ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2011, 05:02 PM   #5281
Special Ed_65
A.K.A. Special Ed

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383 View Post
Well I am sure glad I cancelled the ride since it's 60 and sunny. It better get cold and rainy soon or I might go anyway.
I can do a Monday night overnighter

http://www.motoidaho.com/
Special Ed_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:33 PM   #5282
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger65 View Post
I can do a Monday night overnighter
Unfortunately I can't do Monday night.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:26 PM   #5283
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,023
Was that Kyle I saw on 12th in Nampa this morning about 10:00?
Blue DR with a yellow DRZ400SM behind.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:57 AM   #5284
boxertwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
[QUOTE=chinkymo;16035336]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell View Post
Lane picked up a 610 yesterday, so we headed up 8th street to break it in and get it dirty.

Did he get that from a guy named Jay? Dude got cold feet for riding after the accident on Overland a few weeks ago and said he was selling it.

Dare I ask about the accident on Overland? I had not heard about that.
boxertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:25 AM   #5285
badmemory
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
[QUOTE=boxertwin;16047066]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkymo View Post

Dare I ask about the accident on Overland? I had not heard about that.
Here you go boxer, this happened very near my house:
http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/0...orcyclist.html

It's sort of an offset intersection, i.e. Canonero and Lizaso don't directly face each other onto Overland. From what I can tell both the bike and the van were turning left (the bike from Lizaso and the van from Canonero) and one or both weren't looking ahead as they entered the turn lane.
badmemory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:28 AM   #5286
boxertwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
Thanks for sharing. Sad news.
boxertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:25 AM   #5287
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer: 3,859
Heath and I rode through Daggett Creek yesterday ~ it was wild. The creek blew-out this year, and started a new creek ~ it wasn't nearly as kind to us as the previous creek was. Between the water flow, and the new path, the sweat was pouring off us both trying to get through it.

We often tried to ride was was left of the trail, only to have our bike wash out and land in the creek anyway... as was the case here. Heath tried to run the same like I couldn't make, and was greeted with a wet face-plant into Daggett Creek. I was laughing too hard to be of any use to him getting his bike back up, but managed to pull the camera out, after he'd gotten the bike upright.

Backing up a bit, to the Y where 8th T's into BRR,m it was a beautiful a day out.

We went up BRR to the Daggett turn off, and immediately hit snow. We plowed through it, and was soon out of it as we lost elevation.

It was very green an beautiful down in there.

It didn't take long for the 'trail' to be swallowed by the rushing creek. Usually, it's a very clear creek, so you can pick your path through the wet rocks. Not today. Today it was dark brown from all the run off, and you had no idea what lurked beneath the water. You just had to hit the gas and hang on ~ as a result, we had multiple tip-overs from hitting large, unseen rocks and bouncing our front tire off of them.

As you can see, this 'new' trail where the creek plowed a new path, is very unforgiving. Large rocks are eagerly waiting to knock a hole in your case. As a result, I had to got slow enough to ensure my dad's cases made it through in one piece (I was on my dad's XT225).

This is where he stopped for our 1st breather. I was near the puke-stage at this point.

Ironically, there was a cross stuck in the ground. All I could think of, was some poor fool took a KLR down in there, and his friend put him out of his misery, buried him, and burned the bike.

This was one of the rare times where we could pull out of the creek to the bank to get a break... then you dropped right back into the creek again.

After catching our breath, we took off again.

We got out of the creek, only to start the hill climbing. I don't have a picture of the most nasty one, because I was too tired to even breath properly, let alone, pull out the camera. However, Heath had a video cam on his head, and I'm sure he's going to have some hysterical footage of my pulling a Superman up that hill (laying on the tank, hanging off the back... hanging onto the handlebars for dear life).

Heath bounced his front tire up this... nearly pulling it back on himself twice. He was running 15/45 up this crap, making his clutch work for it's life.

Once we got up top, it mellowed out quite a bit, as we dropped down Lower Daggett onto Clear Creek.

The views were beautiful from the ridge.

One last obstacle to overcome... then we were home free.

The ride gets a A+... but you'd better be in shape for it, with a great rear tire. We were neither, so we were huffing and puffing our way through it.

ryanwilliamcantrell screwed with this post 05-31-2011 at 09:31 AM
ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:37 AM   #5288
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,108
Quote:
The ride gets a A+... but you'd better be in shape for it, with a great rear tire. We were neither, so we were huffing and puffing our way through it.
Dang Ryan, I imagine, someone like me or Phil would have been in need of an AED then

Looks like you two had a great time pushing, pulling, cursing, sweating, etc, etc can't wait for the video.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:51 PM   #5289
JUNBUG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75

The cross was not for our klr's
JUNBUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:09 PM   #5290
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer: 3,859
That must be a pic from last year, I assume?

It's considerably more difficult this year, than the last time I was down there with my KLR.

Maybe it'll mellow out a bit once the water slows down, and it gets some traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUNBUG View Post

The cross was not for our klr's

ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:06 PM   #5291
JUNBUG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Yep, last year. If it was much more difficult than it was last year I would still be down there.
JUNBUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:50 AM   #5292
ditchbanker
Owner of dull user line

Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383 View Post
Was that Kyle I saw on 12th in Nampa this morning about 10:00?
Blue DR with a yellow DRZ400SM behind.
Nope, I was at home with the Kiddo, and a lower back reminding me that 8 yards of perma bark is a hell of a day.

--Heath
ditchbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:58 PM   #5293
Rook85
Nooberific

Oddometer: 27
I just ran the 8th street, BRR, shaw mountain road loop on Tuesday and is in pretty decent condition. 8th street is rutted and torn up from the thaw but was firm enough for my fat DR with deathwings to handle fine.
Rook85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:48 PM   #5294
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,108
Well, I went up to my place in Cascade for a few days, hoping for cooperative weather, yea right..

Shot from a few weeks ago rode up on the 990 then, rained the whole time

Yup, Mi Sierra Casa; no internet, couple of PBS stations.

So fast forward I spent most of this week up there on the DRZ, felt more like early October than first part of June. cold, windy and rainy. anyway rode around looking for a way over towards Council No matter which way I went at around 5000 feet snow, a lot of snow.

anyway here's a few shots I took riding around up there. Going to be a a while before the passes start opening up; guess I'll have to change my Hells Canyon routing this year!

I remember I almost bought this place back in 95, shortly after retiring from the military.. I came very close to it but the wife talked me out of it.

Oh well just a few shots cause my camera died and I left the charger cable at home.

I know nothing as exciting as one of Ryan's day adventures but that's all I have.

See you out there

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #5295
riverdoctor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
custom seat?

Anybody heard of a guy out in / near Eagle that customizes seats? I've heard there is such a dude but don't know a name or have a contact. I have a real butt-buster seat that I'd like to get re-shaped.
riverdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote