ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2008, 05:34 PM   #1591
ditchbanker
Owner of dull user line

Oddometer: 1,143
Yeah, I might see if I can go take a look at his bike this weekend. It would be a good time.

I also want to know where RWC is getting $17 bars.

Also, kdub, what are your height and weight? Has some impact on bike choice. That said, I love my DR but am considering switching to a DRZ.

--Heath
ditchbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:46 PM   #1592
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath
Seems like a lot of people are going for the drz400 lately. It's a pretty good compromise bike with pretty light weight (for a dual sport), easy maintenance interval, and a decently strong subframe. They sure as heck don't have any torque but they make up for it in revvs and suspension once you get used to riding them...
I agree with Heath. I was impressed with Phil's bike (DRZ400) when I rode it for 600 miles in a weekend. They're not the bike for me, but I can absolutely see why so many guys like them. They're reliable, easy to work on, fast in the power band, light, and well suspended from the factory.

ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:32 PM   #1593
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

These are all I use anymore... $17.

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/prod...dFamilyId=5606

Old 10-24-2008, 01:43 AM   #1594
kdub
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchbanker
Yeah, I might see if I can go take a look at his bike this weekend. It would be a good time.

I also want to know where RWC is getting $17 bars.

Also, kdub, what are your height and weight? Has some impact on bike choice. Th

at said, I love my DR but am considering switching to a DRZ.
I'm 6' 2" ~ 230. I've been looking around here (tri cities / Yakima) for a used 650xrl or a drz 400. The bike has to be street legal. I found a lightly used '07 klx 250 for what seemed a reasonable price and am wondering if it would be enough bike. The lighter weight appeals to me and I'm not into winning any races. I'm just looking to do some exploring - dirt/gravel forest roads, single and two track etc. Anywho, I've enjoyed your pictures and rr's and appreciate your input. kdub.
kdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:15 AM   #1595
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdub
I'm 6' 2" ~ 230. I've been looking around here (tri cities / Yakima) for a used 650xrl or a drz 400. The bike has to be street legal. I found a lightly used '07 klx 250 for what seemed a reasonable price and am wondering if it would be enough bike. The lighter weight appeals to me and I'm not into winning any races. I'm just looking to do some exploring - dirt/gravel forest roads, single and two track etc. Anywho, I've enjoyed your pictures and rr's and appreciate your input. kdub.
I liked Heath's L, but he swears the DRZ is better in nearly every category except torque... and of course the L's countershaft issue.

I've seen a lot of guys who like the KLX250. I've been on the XT225, and it was a great little 6 speed bike that was very trail worthy (if you're not riding hard). Problem would be getting any luggage on it for a weekend trip ~ you'd have to get creative.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:18 AM   #1596
Heath
Coke-The choice of Angels

Oddometer: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdub
Right, I'm 6'5" and 250. Both bikes are cramped, but I think the DRZ less so. I had a lot of issues with the L in the 10,000 miles I rode it ~ broken subframe, burning oil (top end going bye-bye), heat issues (until I spent the $300 on an oil cooler), harsh suspension, twitchy steering (put me on my head twice ~ $450 for a Scotts damper)... and finally the counter shaft stripped.

:ymca

I've ridden the DRZ harder than I ever did the L, and after nearly 8,000 miles on the thing this summer, all I've had to do is change the oil and clean the air filter. I've checked the valves twice and they've never moved... the chain and sprockets are about done, but other than that the bike's been flawless.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:02 AM   #1597
kdub
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Thanks for the info on the XRL. My son had an XT225 several years ago. It was a pretty good little bike iirc. Hmmmm. No test rides around here and the used pickens have been pretty thin. I guess I'm making a trip to the dealer tomorrow. Thanks for the input. kdub.
kdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:26 AM   #1598
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath
Right, I'm 6'5" and 250. Both bikes are cramped, but I think the DRZ less so. I had a lot of issues with the L in the 10,000 miles I rode it ~ broken subframe, burning oil (top end going bye-bye), heat issues (until I spent the $300 on an oil cooler), harsh suspension, twitchy steering (put me on my head twice ~ $450 for a Scotts damper)... and finally the counter shaft stripped.

:ymca

I've ridden the DRZ harder than I ever did the L, and after nearly 8,000 miles on the thing this summer, all I've had to do is change the oil and clean the air filter. I've checked the valves twice and they've never moved... the chain and sprockets are about done, but other than that the bike's been flawless.
All good points, but that pig was used when you got to too... who knows what the PO put it through (like my XRR).

But, you're certainly much faster on the DRZ than you ever were on the XRL.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:33 AM   #1599
ditchbanker
Owner of dull user line

Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell
All good points, but that pig was used when you got to too... who knows what the PO put it through (like my XRR).
Yep, like your XRR. Who knows what you've put it through? Or your KLR or...

--Heath
ditchbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:08 AM   #1600
MotoRogue
pLAys wELL wiTH oTheRs

Oddometer: 119
drs available

I know this isn't the flea market thread , but with all the drz talk, I would be remiss in not letting you all know my 05drz400s is available. Has all the goodies and is ready to go adventuring............
pm me for details.........
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2008, 07:11 PM   #1601
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

I thought I'd take some time to post some some stragglers from this summer, so I don't get labeled as a "Heath" (takes pics, but never posts them).

This summer, as part of the Sawtooth Loop ride that Tom hosted, Heath and I took off early and hit Pinyon Peak on the way there.

Andy dumped is LC4, and trashed his shin

We went around Arrowrock, up Thorn Butte, and onto Sunset LO and Pilot LO.

Idaho City

My 'softer side of RWC' pic

Going up the Pilot Peak Rd was hard on Heath's rims.

In case you're one of the few riders who don't know how much I HATE the Kings tires... I do. They slide out in the most random of times, and in the most painful of ways. In this particular instance, I was riding through some minor ruts, when my back tire kicks out, and sent my up a hill at 30mph.

So insted of helping me get my trapped leg out from under the bike... Heath took a few pics.

The next day, Tom sent us up Joe's Gulch... which was a great call. Fantastic views from up there, and a good trail besides.

On the way home, we hit a couple more LO's. Can't remember if this one is Whitebird, or what...?

The only casualty of the ride was my saddlebag. I sent it in, and it was replaced under warranty.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:16 PM   #1602
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

More pics from this summer that never made it up:

I had a few guys over for a valve job on the KLR. Proved to be a PITA when the cam cap bolt broke the threads off.

So, I tried to clean the threads out a bit, and put a new bolt in.

The new bolt with blue wasn't 'biting' well... so that means next time, I'll have the pleasure of boring it out and a 7mm. Oh well... just more to work on this winter.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:41 PM   #1603
rockhopjohn
I LOVE Orogenies

Oddometer: 233
Hey RWC, do you have any pics from the ride this weekend, I was interested to see if any of those turned out.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:08 PM   #1604
FoolHardy
Still Inky

Oddometer: 542
Come on guys, quit holding out on us! Somebody must have some pics and/or a ride report from Saturday.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go" - T.S. Elliot
FoolHardy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:59 PM   #1605
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Ya, I'm sure I've got quite a few pics ~ none of which I've downloaded yet. I'll get them up tomorrow night.