ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #5566
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer: 3,859
Huh. I'll definitely have to get back there this fall. Maybe combine it with a Birch Creek Ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383 View Post
Tudor warm springs. Just up the river from here:

ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #5567
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,037
The water isn't warm enough for a fall soak. It's about perfect right now. Not too hot, not too cold. I'll be putting up some more pics later that will have a hot springs that would be a perfect fall soak.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:32 PM   #5568
trailrider383
867-5309

Up at the top after the climb out of the canyon.

Wild Horse Dam

Mary's River.

School ruins in Metropolis

Hotel ruins.

Bishop Creek Reservoir

Cow Pie Camp about 1/4 mile from the hot springs.

12 mile hot spring. 103 degrees of soaking pleasure. It is HUGE.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #5569
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer: 3,859
Excellent pics, Ed. I like the ruins of Metropolis ~ that took a lot of effort to build that much out there. Very impressive.

The hotsprings looked excellent as well.

Thanks for posting them.

I'm off, to go check out some new spots. Hopefully I can get some good pics to share. Adios.

ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #5570
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell View Post
Excellent pics, Ed. I like the ruins of Metropolis ~ that took a lot of effort to build that much out there. Very impressive.
Ditto. The somewhat grandiose signage inspired me to read up on it. I recently went through a tattered local history of Latah County (north Idaho) from its formative years. The superlatives and hyperbole were crazy—you'd think they had the strongest, handsomest men, most beautiful women, most wonderful land, very best stores, on and on, for hundreds of pages. Maybe just the way folks marketed a place back then. Sounds like Metropolis, NV had similar advocates.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #5571
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,108
Great pictures Ed!! Metropolis is one of the places I had recommended as a challenge point but alas wasn't considered. I had had that on my agenda for a many years now, glad someone local finally got around to posting it up maybe now it'll finally spark some interest.

You guys left out as I was rolling back into town from Northern Idaho. Hope it wasn't too hot out there? Is that Hot Spring just south of the town off the main gravel road?

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #5572
trailrider383
867-5309

The hot springs is 12 miles north of Wells, that's why it's called that. It's also called Bishop Creek Hot Springs because it's right beside Bishop Creek and below Bishop Creek Reservoir.

The temps weren't bad at all. I was actually chilly Sunday morning until about noon in my mesh jacket. It was overcast and sprinkling a bit.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:56 PM   #5573
airmech
n00b

Oddometer: 4
And they are giving away rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell View Post
Didn't know these existed. Anyone ridden one? Apparently, Snake River has one in stock.

Went for a little test ride today on the new Yamaha, very nice. They have a blue and a black, and that's it until next year. The CFO says not for us this year but she likes.
airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:59 PM   #5574
ID XR600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Metropolis

I wanted to take this ride sooo bad. I had done a loop from Jackpot through the O'Neil Basin to Jarbidge through Murphy Hot Springs back to jackpot,,, missed Metropolis. When I got home I researched online the website ghosttowns.com ,, N. NV has a lot of info,,, read about it,,,put it on my list of cities to see. Anyway I was astonished to see what had become of Metropolis,,, I think Luther or maybe Gene Hackman had something to do with it,,, so is there anything left of the "DAILY PLANET ".
Old 08-03-2011, 08:51 PM   #5575
trailrider383
867-5309

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID XR600 View Post
I wanted to take this ride sooo bad. I had done a loop from Jackpot through the O'Neil Basin to Jarbidge through Murphy Hot Springs back to jackpot,,, missed Metropolis. When I got home I researched online the website ghosttowns.com ,, N. NV has a lot of info,,, read about it,,,put it on my list of cities to see. Anyway I was astonished to see what had become of Metropolis,,, I think Luther or maybe Gene Hackman had something to do with it,,, so is there anything left of the "DAILY PLANET ".
No, I was looking for Lois Lane and she was a no show. Too bad.

trailrider383 screwed with this post 08-03-2011 at 08:56 PM
trailrider383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #5576
trailrider383
867-5309

On around the east side of the Jarbidge Mountains.

Antelope up over 8500' elevation. Strange place to see them.

We ended up going into Jarbidge because we were getting low on fuel.

On the way home we ended up pretty close to where Rita and Albert Chretien got stranded earlier this year. I was planning on finding the spot this fall when I go back down there to ride for a few days. But we were only about 6 miles away so I decided to go look. I had found the spot on Google Earth from clues after reading numerous news articles and seeing some photos.

This is where Rita spent 7 weeks stuck in a van.

This is the view she had to the north.

News Photo

Here is a video that tells the story.

http://www.ktvb.com/home/The-search-...121446474.html

trailrider383 screwed with this post 08-03-2011 at 09:47 PM
trailrider383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #5577
ID XR600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383 View Post
No, I was looking for Lois Lane and she was a no show. Too bad.

She is the hottest Lois Lane for sure, well something to go back for.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #5578
trailrider383
867-5309

I am going to head out late Saturday afternoon and camp north of Lost Valley Reservoir. I'll probably head home Sunday morning around 9:00 to get home before the hot part of the day. Just a quick overnighter to escape the lights of the valley to get a better view of the Perseid meteor shower. The peak this year is August 12th but the moon is full then so they say the viewing should be okay from the first of August. I'll be taking dirt east to Van Deusen road north of Emmett and then north to come out to the pavement at Indian Valley. If you are interested let me know.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:02 PM   #5579
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
Hello to my Fellow ADVIdahoans and a soaker's Q for you!

Today, I am in McCall, Idaho. I road out with some friends on the back of a Goldwing trike. It's so comfy back there, it's like riding on a car seat with the lid off.

Why am I not riding my own bike? Long story.

Anyone been to Zims Hot Springs? My riders that I am riding with are not comfortable riding on ANY dirt road so can you guys tell me if Zims has any dirt to get there? I was hoping to soak tomorrow.

Thanks!

Suz
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:22 PM   #5580
EWood
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Suz View Post
Today, I am in McCall, Idaho. I road out with some friends on the back of a Goldwing trike. It's so comfy back there, it's like riding on a car seat with the lid off.

Why am I not riding my own bike? Long story.

Anyone been to Zims Hot Springs? My riders that I am riding with are not comfortable riding on ANY dirt road so can you guys tell me if Zims has any dirt to get there? I was hoping to soak tomorrow.

Thanks!

Suz
A Really short flat ride off the hwy... any bike can ride it. Not even sure if there is any dirt.
EWood is offline   Reply With Quote