ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #5986
Special Ed_65
A.K.A. Special Ed

Oddometer: 169
I got out today

RR here...Ed http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782546

http://www.motoidaho.com/
Special Ed_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:52 PM   #5987
silverspurs
what's over there?

Oddometer: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383 View Post
This next weekend looks like it is shaping up pretty well. I think I will go for a desert ride, camping and hot springs tour of Southeast Oregon. Leaving later Friday afternoon and returning Sunday. If anyone is interested let me know.

I'm very interested... unfortunately; I'm also on call all weekend at the Hospital... (although I did get someone to cover for me for a few hours on Saturday for the IAMC ride)...

anyway, another time!! I want to get out there with ya...

silverspurs screwed with this post 04-17-2012 at 11:18 PM
silverspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #5988
silverspurs
what's over there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggleswerth View Post
Hey Silverspurs, how do you like your KLR's engine work?

it has been quite an adventure... , first EM sent me the wrong size piston in the kit, the piston was too small, so we had to tear it all down and do it over... ,
then after the third tear down, I got one of the cam bearings on crooked and broke the bearing... parts of the bearing went down into the engine, made the timing chain skip timing, bent both intake valves, so I had to tear the entire engine down and get all the metal bits out of there and the head went to EM in California, he repaired the bearing and while he had it, put larger valves in and did some work on the ports... but when I got it back, it had the wrong size shims on the intake valves, so I had to fix that...
anyway... the power boost is great, it has more low end torque, and I can run the 16 tooth front sprocket now without lugging the engine which makes riding at 70mph pleasant...

I recommend the big bore, it makes the KLR a nicer and more capable bike IMO...

I just wish I was a better mechanic so I could have avoided most of these problems...

On the positive side... I'm getting to know the KLR pretty well now, so while I've gotten an education I never really wanted to have, it's still and education... rick

silverspurs screwed with this post 04-18-2012 at 10:15 PM
Old 04-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #5989
effensteve
Enjoying the ride

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
This next weekend looks like it is shaping up pretty well. I think I will go for a desert ride, camping and hot springs tour of Southeast Oregon. Leaving later Friday afternoon and returning Sunday. If anyone is interested let me know.

I think you should put this off for a couple of weeks, you know, untill my landscaping projects are caught up
effensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #5990
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by effensteve View Post
I think you should put this off for a couple of weeks, you know, untill my landscaping projects are caught up
I'll probably be ready for another camping trip by then. I don't think I'm going to get to hit all the spots I want to on this trip.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #5991
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,109
Finally put together a short video of the Boise group at Hells Canyon last year

It was a fun and relaxing gathering and didn't even rain too much

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #5992
EWood
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Thanks for posting that Sam. I had wanted to see that! Thanks Eric..
EWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #5993
Special Ed_65
A.K.A. Special Ed

Oddometer: 169
You found it, Thanks for posting it Sam

http://www.motoidaho.com/
Special Ed_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #5994
trailrider383
867-5309

Nice sunsets this weekend.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:32 PM   #5995
silverspurs
what's over there?

The "Modified IAMC Spring Poker Ride" 4/21/12

Since we had the time and wanted to ride all day, we kinda "modified" the ride and added our own little twist to it... it was fun to meet some of the IAMC members and participate in the first part of the ride to Mayfield and Canyon Creek Station...
Mortimer Moose (Morty), has been itchin' all winter for a good long ride... he's pretty good luck, so I agreed to take him along...

The Group gathers at Bad Boy Burgers... I got there at 0745, but the doors were locked, so I went across the street to Jerry's and had steak and eggs... turned out to be a good choice...

Capt Ed reviews the plan and ride protocols before we head out...

with every thing settled, the group prepares to mount up...

first stop; Mayfield, at one time an active farming community that sponsored dances that drew folks from all over the Treasure Valley, this was a happening place in it's day...

time and vandals are taking their toll on the old community center/dance hall...

then on to Canyon Creek station, a stop on the Oregon Trail where weary travelers could rest and recruit their stock...

we had a pretty big group on the ride, around 26 I think... this makes for lots of bikes and lots of dust!!... and we were strung out for miles...

