ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #7171
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Abbott View Post
Love it. And matching (color-wise) bikes too. That flag is a good idea. Need to do that. How did he do on the hills out there?

The boy and I are shooting for a first overnight ride this Saturday at the ridge spot I found last week.
His PW50 is a 2-stroke auto, so it struggles getting up the hills if he's not staying on the cowbell... and he's not a fan of the cowbell yet (give him time!). So, before we get to a hill, I have to remind him to stay on the throttle because it doesn't have any torque. I often find myself dropping the kickstand, and putting my foot in the back of his bike to give him a bit of a 'boost'. I'd like to get him a 4 stroke step through next, so that he can lug it when he wants to.

I like the flag, because he's hard to see in the rises out there... and it makes him very obvious to the other riders.

I've also considered an overnighter with Cole, but his stamina isn't quite there yet to enjoy more than 5-7 miles at a time. Eventually, I'll take him up Black Mt near Silver City, and stay up there with him.

ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:44 PM   #7172
silverspurs
what's over there?

Oddometer: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhopjohn View Post
Went out to hit a few more of the IAMC Challenge sites today now that the rain let up a bit. Headed down to Murphy and then on down to the Utter Challenge Marker, Shoofly Oolite and finally Three Island Crossing. Somehow at Three Island Crossing State Park I managed to get a 2" long slice right across my front tire. I didn't have a tube with me, so I limped my way in to Glenn's Ferry and called the insurance company for roadside assistance. I managed to convince them to have me towed all the way back to Boise on their dime. So I guess I am on the search for my next front tire, I liked the look, and really like liked the price of that IRC TR8 Sam was running on his 990, so I think that's the way I am leaning.

Poor Tiger out of Commission in Glenn's Ferry

The rather large gash in my front tire, even if I had had a tube I would have still needed to limp home given the size of the gash in the tire.

I noticed Silverspurs is kicking @ss and taking names, almost 30 Challenge sites logged already!
Kicking my own Ass maybe!!
Wow!.. that's a nasty gash... glad the Ins Co made good for you.
I had a big 4 day weekend over Memorial Day Weekend... and needed to see My Dad over in Driggs, so I decided to hit it hard and knock out all the Eastern Idaho, Montana and Utah sites in the process... 1598 miles in 4 days... lots of country, lots of beautiful places, and even spent a day with Dad...
I also had my own near disaster with tires... My rear Stocker was looking a little thin when I started out with about 7000 miles on it, so I took a spare Anakee 3 with me in case I needed it... ended up changing tires at the end of the second day after 800 miles on the trip...

next day, I put about 200 miles on the new Anakee 3. Then coming out of Caribou City on the Greys Lake Road, I was tearing along the gravel doing about 50mph on a really fun road... Then CRAP! I have no idea what I ran over, but it punched three holes in my brand new rear tire... DAMN!! I used every plug I had with me to patch all those holes and get back on the road again... if there had been one more hole, I'd still be out there pushing my bike toward the nearest Farm house (about 20 miles)... but overall, a fun weekend!

I'll be slowing down some on the challenge sites now... got to save some adventure for the rest of the summer!

silverspurs screwed with this post 05-30-2013 at 09:53 PM
silverspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #7173
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,108
Pony Express

OK guys got the preamble started

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post21535518

I am just having a difficult time getting the narrative stuff going right now.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #7174
silverspurs
what's over there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
OK guys got the preamble started

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post21535518

I am just having a difficult time getting the narrative stuff going right now.
Subscribed Sam!! can't wait to see the entire thing!
Old 05-31-2013, 08:56 PM   #7175
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,108
Dang John, I never seen a cut like that cross wise. did you hit some obsidian? maybe an old beer bottle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspurs View Post
Kicking my own Ass maybe!!
Wow!.. that's a nasty gash... glad the Ins Co made good for you.
I had a big 4 day weekend over Memorial Day Weekend... and needed to see My Dad over in Driggs, so I decided to hit it hard and knock out all the Eastern Idaho, Montana and Utah sites in the process... 1598 miles in 4 days... lots of country, lots of beautiful places, and even spent a day with Dad...
I also had my own near disaster with tires... My rear Stocker was looking a little thin when I started out with about 7000 miles on it, so I took a spare Anakee 3 with me in case I needed it... ended up changing tires at the end of the second day after 800 miles on the trip...

next day, I put about 200 miles on the new Anakee 3. Then coming out of Caribou City on the Greys Lake Road, I was tearing along the gravel doing about 50mph on a really fun road... Then CRAP! I have no idea what I ran over, but it punched three holes in my brand new rear tire... DAMN!! I used every plug I had with me to patch all those holes and get back on the road again... if there had been one more hole, I'd still be out there pushing my bike toward the nearest Farm house (about 20 miles)... but overall, a fun weekend!

