ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2011, 07:20 AM   #5341
dirtywurty
Emmett ,Id

Oddometer: 182
This is how Ryan gets firewood
dirtywurty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:30 PM   #5342
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer: 659
Thumb

Looks like a super trip, Ryan, Phil, Wurty! I'm sitting in Moscow right now, having covered some of that same country bringing my daughter up to college orientation the "scenic" way this last weekend. We ran into plenty of snow, same as you. Made it through some and gave up a couple times. A pain but damn, the ridges, valleys, meadows are just gorgeous with water and wildflowers.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:15 PM   #5343
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,120
I have a ride to the KLIM RALLY Started over here

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post16165747

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:19 AM   #5344
Crusier Dude
pavement inspecter

Oddometer: 304
Great pictures and report Ryan.

Wow, Ryan you guys had some GREAT riding and FUN for sure. I picked up a 2004 DRZ400 a couple of weeks ago. It has 1700 miles on it and it was as near STOCK as one can get. MINT condition for 2600.00

I hope to get out this year more as the past two years have been VERY PAINFUL (no detail here).

Thanks again for sharing your ride.

Les
Crusier Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:12 AM   #5345
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Boise Lodging?

Looking for a relatively inexpensive place to stay for about a month beginning next week. Someone suggested posting in this thread to get more replies. Camping is OK. Will need commutable distance to Boise and showers. All suggestions are appreciated.

Wally
WallyWhirled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #5346
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

RR: Some Danskin with the boy

I am just not feeling it yet. Oh sure, there’s the wind, the blue sky, the rumble of the boxer engine below, but heading down the road to the mountains with Hunter on board, I might as well be sitting in the office chair at work for how excited I am.

Our plan to go on a longer ride before Hunter travels to his dad’s for the summer has been repeatedly postponed by rain, graduation events and birthday parties. Such is life with the four kids. Today is our last chance. Hunter’s plane departs at 6:10.

We cut a few miles through town and join the old path of the Oregon Trail behind the Micron Technology campus here in Boise. The primitive path is usually rough but an exceptionally wet spring has added ruts and puddles.

“Ready for the dirt, Hunter?” I ask with pep-talk enthusiasm, as much for myself as him. I expect the demands and delights of the trail will rouse the senses.

“Yeah,” he deadpans. We seem to be in the same mood.

We are making a spirited ascent of a rocky hill, weaving around obstacles, when I notice a couple with a chocolate lab and wide rimmed hats standing at the edge of the trail ahead. The lady is giving us the eye. I slow down, offer a friendly nod and wave as we pass. They wave back—friends made, lost and reconciled in thirty seconds.

“Stand there a sec’,” I ask as Hunter gets off the motorcycle in the the large gravel lot at Bonneville Point. He scowls and sulks as I square up for a photo. I take the shot then put my hand on his armored shoulder.

“You doing okay, Hunter?”

“Yeah,” he answers without looking up.

“This is your ride, buddy. Tell me if you want to do some other kinds of stuff.”

Bonneville Point

He says “okay” but nothing more. He begs to ride so I’m surprised he’s sullen. Maybe it’s about leaving. Transitioning between homes hasn’t bothered him much before—he kind of lives in the moment—but that could be changing as he gets older. He’s excited to see his dad but the friends, family and other things here are a growing part of his life that will be left behind.

I remember as a kid when grown-ups asked how I felt, was “everything okay,” it usually just irritated me. I wasn’t self-aware. I didn’t know and I wasn’t interested in thinking about it. I imagine that might be Hunter’s perspective. Rather than press him to explain his mood I think we’ll just do our best to enjoy the day.

“Remember that tree with the huge thorns?” I ask as I begin walking down the concrete path toward the gazebo. “I think it’s right over here somewhere.”

“Here it is!” he announces.

I know he enjoys facts so I tell him, “This is a locust tree. The thorns are so strong that people have used them for nails.” Hunter makes a lengthy examination of the thorns while I look around at the lupine and other flowers growing here.

Looking out over Boise

“You ready to go?” I ask. “We’re gonna be on some cool trails pretty soon. I think you’ll like it.”

“Sure.”

