Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2008, 06:08 PM   #1396
beemerbum
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Sorry to have missed you at Paonia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaniels
I was in Paonia last month as well and wish I could have met you - I was the other Versys at the rally (although Pilot reported seeing another one as well). You're the reason I own a Versys - if it wasn't for your articles last year I would have never have known about it. Love the bike so far.

I also bought a helmet based on a WBW review. That website costs me to much money.
...good to hear that your Versys experience is going well...re the website costing you money - and your point is? LOL.

Let the farkling continue...

Cheers
Old 08-17-2008, 06:13 PM   #1397
beemerbum
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
I stand humbly corrected...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot
It was a pleasure meeting you two also. Since I got home, I put another MT-60 on the front. I think I got about 6500 miles out of it.

Hey, Bruce, I am the moderator and I did start this thread.
Point 1 - had been wondering re this...now clarified.

Point 2 - I think both my front and back will go at least the distance you got, which is a 1-2K more than I had originally figured. I find the Versys pretty easy on tires...but the trip to Finger Lakes Rally at end of month will probably bring them close to a comfortable wear level.

Stay safe
Old 08-18-2008, 08:11 PM   #1398
PO-SLOKE
" ONTO " Member # 3

Oddometer: 386
Real Bikes

Here are my two . May I humbly add that personally I can afford ANY bike I so choose to ride . I just prefer reliability and parts availablity over an ego that allows some to throw cash in the trash .
Oh yeah , by the way . I can't imagine how a street bike like the wonderful Versys ever got considered to be a DS , Adventure or any other label other than what it is . A Dual Purpose , meaning Sport/Light Touring .
I think folks must have hit their heads or something when I hear them say the Versys is an off/on road bike or DS . Makes me laff pretty hard .
If that is the case so is a Goldwing with 80/20's . LOL
Attached Images

DON'T RIDE AT ALL !
Ethics people, ethics
PO-SLOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:01 AM   #1399
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Great bikes and I agree with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
william t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:47 AM   #1400
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,466
Glad to hear you guys are enjoying your Versys as they are. I already have a great streetbike (VFR800). I still want a 650cc twin dual sport and mine is almost ready to ride. Laugh away! I've been laughed at before, it doesn't bother me.

Edit: You can laff away too if you want, hehe.
2013 Piaggio BV350 sold
tonymorr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:02 AM   #1401
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Check this out. It does make an improvement.

http://forums.kawasakiversys.com/showthread.php?t=661
Old 08-21-2008, 08:10 AM   #1402
Stillupright
Make my day

Oddometer: 298
So William, did you do this mod? It would appear so from your comment.
Stillupright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:20 AM   #1403
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillupright
So William, did you do this mod? It would appear so from your comment.
I did the mod and it is well worth the 5 min. it will take. Throttle responce in much improved. It slowed the idle down so I had to set it back to specs. I love almost free improvements.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:52 PM   #1404
william t.
Studly Adventurer

Headlamp adjustment

The owners manual says to remove the fairing but Steve was wiser and told me to use a phillips screwdriver. That was a good ideal. Me being the old country boy I am just had to try to find an easier way and it was simple. I turned the forks all the way to the right and spotted the adjuster and thought just maybe my hand will reach right in there. It was so easy ,I could not beleive I waited this long to adjust the light. Just slide my arm in from the bottom ,no problem. Sometimes you are a nut and sometimes you are not.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:01 AM   #1405
gcb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by william t.
I did the mod and it is well worth the 5 min. it will take. Throttle responce in much improved. It slowed the idle down so I had to set it back to specs. I love almost free improvements.
I'm lost... versys with carbs?
gcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:08 AM   #1406
william t.
Studly Adventurer

No carbs ,throttle bodys.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:50 PM   #1407
mdaniels
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by william t.
Check this out. It does make an improvement.

http://forums.kawasakiversys.com/showthread.php?t=661
Thanks for pointing us to that. I just did that mod today and it's a definite improvement to the low-end throttle response.

My local NAPA had the hose but not the T connector so I ended up at Home Depot in the plumbing area. Nothing small enough. The lawn sprinkler area was right there and I found a pack of 5 T connectors for $1.50, so I bought them. I know they're not designed for engine use, so I'll keep an eye on it, but I have a feeling they'll be fine...