I'll be slowing down some on the challenge sites now... got to save some adventure for the rest of the summer!

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #7176
rockhopjohn
I LOVE Orogenies

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
Dang John, I never seen a cut like that cross wise. did you hit some obsidian? maybe an old beer bottle.
I still have no idea. I was just leaving Three Island Crossing State Park when I noticed it, and it was such a fast leak that it seems like it had to have occurred somewhere in the park, or immediately outside of it on my way in. Luckily I wasn't out in the middle of the Owyhees or something.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #7177
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer: 3,859
Phil and I were going to run the Wallowa ride early this year (before I have to start summer school), but his mother is having health issues, so he's SOL. So... Cole and I will head out tomorrow and run the Tracker instead. 4 days out with the boy will be a good time. It's not riding... but it's better than being home!

Sam, your thread is looking great! can't wait to read it all.

Hoping to get to Hat Point, but we'll have to see if it's melted off. The rest should be easy to get into, I hope....

ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #7178
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer: 653
First skink

Ever see one of these? I hadn't. Picked up a rock camping near Eagleson on the ridge and what looked like a bright blue snake squirmed away. Cool to see something different. Saw a lizard and some ants too, FWIW.

photo is copyright Terry Hibbitts (I didn't get a picture)
Old 06-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #7179
silverspurs
what's over there?

Toroweap Trip Report...

Hey Guys, I finally got off my butt and posted up a trip report for our ride down to Toroweap here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post21561434

it was a fun trip! if you get the chance to go, you won't be sorry!

silverspurs screwed with this post 06-04-2013 at 07:49 PM
Old 06-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #7180
rockhopjohn
I LOVE Orogenies

Decided yesterday that I needed to get out and hit some more IAMC Challenge Sites, I got all packed up this morning, and then decided to hop on the IAMC site to check a couple things. Low and behold, Silverspurs just posted a ride for this weekend to do these exact sites along the route I planned to take. So I had to decide whether I wanted to wait or not. Because of my work situation I am not sure I'd be around this weekend so I decided to go for it.

The first stop was Boiling Springs, north of Crouch. It was early in the day and there were a bunch of kids buzzing around on dirt bikes behind the gate, so I decided to move on. By the end of the day I could have used a soak in the springs.

Looks like camping is about 12 bucks a night, and an extra 5 bucks for each additional bike at the site, so if you head up to camp here make sure to bring some cash.

From here I took FR 600 over the ridge. It was steep, somewhat rutted with a fair number sections with sand and sharp curves, but it made for a fun ride. The new front tire was working WAY better, especially once I got the pressure right.

I ended up turning onto East Mountain Road (FR 417) which has great views of Cascade Lake and the valley. East Mountain Road eventually dumped me onto Clear Creek Road, finally hitting SR 55 at Clear Creek Station. I cut straight across SR 55 and headed towards the FAA Radar Site.

They keep the road up to the radar site in top notch condition, but it is only open to the general public from June 1st to November 15th. Today they were grading and dumping lots of new gravel on the road, which made for lots of soft spots that were less than awesome. But the views made up for it.

View to the west on the way up.

Panorama at the top.

View on the way back down looking at the south end of the Cascade Valley.

From here the Benchmark Map indicated that there would be a good way to cut across to Sage Hen Reservoir. I got about halfway there before the roads turned into a tangle of unmarked heavily rutted logging roads. I was able to eventually work my way over to the reservoir, but not before this happened.

I'd like to say there was a good story, but it had to do with an unlevel surface and trying to grab my cell phone.

So once I finally got on the right road, I hit the Sage Hen Meadow, which was absolutely beautiful today.

Finally made it down to the Reservoir. I was beautiful too, and there was tons of great camping.

View from the boat ramp.

From here I headed down to Sweet-Ola Road and hauled butt back to the house.

Anyway a great day and a bunch of places I might not have found otherwise without the IAMC.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #7181
silverspurs
what's over there?

