ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 12:00 AM   #3931
av_mech
Risk Taker
 
av_mech's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Boise, ID
Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell
Glad you're getting some good miles in before you have to head back to CO.
Yes I am. Only two weekends of dirt left. This one and next. Then my dad is riding his Goldwing out from WIsconisn and we are doing a road trip the weekend of the 3rd. Getting some new tires on the superhawk next week! Then back to Colorado for six weeks. Hopefully the weather will hold out to get the desert challenge points when I get back in October. For not starting the challenge til well into July, I'm still shooting for making gold by the end of the year!!
__________________
2011 Triumph 800 XC
2007 Honda CRF 250X
1994 Kawasaki KLX 650R

THE ADVENTURES OF TYSON AND HOBBES
THE BACKCOUNTRY PURSUIT- Boise, Idaho's consignment specialist for ADV gear!
av_mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:13 PM   #3932
ditchbanker
Owner of dull user line
 
ditchbanker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Idaho-Beneath the smell of sugarbeats
Oddometer: 1,143
Might get to ride this year

Thanks to Whisky Sierra, I was able to get my cylinder back on today, and subsequently my head. Carb got most of the way on before I got called in by my wife for dinner and taking care of our son.

Still have a ways to go, but it's starting to look like a bike

P.S. if you happen to be in the Nampa area and have a torque wrench you can spare for an afternoon, let me know.
__________________
"I can't think of a single unmemorable camping trip we've had."

--Heath
ditchbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:26 PM   #3933
FoolHardy
Still Inky
 
FoolHardy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Boise...ish
Oddometer: 548
Got a small 1/4 in drive30-200 in/lb and a big 1/2 in drive 25-150 ft/lbs if you need them. I'm off work the next couple of days and I'll even deliver.
__________________
"It is not the mountain that we conquer, but ourselves" - Sir Edmund Hillary

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go" - T.S. Elliot
FoolHardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #3934
ditchbanker
Owner of dull user line
 
ditchbanker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Idaho-Beneath the smell of sugarbeats
Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkyfingers
Got a small 1/4 in drive30-200 in/lb and a big 1/2 in drive 25-150 ft/lbs if you need them. I'm off work the next couple of days and I'll even deliver.
PM sent
__________________
"I can't think of a single unmemorable camping trip we've had."

--Heath
ditchbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:06 PM   #3935
av_mech
Risk Taker
 
av_mech's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Boise, ID
Oddometer: 1,143
392 miles today and 767 on the weekend! Today left Challis, to the east fork of Pahsimeroi, to Mackay for gas, back north to Burma road/Corral Creek summit, around the Copper Basin loop, down Trail Creek to Sun Valley, over Dollarhide, over Wells Summt, past Fairfield to Gooding City of Rocks, North through Fir Grove, then a tour of the famlands South of hwy 20, to Immigrant road, to Mayfield, and home. 392 miles in 11.5 hours. And that was one helluva fun day/weekend!**
__________________
2011 Triumph 800 XC
2007 Honda CRF 250X
1994 Kawasaki KLX 650R

THE ADVENTURES OF TYSON AND HOBBES
THE BACKCOUNTRY PURSUIT- Boise, Idaho's consignment specialist for ADV gear!

av_mech screwed with this post 08-23-2010 at 12:47 AM
av_mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:15 AM   #3936
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!
 
ryanwilliamcantrell's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Nampa, Idaho
Oddometer: 3,862
That's a great ride.
__________________
Ride your own ride & enjoy your ride.


ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:33 PM   #3937
av_mech
Risk Taker
 
av_mech's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Boise, ID
Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell
That's a great ride.
I'm gonna second your nomination for the east fork of the Pahsimeroi to be the best challenge point. I haven't seen em all yet, but you really can't top that. The road in is a blast with all those Kelly humps out in the open to ramp off of. The stream crossings were fun and there were a few challenging climbs. And the sheer ruggedness of those mountains is unbeatable!!

Rich and I did the French creek single track off railroad ridge too. Got a little lost bajaing around on the high plain before we found the trail Tom pointed us to. But once we found the trail it was a blast! There is some new true 8" single track towards the bottom with some exposure. It was a challenge with that pig of a bike that I ride, but a great skills and confidence builder!
__________________
2011 Triumph 800 XC
2007 Honda CRF 250X
1994 Kawasaki KLX 650R

THE ADVENTURES OF TYSON AND HOBBES
THE BACKCOUNTRY PURSUIT- Boise, Idaho's consignment specialist for ADV gear!

av_mech screwed with this post 08-23-2010 at 04:35 PM
av_mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:34 PM   #3938
av_mech
Risk Taker
 
av_mech's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Boise, ID
Oddometer: 1,143
DAMMIT! I didn't have Castle Rocks marked on my map and I drove right by it!! Boooooooo
__________________
2011 Triumph 800 XC
2007 Honda CRF 250X
1994 Kawasaki KLX 650R

THE ADVENTURES OF TYSON AND HOBBES
THE BACKCOUNTRY PURSUIT- Boise, Idaho's consignment specialist for ADV gear!
av_mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #3939
av_mech
Risk Taker
 
av_mech's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Boise, ID
Oddometer: 1,143
I posted this as a ride over on IAMC

Hi all! I am going to head up North to get some challenge points this weekend. I'm not a big fan of riding by myself if I don't have to and I'd like for some people to come along. I am shooting for Heaven's Gate, Imnaha, Buckhorn Lookout, Florence Cemetery, Elk City, and the Magruder Corridor Fourteen mile campsite. There will be a lot of miles put on in two and a half days, so upwards of 10 or more hours in the saddle may be required. I ride pretty fast, but I stop very often to snap photos. I took 285 last weekend. I am planning on boondock camping, so pack it in pack it out. Also, I have never been to any of these places and I don't have a GPS. I've been doing pretty darn good with some tips and my benchmark. So it may be an adventure at times. Once again, I'm shooting for a bunch of miles, so come ready to cover some ground in a hurry. I have no idea what type of terrain this will take us to, so be prepared for some tough stuff. The route is totally debatable at this point and I'm open to suggestions. Let's have some fun!

Edit: I was thinking of camping near Seven Devil's on Friday night and getting Heaven's gate that night or first thing in the morning. Then head through Riggins to Florence via 221 and 643. Head north 394 to 221 and then 309 (Hungry Ridge) to Hwy 14 and Elk City. Is there fuel in Elk City? Run out and back on Magruder Corridor to get that point. Now here's where I really have a question. Where can you cross the Snake besides Lewiston and way South by the Brownlee dam? Would I have to go North from Elk City and meet up with Hwy 12 and just burn that all the way to Lewistion and then head South to Imnaha and Buckhorn Lookout? That's a fair amount of highway riding, but I've never been up there so it'd be cool anyways. Or would it be better to follow Magruder Corridor into Montana and come down some way by Salmon somewhere and save the two Oregon points for another ride? Any advise would great!
__________________
2011 Triumph 800 XC
2007 Honda CRF 250X
1994 Kawasaki KLX 650R

THE ADVENTURES OF TYSON AND HOBBES
THE BACKCOUNTRY PURSUIT- Boise, Idaho's consignment specialist for ADV gear!

av_mech screwed with this post 08-23-2010 at 09:33 PM
av_mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:33 PM   #3940
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!
 
ryanwilliamcantrell's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Nampa, Idaho
Oddometer: 3,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by av_mech
DAMMIT! I didn't have Castle Rocks marked on my map and I drove right by it!! Boooooooo
Oops.
__________________
Ride your own ride & enjoy your ride.


ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:41 PM   #3941
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!
 
ryanwilliamcantrell's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Nampa, Idaho
Oddometer: 3,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by av_mech
Hi all! I am going to head up North to get some challenge points this weekend. I'm not a big fan of riding by myself if I don't have to and I'd like for some people to come along. I am shooting for Heaven's Gate, Imnaha, Buckhorn Lookout, Florence Cemetery, Elk City, and the Magruder Corridor Fourteen mile campsite. There will be a lot of miles put on in two and a half days, so upwards of 10 or more hours in the saddle may be required. I ride pretty fast, but I stop very often to snap photos. I took 285 last weekend. I am planning on boondock camping, so pack it in pack it out. Also, I have never been to any of these places and I don't have a GPS. I've been doing pretty darn good with some tips and my benchmark. So it may be an adventure at times. Once again, I'm shooting for a bunch of miles, so come ready to cover some ground in a hurry. I have no idea what type of terrain this will take us to, so be prepared for some tough stuff. The route is totally debatable at this point and I'm open to suggestions. Let's have some fun!

Edit: I was thinking of camping near Seven Devil's on Friday night and getting Heaven's gate that night or first thing in the morning. Then head through Riggins to Florence via 221 and 643. Head north 394 to 221 and then 309 (Hungry Ridge) to Hwy 14 and Elk City. Is there fuel in Elk City? Run out and back on Magruder Corridor to get that point. Now here's where I really have a question. Where can you cross the Snake besides Lewiston and way South by the Brownlee dam? Would I have to go North from Elk City and meet up with Hwy 12 and just burn that all the way to Lewistion and then head South to Imnaha and Buckhorn Lookout? That's a fair amount of highway riding, but I've never been up there so it'd be cool anyways. Or would it be better to follow Magruder Corridor into Montana and come down some way by Salmon somewhere and save the two Oregon points for another ride? Any advise would great!
Ya, there's fuel in Elk City (generally, that is...)

Your best bet, IMHO is to cross at Lewiston, and drop south along the river ~ that's what we do each year on the Hell's Canyon Ride (do a search in this thread... there's 3 riding seasons worth of pics from that ride). If I remember correct, you cross the Grande Ronde at Heller Bar, and head south on Joseph Creek (which is an excellent ride) to Cold Springs. Take FS 46 to Buckhorn, the connect FS46 to the Zumwalt. Go east off the Zumwalt on Trail Creek Rd (also an excellent ride), which will dump you onto Little Sheep Creek Hwy just south of Imnaha. Take the 60 minutes to go east out of Imnaha up FS4220 to the Granny Viewpoint as long as your out there, and if you want to take the time, I highly recommend continuing to Hat Point Lookout as long as you're already out that way. You can look across the Snake River and see the Seven Devil's LO from Hat Point LO. Very cool.
__________________
Ride your own ride & enjoy your ride.


ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:29 AM   #3942
wander24
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Conifer Mountain, Colorado ~elevation 9850!~
Oddometer: 59
CO riders heading to Idaho for...

...The one thing Idaho has lots of that Colorado doesn't. Hot Springs!!

Hey folks, my wife and I are heading to Idaho after Labor Day for some riding, hiking, fishing, and soaking. We will be leaving the Beasts (f650's) at home in favor of our lighter machines (dr350 for me and a supersherpa for Rae, can you believe she actually wants to touch the ground EVERY time she stops! The sherpa improves that for her by a lot!)

Anyway, we were hoping that you locals could let us know how the past few fire seasons have impacted our fave fishing/ hot springs corriders. Like the South and middle fork of the Payette, Middle fork of the Boise, South fork of the Boise over Dollarhide to Ketchum, Ketchum - Stanley , Stanley- Challis (Salmon river).
Especially interested in the area around Deadwood Reservoir .

The plan is to trailer out in our 21' shorty RV, and find some off the beaten track campspots, and use the RV as a base camp for day rides, maybe an overnighter if we head to bull creek HS.

Any info on motorized trails into the backcountry? Here most of our riding is forest roads with the occasional atv trail, but motorized trails are few and far between. Sounds like there are a lot more options in Idaho....

Also curious about gun laws, bears, rednecks, jackholes,etc...

Any info is welcome!!

