ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #5896
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,331

Nice.
Thanks for the late report; in my mind, I was riding those roads right now.
But I skipped that single track part
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #5897
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
Thanks for Posting!

Thanks RWC for posting. Great photos and narrative; you're brave to post those mistakes that the rest of us won't admit to, but have all commited...and laughed at. Dave
...what this really wants is an outgoing, gregarious, driven, type A; an extrovert, Alpha male P.T. Barnum salesman type with little time left to examine his life or to worry about knocking things off the coffee table with his tail....John Burns

I got the right gal when gas WAS $19 cents a gallon she's has put up with me for 58 years...AK Bike
dammitdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #5898
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
Thanks!

Thanks Trailrider, I haven't ridden the East side of the Owyhees yet. I watch this thread for ideas to incorporate in a second trip to the area. Thanks again!, Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383 View Post
We were riding out of the Fossil Creek Trailhead on the Owyhee Front east of Murphy, ID. The mountains are the Silver City Range.
...what this really wants is an outgoing, gregarious, driven, type A; an extrovert, Alpha male P.T. Barnum salesman type with little time left to examine his life or to worry about knocking things off the coffee table with his tail....John Burns

I got the right gal when gas WAS $19 cents a gallon she's has put up with me for 58 years...AK Bike
dammitdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #5899
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer: 3,862
Day 3, Morning

In the morning, Phil and I paid our dues to a very grumpy lady, then enjoyed soaking in the hot springs.

Here's a generic Google pic of the place.

We packed up, fueled up, and set out northwest to see Twin Peaks.

Twin Peaks LO can be seen for a LONG ways out...

It's said to be the highest, manned lookout in the US.

We both enjoyed Twin Peaks, but the destination of the day was Sleeping Deer, which was another 45 miles of windy mountain-side trail away, so we set out after talking with the LO staff for a bit.

ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #5900
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Day 3, Afternoon

The afternoon's destination was Sleeping Deer. We were told by locals that the road was closed due to a washout, that moto's could likely squeeze by, so we set off.

This was the washout, that was preventing FS to getting back to the LO.

Sleeping Deer is WAY out on the edge of the wilderness, and it sure felt like it. We were the only souls out there.

The further out we got, the more concerned we got that the road hadn't been cleared this year (it was late Aug!). We were hopping logs every 100 yards, and going under or around the ones that were too big to jump.

We were within sight of the LO, when we rounded a corner and say this:

We got off our bikes, and walked around a bit ~ there was simply no way around the massive slide. It was 15 tall, and stretched for 50 yards on either side of the road.

I got bored, and got a running start and 'skated' the length of it in my slick-bottomed moto boots.

I couldn't believe we got hosed by a snow drift, at the end of Aug. No Sleeping Deer LO today.

We could see the LO from our perch.

So, we begrudgingly turned our bikes around, and headed back to Challis for dinner and fuel.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #5901
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Day 3, Evening

The evening's destination was Bighorn Crags; a place I know only as a spot on the map.

We headed up Morgan Creek/Panther Creek to our destination.

It was a lot of fast gravel, which was good, because we were trying to outrun the rain that'd been building all afternoon.

1/2 to Shoup, we hung a hard left, and started to climb in elevation.

We soon found the parking area for the Bighorn Crags Lake, put on our 'hiking apparel', and headed to see the lake.

The lake didn't disappoint. It was beautiful and FULL of trout. They were jumping, swimming and surfacing all around the lake.

We thought about spending the night there, but there was another lake nearby we wanted to see 1st; Yellowjacket Lake. We make was turned out to be a GREAT decision (for changed) and headed out to see it.

There were multiple washouts on the way to Yellowjacket Lake, which proved to be GREAT for us, as we were the only tracks in the area.

We got to Yellowjacket, and couldn't believe our luck. Not only was it a phenomenally beautiful area, but we were the only ones there.

If you're ever in that area, I highly recommend you stop in and check out the lake.

We set up camp, got a camp fire crackling, and enjoyed the evening of quit bliss... though I wish I'd had my fly rod, as the fish spent all evening rising...

ryanwilliamcantrell screwed with this post 02-19-2012 at 03:31 PM
Old 02-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #5902
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Day 4, Morning

We were pretty high in elevation, and it was flippin' cold in the am.

Our destination for the afternoon was Middlefork LO, which as on the edge of the wilderness, surrounded by wilderness on most if it's edges.

We headed west, through the old mining area of Yellowjacket Mines.

Rolling through Yellowjacket, we were greeted by two angry dogs that wanted a piece of my ankle.

I thought about warning Phil, but instead, twisted the throttle and out ran them, then pulled of the road to enjoy watching Phil get chased by the same beasts.

We rode more miles and miles of back-country roads to work our way up the hill threw what seemed like and infinite amount of turns.

We finally arrived at our destination, which was in fact in the middle of no where.

If my memory serves me correct, everything west of the valley is Frank Church Wilderness.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #5903
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Day 4, Afternoon

We knew we had a lot of miles ahead of that afternoon, so we didn't linger at the LO too long, before heading back down the hill.

Instead of angry dogs this time, I was attacked by an angry, bold, bird.

I'm not sure was his deal was, but he lit after me, and wouldn't leave me alone. It was hysterical.

The hysteria did last long. A few miles later, I was rounding a corner and a F250 was 'on my side'. We both jammed on the brakes, which only made it worse. In the slow motion thought process that often takes place when you're in deep doo doo, I thought it a better option to fish-tail out and get hit from the side, then wad my forks into his bumper.

I made my choice, and hung hard right. The corner of his bumper pinned my shin between his bumper and my bike frame, and sharp pain shot up my leg, as the force of the impact shot me high side off the bike.

As I lay on my back, trying to decide if my leg was broken, and very shaken-up red neck got out of his truck, Budweiser in-hand, to see if I was ok.

I waited a few minutes to get up, and found that I could put some weight on my leg, which meant it wasn't broken. Granted, it hurt like hell, but it wasn't broken.

The fella felt really bad... which didn't make me feel any better. The truth is, it wasn't either of our faults. Neither of us were going any quicker than 20 mph, we just happened to meet in a bad, narrow corner. He had places to me, I had tears to cry, so he took off.

I popped 6 Ibu's waited about 30 minutes until my leg worked again, (thank God for the shin guards and full moto boots) and we hopped on the bikes and headed into Salmon for fuel and dinner.

My focus wasn't on getting pics, so much, as getting my foot to work and shift when needed... so not pics from the incident to Salmon.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #5904
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Day 4, Evening

After fuel in Salmon, dinner at BK, and 6 more Ibu's, I felt much better. Our goal for the evening was to get over Big Windy and into the valley to stay the night at the Barney Hot Springs.

Big Windy had been a personal nemesis since it ate the clutch on my 950 after getting stuck in shale rock climbing the west face of it. This time, we were coming up the east face, which I though would be easier.

The assumptions proved accurate, and we climbed to over 10k without issue.

The views from the top are impressive, with a 360 view of the whole area.

The whole are is littered with old mines.

Somehow, in our wanderings on the peak, I got us lost. I missed the turn for the road taking us west off the mountain, and got us on an ATV trail I'd looked for (but not found) several years prior. Turned out be a GREAT ATV trail that we were both grateful to be going down, not up.

We reached the bottom, and headed into the valley to find Barney Hot Spring Campground.

The rail rolled in, as we rolled into camp.

We set up ASAP, before walking over to the Hot Springs.

crappy, generic Google pic of Barney (I've been here many times, and didn't bother taking pic). If you've not been there, it's pretty cool. Lots of tropical fish swimming on the bottom of the springs (from, rumor has it, someone dumped a bunch in there at some point, and they've bred). If you get there on a day when no one has been there, and the water is clear, you can see hundreds of them on the bottom, swimming around. Yellow, blue and zebra fish. Very cool.

After the rain rolled in then rolled out, it left a great sunset, and a cool summer evening.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #5905
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,331
Awesome

Some kick-yer-ass roads, eh?
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #5906
silverspurs
what's over there?

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Did an overnighter this past weekend. Started out on Succor Creek Road west of Homedale, ID. I looked down and saw this just a few miles into the gravel.

Dropping down into Owyhee River Canyon. The warm springs is down in the bottom.

Made it to the warm springs.

The upper pool

Part of the bridge support for the old wagon road that went over the upper pool.

The lower pool

Looking down into Antelope Creek Canyon. The trail out of that was a bitch. It would have been tough on my CRF450X. It was a workout on my DR650 loaded with camping gear.

Five Bar on the West Little Owyhee River

I hid on the other (downwind) side of this custom painted trailer during a thunderstorm. Stayed nice and dry. It looks nice and shiny after the wash job. I would like to know the story behind this trailer way out in the middle of nowhere. I saw it through binoculars from the other side of the canyon back in 2004 and it was still shiny aluminum back then.

I was planning on camping in the bottom of the canyon here at Five Bar, but the thunderstorm and the other clouds on the horizon changed my mind. It is very steep getting into and out of the canyon. I didn't want to get stranded in the bottom. So I decided to camp on Antelope Creek by this water crossing. I just about dumped it about ten feet from the other side. My rear tire got wedged in between two big rocks and stopped. I put my left foot down to hold myself up and my foot was sinking in loose sand. It was about 50 feet across and 2 1/2 feet deep.

Anderson Crossing on the West Little Owyhee River

At the summit before you drop down to HWY95 north of McDermitt

Oregon Canyon Mountains north of McDermitt. I think this will be my next trip in a few weeks. I want to check out these mountains and the Trout Creek Mountains. And head over to Denio and hike up to the old B29 bomber plane crash site.

The sign by HWY95 where I hit pavement

very sorry to resurrect this very old post, but I would love to do this ride in spring/summer and need to know a couple of things If you or anyone else could help me...
1) was this ride done from the South/West side of the Owyhee River? ie; Skull Creek rd, or from the North/East side from Three Forks Rd??
2) If from Three Forks Rd, did you cross the NF Owyhee bridge, then ford the Middle Owyhee to get to the Hot Springs? Then; where did you cross the South Fork Owyhee to get over to Anderson Crossing on the Little
West Fork of the Owyhee?? (obviously not an issue if you went in on Skull Creek Rd)...
3) are the Tudor hot springs on the East or West side of the South Fork Owyhee??

thanks! I'm really interested in this ride... again; sorry for the ancient post resurrection... rick
silverspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #5907
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,142
It was all done on the west side of the river. The warm springs are on the west side as well. The only time you can get to the warm springs from the east side is summer/fall when the river is low. Check out this report where we came in from the east side and forded the river at the end of September.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...s+forks+owyhee

If you need some company when you go, let me know. I love that area.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:41 AM   #5908
silverspurs
what's over there?

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
It was all done on the west side of the river. The warm springs are on the west side as well. The only time you can get to the warm springs from the east side is summer/fall when the river is low. Check out this report where we came in from the east side and forded the river at the end of September.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...s+forks+owyhee

If you need some company when you go, let me know. I love that area.

Thanks!! that was a great ride report!... got my blood up to get out and ride!... The KLR is taking it's winter nap right now, I just installed a 685 kit and now the head is down in California with E M doing some work on it (going kinda sloooow, I'm trying very hard to be patient) anyway... I hope to have it all back together by early April, then finish breaking in the new 685 and if the weather is good look at this ride in mid April or Mid May?? I'll keep you posted on how the rebuild goes, would love to do this ride with you... rick

PS; a few of us are looking at trailering the bikes down to S. Utah 1st weekend of May to do a couple of day rides out from St George, one of those being a ride down to the Toroweap overlook on the GC... if any of ya'll are interested... you'd be welcome to join us!

silverspurs screwed with this post 02-20-2012 at 12:46 AM
silverspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #5909
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,120
Way to go Trailrider and RWC, stir it up get the juices going....... riding time......... soon, eh.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:35 AM   #5910
dirtywurty
Emmett ,Id

Oddometer: 182
a New set of tires for the DRZ is in order.

I am sure I was busy when I missed that epic ride with Ryan and Phil
. Now that I look back
I don't think it was worth missing that ride whatever I was doing .
dirtywurty is offline   Reply With Quote