ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2011, 11:20 PM   #5326
Rook85
Nooberific

Oddometer: 27
Interesting news looks like KTM MotoSports on Overland lost their KTM dealership status to Carls.

http://ktm-motosports.com/index.htm

Don't know what to think of that. (I'm too new and too poor to be an orange convert yet) I wish them good luck I've heard good things about their service
Rook85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #5327
brother dan
Lost in my mind

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook85 View Post
Interesting news looks like KTM MotoSports on Overland lost their KTM dealership status to Carls.

http://ktm-motosports.com/index.htm

Don't know what to think of that. (I'm too new and too poor to be an orange convert yet) I wish them good luck I've heard good things about their service
I never spoke with the guys on Overland, but I have dealt with Carl's a few times. Their parts department is ok, but their sales department I don't care for.
brother dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:33 PM   #5328
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer: 3,862
Hells Canyon 2011 ~ Day 1

Tragically, I have summer school for most of the 2011 summer. As a result, Phil agreed to run the Hells Canyon ride 2 weeks early with me, so I could still squeeze it in before summer school starts. In talking with Mark (Wurty), he was interested in going with us too, because the Cherry Festival was the week of the 'actual' Hells Canyon get together. So, I sat down and plotted a route out, which I'd hoped to be generally snow-free for the early season route in a late snow pack year.

Phil and I hit pavement to Emmett, to pick up Wurty. We found him, smoking his cigar next to the gas pumps. That's why we love you, Mark.

We filled our tanks, and headed north out of Emmett on Van Dussen, connecting to Big Flat, to Four Mile Rd to Indian Valley Rd which dumped us out on the highway (hwy 95) to Council.

The weather was perfect, and the road gave great traction (unlike a couple of hears ago, when it was muddy and raining).

I'd spent all week working on my bike. Setting the valves, replacing a petcock, swapping the shock and forks, greasing the wheel bearings, new rear tire... It was running like a champ, and I was pleased as punch with the new valve stacking in the suspension.

Phil came over the rise and I was standing in the middle of the road to get a pic ~ for a flash, I thought he didn't see me and I gave some serious consideration to bailing off the side of the hill. Alas, he was being a smart ass, and came to a skidding stop right in front of me, with a big grin on his mug.

We gassed up in Council and headed out Hornet Creek Rd (FS002) into the Bear area.

FS002 T's into the Kleinshmidt Grade (FS072), which was rich in color from the late summer start their in Hells Canyon.

I'm sure this was quite an impressive structure in it's day.

As much as I love the Kleinshmidt, the Hess Rd is always more enjoyable. (From the Hess, you can see the Kleinshmidt on the other side of the canyon) We hussled down hwy86 to get some fuel before heading back up the Oregon Side of the Snake River before heading up the Hess Rd.

The view from the Hess (FS530) is always a favorite.

About 500 yards from hwy 39, we started seeing snow (5300' elevation).

Phil had a new TrakMaster on the back of his Z, so it powered through the snow like a tractor.

I tried Phil's slow-and-steady approach to the snow, which got me axle deep because I was running a TKC80.

Evetually, about 3 drifts later, we hit what turned out to be the final drift, but was was 30-40 yards long, and knee deep. Phil's slow-and-steady approach didn't work, so we moved to the gun-it-and-hang-on-for-dear-life approach.

The eyes-closed-with-more-cowbell approach proved successful, and we all got through the drift with a little sweat.

We were relieved to see hwy 39, but soon dismayed to see snow on the road, as far as the eye could see. Are you kidding me?!?! I was BITTER.

I attempted to see if I could 'float' on the snow with my light 650... but it was too wet, and I sunk right in. I paid the price for my attempt, and huffed and puffed as I push the BRP back up the hill to the pavement, while Phil checked to see if the southern route down Hwy39 was open.

Phil got back as I was near black-out from pushing the bike back up the hill through the snow, and said that it was open going south toward Halfway.

It was early, but it was clear that we were going to have to run the 180 mile pavement loop through Halfway, Union, Enterprise, etc to get up to the Zumwalt since we weren't getting down hwy39.

So, we decided to call it a day early, while we had a great view of Windy Ridge the Cuddy Mountains.

We, of course, had a great time building a fire, and BS'ing for hours around the fire as we cooked and ate dinner.

Other than the snow-closure on hwy 39, it was a near perfect day of riding. We sat around, looking at the map, trying to come up with another route to get to the Zumwalt without going all the way around the Wallowa Mountain Range, but it was a useless exercise... there was no 'short cut'. So... we just set a route up hwy 86, 203 , 82 to run some pavement. Out of La Grande, I knew a mostly-dirt route to break of the pavement, from having dragged pour Jason and his 1200 through our let's-get-lost adventure (from last year) through unknown (to us) FS roads along the outskirts of the Wallowa's.

More later. I've got to head outside to do my honey-do's.

RWC

ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #5329
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Hells Canyone 2011 Day 2

We woke up at a leisurely hour, and headed down hwy 39 after our breakfast and coffee. Phil and I were enjoying the twisty 39, when he had an oh-crap moment when he was adjusting his mirror and the corner snuck up on him. As I saw him lock up his rear tire, I was already envisioning having to ride into town to buy straps and a come-along to pull his bike out of the ravine. Luckily, the TrackMaster grips the pavement pretty well, and he leaned that little Z nearly to the peg to make the corner.

This appeared to be one of the sections that blew out last spring with the ripping snow melt.

Despite being 100 miles of pavement, it was quite enjoyable due to the scenery.

Out of La Grande, we cut off the pavement, and headed to the base of the hills to traverse the mountains in an effort to stay off the highway. (Alicel Ln to Grays Corner Rd to Rineheart Ln to Hindman Rd)

We gassed-up in Enterprise and headed to Joseph to get Wurty a chair, since Phil and I were tired of seeing the poor old fart sprawled out on the ground, trying to lay next to the camp fire.

Wurty snagged a chair in Joseph, and we headed up the always-excellent Zumwalt Rd.

We wanted to get some views from the Hat Point Road, so dropped off the Zumwalt to the always-entertaining Camp Creek Road.

There was a lot of water through the water crossings and puddles, but the road itself was in great shape and dry.

Because Imnaha is 2000 ft elevation, I generally find it to be intolerably hot (compared to being up at 4000 ft on the Zumwalt)... so we didn't stop on our way up Hat Point Rd. We'd hoped to reach the Horse Creek Viewpoint, which we did.

Not seeing any snow at the Horse Creek Viewpoint made me hopeful what we might make it up to the Granny Viewpoint, so we kept going.

However, we hit snow just short of it, at 5600 ft.

I'm actually grateful that we got stopped here, because I nearly pulled a "Phil" and set my brakes on fire (as he did) by getting a rock jammed into the rear brake pedal. Upon stopping, I noticed my bike wasn't rolling very well. I grabbed the rear disk to see if the brake was dragging, and screamed like a 12 year old girl and smelled my burned flesh moments later. Mark and I piled snow onto the caliper only to have if flash-boil the snow and steam poured off my bike. Luckily, the brake fluid and pads appeared to be fine, and I have a metal rotor protector, as oppose to the plastic one that Phil lit on fire with his bike (due to the same incident of a rock stuck in his brake petal).

We headed back down the Hat Point Rd, back through Imnaha, and back up Camp Creek Rd to the Zumwalt, to continue to the Buckhorn Lookout.

As we rode along the beautiful Zumwalt, we rode next to a large herd of elk.

Buckhorn, at 5333' elevation, was snow free and gorgeous. From it, you can see about 5 different creek valleys, all the way over to the 7 devils in Idaho (see the snow-lined mountains in the far).

We were very disappointed to see that the Buckhorn campground was closed, as that was our intended destination for the evening.

We'd seen some hospitable areas on our way in, so we back-tracked a few miles and hung a right on Devil's Run Rd (FS 4690) and stayed the night on Devil's Run Creek.

We threw up camp, filtered our water, and Phil made a stellar fire ring.

The sun set was great, and the night sky was even better.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:14 PM   #5330
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Hells Canyon 2011 Day 3

We woke up Sunday morning, and headed back to the Zumwalt, to head down Cold Springs Rd which turns into Horse Creek Rd the Joseph Creek as it dumps into WA.

The ride along Cold Springs Rd is absolutely gorgeous 1st thing in the morning.

We rode along the Grande Ronde River for a bit, before turning north to Asotin and over the river to Lewiston.

I assume this was a dredge of some sort ~ it was impressive to see it in the very fast moving body of water.

We snagged some Burger King and fuel in Lewiston, before gaining elevation again as we headed up Waha Rd up to Lake Waha.

We ran the Soldiers Meadow Rd the back way into Cottonwood, which was filled with colors.

We fueled up again in Cottonwood, then stopped outside of town a bit, for some water a snacks before heading south on Grave Creek Rd.

As we headed up Center Creek Rd, we followed a beautiful spring creek as we climbed in elevation.

We continued to climb up the Canfield Rd until we crested to see the fantastic Salmon River valley.

Our original plan was to stay the night at the Hammer Creek Rec Sight, but it was so bleedin' hot when we got there (1500' elevation), that we changed our plans and headed back up to 5000' to camp for the night.

We headed up an unknown (to me, at the time) route, up Deer Creek Rd (FS493) to FS672.

We spent 1/2 hour trying to find a nice camp spot, which paid-off ten fold. We trekked up some old, nearly-abandoned two-track trail and stumbled across an overlook that knocked our socks off.

We shut off our engines, and Wurty heard water not far off, so we hopped on the bikes and went to fill our water supply for the evening, before making camp.

After getting a couple gallons of water, we headed back to set up camp for the night.

We set up the Heath Hiatt tarp-mahal.

The view we had of the Gospel Hump was one I could stare at all evening.

Somewhere, Wurty has some pics of Phil and I gathering firewood, Idaho style (dragging random logs with our bikes).

Made for a nice evening of joking around the fireplace, before hitting the sack for the night.

The night brought a light and stead rain ~ just enough to keep down the dust the following day, and make getting over the fallen trees (which we'd encountered on the way up the 2 track) a challenging task. The tarp-mahal shed 100% of the rain, an kept us dry. I was already a convert to the tarp, but sleeping through the rain likely made Phil a convert as well.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #5331
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Hells Canyon 2011 Day 4

We woke up early (thanks to Wurty, banging around at 5:50am) to a fantastic sunrise that not even Phil's ugly mug could take away from.

After a cup of Joe and some breakfast, we headed down FS672 with the intention of continuing south. However, when we came to a fork in the road that read "Pittsburg Landing, 16 Miles), we couldn't resist. None of us had been before, and it was a splendid morning with no dust on the trail.

Turned out to be a very nice detour.

Looking down into the Snake River Valley.

We reached the landing without incident, and spent some time eating snacks, and reading the history of the area.

All 3 bikes had performed nearly flawlessly for the 600 miles we'd covered to far.

After Pittsburg Landing, we headed south on FS420, which was a very fun, pretty, Jeep trail.

FS420 dumped into Cow Creek Rd, which then took us back into the Salmon River Valley and onto hwy 95 south to New Meadows.

We enjoyed a Subway lunch at New Meadows, while we checked the weather. The weather man was predicting an AWFUL storm in the area, in about 90 minutes (60mph wind, 2" of rain, hail, etc), so we decided to bag the rest of the dirt route, and take hwy 55 home. Turned out to be a wise choice, as the clouds opened up and flooded the streets of McCall 1.5 hours after we went through.

We made a couple of random stops on the way home, and made it back without getting wet.

An excellent trip, with 2 great friends.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:27 AM   #5332
liv2rydktms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,253
Yeehaw!

School sure sucks the life out of you doesn't it! Hope your studies are going well.

Thanks for sharing your RR. Looks like another RWC & Co. adventure.
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

liv2rydktms screwed with this post 06-13-2011 at 03:22 PM
liv2rydktms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:57 AM   #5333
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude

Oddometer: 847
Nice report Ryan! That's some very cool country.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:30 AM   #5334
dirtywurty
Emmett ,Id

Oddometer: 182
I wanna go back
dirtywurty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:36 AM   #5335
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,463
Not knowing the area, I pulled out my Oregon Benchmark Atlas and followed along on the relief maps as I read your RR. Very cool. Great pics!

I'm going to the Hells Canyon Rally this week, and now I'll know the names of a few roads--Zumwalt, Cold Springs, Imnaha, Kleinschmidt. Interesting that 39 was snow-choked at 5500' while Cold Springs was clear at the same elevation. Anyways, it gives me a good idea of where to expect to find the snowline on rally rides.

Thanks for the report!
Old 06-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #5336
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,111
Alright Ryan way to go. I am so glad you got to go out and have a wee-bit of fun, before the academic onslaught. I see you stole Wurty away from me on the great little expedition... he needed to get out and play.

I am heading out Wednesday morning up to the rally in a round about way. I'll post up later. I just got back last night from eastern Idaho spend a couple hours BSing with this guy; he came over and started chatting with me as I was working on my bike after a fun muddy ride on the old RR grade. He's pretty cool gave me some tips on riding and how to enhance my D908

His Names Jonah

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #5337
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,481
He mentioned modifying the 908 during his talk in Seattle last week. He had pictures but I could not see the mod.

Nice guy!
MasterMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:17 PM   #5338
chinkymo
Beast Rider

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
Alright Ryan way to go. I am so glad you got to go out and have a wee-bit of fun, before the academic onslaught. I see you stole Wurty away from me on the great little expedition... he needed to get out and play.

I am heading out Wednesday morning up to the rally in a round about way. I'll post up later. I just got back last night from eastern Idaho spend a couple hours BSing with this guy; he came over and started chatting with me as I was working on my bike after a fun muddy ride on the old RR grade. He's pretty cool gave me some tips on riding and how to enhance my D908

His Names Jonah
Dang it! Where's the jealous (extremely) smiley?
Jonah's my effin hero!
chinkymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:11 PM   #5339
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,690
Ryan and Co. had a great looking ride. Thanks for the report Ryan Meanwhile Sam is out getting riding tips from Jonah. Uh oh, we're in trouble now.

We're going to miss the Boise crew that can't make it to Hells Canyon this year. I guess the ones that do come will have to make up for the rest of you.

Hopefully things work out next year so you all can make it.
"Be real careful which and who's dream you get caught up in!!!" ~ Jettn Jim
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #5340
boxertwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,030
Nice report, Ryan. Thanks.