Thanks!
wander24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #3943
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!
 
ryanwilliamcantrell's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Nampa, Idaho
Oddometer: 3,862
Lots of fires right now. I could try to give you info ~ but it'd be outdated in a few days anyway... check the FS pages for the most up to date info. The Beaver Creek Fire burned a lot of the area NE of Deadwood. I'm not sure how close it got to Deadwood ~ it was trying to jump FS579 when we went through (Bear Valley). Fires closed down Hwy21 last weekend too.

Most of Idaho has open carry law ~ how well it's received by locals or others is another matter.

Lots of bears (black)and rednecks in that area ~ myself included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wander24
...The one thing Idaho has lots of that Colorado doesn't. Hot Springs!!

Hey folks, my wife and I are heading to Idaho after Labor Day for some riding, hiking, fishing, and soaking. We will be leaving the Beasts (f650's) at home in favor of our lighter machines (dr350 for me and a supersherpa for Rae, can you believe she actually wants to touch the ground EVERY time she stops! The sherpa improves that for her by a lot!)

Anyway, we were hoping that you locals could let us know how the past few fire seasons have impacted our fave fishing/ hot springs corriders. Like the South and middle fork of the Payette, Middle fork of the Boise, South fork of the Boise over Dollarhide to Ketchum, Ketchum - Stanley , Stanley- Challis (Salmon river).
Especially interested in the area around Deadwood Reservoir .

The plan is to trailer out in our 21' shorty RV, and find some off the beaten track campspots, and use the RV as a base camp for day rides, maybe an overnighter if we head to bull creek HS.

Any info on motorized trails into the backcountry? Here most of our riding is forest roads with the occasional atv trail, but motorized trails are few and far between. Sounds like there are a lot more options in Idaho....

Also curious about gun laws, bears, rednecks, jackholes,etc...

Any info is welcome!!

Thanks!
__________________
Ride your own ride & enjoy your ride.


ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #3944
av_mech
Risk Taker
 
av_mech's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Boise, ID
Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell
Ya, there's fuel in Elk City (generally, that is...)

Your best bet, IMHO is to cross at Lewiston, and drop south along the river ~ that's what we do each year on the Hell's Canyon Ride (do a search in this thread... there's 3 riding seasons worth of pics from that ride). If I remember correct, you cross the Grande Ronde at Heller Bar, and head south on Joseph Creek (which is an excellent ride) to Cold Springs. Take FS 46 to Buckhorn, the connect FS46 to the Zumwalt. Go east off the Zumwalt on Trail Creek Rd (also an excellent ride), which will dump you onto Little Sheep Creek Hwy just south of Imnaha. Take the 60 minutes to go east out of Imnaha up FS4220 to the Granny Viewpoint as long as your out there, and if you want to take the time, I highly recommend continuing to Hat Point Lookout as long as you're already out that way. You can look across the Snake River and see the Seven Devil's LO from Hat Point LO. Very cool.

Thanks Ryan. What's the next fuel available after lewistion? Too bad I was in Colorado for that ride. I might have a hard time finding someone to go with me.
__________________
2011 Triumph 800 XC
2007 Honda CRF 250X
1994 Kawasaki KLX 650R

THE ADVENTURES OF TYSON AND HOBBES
THE BACKCOUNTRY PURSUIT- Boise, Idaho's consignment specialist for ADV gear!
av_mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:51 PM   #3945
wander24
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Conifer Mountain, Colorado ~elevation 9850!~
Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell

Most of Idaho has open carry law ~ how well it's received by locals or others is another matter.

Lots of bears (black)and rednecks in that area ~ myself included.
Not worried about black bears, its the brown ones that worry us. We don't want to carry "in public" but more on the hiking trails, as bear/jackhole repellent. We have had a few incidents here in CO recently that make us want to carry protection in the forests. And Hey, we got us a jon boat, a RV, some dirt bikes and a atv, the only thing keeping our redneck quotient down is that I fly fish now rather than use dynamite like we used to down south.

Seriously though, I heard that some of the locals in Atlanta were uptight about non-locals up there. Last time we were there was 7 years ago, and everyone was friendly. Looking forward to a fun visit....Thanks for the heads up on the fires...
wander24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014