ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #7411
rockhopjohn
I LOVE Orogenies

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Abbott View Post
Really nice. Great framing on your photos. I didn't know some of that stuff was out there. Does everyone have a Tiger now?
Thanks, my best friend who's a professional photographer taught me his two main rules of photography a while back. First the rule of thirds, and second, the three "F"s of photography, "Fill the F*cking Frame."

As for the Tiger, everyone should have one, they're the best all around bike I've ever ridden.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #7412
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer: 654
Highlight reel of five days in the Clearwater forest

Old 08-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #7413
rockhopjohn
I LOVE Orogenies

Quote:
Nice, those were some pretty legit trails for a KLR. Reminds me of my days learning to ride on a TW in MT. Great little trail bike until you have to go over something, or you got onto heavily rutted roads.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #7414
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhopjohn View Post
those were some pretty legit trails for a KLR
Nice way of putting it. They eventually mutinied. Backtracked after a long stretch to find them both under a shade tree with the drinks out. There's a flash of it in the highlights.

Quote:
Great little trail [TW200] bike until you have to go over something, or you got onto heavily rutted roads.
Exactly. Shifter and brake levers were both a bit mangled before the mutiny.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #7415
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,110
Quote:
Nice way of putting it. They eventually mutinied. Backtracked after a long stretch to find them both under a shade tree with the drinks out. There's a flash of it in the highlights.

Sometimes thats just what it takes to quit doing stupid.

Exactly. Shifter and brake levers were both a bit mangled before the mutiny.

Awesome! yet scary, Jason you have always impressed me with your skill set on the Panzer, but now on that 500...... Ohhhhhhh........ think I'll just stand back and watch.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #7416
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,110
Hello Boise and surrounding area. Well I just couldn't take it any more so I eased Moya out of the garage and rode out towards the training range and back little gravel thrown-in.

Well ankle starts aching especially after standing on the pegs, but the injury is subsiding every so slowly...... maybe it's time to start thinking of a Ural

Hopefully I'll see some of you out there before the snow flies man taking forever to heal.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #7417
liv2rydktms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,250
Yeehaw!

Quote:
I think I recognize some of those trails. Are they Weitas creek, Bear Butte (the one with the bridge) and the two track looks like the Clark Mtn lookout trail. We have ridden some of those on our KTM 525/450s and our 650X and LC4 640. Did you camp at Bungalows or Weitas Creek campground. I went to your photo album for more pics but couldn't find the album. If I'm wrong I'll be red faced, yet happy to reminisce of our goods times in the Clearwater area.

Thank for sharing!
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

liv2rydktms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #7418
liv2rydktms
Beastly Adventurer

Dang! Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
Hello Boise and surrounding area. Well I just couldn't take it any more so I eased Moya out of the garage and rode out towards the training range and back little gravel thrown-in.

Well ankle starts aching especially after standing on the pegs, but the injury is subsiding every so slowly...... maybe it's time to start thinking of a Ural

Hopefully I'll see some of you out there before the snow flies man taking forever to heal.
We were both hoping you were on the downhill side of your hiatus, take it easy maybe we'll share an IAMC campfire with you before the snow flies.
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

Old 08-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #7419
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2rydktms View Post
I think I recognize some of those trails. Are they Weitas creek, Bear Butte (the one with the bridge) and the two track looks like the Clark Mtn lookout trail.
You pretty much nailed it. We came off Hemlock Butte to the Larch Butte trail which about killed us (can't remember being that nervous on a trail). It did kill someone last year. It was dark by the time we got down to Weitas, all frazzled. The guard station host let us know Trail 20 to the North Fork was closed and had killed someone else a couple years before (more exposure) so maybe not the best to try.

Truth be told, on my bare XC-W, the trails wouldn't be bad. But my KLR brother fell off the trail three times I can remember on his loaded KLR as darkness fell and the wind was picking up. It was pretty crazy. He's lucky he didn't go off in the several spots that would really hurt you.

We went up toward Cook Mountain hoping to hit Windy Ridge down to Fourth of July but it was too much for the TW and KLR. They were scraping rocks badly on the single track that cuts up to the ridge. I ran ahead and flew off my bike in a surprise bog. So we went back around Bear Butte to Yoosa Creek where we camped.

We did end up going across the bridge and up Fourth of July trail from the North Fork side. Minor exposure to keep you honest. All quite wonderful on the KTM and TW but my KLR brother was less pleased.

I'll have pictures, longer video and the full tale someday shortly. I have piles of material to go through.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:09 PM   #7420
rockhopjohn
I LOVE Orogenies

Guess who has two thumbs and just finished up the 2013 IAMC Challenge, this guy!

Well on Friday I only had 4 IAMC challenge sites left to hit, and I knew that couldn't survive the weekend. So Saturday morning I headed out for SE Oregon to get this thing done.

I headed down to Murphy on Saturday morning and went over the top down into Jordan Valley.

An old building at a mining camp on the west side of New York Summit.

From Jordan Valley I slabbed down US95 to Whitehorse Road which would take me across the Alvord Desert to Fields

This would become a theme in this part of the country.

Things are pretty laid back in Fields, apparently its pretty common for planes to land on the road and taxi in for lunch.

I gassed up in Fields and headed north to hit the Steen's Mountain loop.

My first stop was the Riddle Brother's Historic Ranch. The really nice caretaker came out and gave me a great run down on the history of the place and then left me to explore.

After hitting Riddle Brothers' I headed up the "rooster comb" as the caretaker called it, the steep winding road that take you to the top of Steens.

Great views all along the way.

The next stop was the Kieger Gorge Overlook, quite the view. Also, those aren't your eyes deceiving you, that is snow on the left that's still survived to mid-August.

From here I headed down the road to find a campsite. I ended up finding a good one down at Fish Lake, but it was already occupied.

Fortunately the occupant didn't mind sharing, so I set up camp.

The next morning it was time to finish things off with a trip up to Peter French Round Barn. I look the gravel loop along Happy Valley Road.

The round barn is quite a site, and seems very well constructed.

From here I worked my way over to Crowley Road, which I planned to take me all the way up to Harper Junction on HWY 20. This turned out to be 90 miles of some of the most desolate gravel I've ever ridden. About halfway through I was having nightmares of a slashed tire.

Luckily everything worked out and with no issues despite long sections of loose rocks, baby heads, and large random pits of poof dust. I finally made it in to Harper Junction, and slabbed it back to Boise.

This made for a great end to the 2013 Challenge hopefully next year we'll be able to come up with another 44 great sites.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #7421
liv2rydktms
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You pretty much nailed it. We came off Hemlock Butte to the Larch Butte trail which about killed us (can't remember being that nervous on a trail). It did kill someone last year. It was dark by the time we got down to Weitas, all frazzled. The guard station host let us know Trail 20 to the North Fork was closed and had killed someone else a couple years before (more exposure) so maybe not the best to try.

Truth be told, on my bare XC-W, the trails wouldn't be bad. But my KLR brother fell off the trail three times I can remember on his loaded KLR as darkness fell and the wind was picking up. It was pretty crazy. He's lucky he didn't go off in the several spots that would really hurt you.

We went up toward Cook Mountain hoping to hit Windy Ridge down to Fourth of July but it was too much for the TW and KLR. They were scraping rocks badly on the single track that cuts up to the ridge. I ran ahead and flew off my bike in a surprise bog. So we went back around Bear Butte to Yoosa Creek where we camped.

We did end up going across the bridge and up Fourth of July trail from the North Fork side. Minor exposure to keep you honest. All quite wonderful on the KTM and TW but my KLR brother was less pleased.

I'll have pictures, longer video and the full tale someday shortly. I have piles of material to go through.
That country would suck on either a KLR or TW , I'm certain it was a dream on your bike. Yes there is some exposure, we have pulled bikes up from below two different years, one had gone clear to the water off trail 20. The girls plant themselves on the trail holding the bike with a tow strap wrapped around a rock or tree, while the guys boost it up meanwhile the girls pull up the slack everyone takes a breath it the process starts over again. luckily neither time was it Steep, Rocky's bikes, but it was our good friends though.

I will watch for your new submission, and I'll try to be patient.

Soo..... inquiring minds want to know, how are you getting by without all the goodies you carried on your GS.
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

liv2rydktms screwed with this post 08-18-2013 at 07:08 PM
Old 08-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #7422
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2rydktms View Post
how are you getting by without all the goodies you carried on your GS.
Ha ha. Well, downsized the tent and chair, filter more water instead of carry, whiskey instead of beer and that about does the trick. And of course gave up any room for a passenger. I did learn my fuel limits. More on that in the report.

Your pictures all came through as private FOTOTIME badges. I'm curious to see them.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #7423
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhopjohn View Post
This made for a great end to the 2013 Challenge hopefully next year we'll be able to come up with another 44 great sites.
Kudos to you, man. And nice images again to whet the appetite.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #7424
liv2rydktms
Beastly Adventurer

Uh-Oh

Quote:
Ha ha. Well, downsized the tent and chair, filter more water instead of carry, whiskey instead of beer and that about does the trick. And of course gave up any room for a passenger. I did learn my fuel limits. More on that in the report.

Your pictures all came through as private FOTOTIME badges. I'm curious to see them.
They posted last night when I finished, 650x fixed it, unfortunately we've had to enable privacy measures, since we post pics on the name location thread, and some ADVers are always looking for a short cut. 650x will pm you.
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

Old 08-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #7425
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

More Clearwater video

My brother is funnier than I am. My brother Joel put this together from our brother Jeremy's footage.