Ron was riding Sweep and keeping the stragglers accounted for...

It was here that I and my friend Trent had planned to head West... we bid farewell to the big group and headed into Mountain Home and then Grandview... Morty and the bikes decided they needed drinks and fuel as we had a bunch of miles ahead of us...

Then it was on to Oreana and the cool little church on the corner of Oreana Loop and Bachman Grade roads...

Heading out across the flats toward Bachman grade... the road had lots of deep gravel on it and at times was like riding on marbles... but great views!!!

getting close to the top of Bachman grade, where we stopped and ate our Subway sandwiches that we picked up in Mtn Home

We went on over to Triangle and then headed Northwest on the Flint road to Jordan Valley, the Flint road hasn't been maintained this year and at times had some challenges and was a lot of fun!... a bit of water...

and muddy ruts that would make your bike take a nap if you weren't careful...

we saw lot's of flora and fauna... I'm not sure if a cow qualifies as fauna, but hey... it's what we saw the most of!! ;o)

The mining town of Flint is up this road, one of the IAMC 2011 Challenge sites...

This huge bulletin board was near where Flint Creek road crosses Jordan Creek... me thinks the gov boys might be over regulating things just a bit!!??

South Mountain... there is a lookout on top that is part of the IAMC 2012 Challenge... might be a few weeks before anyone gets to it with all the snow...

Morty thought the view was outstanding!!, even through my bug splattered wind shield!...

coming into the head of Jordan Valley, with Jordan creek down there... Ranchers burning off old grass... wondered why it was so hazy today!

the end of Flint Creek road and onto the Owyhee Scenic Byway... the sign to where we came from...

lots of cattle and cattlemen working today...

it was a great ride, a great day, with good folks, both in the big group and our little group... love dual sport MC's!!... about 220 miles and 8.5 hrs, we were back in Boise at 1730

Oh... can't forget a pic of our trusty steeds... they performed flawlessly today...

parting shots... ride safe... ride often!!

silverspurs screwed with this post 04-25-2012 at 06:05 PM
Old 04-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #5996
silverspurs
what's over there?

Quote:
Nice sunsets this weekend.

Hey Trailrider: how do you get these nice big format pictures to load?? I can't get it to take mine in this large format... they would look sooo much better... thanks rick
Old 04-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #5997
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,109
WOW, Silverspurs, looks like you had a beautiful ride. Saturday worked out perfect, and not a bad turnout for the Poker ride either.

Trailrider, looks like you too went out and had a good ride, so, where did you get that picture?

To everyone I am sorry I didn't make the annual Poker Rider but had something going on up in Moscow.

I am heading back out tomorrow for Utah again see you all in a week... out.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #5998
silverspurs
what's over there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
WOW, Silverspurs, looks like you had a beautiful ride. Saturday worked out perfect, and not a bad turnout for the Poker ride either.

Trailrider, looks like you too went out and had a good ride, so, where did you get that picture?

To everyone I am sorry I didn't make the annual Poker Rider but had something going on up in Moscow.

I am heading back out tomorrow for Utah again see you all in a week... out.

Hope everything is ok on the family front Sam. Apparently after we left, Capt Ed got to put on a tire changing clinic sorry we missed that! it's always good to learn from the experts!
I'll be in Southern Utah at Toroweap when they have the Challenge kick off in Boise on May 5th...
but hope to see you sometime this summer... rick
Old 04-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #5999
trailrider383
867-5309

[QUOTE=Idahosam;18525552]
QUOTE]

I might do a ride report so you'll find out then. Have fun in Utah.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #6000
trailrider383
867-5309

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspurs View Post
Hey Trailrider: how do you get these nice big format pictures to load?? I can't get it to take mine in this large format... they would look sooo much better... thanks rick
Heck if I know. I just upload them to Photobucket and that's how they come out.