ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2008, 02:22 PM   #571
ditchbanker
Owner of dull user line

Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell
Work =
Riding's better than work, no doubt, but at least I've got a job that's still a lot of fun... Now it's just a matter of working from a bike

--Heath
ditchbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:46 PM   #572
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer: 3,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchbanker
Riding's better than work, no doubt, but at least I've got a job that's still a lot of fun... Now it's just a matter of working from a bike
True.

If you're not on 2 wheels in 5 years, you're banned.

ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:46 PM   #573
Allgo
No Whammy,No Whammy,STOP!

Oddometer: 1,051
Bentonite Brawl

Hemmingway needs some time to dry out. Don't mean to put anybody on the spot but a group ride near Hemmingway on Sat. might not turn out well. Probably won't be set until Sun. afternoon or Mon. Rode out there today and hit the dreaded Bentonite Mud. UNREAL. Looks like solid ground, acts like dirt-mercury. It's practically unrideable and should be avoided due to erosion issues. There are some really good areas, but just short stretches where there is sand or better drainage. Steer clear of trail 140 and anything heading East from the pavement. Level 5 on the MotoIdaho scale IMHO. All that being said, I had a blast- had to pick it up off the ground about 6 times, can't move my arms, but had a blast. Tried to take pics - got brand new batteries and left the memory card at home. IDIOT ! Gosh !

Talked to a couple of guys on smaller 2-strokes and they were struggling. They did say that Rabbit Creek was looking a little better -- mainly the sand washes.

I'll wait and hit Grandview Sun. and then back to the Murphy area Mon.
Allgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:24 PM   #574
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allgonoshow
Hemmingway needs some time to dry out. Don't mean to put anybody on the spot but a group ride near Hemmingway on Sat. might not turn out well. Probably won't be set until Sun. afternoon or Mon. Rode out there today and hit the dreaded Bentonite Mud. UNREAL. Looks like solid ground, acts like dirt-mercury. It's practically unrideable and should be avoided due to erosion issues. There are some really good areas, but just short stretches where there is sand or better drainage. Steer clear of trail 140 and anything heading East from the pavement. Level 5 on the MotoIdaho scale IMHO. All that being said, I had a blast- had to pick it up off the ground about 6 times, can't move my arms, but had a blast. Tried to take pics - got brand new batteries and left the memory card at home. IDIOT ! Gosh !

Talked to a couple of guys on smaller 2-strokes and they were struggling. They did say that Rabbit Creek was looking a little better -- mainly the sand washes.

I'll wait and hit Grandview Sun. and then back to the Murphy area Mon.
Thanks for the info! I'll stick to the sand trails and connect from Hemmingway to Rabbit to see it's any better out there.

By the way, I hate clay. It's pure evil.

ryanwilliamcantrell screwed with this post 02-08-2008 at 10:36 PM
Old 02-08-2008, 11:54 PM   #575
ditchbanker
Owner of dull user line

Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Steer clear of trail 140 and anything heading East from the pavement. Level 5 on the MotoIdaho scale IMHO.
You're only going to encourage him

--Heath
ditchbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:06 AM   #576
Sprout640
when in doubt gas it

Oddometer: 108
Bluhduh McCall

OK.. heading to McCall with the family. Dirt adventure has to wait. Have a great time.
andy
Old 02-09-2008, 03:51 PM   #577
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,114
God, Saturday turned out to be a beautiful sunshiny day, and 46 degrees, so I got home from work an hour or so ago and took the Triumph Kitty for a spin, about 45 miles or so and I feel better now COME ON SPRING!!! Think I'll go fire up Nemo the EXC smoker and pop some wheelies around the yard while the sun's still out

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:36 PM   #578
FXRBILL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
We got out for awhile also.Pic is from the north side of Hilltop.Had to intiate my buds new 08 HD.
Attached Images

FXRBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 05:20 PM   #579
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Where'd Chris say not to go?

The day was so nice, I couldn't pass up riding... even if I didn't have a partner.

I stopped to explore some trails around the top of the ridge and found some new riding.

This was were I was headed.