I also "debadged" the bike today. Now nobody will know what it is.
'03 Honda VLX600 (Wifes) - Sold
'04 Triumph Speedmaster (RIP)

mdaniels screwed with this post 08-24-2008 at 08:35 AM
mdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 06:19 PM   #1408
william t.
Studly Adventurer

It is a nice little mod. Just that extra litle kick feels nice.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:46 PM   #1409
mdaniels
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Redoing the seat, Part 2

You may remember that I reformed my seat earlier in the summer: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1143

Overall reforming the seat did wonders, it was very comfortable and much improved over the stock seat. Even on my weekend trip to the Paonia BMW rally where I spent 9 hrs on the bike one day I had no complaints about the comfort.

But a few things were nagging me; it was a little too tall for my tastes, the fabric wasn't stretched smooth in some places, and overall it looked a little bloated. I thought I could do a little better a 2nd time around.

First thing was to get a decent stapler; Surebonder 9600, I ordered it from Amazon.com - I also applied for the Amazon visa card at the same time and got $30 off my first purchase, so with shipping it was about $6:

You can see my old staples that didn't go in very well:

My original intention was to completely remove the new foam I had added, reform the stock seat again, then add my foam back in and a new smoothing layer.

It didn't take long to realize that the glue I used was some strong stuff and "removing" the newer foam wasn't going to be as easy as pulling it off. So I started shaving it off, but not completely:

When I got it where I liked it, I added a new smoothing layer of foam. I got this from Joann fabrics, they had it labeled as "headliner fabric":

Then stapled it all back up - very easy with the new stapler and it's much neater looking as well:

And then back onto the bike:

More photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/1155840...7606937054501/

The seat now looks really nice and not so bloated. The jury is still out if its more comfortable or not - it took a few days for it to break in the last time I did the seat. This morning it didn't seem as comfortable, but maybe I was just having a bad underwear day.
'03 Honda VLX600 (Wifes) - Sold
'04 Triumph Speedmaster (RIP)

mdaniels screwed with this post 08-26-2008 at 06:59 AM
mdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:29 AM   #1410
OnlyVees
Moto-journalist

Oddometer: 875
Official word from Sargent

While we're talking about the wonderful seat on the Versys, I heard back from Sargent today. I was expecting a form-email. Here's what they sent me-

"We did in fact have the Versys in our sites for a Premium Foam Upgrade or PFU but, unfortunately, the PFU for the Versys has been canceled. Please see below for further information.

We have always brought a loaner machine into our studio to study and develop Sargent seats. We had full intensions to bring a new line of product to our Versys riders until we got the machine in here.This particular stock seat has some real problems from the start. The original design of the stock pan and how it attaches to the machine made it pretty much impossible to get the riding platform level. The transition between the front and rear riding platforms in the pan has a serious "hump" in it. One of the complaints that we were receiving is common in allot of the sport bike models in that the seat has a tendency to force you to slide forward into the tank. Not a good thing primarily for the gentleman riders. Another problem it has it that the distance between the seat and the pegs is shorter than most machines making it a bit uncomfortable for our longer legged clients.
Our goal was to level out the riders platform to prevent the tank encounters by cutting into the rear portion of the front seat and raising the front portion.
We also wanted to try and raise the height a bit to give the rider more room between the seat and pegs and dishing the riders platform would allow more surface area to make contact with the rider to prevent pressure points.
The pan design prevented us from getting the seat 100% level with out bottoming out on the rear portion of the pan. We can only raise the front of the foam so much before the foam starts to give under the stretching of the cover thus preventing us from attaining the 1" increase in height most our clients were asking for. We did however manage to dish the seating area and add the Super Cell foam to make the ride more comfortable and get the level closer to where is should be to prevent the rider from being forced into the tank.
Unfortunately, because of the difficult pan design, the design team has decided that we will not be offering a template PFU for this machine. We will however, work with individual riders in Custom Seat Services. This way, instead of offering a seat we that cannot attain the perfect design Sargent is known for, we can offer an improved seat with the clients understanding that this particular seat has some issues that will not allow us to arrive at the optimum level or a much higher riding platform Sargent Cycle would of liked to attain in this design as per our clients requests. Please take a moment and check out our Custom Seat Services if you want an improved seat designed around your specifications within the limitations of the stock pan at http://www.sargentcycle.com/custserv.htm . There you can see the options we have to offer and learn how it is done. I have attached a photo of the one seat we did for a client during our study of the Versys. Though we could not attain exactly what he needed because of the limitations of the stock pan, he was quite satisfied with the improved comfort of the seat over all."

Just passing this along. Does anyone have a Corbin on their Versys yet?