ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2008, 08:17 PM   #1576
ditchbanker
Owner of dull user line

Oddometer: 1,143
Nothing to really say, except that my 10 weeks of confinement are almost up, and I'll be ready to ride some dirt again. Even considering trading the 650 for a drz400 (I guess I'm a slave to area trends).

Like I said, I don't really have anything to contribute, but thought that bumping this to page 1 might get some other locals to toss their two cents in and hold me over until November when I can ride again.

--Heath
ditchbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:28 PM   #1577
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchbanker
Nothing to really say, except that my 10 weeks of confinement are almost up, and I'll be ready to ride some dirt again. Even considering trading the 650 for a drz400 (I guess I'm a slave to area trends).

Like I said, I don't really have anything to contribute, but thought that bumping this to page 1 might get some other locals to toss their two cents in and hold me over until November when I can ride again.
Do it. You won't regret it.

Plus, then Heath's mentoring won't look so miserable.

ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:31 AM   #1578
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Easier ride Saturday morning.

http://motoidaho.com/pub/eventView.a...4-8f26490762cc

Old 10-21-2008, 10:04 AM   #1579
Heath
Coke-The choice of Angels

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
(I guess I'm a slave to area trends)
Do it. Everybody else is... you wanna be cool, don't you? Popular?

I thought so.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:36 PM   #1580
capt ed
Capt Ed

Oddometer: 529
don't do it

Quote:

Hey I got dr650 stuff to sell you.I guess I can find another sucker.

08 DL650
02 DRZ400

AKA CPT. CRUNCH
IAMC
Friend of RWC
capt ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:28 PM   #1581
ditchbanker
Owner of dull user line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath
Do it. Everybody else is... you wanna be cool, don't you? Popular?

I thought so.
Why would I start now?

I'm having second thoughts, just because I, once again, find myself in a position where it would take me a long time to outfit another bike.

Ed, if I do decide to take the trade, I'll pass that info on to the new owner

--Heath
Old 10-21-2008, 08:15 PM   #1582
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Quote:
Why would I start now?

I'm having second thoughts, just because I, once again, find myself in a position where it would take me a long time to outfit another bike.

Ed, if I do decide to take the trade, I'll pass that info on to the new owner
Difference is, you won't have to do TOO much to get the DRZ ready to ride.

Throw a bag on the bag like Heath does, or saddlbags like Phil does, and you're ready to roll. A bigger tank is the only real must, isn't it?

Old 10-22-2008, 03:56 AM   #1583
Kujo1967
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Is the BBQ an open event or just club members?
Saturday I'm doing a loop from Mt Home-Atlanta, then taking the middle fork back towards lucky peak then hopefully Mayfield and the Danskins on the way back home.
I could bring some hot dogs
Old 10-22-2008, 05:57 AM   #1584
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kujo1967
Is the BBQ an open event or just club members?
Saturday I'm doing a loop from Mt Home-Atlanta, then taking the middle fork back towards lucky peak then hopefully Mayfield and the Danskins on the way back home.
I could bring some hot dogs
It's open to whomever, so please feel free to join us ~ we'd love to have you.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:39 PM   #1585
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell
It's open to whomever, so please feel free to join us ~ we'd love to have you.
I'll see you all at the BBQ it should be fun
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:24 PM   #1586
ditchbanker
Owner of dull user line

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell
Difference is, you won't have to do TOO much to get the DRZ ready to ride.

Throw a bag on the bag like Heath does, or saddlbags like Phil does, and you're ready to roll. A bigger tank is the only real must, isn't it?
Don't know about that. Bigger tank, skid plate, bark busters, SU racks, case savers, luggage rack (I think), seat improvement, heated grips, pro taper bars. Could start to get a little spendy. Not ruled out yet, just second thinking.

--Heath
Old 10-22-2008, 06:13 PM   #1587
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Quote:
Don't know about that. Bigger tank, skid plate, bark busters, SU racks, case savers, luggage rack (I think), seat improvement, heated grips, pro taper bars. Could start to get a little spendy. Not ruled out yet, just second thinking.
The bark busters could come off your DR. The seat can be used as is, if you have an ass of steel (or ride less than 4 hours at a time ), I don't have heated grips on my XRR, Moose ATV bars are $17, I'm not sure I see the point of case savers, I'd be shocked if you're dragging it over rocks (based on my not hitting a single rock while on Phil's bike... though I surely am an advocate for skid plates), and as Heath proves, you can get away with just a rear rack.

That being said... someone could have said my XRR was adventure ready too (or nearly), and I still dropped 2k into it. ..... so I surely understand your point.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:37 PM   #1588
kdub
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
bikes

Sorry for the thread jack but from the pictures you guys post you guys are definitely riders. I'm looking to get back into dirt riding/exploring. I used to ride a 70's something Kawi 2stroke enduro many years ago in North Central Idaho. I'm currently riding a wee strom. It's a great bike but way too heavy for me for much long distance of roading like you guys seem to do. I like the light weight of the new 250's (KLx XT etc) but not sure if they have enough grunt. What are you guys riding? I'll be exploring SE Oregon, and most of Idaho next summer on the new bike. As for highway speeds, fast enough not to get run over is all the 'faster' I need to be. Primary factors in buying decision will be reliability and ease/frequency of maintenance. Again, sorry for the thread jack. Look forward to seeing you guys on the trail next year. Kdub.
kdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #1589
Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdub
Sorry for the thread jack but from the pictures you guys post you guys are definitely riders. I'm looking to get back into dirt riding/exploring. I used to ride a 70's something Kawi 2stroke enduro many years ago in North Central Idaho. I'm currently riding a wee strom. It's a great bike but way too heavy for me for much long distance of roading like you guys seem to do. I like the light weight of the new 250's (KLx XT etc) but not sure if they have enough grunt. What are you guys riding? I'll be exploring SE Oregon, and most of Idaho next summer on the new bike. As for highway speeds, fast enough not to get run over is all the 'faster' I need to be. Primary factors in buying decision will be reliability and ease/frequency of maintenance. Again, sorry for the thread jack. Look forward to seeing you guys on the trail next year. Kdub.
Seems like a lot of people are going for the drz400 lately. It's a pretty good compromise bike with pretty light weight (for a dual sport), easy maintenance interval, and a decently strong subframe. They sure as heck don't have any torque but they make up for it in revvs and suspension once you get used to riding them...
Old 10-23-2008, 03:36 PM   #1590
Heath

Quote:
I remember when you were saying that about your DR too man... it might take some time, but all you NEED are the tank and skid plate (if the bike doesn't already have them). I'm pretty sure I've got a set of bark busters at my parent's house I can donate to your cause.

And dude, I did a 500 mile day on the stock DRZ seat. I think you can manage.