ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2008, 09:40 PM   #1561
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer: 3,859
Sorry. Long day at work!! I'll get some up tonight before I get to bed... I promise.

ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:54 PM   #1562
capt ed
Capt Ed

Oddometer: 527
I'll start it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell
Sorry. Long day at work!! I'll get some up tonight before I get to bed... I promise.
Hey RWC I will get it started.

08 DL650
02 DRZ400

AKA CPT. CRUNCH
IAMC
Friend of RWC
capt ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:46 PM   #1563
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

This wonderful ride actually started with a tragedy. I'd gotten my XRR ready for the ride, and took it out for a shake-down ride Thur night. Well, I got a little aggressive with it, and laid it down. No big deal... except for the horrific flaw the XRR has with flooding the airbox and washing out the rim grease. So... long story short, I sucked dirt into my airbox (without knowing it)... again... and plugged up the carb with mud (and perhaps trashed the top end again... I'll check on that this weekend). Coupled with having broken of 8 teeth from the rear sprocket... she was in sad shape.

I went to go get my KLR ready for the ride... only to notice that the lugs on the Kings tires were breaking off and falling apart. Great. 2 bikes, and neither of them ready for the trip. I told Phil of my plight and his solution was "Dude, just come get my DRZ". It didn't take much convincing. I strolled over to his placed, and picked it up. An hour later, it was ready to roll.

We (Tom, Ed, and myself) left at 4 and headed to Spencer's Res. We went through Oreana, and up Bachman's Grade. The pea gravel was nasty, nasty, nasty. I thought... crap, this is going to be a long weekend if this is how the DRZ handles gravel! Turns out, it was just that road that was getting everyone.

The cool old church in Oreana.

Nasty pea gravel.

The climb up Bachman's.

Specner's Res.

Turns out, Spencer's is all private land. So we opted to camp near a spring instead, a mile up the road. We got out camp set up, and started to find fire wood.

What do you do when your good buddy is kind enough to loan you their bike? Haul fire wood with it. Fortunatly, Phil never reads my posts on ADVrider... so he'll never know.

In all fairness I was more cautious with Phil's baby, then I've ever been with any other bike in my life... Heath can attest to that!! He gave me dirty looks when I slowed down to 1st gear through all the rocks, throughout the trip.

Todd and Norb showed at 7:30, and Heath/Ed/Dave showed at 8:30. We sat around the campfire, eating, BSing, and downing adult beverages for quite some time. The Milky Way even made an appearance. It was a GREAT night around the campfire. Dave's Brat's made the night.

It rained on us most of the night from midnight on, and the wind whipped all night. But, by morning, everything as dried out, and we didn't get a drop of rain on us that day (nor any other day, for that matter... at least not enough to bead on my visor).

Heath cooked himself up a turd-dog for breakfast.

... then put on his Ninja suit for a full day of Ninja-riding.

We headed out Antelope Ridge first thing... which was a FANTASTIC piece of two track.

The traction was near perfect, due to the light rain, which made the dirt moist but not muddy.

After the 16 miles of Antelope two track, we met up on Mud Flat and re-grouped. We spent a mile or two on Mud Flat, and the turned south on Battle Creek.

Battle Creek was more steller two track.

There was an intense section of rock coming out of Battle Creek ~ I hope someone got a pic of it... but I sure didn't. If anyone knows my pic taking style... they know that I can't ride the nasty stuff and take pics at the same time... and there was no way in heck I was letting go of the handlebars during that section!!

One of the very few nasty sections we came into, was just past this old house. There was about 3-5 miles of slick mud, which made the most aggressive of knobs totally useless.

This is Heath's full-on intermediate dirt knobbie!

Katy slippin' and slidin' her way down the hill.

Ed's bike got sleepy, and took a nap.

My theory was "Spin the tire fast enough that the mud flips off"... seemed to keep the rear relatively clean.

There were 2 A-10's that were circling us over head. One of the times they did a fly-by that was REALLY close to us. Very cool.

We continued on the two track, which ultimatly dumped us into Riddle.

Katy and Alan, who came all the way down from Pendleton to ride with us. They're a blast to ride with.

My partner in crime (if you consider speeding a crime).

We gassed-up and ate in Owyhee. We then headed south on the highway for 15 miles before turning east to Jarbidge. Ed's original plan was to run gravel to Jarbidge. I'd wanted to to a 4wd track. However... at some point, we got lost, and ironically, ended up running the exact route I'd wanted to run. I'm REALLY glad we did, because the views were AMAZING!!

Other than the Tiger, this was was exceptional terrain for the DS bikes. Tom's Tiger didn't care for the mud, but he naviges that big beast like a pro. However, as usual, Tom did get the opportunity to hose me with mud again on this ride. That's the third time this season too. On the poker fun run, he hosed me on the Tollgate track when running Deathwings on this KLR... on the Central Idaho ride he threw golfball-size rocks into my crotch, and this time he again threw mud all over me. If it weren't for the port he's been providing all season... I'd say he owes me dinner. On second though.... he did provide an amazing steak on the Get High Ride... so I think we're even.