I learned very quickly that the dirt that's in the sun was dry and great to ride on. The stuff in the shade of the valley was miserable. First 3 hillclimbs went great. The 4th one went into the shade and I got hosed. After dragging my bike back down the hillside, this is what it looked like.

Didn't take long for the tires to gum-up with muck.

First casualty of the day ~ turn signal.

Lot of dry ground to ride.

Eventually I started making my way to Rabbit, with no real route in mind.

Here's what it looked like in the shade. I learned quickly that rocks were your friend... because that's where the traction was.

I was flying along, enjoying the scenary... when suddenly the trail disappeared as I crested the ridge.

I had an oh-&$*% moment, and locked up both the front and rear. Had I gone over, the bike would have been scrap metal.

Second casualty.

Thought I'd get a couple shots while my heart worked it's way out of my throat.

Trail 300 was the best riding of the day. Up on the ridge, all was well.

Eventually, I got bored with 'nice', and remembered Chris saying that 140 was nasty... so I went looking for it.

Found it!!

Note the mud flinging.

It wasn't bad, really... once you got out of the very middle, the traction was reasonable. Tomorrow, the traction will be excellent on this trail.

Trail 200 had the best traction of the day for haulin' rear. Perfect cake... so to speak.

But again, eventually I got bored with 'nice', and headed off the beaten path.

Mucky.

I was staying reasonably clean, though.

Not the bike. It was nasty.

Trail 100 was the worst major trail. It was really soupy at spots.

I found some really fun unmarked trails to get back to Rabbit Creek.

Eventually, my swingarm packed so tigh with mud and clay, I couldn't ride any more. I tried my best to clear it out... but with minimal sucess.

I decided to call it a day, and head back.

The trails at Rabbit were all dry, due to the lack of hills creating shade.

I put on the cold weather gear, and called it a day.

ryanwilliamcantrell screwed with this post 02-09-2008 at 10:20 PM
Old 02-09-2008, 05:30 PM   #580
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,113
Nice pictures. It looks like your fuel tank repair held. Good thing huh? Or you might have had a fuel bath and a nice bit of exercise walking out.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:54 PM   #581
Allgo

Awww, you had it so easy ! I didn't see any slush, ice, snud, slud, snoop or icebergs floating in the bottom of the whoops ! You should've seen it yesterday !! PURE HELL !! I tried using the rocks for traction but they were being swept away too quickly by the mud flows.

Seriously though, ya gotta stop tellin' people how good it is out there. Next thing ya know there'll be three or five guys out there at the same time !

I'll be out there tomorrow. If anybody feels like being antisocial and missing out on the MotoIdaho party, PM me.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:59 PM   #582
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Quote:
Awww, you had it so easy ! I didn't see any slush, ice, snud, slud, snoop or icebergs floating in the bottom of the whoops ! You should've seen it yesterday !! PURE HELL !! I tried using the rocks for traction but they were being swept away too quickly by the mud flows.

Seriously though, ya gotta stop tellin' people how good it is out there. Next thing ya know there'll be three or five guys out there at the same time !

I'll be out there tomorrow. If anybody feels like being antisocial and missing out on the MotoIdaho party, PM me.
It'll be great out there tomorrow.

If were to go out tomorrow, it'd be for a demo on one of those sled/bikes. Can't find anyone to go with though!!

Old 02-09-2008, 06:00 PM   #583
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383
Nice pictures. It looks like your fuel tank repair held. Good thing huh? Or you might have had a fuel bath and a nice bit of exercise walking out.
Yep. 100% fixed (other than being more ugly now that it previously was).

I don't care ~ that bike is a hoot to ride. It'll wheelie for as long as the rider has the guts for.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:03 PM   #584
Allgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell
It'll be great out there tomorrow.

If were to go out tomorrow, it'd be for a demo on one of those sled/bikes. Can't find anyone to go with though!!
I don't want to test ride one of those sled-bikes for the same reason that I don't go to strip clubs.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:52 PM   #585
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,408
Wicked Isn't that a speed descent trail I can see in the photo?

Quote:
I had an oh-&$*% moment, and locked up both the front and rear. Had I gone over, then bike would have been scrap metal.

Stay off the brakes and you will be just fine..
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote