Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 03:15 PM   #1
ryandalling OP
Joined: Jul 2008
Oddometer: 8
Off Road Permit?

So, I used to do quads and dirt bikes all the time with tags. Do I need to get an off road tag for my F800GS also, or do road tags work? Mainly just for forest service roads.... probably need one for my jeep too?

Just not sure the laws.
ryandalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:35 PM   #2
Gnarly Adventurer
Hohmie's Avatar
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Bend Or
Oddometer: 342
The OHV tags are mainly for designated OHV only trails. Shared use roads you can get by with a license plate unless you're on an OHV that doesn't have a plate.
It's not a bad thing to get though for $10, some of the bathrooms need moar t.p.!
Hohmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:27 PM   #3
MortimerSickle's Avatar
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
Oddometer: 11,540
I keep one on my KTM 950 just for the odd time I might venture down a regulated trail. I have done so only once or twice, and probably would not have been caught, but as Hohmie said, it costs only ten bucks for two years, and goes for a good cause.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:32 PM   #4
Dragon Rider
Thought is free--WS
Dragon Rider's Avatar
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: "Sunny" Portland Oregon
Oddometer: 219
in addition to the permit for the bike, in Oregon you will also need the permit for you.
(atv 'education card')

Class III Permits
Class III motorcycle
Tom Niemela photo

Operators with a suspended or revoked drivers license may not operate any class ATV


For vehicles riding on two tires and that is actually being operated off highway.
Meet the safety equipment standards for off road vehicles.

Operator requirements (applies only to public OHV riding areas):

Must be at least 7 years of age

All operators must hold a valid ATV Safety Education Card

Youth must also successfully complete a hands-on training course

Youth under 16 must be supervised by an adult who is at least 18 years old and holds a valid ATV Safety Education Card and can provide immediate assistance and direction to the children.

Youth under 18 must wear a DOT approved helmet with the chin strap fastened.
Dragon Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:35 PM   #5
Beastly Adventurer
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Elmira, Oar-agin
Oddometer: 1,225
*actually being operated off highway

Had no luck getting them to define if that means asphalt, gravel or what. Pretty vague.
So many rides, so little time.

Loren, somewhere on a DR350SE
doggitter is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014