ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2007, 12:54 PM   #61
idahoskiguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,095
Sounds like a dirtbike ride to me; will see how the rest of my week shapes up before committing. Will watch here for time and day.
idahoskiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:08 PM   #62
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadingNorth
I would love to go. My Xl has a 140 mile range so no problem. IF you feel this ride is beyond my capability please say so.
Nah - you'll be fine on the XL.

Saturday, 10:00 am

How's that sound?

ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:10 PM   #63
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,108
Well, sounds like a sound plan, one that I would like to participate in however, I will not be avaliable Saturday as that is a family day for me (not to mention wifes B-Day) so I'll read about it next weekend I guess.

Not sure of the KTM's range but I would guess 70-90ish miles.

I think you'll have a good turn out.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:20 PM   #64
HeadingNorth
Keep On The Gas!!

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmma1969
Hmmm.... Not sure I can get a day pass 2 weekends in a row but I'll try.
Oh put your mind to it!!
Old 10-23-2007, 02:21 PM   #65
HeadingNorth
Keep On The Gas!!

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell
Saturday, 10:00 am

How's that sound?
Sounds an hour late. How about 8:30 for breakfast!
Old 10-23-2007, 03:29 PM   #66
BitBucket
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
This sounds very interesting. I think for that length of ride I would probably need the KLR. My nerf bars should be in this week and I already have bark busters. If HN is going then I can hang back with him and show him that it really is the bike that can keep up with RWC and not the rider.

I am going to have to get a read from the family to see if I can get away on Saturday. Or in other words check with my social director and see if I already have commitments on Saturday.

I'll check back in later.
BitBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:37 PM   #67
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitBucket
This sounds very interesting. I think for that length of ride I would probably need the KLR.
It'll do it - so long as you're comfortable on the bike - you may just be a little more tired at the end. That being said, there are always more than one route to the destination.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:56 PM   #68
MotoRogue
pLAys wELL wiTH oTheRs

Oddometer: 118
Love to join in on this off-course event, but have a 'pending' weekend ride to the City of Rocks. If that does not come together I would love to get lost with this amusing group ............I'll stay tuned for further details.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:04 PM   #69
JimE
KiLR650

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
10/27/07 Ride

I'm looking at taking a group of guys out this weekend, if anyone is interested.

We'll start at Hemmingway, and take moderate double and single track back to the road to Reynolds. From there, those not comfortable with deep sand can take the road, and meet those of use who will be running in the creek bed at Black Mt. Rd.

We'll take Black Mt. Rd. (which is Jeep trail) to Silver City.

Those who need to bail at Silver City (for lack of energy of lack of time), can hit the highway back to Hemmingway. Rest of us will 'connect the dots' on single and double track back to Hemminway from Silver City road - these trails get gnarly at times.

To do this trip in it's entirety, you'll need 6-8 hours, and a fuel range of 80 miles. So... plan ahead, and bring fuel if you need it.

I recommend bringing at least a front tube for your bike (which can be used as a rear in an emergency). I also highly recommend you bring a GPS, so that if you get seperated from the group (which rarely happens), you know your way back in an emergency. I'll pack the equipment for changing the tire - but you need to have the tube. I'll also pack a 1st aid kit. Bring water if you need it.

This will not be big bike friendly. A 650 single is as large as I'd recommend (A KLR would feel heavy, but can do it pending a competent rider). I'll be on my XT550 (115 lbs lighter than my KLR). That being said, a good 990 rider could do it - that's your call to make. A V-Strom will be miserable.

I'd like to do this on Saturday, but am flexible to Sunday if needed.

Chime in if you'd like to go.

Disclaimer - I'm 100% certain that we'll get lost at least once during this ride. This will be a figure-it-out-as-you-go ride. If you're not okay with that, don't go. I've ridden a lot in this area - but that are dozens of different ways to connect the trails, and lots of ways to get of course.
Ryan: I did this basic ride today before seeing your post. I did the "easy" route by taking pavement for first and last part of the loop (Renolds Creek Rd and Road back from Silver Creek.)

I would like to report that the top of Black Mountain Rd area still has quite a bit of mud and sections of snow covered roads which made it a bit challenging (as well as the rocky road conditions thrown in there as well) This was the first time I have done Black Mtn Rd so not sure if it is normally this rocky.

BUT the snow made for some awesome scenery and the KLR did fine. Agree that anything bigger would be a handful. Especially on the road back down from Silver City where there was still quite a bit of snow/ice on the road in the shade areas.

Total ride from Meridian was about 140 miles and took about 4.5 hours -- again, staying mainly to the pavement rd through Hemingway/Renolds creek area.

I would be up for doing this again with you guys since the scenery was so good and sounds like there would be some more dirt involved ...

Regards,
Jim
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:10 PM   #70
capt ed
Capt Ed

Oddometer: 527
busy Saturday

Sorry guys the bike will be in bits and parts on Saturday, getting some suspension up grades I think me and Heath may go test it sunday if he's up to it. ED
capt ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:16 AM   #71
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE
Ryan: I did this basic ride today before seeing your post. I did the "easy" route by taking pavement for first and last part of the loop (Renolds Creek Rd and Road back from Silver Creek.)

I would like to report that the top of Black Mountain Rd area still has quite a bit of mud and sections of snow covered roads which made it a bit challenging (as well as the rocky road conditions thrown in there as well) This was the first time I have done Black Mtn Rd so not sure if it is normally this rocky.

BUT the snow made for some awesome scenery and the KLR did fine. Agree that anything bigger would be a handful. Especially on the road back down from Silver City where there was still quite a bit of snow/ice on the road in the shade areas.

Total ride from Meridian was about 140 miles and took about 4.5 hours -- again, staying mainly to the pavement rd through Hemingway/Renolds creek area.

I would be up for doing this again with you guys since the scenery was so good and sounds like there would be some more dirt involved ...

Regards,
Jim
Thanks, Jim - that's good info to pass along.

If Black Mt Rd seems to be too slick, we can take the route that's further east of that - Slate Mt(?), and stay out of the snow line. It's a more technical route though, and a 650 feels real top heavy in it...

Old 10-24-2007, 12:30 PM   #72
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

If gas is an issue for anyone, I can carry extra fuel. I'm considering taking hte KLR instead of the XT to test out some new luggage. If I take the KLR, I can easily take extra fuel, and let you swipe it out of my 5.5 gal tank (I carry a hose for just such occasions).

I recommend you take the lightest bike you've got... so if it's just fuel that's the concern... I'll pack extra for the group. I can get my KLR most anywhere, and would rather those with the lighter bikes, are one them, so they're having a good time and aren't concerned with the weight of a bigger bike in the tight places.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:43 PM   #73
BitBucket
Adventurer

Quote:
I recommend you take the lightest bike you've got...
PW80 ????
Old 10-24-2007, 02:58 PM   #74
BitBucket
Adventurer

Sorry 'bout that... I'll just go back to lurking now.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:13 PM   #75
cbmma1969
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitBucket
PW80 ????
I loved it.... Wonder how often Ryan wants to stop for refueling?
The traveler is active; he goes strenuously in search of people, of adventure, or experience. The tourist is passive; he expects interesting things to happen to him. DANIEL J. BOORSTIN, attributed, Voyages of Discover
cbmma1969 is offline   Reply With Quote