I have plotted a route that will take us from the Willow Creek Trailhead back to the Bender Creek Trailhead in the Danskin OHV area. We wind around imposing outcrops as we follow the gravel road along Wood Creek to our first trailhead. I breathe in the smell of coniferous trees that grow along the burbling ribbon of water here in the shade of the canyon. It’s invigorating.

We pass by the trailhead for a quick look from the bench above the South Fork of the Boise River, just ahead. As the view opens before us, two military helicopters fly nap-of-the-earth from across the water then over us.

“Cool!” Hunter yells. “Those are army helicopters. You know how I can tell?” he asks. “By the color.” He answers himself before I can offer my guess. I enjoy how excited he is.

North Fork of the Boise River

We stop for a few pictures of the blue river curving through the green canyon toward white-capped mountains then return to hike a small area matted yellow with wildflowers. Colors are brilliant today.

We park off the side of the road and begin to walk through a profusion of arrowleaf balsamroot. A lady appears ahead walking toward us over a small rise, her shape and gait that of someone more accustomed to the couch. Two large cameras hang from straps around her neck, one behind, one in front.

“Two more back there,” she says, short of breath. “Just wanted to let you know.”

“Okay, thanks,” I answer. I’m unsure of her thinking so add, “we’ll just be walking, though—not gonna ride.” We crest the rise ourselves and there meet who I take to be her husband and son.

“You going to see the eagles?” the husband asks. I pause long enough for him to realize I don’t know what he’s talking about. “Well, just go all the way out to the point and look down,” he explains. “There’s a nest.”

“In a U-shaped tree,” the son adds excitedly.

“Right,” the man confirms even before his son finishes, “U-shaped, just below the cliff.” The bright blue BSU football T-shirt stretched tightly across his expanding gut is emblematic of his enthusiasm.

“Thanks, really appreciate it,” I tell them as we turn and continue walking. We check along the cliff edge and finally at the rocky point, just as described for us, we spot the nest well below. We see movement but can’t make out any details from this distance.

“Can we walk out there?” Hunter implores, pointing to a rocky spire some fifty yards farther out.

“I don’t think so, Hunter. That would take a while.” What he calls a “hike” would really be a lot of climbing and scrambling, down then back up.

“Please,” he begs. “I’m really fast on rocks.”

I check my watch again. “I’d love to Hunter but we need to be home for your flight. Sorry about that. We’ll climb out there next time we’re here.”

I am just glad he’s finding some excitement. We walk in silence a few minute back toward the motorcycle when he suddenly announces, “I’m gonna tell my teacher about what I saw!”

Has he seen something I missed? “The eagles and ‘army’ helicopters?” I ask.

“Yeah.”

Before I can remind him that he’s out of school he explains, “I’m gonna visit Mrs. Schweitzer,” his fourth grade teacher. I wonder how he plans to do that but think I’ll just let him enjoy the idea.

On the motorcycle again, we descend from the bench back to Willow Creek and turn into the head of Danskin Trail 400. The way is wide and well marked. This looks easy.

Then we come to the creek. The water in the middle is a darker green, suggesting some depth. I can’t tell how deep, though. It makes me nervous. I climb a bit up the hill on this side to see farther up the trail, judge whether it’s worth it. It looks nice enough.

There is some risk of mishap but the creek isn’t that wide and I think it will do Hunter and I good to contend with something outside ourselves today.

“Hey Hunter, grab your helmet and walk up there,” I point upstream. “You’ll be able to cross over on some rocks.” I don’t want him on board if I can’t make it.

He grabs his helmet and takes off. I grab a handful of throttle and hope for the best. The bike sputters as it plunges and tries to climb the opposite bank. Even hard on the throttle it barely makes it. It leaves me uneasy.

I park, walk to the creek, straddle some boulders and extend my hand to help Hunter jump across. I’m glad to have that behind us. Now we can have a pleasant ride through the trees up to the ridge.

Or not. We aren’t far down the trail before we see it doesn’t climb the ridge. At least not here. Instead it dumps us back at the creek for an even larger water crossing. I stare a moment at the water. I hear Hunter say something about how we can cross it but I don’t really listen. This is too much.

I help Hunter back across the rocks and walk with him down to the first water crossing. One way or another, I expect this to be interesting. “I’d like you to take some pictures, Hunter.” The lens is manual so I pre-focus, set it to f/11 and hand the camera to him. “Just point that way and push this button a bunch.”

“Okay.” He’s excited for the job. I’m not. “I bet I could cross it on a dirt bike,” he tells me as I begin to walk away.

I turn back and smile. “Yeah, you’re probably right.” It’s good to be optimistic.

I hustle back up to the bike, get on and get pointed in a good direction near the water’s edge. Part of me wants to out-think this but there’s really nothing to think about. Just go!

I realize I’m sunk when the bike starts to sputter while still in deep water well away from the other edge. It loses power then dies. Darn. I step off into water above my knees and feel the cold rush into my boots.

“Jason, you’re blinker is on!” Hunter yells. When I don’t answer he yells again more urgently. I’m short on humor at the moment and want to yell back, “forget the stupid blinker.”

“Thanks Hunter,” I manage to answer. “Just keep taking pictures, okay?”

Earlier we saw a rough looking couple pull up in what looked like an old Datsun and begin setting up camp below. I think about having Hunter run down to ask for help but decide to see what I can do first.

I dig the edges of my boots into the underwater sand and push. The bike moves along easier than I expected! Maybe it’s half floating. I’m able to get most of the engine up out of the water before I need to rest.

I need to continue but it’s steeper and the sand is just sliding underfoot now. Before going for help I give a what-the-hell push on the starter button. It’s rough but it starts! I rev, pop the clutch and push. Sand and water churn between my legs as the bike slowly climbs out.

While Hunter is running around with the camera chasing butterflies, I pour the water out of my boots and begin removing panels. In twenty or thirty minutes, with a dried airbox and filter, the bike is running normally again.

We still have a little time to ride trails. There are several trucks at the Bender Creek trailhead down the road, what was to be our exit. At least one little barbecue is underway in the parking lot. Other people are sitting on their tailgates. As we cross a small bridge and begin climbing the trail I feel like we have an audience.

After a little time on the trail, I ask, “you having fun with this?”

“Yeah,” he answers sincerely. After a pause he continues, “it’s kind of scary when you go fast up hills.”

“Sometimes we have to go a little bit fast just to be sure we make it,” I explain. I think about explaining how on these very trails his mom ended up with a broken elbow and facial lacerations after I took a sharply canted switchback too slow. That might alarm him, though, so I leave it at that.

After snaking around ridges and running a stretch through a riparian ravine, we stop for a break on a hill that provides views all around. Hunter focuses on finding pretty rocks while I go for a drink from the flexible canteen. Something squirts me. What? I hold up the canteen and see the clean, round puncture.

That shouldn’t happen. There’s nothing sharp back here. Then I see in the motorcycle bag the cluster of several-inch-long locust thorns Hunter must have tossed in for a souvenir. Beneath that, an inch of water on the air pump and electrical adapters I carry. Darn.

I hold up the thorns. “Hunter, you can’t put things like this into the bag.” I take care to keep a casual tone so I don’t detract from his day. “You need to ask before you put anything in here.”

“Okay,” he acknowledges sheepishly.

“I need you to hold this upside-down so it doesn’t leak while I dry things off.” I hand him the canteen. “Then we’ll have to take our last drinks and dump it out.”

“Okay.”

Rags, cables and gadgets are spread out on the motorcycle to dry while Hunter and I have some trail mix and a look around. He collects a few rocks that I tuck safely into a back pocket of the bag.

South across the Snake River Plain to the Owyhees

Things are still damp but our schedule encourages us onward.

I remember disliking this route but forgot how much. Danskin Trail 500 is a lot of sand and waterbars, a slow beating as we make our way back to the road. I am glad for the beautiful views and pleasant weather.

To make sure we’re home in time, I ramp onto the freeway for the few miles back to Boise. The part of the ride I like least seems to be one of Hunter’s favorites. He’s surfing his hands through the wind and pumping his fist at every big rig hoping they’ll honk. That’s the Hunter we know and love.

It has been a good ride. The little trail challenges were a good experience, memories to enjoy, and just what we needed to spin free of the languid place we were mired in when the day began. Good bye for the summer, little man.

these images are hosted at flickr
this post was automatically generated from my blog
text and images are © Copyright 2011 Jason Abbott. All Rights Reserved. ■

Jason Abbott screwed with this post 07-28-2011 at 11:01 AM
Jason Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #5347
Seamus
Muck Savage

Oddometer: 145
What a lovely story and ride report. Thanks so much for sharing Jason.
2001 BMW R 1100 S
2005 KTM 300 MXC
Seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:44 PM   #5348
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer: 3,862
Great pics, Jason. I've never taken my bike out there... and keep telling myself I will. I need to get around to that ~ those trails look excellent.

ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:22 PM   #5349
obrianmcc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Taking A Beemer up Willow..... now that would have been an adventure.....

OBR ADV Gear
Website - www.obradvgear.com
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
obrianmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:34 PM   #5350
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell View Post
those trails look excellent
Yep, lots of groomed miles out there, best on a lighter bike. Go before it gets warm. Not much shade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obrianmcc View Post
Taking A Beemer up Willow ... now that would have been an adventure ...
Sorry I wussed out.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:50 PM   #5351
obrianmcc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Abbott View Post
Sorry I wussed out.
You made the wise choice... Willow gets a bit rocky.. and as you found out it still has a bit of water running still. It waters out a lot of bikes each spring.

You could have taken 410 which headed up the hill to the left. 410 runs parallel up on the hill with Willow. 410 then connects to 317 and then into 300 which heads back into Bender Crk. 317 to the east off of 410 takes you into Fiddler Flat, which I would recommend. These routes aren't difficult, 300/317 are all ATV tracks the same as 500.

OBR ADV Gear
Website - www.obradvgear.com
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
obrianmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #5352
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by obrianmcc View Post
You could have taken 410 which headed up the hill to the left. 410 runs parallel up on the hill with Willow. 410 then connects to 317 and then into 300 which heads back into Bender Crk. 317 to the east off of 410 takes you into Fiddler Flat, which I would recommend. These routes aren't difficult, 300/317 are all ATV tracks the same as 500.
Cool, thanks for the tips. I put all the trails from the Danskin PDF into my GPS (Delorme lets you draw your own) but saw a few well established trails that weren't on the map. I guess the PDF is a bit outdated so appreciate the local knowledge.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:23 PM   #5353
riverdoctor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Question Anybody want to meet up for a ride?

Or is anybody planning a ride I can tag along on?
riverdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:05 AM   #5354
av_mech
Risk Taker

Oddometer: 1,143
Flying home to Boise for a short break from Denver today. After putting money down in mid-Feb, waiting til early May to actually see it, only having enough time to put 160 miles on it, then leave it with Happy Trails for six weeks, The Triumph will finally be in my possession!! Riding her back to Denver on Thursday/Friday. Tking the road less traveled. No dirt due to time constraints to get back to Denver, but riding on all two lane from SLC to Denver. Going to Pick up 35 in UT South of SLC, head to Dinosaur on 40, South to Rangely, then Meeker, CO 8 to Yampa, CO, 131 South to 134, and pick up 40 again. Depending on time, I may take 40 through Winter Park and over Berthoud, or I may just run 9 South and pick up the interstate the last 85 miles to Denver. Will be a great trip on my new bike! Hope y'all are finallly getting some good weather back there!

THE ADVENTURES OF TYSON AND HOBBES
THE BACKCOUNTRY PURSUIT- Boise, Idaho's consignment specialist for ADV gear!
av_mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:04 PM   #5355
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Abbott View Post
Cool, thanks for the tips. I put all the trails from the Danskin PDF into my GPS (Delorme lets you draw your own) but saw a few well established trails that weren't on the map. I guess the PDF is a bit outdated so appreciate the local knowledge.
Jason,

Just returned home and read your day ride in the Danskins; you never cease to amaze me with your wonderful insight and commanding gift of the written word. I will say this though.... you sir are nuts, for the places you take that german two wheeled Panzer but I must applaud you on those endeavors as you always manage to emerge unscarred not to mention relatively intact.

See you out there

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote