ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #5911
effensteve
Enjoying the ride

Oddometer: 657
Fyi

I spent about 6 hours and 150 miles on the west side of Owyhee resivoir today and there's almost 0 mud. There was even a bit of dust following me around. Get ur buts out and ride. The conditions are primo
effensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #5912
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by effensteve View Post
I spent about 6 hours and 150 miles on the west side of Owyhee resivoir today and there's almost 0 mud. There was even a bit of dust following me around. Get ur buts out and ride. The conditions are primo
Thanks for the conditions report. I was thinking about going to Juntura for lunch the dirty way tomorrow if I don't have anything else going on. 50° and sunny for tomorrow.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #5913
effensteve
Enjoying the ride

Sounds great, too bad I promised my kid I would take her out right after school tomorrow, 3:00 to ride at clay peak. I was also thinking of juntura, but maybe next tuesday or wednesday, to celebrate the 1 year anniversary of the KLR bash we had last spring. That road that ate my KLR, is pretty fun for about 10 or so miles up to twin springs FYI
Old 02-24-2012, 11:13 PM   #5914
trailrider383
867-5309

Quote:
Way to go Boise riders, the sun is shining the trails are dry and the boise thread made it all the way back to the third page. I guess I am going to have to figure out how to post my own pics since your not providing me with anything to read about.
Quote:
Pics or it didn't happen.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:26 PM   #5915
trailrider383
867-5309

Speaking of pics, I took very few today. 230 mile ride.

This was a herd of about 25 mule deer, now just a couple of butts.

More weird things in the desert. Area 51?

Bunches of little mesh bags of dirt buried in the dirt. And tied with pretty ribbon!

Old 02-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #5916
effensteve
Enjoying the ride

250 miles, according to my calculations, that would take me almost exactly 2 full tanks of fuel, figured the mileage on the DRZ yesterday and I am either going to have to adjust my riding style , or start strapping on more fuel because 31.5 mpg's wont get me far enough on 4 gallons of gas .

Thanks for the pics there Trailrider
Old 02-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #5917
effensteve
Enjoying the ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383 View Post
Pics or it didn't happen.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:52 AM   #5918
obrianmcc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
250 miles, according to my calculations, that would take me almost exactly 2 full tanks of fuel, figured the mileage on the DRZ yesterday and I am either going to have to adjust my riding style , or start strapping on more fuel because 31.5 mpg's wont get me far enough on 4 gallons of gas .

31.5 MPG?.... I average a constant 50-55 MPG on my plated E

OBR ADV Gear
Website - www.obradvgear.com
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
obrianmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #5919
effensteve
Enjoying the ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by obrianmcc View Post
31.5 MPG?.... I average a constant 50-55 MPG on my plated E

I figured I'd get 40-45, hell my KLR got over 45 consistantly even the way I ride, I'm going to take my next ride like a sane person and see if that helps, if it does I think I'll be even more dissapointed.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #5920
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell View Post
There's a RR I'd not posted, from last summer, and I've got an extra day this weekend, so I thought I'd get started on it...
Epic as usual. And inspiring enough that I spent time laying out the route in the GPS software—and saw how many miles

Anyway, really enjoyed it so far. And always fun to imagine Phil whining.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #5921
trailrider383
867-5309

Quote:

No wonder it was for sale!

Quote:
I figured I'd get 40-45, hell my KLR got over 45 consistantly even the way I ride, I'm going to take my next ride like a sane person and see if that helps, if it does I think I'll be even more dissapointed.
Where is the fun in that? I guess I'll pass on accompanying you on your next ride if you are going to behave like that.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #5922
obrianmcc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Hmmm....at a minimum.... do you have a big bore installed.

My E is all stock except for a Leo Vince Slip On, 14/44 gearing (06 with hotter cams and FCR)... run hard and put away wet...still insists on giving me 50-55 mpg (Dual Sporting). I've never measured after riding Dez sand... probably mid to high 40's in those conditions.

OBR ADV Gear
Website - www.obradvgear.com
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
obrianmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #5923
J T M
Hold my beer, Watch this!

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
My KLR got 55 till I changed the jettting and pipe now down to 50, Hell my Honda accord get's 31.
J T M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #5924
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer: 659
Owyhee route sanity check

Your desert rides have me motivated to get out there. Can anyone with experience say if this route to Juntura is reasonable for my GS (links to Google map)? I would return on pavement.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #5925
trailrider383
867-5309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Abbott View Post
Your desert rides have me motivated to get out there. Can anyone with experience say if this route to Juntura is reasonable for my GS (links to Google map)? I would return on pavement.
Jason,
Looks good for the most part. Are you planning on jumping the Owyhee River Canyon? Your route ends before it drops into the canyon. There is actually a really loose, rocky, steep downhill right as you drop into the canyon on that route.

On the other end of your route there is a big zig zag that takes you off of Granite Creek Road. I haven't been that way. If you stay on Granite Creek Road and don't do the zig zag, you drop into a ranch. There is a sign saying to stay on the main road as you go through the ranch. You still end up on the Riverside road after you get through the ranch.

There are a couple of spots along your route that stay in the shade that can be pretty muddy also. Might not be a problem this year though.