Quote:
Decided yesterday that I needed to get out and hit some more IAMC Challenge Sites, I got all packed up this morning, and then decided to hop on the IAMC site to check a couple things. Low and behold, Silverspurs just posted a ride for this weekend to do these exact sites along the route I planned to take. So I had to decide whether I wanted to wait or not. Because of my work situation I am not sure I'd be around this weekend so I decided to go for it.

The first stop was Boiling Springs, north of Crouch. It was early in the day and there were a bunch of kids buzzing around on dirt bikes behind the gate, so I decided to move on. By the end of the day I could have used a soak in the springs.

Looks like camping is about 12 bucks a night, and an extra 5 bucks for each additional bike at the site, so if you head up to camp here make sure to bring some cash.

From here I took FR 600 over the ridge. It was steep, somewhat rutted with a fair number sections with sand and sharp curves, but it made for a fun ride. The new front tire was working WAY better, especially once I got the pressure right.

I ended up turning onto East Mountain Road (FR 417) which has great views of Cascade Lake and the valley. East Mountain Road eventually dumped me onto Clear Creek Road, finally hitting SR 55 at Clear Creek Station. I cut straight across SR 55 and headed towards the FAA Radar Site.

They keep the road up to the radar site in top notch condition, but it is only open to the general public from June 1st to November 15th. Today they were grading and dumping lots of new gravel on the road, which made for lots of soft spots that were less than awesome. But the views made up for it.

View to the west on the way up.

Panorama at the top.

View on the way back down looking at the south end of the Cascade Valley.

From here the Benchmark Map indicated that there would be a good way to cut across to Sage Hen Reservoir. I got about halfway there before the roads turned into a tangle of unmarked heavily rutted logging roads. I was able to eventually work my way over to the reservoir, but not before this happened.

I'd like to say there was a good story, but it had to do with an unlevel surface and trying to grab my cell phone.

So once I finally got on the right road, I hit the Sage Hen Meadow, which was absolutely beautiful today.

Finally made it down to the Reservoir. I was beautiful too, and there was tons of great camping.

View from the boat ramp.

From here I headed down to Sweet-Ola Road and hauled butt back to the house.

Anyway a great day and a bunch of places I might not have found otherwise without the IAMC.
Nice ride report!!... thanks for sharing!... if I don't get any takers for the ride, I might do it in one day also... we'll just have to see how that works out...
Old 06-05-2013, 06:27 AM   #7182
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
Quote:

That was a nice ride. Very scenic. I know what you're talken about on the roads from Snow Bank Mtn Rd (FAA site) via FR 421/645 to Sage Hen. On the map I thought no problem, on the road, not so much. Not only is it a tangled mess of interconnecting logging roads as you discovered, it's even hard to determine which one has the most traffic...and stay on it. If you have a route/track in a GPS no problem, but to follow a map, a little more challenging. A bear crossed the road just in front of me on my way back down too. Beautiful view of Blue Lake below Tripod Lookout too.

I also found geocaching takes me to places I might not have gone to. Some geocaches are at the same locations where the IAMC Challenge sites are too.

Been a few years since I've been to the FAA site, seeing your RR makes me want to ride up there again. Thanks for sharing.

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #7183
rockhopjohn
I LOVE Orogenies

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post
Not only is it a tangled mess of interconnecting logging roads as you discovered, it's even hard to determine which one has the most traffic...and stay on it.
Exactly. I had several situations where I would come to a clearing with 4 roads headed in each direction, and none of them looked likely they'd had any traffic in a couple of weeks. I had my hiking GPS with the 1:100k topo and a lot of the logging roads, and it was the only reason I was finally able to work my way back over to Cabarton High Valley Road, which eventually got me to the road to Sage Hen.

I too found a lot of awesome places through geocaching (I started Geocaching in FL in 2001 when there were fewer than 100 caches within a 100 mile radius of Orlando), I just got tired of sifting through all the chaff to find the wheat. That is what I love about the IAMC Challenge, it combines all the things I love about riding and geocaching, and none of the stuff I don't.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #7184
Gunga Galunga
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell View Post
Had a chance to get out Monday, and get some riding in before the rain started.

Looks like a safe place for me to take the girls riding, do you mind letting me in on roughly where that is if not secret. It gets a little crazy S. Cloverdale, prefer not a lot of other riders with them, no offense to anyone. I may have to get a couple flags too. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #7185
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
Crutcher Crossing

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote