
It was a pleasure meeting you two also. Since I got home, I put another MT-60 on the front. I think I got about 6500 miles out of it.

Quote:
Count me in on the list...perhaps we can get the moderator to start a Versys thread?

Cheers, Bruce
Hey, Bruce, I am the moderator and I did start this thread.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:31 PM   #1386
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot
Hey, Bruce, I am the moderator and I did start this thread.
To quote Rodney - I get no respect...

Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:53 AM   #1387
mdaniels
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbum
Pilot, it was great to meet you in Paonia last month...

...see my articles on www.webbikeworld.com) ...
I was in Paonia last month as well and wish I could have met you - I was the other Versys at the rally (although Pilot reported seeing another one as well). You're the reason I own a Versys - if it wasn't for your articles last year I would have never have known about it. Love the bike so far.

I also bought a helmet based on a WBW review. That website costs me to much money.
'03 Honda VLX600 (Wifes) - Sold
'04 Triumph Speedmaster (RIP)
mdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:16 AM   #1388
emmettken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,903
Anyone put lowering links on a Versys? Thanks!
emmettken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:28 PM   #1389
pilot OP
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmettken
Anyone put lowering links on a Versys? Thanks!
The Versys suspension doesn't use links, so the only way to lower it is use a shorter shock.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:30 PM   #1390
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Have you thought about the low gel seat from Kawasaki. That would lower you down and not mess up the suspension.
william t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:51 PM   #1391
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot
The Versys suspension doesn't use links, so the only way to lower it is use a shorter shock.
Somewhere I saw for sale an aluminum machined block that relocated the swingarm end of the shock to lower the bike. I thought it was Ebay. Just loooked there and didn't see it......
2013 Piaggio BV350 sold
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:24 PM   #1392
Gaereth
Walking...

Oddometer: 491
Check the Versys Uk forum and posts by Speedy Gonzales. He makes machined lowering kits, fat feet, and a few other things. He is US based as well.
Gaereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:30 PM   #1393
DrewCopter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
I'm thinking about a Versys as a next street bike. I have an SV650 now but it's going track, and I'll "need" a dedicated street bike once that happens. The problem is, I live in Baltimore. Technically the surface I ride on in the city limit is referred to as a road but I'm not fooled: ripply asphault, patchwork pavement, manhole covers an inch from being flush with the ground, potholes, more potholes...

I have reworked the SV suspension to be more track friendly, but it's quality, with reworked forks and a Penske shock. But these streets have my teeth chattering and my ass being forcefully levitated out of my seat if I forget to stand and pretend I'm in the Dakar.

So I guess my question is... how's the Versys on shit roads? I figure with a softer and ever so slightly longer suspension, it would have to be better. I'm tempted to go full on supermoto for a true long travel suspension and mega bump absorbsion but the versys looks so good all around and I still need to commute highway, get groceries and beer on bike, etc.
DrewCopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 06:29 AM   #1394
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,194
This is exactly what I have been messing with fixing/modifying on my Versys, as I too have many roads with potholes, bumps and rough country roads in general. It seems the guys up around 220 lbs are doing fine (probably smoother roads also), but for me at 180ish it was a bit on the stiff side.

I went with hyperpro springs front and back and think it is slightly better, but still not a lot of travel, does not bottom either stock or with my addon.

It has pretty good adjustment front and back, but can be improved.

I also am pretty biased as my GT handles these same bumps like nothing, but it is heavier and longer wheelbase with better suspension overall.

If slightly on the pegs the Versys will handle anything! Very fun to zoom around country roads for sure and will do 80 on the occasional interstate commute.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:26 PM   #1395
Marandino
Returning Rider

Oddometer: 6
50 State Versys Anti-Smog Devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity

The ['09 Versys] smog should be the same as (or very close to) the Ninja 650R.

This is just my opinion and we all know what that means.
Yeah, now that you say it, that seems like an extremely reasonable best guess, one I should have thought of myself.

-John Strauss
Louisville KY
Marandino is offline   Reply With Quote