ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2008, 02:22 PM   #571
ditchbanker
Owner of dull user line
 
ditchbanker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Idaho-Beneath the smell of sugarbeats
Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell
Work =
Riding's better than work, no doubt, but at least I've got a job that's still a lot of fun... Now it's just a matter of working from a bike
__________________
"I can't think of a single unmemorable camping trip we've had."

--Heath
ditchbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:46 PM   #572
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!
 
ryanwilliamcantrell's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Nampa, Idaho
Oddometer: 3,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchbanker
Riding's better than work, no doubt, but at least I've got a job that's still a lot of fun... Now it's just a matter of working from a bike
True.

If you're not on 2 wheels in 5 years, you're banned.
__________________
Ride your own ride & enjoy your ride.


ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:46 PM   #573
Allgo
No Whammy,No Whammy,STOP!
 
Allgo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Hoeing the Hard Row
Oddometer: 1,051
Bentonite Brawl

Hemmingway needs some time to dry out. Don't mean to put anybody on the spot but a group ride near Hemmingway on Sat. might not turn out well. Probably won't be set until Sun. afternoon or Mon. Rode out there today and hit the dreaded Bentonite Mud. UNREAL. Looks like solid ground, acts like dirt-mercury. It's practically unrideable and should be avoided due to erosion issues. There are some really good areas, but just short stretches where there is sand or better drainage. Steer clear of trail 140 and anything heading East from the pavement. Level 5 on the MotoIdaho scale IMHO. All that being said, I had a blast- had to pick it up off the ground about 6 times, can't move my arms, but had a blast. Tried to take pics - got brand new batteries and left the memory card at home. IDIOT ! Gosh !

Talked to a couple of guys on smaller 2-strokes and they were struggling. They did say that Rabbit Creek was looking a little better -- mainly the sand washes.

I'll wait and hit Grandview Sun. and then back to the Murphy area Mon.
Allgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:24 PM   #574
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!
 
ryanwilliamcantrell's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Nampa, Idaho
Oddometer: 3,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allgonoshow
Hemmingway needs some time to dry out. Don't mean to put anybody on the spot but a group ride near Hemmingway on Sat. might not turn out well. Probably won't be set until Sun. afternoon or Mon. Rode out there today and hit the dreaded Bentonite Mud. UNREAL. Looks like solid ground, acts like dirt-mercury. It's practically unrideable and should be avoided due to erosion issues. There are some really good areas, but just short stretches where there is sand or better drainage. Steer clear of trail 140 and anything heading East from the pavement. Level 5 on the MotoIdaho scale IMHO. All that being said, I had a blast- had to pick it up off the ground about 6 times, can't move my arms, but had a blast. Tried to take pics - got brand new batteries and left the memory card at home. IDIOT ! Gosh !

Talked to a couple of guys on smaller 2-strokes and they were struggling. They did say that Rabbit Creek was looking a little better -- mainly the sand washes.

I'll wait and hit Grandview Sun. and then back to the Murphy area Mon.
Thanks for the info! I'll stick to the sand trails and connect from Hemmingway to Rabbit to see it's any better out there.


By the way, I hate clay. It's pure evil.
__________________
Ride your own ride & enjoy your ride.



ryanwilliamcantrell screwed with this post 02-08-2008 at 10:36 PM
ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:54 PM   #575
ditchbanker
Owner of dull user line
 
ditchbanker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Idaho-Beneath the smell of sugarbeats
Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allgonoshow
Steer clear of trail 140 and anything heading East from the pavement. Level 5 on the MotoIdaho scale IMHO.
You're only going to encourage him
__________________
"I can't think of a single unmemorable camping trip we've had."

--Heath
ditchbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:06 AM   #576
Sprout640
when in doubt gas it
 
Sprout640's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: SW Idaho
Oddometer: 108
Bluhduh McCall

OK.. heading to McCall with the family. Dirt adventure has to wait. Have a great time.
andy
__________________
Id rather be an "also ran" any day than one of those whose sole contribution amounts to an "I told you so..." from the distance of some ether-net induced coma... me...
Sprout640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:51 PM   #577
Idahosam
Set Adrift
 
Idahosam's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Here and There.. but mostly in the Desert
Oddometer: 4,114
God, Saturday turned out to be a beautiful sunshiny day, and 46 degrees, so I got home from work an hour or so ago and took the Triumph Kitty for a spin, about 45 miles or so and I feel better now COME ON SPRING!!! Think I'll go fire up Nemo the EXC smoker and pop some wheelies around the yard while the sun's still out
__________________
My Ride South of the Border
Riding Nevada's Pony Express Trail May 2013

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:36 PM   #578
FXRBILL
Gnarly Adventurer
 
FXRBILL's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Kuna,Idaho
Oddometer: 121
We got out for awhile also.Pic is from the north side of Hilltop.Had to intiate my buds new 08 HD.
Attached Images
 
FXRBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 05:20 PM   #579
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!
 
ryanwilliamcantrell's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Nampa, Idaho
Oddometer: 3,862
Where'd Chris say not to go?

The day was so nice, I couldn't pass up riding... even if I didn't have a partner.


I stopped to explore some trails around the top of the ridge and found some new riding.

This was were I was headed.






I learned very quickly that the dirt that's in the sun was dry and great to ride on. The stuff in the shade of the valley was miserable. First 3 hillclimbs went great. The 4th one went into the shade and I got hosed. After dragging my bike back down the hillside, this is what it looked like.








Didn't take long for the tires to gum-up with muck.




First casualty of the day ~ turn signal.





Lot of dry ground to ride.




Eventually I started making my way to Rabbit, with no real route in mind.




Here's what it looked like in the shade. I learned quickly that rocks were your friend... because that's where the traction was.












I was flying along, enjoying the scenary... when suddenly the trail disappeared as I crested the ridge.





I had an oh-&$*% moment, and locked up both the front and rear. Had I gone over, the bike would have been scrap metal.







Second casualty.












Thought I'd get a couple shots while my heart worked it's way out of my throat.





Trail 300 was the best riding of the day. Up on the ridge, all was well.




Eventually, I got bored with 'nice', and remembered Chris saying that 140 was nasty... so I went looking for it.




Found it!!

Note the mud flinging.





It wasn't bad, really... once you got out of the very middle, the traction was reasonable. Tomorrow, the traction will be excellent on this trail.










Trail 200 had the best traction of the day for haulin' rear. Perfect cake... so to speak.




But again, eventually I got bored with 'nice', and headed off the beaten path.




Mucky.





I was staying reasonably clean, though.





Not the bike. It was nasty.





Trail 100 was the worst major trail. It was really soupy at spots.





I found some really fun unmarked trails to get back to Rabbit Creek.





Eventually, my swingarm packed so tigh with mud and clay, I couldn't ride any more. I tried my best to clear it out... but with minimal sucess.










I decided to call it a day, and head back.


The trails at Rabbit were all dry, due to the lack of hills creating shade.


















I put on the cold weather gear, and called it a day.
__________________
Ride your own ride & enjoy your ride.



ryanwilliamcantrell screwed with this post 02-09-2008 at 10:20 PM
ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 05:30 PM   #580
trailrider383
867-5309
 
trailrider383's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: NP, ID
Oddometer: 3,113
Nice pictures. It looks like your fuel tank repair held. Good thing huh? Or you might have had a fuel bath and a nice bit of exercise walking out.
__________________
DO WHAT YOU LIKE - LIKE WHAT YOU DO
Explain to me again why enjoying life when I retire is more important than enjoying life now?
trailrider383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 05:54 PM   #581
Allgo
No Whammy,No Whammy,STOP!
 
Allgo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Hoeing the Hard Row
Oddometer: 1,051
Awww, you had it so easy ! I didn't see any slush, ice, snud, slud, snoop or icebergs floating in the bottom of the whoops ! You should've seen it yesterday !! PURE HELL !! I tried using the rocks for traction but they were being swept away too quickly by the mud flows.

Seriously though, ya gotta stop tellin' people how good it is out there. Next thing ya know there'll be three or five guys out there at the same time !

I'll be out there tomorrow. If anybody feels like being antisocial and missing out on the MotoIdaho party, PM me.
Allgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 05:59 PM   #582
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!
 
ryanwilliamcantrell's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Nampa, Idaho
Oddometer: 3,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allgonoshow
Awww, you had it so easy ! I didn't see any slush, ice, snud, slud, snoop or icebergs floating in the bottom of the whoops ! You should've seen it yesterday !! PURE HELL !! I tried using the rocks for traction but they were being swept away too quickly by the mud flows.

Seriously though, ya gotta stop tellin' people how good it is out there. Next thing ya know there'll be three or five guys out there at the same time !

I'll be out there tomorrow. If anybody feels like being antisocial and missing out on the MotoIdaho party, PM me.
It'll be great out there tomorrow.

If were to go out tomorrow, it'd be for a demo on one of those sled/bikes. Can't find anyone to go with though!!
__________________
Ride your own ride & enjoy your ride.


ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:00 PM   #583
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!
 
ryanwilliamcantrell's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Nampa, Idaho
Oddometer: 3,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383
Nice pictures. It looks like your fuel tank repair held. Good thing huh? Or you might have had a fuel bath and a nice bit of exercise walking out.
Yep. 100% fixed (other than being more ugly now that it previously was).

I don't care ~ that bike is a hoot to ride. It'll wheelie for as long as the rider has the guts for.
__________________
Ride your own ride & enjoy your ride.


ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:03 PM   #584
Allgo
No Whammy,No Whammy,STOP!
 
Allgo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Hoeing the Hard Row
Oddometer: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell
It'll be great out there tomorrow.

If were to go out tomorrow, it'd be for a demo on one of those sled/bikes. Can't find anyone to go with though!!
I don't want to test ride one of those sled-bikes for the same reason that I don't go to strip clubs.
Allgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:52 PM   #585
tvbh40a
PSUViking
 
tvbh40a's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Idaho home of the fiesta bowl champ BSU bronco's
Oddometer: 1,408
Wicked Isn't that a speed descent trail I can see in the photo?

Quote:
I had an oh-&$*% moment, and locked up both the front and rear. Had I gone over, then bike would have been scrap metal.


Stay off the brakes and you will be just fine..
__________________
"Do today what other's won't, so you can do tomorrow what other's can't." Jody Sears-West Point
It is not enough to want to make the effort. Its in the doing, not just the thinking, that we accomplish our goals."
Just tell her my wife said it's OK-Handy
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014