We pulled into Jarbidge a little before 6pm. We'd ridden around 170 miles that day... most of which was 2 track or Jeep trail. It was an AMAZING day or riding. One of the best I've ever had. Ed was able to secure us a cabin in Jarbidge (thanks Ed!), so we were able to sleep on the floor and stay out of the rain that night. Most went to dinner at the diner, and then we watched a little of the USC vs Oregon game before BSing and going to bed.

I'll get Sunday's pics up tomorrow night... and the tale of Heath's sleepy stupor.

RWC

Old 10-07-2008, 07:42 AM   #1564
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,039
Good report so far Ryan. Although the last time I checked, my name isn't Katy. Her picture is a few down the line from that caption.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:43 AM   #1565
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383
Good report so far Ryan. Although the last time I checked, my name isn't Katy. Her picture is a few down the line from that caption.
Well... I was dead tired last night when I wrote it. But I was afraid I'd be skinned if I didn't get something up.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #1566
jaredinbend
blah, blah, blah

Oddometer: 55
Man that looks fun...wish I wasn't coaching....
Old 10-07-2008, 03:34 PM   #1567
HeadingNorth
Keep On The Gas!!

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
;.....Although the last time I checked, my name isn't Katy. ......
Yeah but you got great legs.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #1568
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadingNorth
Yeah but you got great legs.
Oh, it's my legs. That might explain Heaths actions in the wee hours Sunday morning.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:48 PM   #1569
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,399
Wicked I KNEW it!

Quote:
Oh, it's my legs. That might explain Heaths actions in the wee hours Sunday morning.
Heath!
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:55 PM   #1570
capt ed
Capt Ed

Oddometer: 527
great job Ryan

It was a fun time, all that missed it missed a lot. Great riding and great friends.

08 DL650
02 DRZ400

AKA CPT. CRUNCH
IAMC
Friend of RWC
capt ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:01 PM   #1571
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Sunday

A few pics from the day before, which I missed...

Ed riding Rowland Rd into Jarbidge.

The base of Jarbidge in the background.

I have a hard time sleeping while I'm camping, so I usually take a sleeping pill to help me sleep. I was fast asleep when I wake to Heath towering over Ed (we were all sleeping in the floor of the living room) in a half-sleep stoopor. "Who are you?" Heath inquires. "I can't hear you, I have my ear plugs in..." replies Ed. As Ed takes out his ear plugs, Heath realizes he's not at home (as he thought he was)... and the strange man laying on what he thought was his apartment floor is Ed. As a 3rd party, it was hysterical... and it gets funnier each time Heath retells the story. Fortune has it, Heath didn't monkey-stomp Ed, thinking Ed was an intruder.

As we laugh our butts off hearing the story the next morning, as we enjoy our coffee and breakfast... I remember how much I love this sport, and sharing it with friends.

That morning, the group decided to take a different route out of Jarbidge than the one planned. One that was a bit easier, and didn't hit the places I wanted to see. So, Heath and I loaded the GPS, and headed out on our own after saying goodbye and thanks to everyone, for the good times and great fellowship.

Heath and I headed out of Jarbidge, and my GPS was giving my fits. I was fiddling with it, looked up, and I was headed for the colvert. I was only going like 25-30mph, so I just locked them both up, and headed up the hillside (knowing that it was an inconvinience, not a danger). Apparently, Heath had zoned-out too, and was tracking my bike instead of taking his own line... so... moments later, his front tire tagged my rear tire, as he followed my line right up the hill. I was laughing so hard, I nearly dropped Phil's bike. As you can see from the pic, Heath thought it was quite humorous as well.

We headed up out of Jarbidge at a very steep rate, on a road that was cut deep into a steep hillside.

We headed out, in search of The Arch, not knowing how to get there ~ we only had a Lat, Lon to follow.

We stumbled upon an old resevoir, in the middle of nowhere. Very strange.

We continued north on two track.

We found a really cool canyon, which had many mini-arches, caves, and other neat rock formations. We stopped and looked around for a while.

The road in a out of the canyon was a 3+ difficulty... but not too bad.

We continued north, and came to the end of the tracks... which meant we'd found the area. We hiked around for a while, and saw The Arch. Quite impressive... but it was at the bottom of a very deep and straight-down from where we were canyon. The pics don't due it justice, as you can't see the size of it... but it a stream runs through it, and it was quite impressive.

The Arch

We were very hot from hiking around... so Heath just dropped his trousers to cure that problem.

We hung out there for a while, and had a pseudo lunch. Then packed it up, and headed west to try and find Black Rock Crossing.

Our tracks turned into cow trails... but I knew from the GPS that we were headed in the right direction, so we continued.

Smart-ass.

We came over the crest, and the Bruneau canyon seemed to come out of nowhere. It was very impressive.

We followed the trail into the canyon, to Black Rock Crossing. It was an ATV trail, that would be quite a handful on a bigger bike.

We crossed the river, which was quite low this time of the year. It would surely be impassable in the Spring and early Summer.

We climbed out the other side (which was much more difficult that the way into the canyon ~ a level 4 climb), and headed to Rowland Rd.

It was an amazing stroke of luck that right as Heath and I pulled up to Rowland road.... there went the whole group of riders through the intersection!! We left Jarbidge 4 hours earlier... and got through the intersection at the exact same time... what are the odds??

The main group was going to take mostly pavement home. Heath and I wanted to hit Wickahoney, so we said our goodbyes... again... and split for Wickahoney.

Heath at his best.

Wickahoney.

Heath and I were both getting low on fuel, so this is where our adventure ended. We hit Shoefly to Mudflat, and headed for Grand View.

This was hands-down the best fall ride I've been on. I'll surely be hitting this one again next year.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:05 PM   #1572
4r22mny
Old n' Slow

Oddometer: 291
What happened to Clear Creek??

Silly me, I took off yesterday with intentions of going -- Up Rocky Canyon, down the other side, Up Robie Creek to the top (past where the Pines Tavern used to be for any old timers out there) and then on to Clear Creek and then had a loop behind Idaho City on Warmsprings Ridge planned.

Wow, what happened?? First of all, they built about 5,000,000 houses -- I kinda knew that --- BUT, I got up a ways and there was a fork in the road, I thought I remembered it but the one I wanted to take was marked "private" --- something or rather gulch or canyon or something, the other one was marked "tollgate road".

I took it but I just knew I was going where I didn't want to --- long story short, I came out on the Ridge Road, about a mile southeast of where it joins with the 8th street road --- I think we used to call the trail where I came out "humpty bump". By the way, the snow is hiding pretty good on some of the North facing downhills -- if you're gassing it - beware!!

What the heck happened to Clear Creek, is it now closed or something??

I guess I'll have to come at it from the other end to see where it is now, am I going to get shot at??

4r

05 1200 GS
04 1300 FJR
06 XR650R
4r22mny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:57 AM   #1573
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4r22mny
Silly me, I took off yesterday with intentions of going -- Up Rocky Canyon, down the other side, Up Robie Creek to the top (past where the Pines Tavern used to be for any old timers out there) and then on to Clear Creek and then had a loop behind Idaho City on Warmsprings Ridge planned.

Wow, what happened?? First of all, they built about 5,000,000 houses -- I kinda knew that --- BUT, I got up a ways and there was a fork in the road, I thought I remembered it but the one I wanted to take was marked "private" --- something or rather gulch or canyon or something, the other one was marked "tollgate road".

I took it but I just knew I was going where I didn't want to --- long story short, I came out on the Ridge Road, about a mile southeast of where it joins with the 8th street road --- I think we used to call the trail where I came out "humpty bump". By the way, the snow is hiding pretty good on some of the North facing downhills -- if you're gassing it - beware!!

What the heck happened to Clear Creek, is it now closed or something??

I guess I'll have to come at it from the other end to see where it is now, am I going to get shot at??

4r
No, you can still get through Clear Creek. However, as you mentioned, there are lots of "Private" roads up there not. The only you took up to BRR, Heath and I did this summer as well. To get over Clear Creek and to the tavern, you just stay right on the forks, and it'll get you there.

PS ~ Daggett Creek is marked "Private" now, as well. :(

Old 10-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #1574
4r22mny
Old n' Slow

Oddometer: 291
???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell
No, you can still get through Clear Creek. However, as you mentioned, there are lots of "Private" roads up there not. The only you took up to BRR, Heath and I did this summer as well. To get over Clear Creek and to the tavern, you just stay right on the forks, and it'll get you there.

PS ~ Daggett Creek is marked "Private" now, as well. :(
How the hell do they get away with that anyway?? I think I'll go back with one of these

Is the one on Dagett legit?? Or do you know, or, better yet, where can one find out what is legal and what isn't??

4r

05 1200 GS
04 1300 FJR
06 XR650R
4r22mny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:58 PM   #1575
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4r22mny
How the hell do they get away with that anyway?? I think I'll go back with one of these

Is the one on Dagett legit?? Or do you know, or, better yet, where can one find out what is legal and what isn't??

4r
I'm not sure about Daggett, because it's only marked from the bottom ~ there aren't any signs at the top.

The opposite is true of Humpty Bump ~ only signs at the top (and a locked gate, for that matter), but no signs at the bottom.

I think the county would have a map of the most current private areas.

A lot of BLM maps are up to date on that kind of stuff too... which can be found online if you know what you're looking for (they're acually land claim maps, and other sorts of public info maps).