ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #7726
dave186
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Merry Christmas everyone. The snow hasn't stopped me. Put some screws in my tires and keep on truckin. Pic from today.
dave186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #7727
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave186 View Post
Put some screws in my tires and keep on truckin.
Nice! I need to warm up the garage so I can pop a new tire on and get out there myself.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #7728
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhopjohn View Post
Luckily I have hands the size of a 10 yo girl, and they had Mediums a plenty.
Just to help close this loop, I ordered some mediums on my own. I don't have small hands but I like a snug fit so I can press camera buttons. They're a little snug around the middle of my hand not bad and the finger lengths are just right. Pretty amazing deal if they're really made of the advertised materials. Time will tell.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #7729
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
20% off and free shipping right now.
I got some mediums too, they fit OK, fingers are a little long.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #7730
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,024
Since this is the new glove thread I should mention their site is messed up, all sizes in stock right now if you call. $14 shipped.

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #7731
FoolHardy
Still Inky

Oddometer: 535
My gloves arrived on Christmas eve, I've been wearing them while I build a fort for the kids out of ice blocks and so far I'm very happy with them. Thumbs are a tad long, but other than that they fit me great.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go" - T.S. Elliot
FoolHardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:21 PM   #7732
daxm
Gnarly Adventurer

What's going on 2014?

I essentially spaced 2013. :-(

I am starting to think of the 2014 riding season and wondering if people know of anything cool going on I should be aware of. I've really enjoyed the IAMC Challenges that I've participated in but I've heard they aren't focusing in on those as much anymore :-(

Any grey beards out here have a "must see" list of places to go to in, say, a 500 mile radius?
Old 01-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #7733
WhiskeySierra
Day L8, $1 Short

Oddometer: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxm View Post
I essentially spaced 2013. :-(

I am starting to think of the 2014 riding season and wondering if people know of anything cool going on I should be aware of. I've really enjoyed the IAMC Challenges that I've participated in but I've heard they aren't focusing in on those as much anymore :-(

Any grey beards out here have a "must see" list of places to go to in, say, a 500 mile radius?
Here ya go Dax! http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=931730 See post #45. All the events in this thread will be "cool".
WhiskeySierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:11 PM   #7734
brinboise
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=daxm;23161346]I've really enjoyed the IAMC Challenges that I've participated in but I've heard they aren't focusing in on those as much anymore :-(
I do not believe the IAMC has any focus recently
Every day I open their site hoping to see some new posts, pics or updates....but so little activity, I move on. There has not been a newsletter for 6 months, no monthly meetings, the homepage still shows the results of the 2011 challenge, (what happened to 2012) and little overall participation by members or club officers. Noted on the site "please explore our website and learn the great things IAMC has to offer". I find it hard to believe that many potential members would be drawn to becoming a member by the website or riders from other areas be encouraged to come to the state by what they see on the website. Alot or maybe most of the idealistic goals set by the original framers of the club have gone by the wayside!
After 50 years of motorcycling I seldom get to ride as I am battling a creeping disability and as time goes by more and more of my riding is done thru the web. I still have the passion for a sport that I have long been involved in for so many years, but I do feel sad that all the effort that went into building a club by other passionate motorcycle people seems to be waning. I look at the list of "our members" of whom most appear to be 'previous members' I think perhaps they have also seen what I am seeing and drifted away from IAMC. I have posted questions for the officers, e-mailed them from their links and tried to contact the club in general with no response-WTF, I do hope that the future brings a renewed effort to revitalize the club.
Sorry, rant over, flame on
Old 01-07-2014, 06:27 PM   #7735
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,110
[QUOTE=brinboise;23161756]
Quote:
I've really enjoyed the IAMC Challenges that I've participated in but I've heard they aren't focusing in on those as much anymore :-(
I do not believe the IAMC has any focus recently
Every day I open their site hoping to see some new posts, pics or updates....but so little activity, I move on. There has not been a newsletter for 6 months, no monthly meetings, the homepage still shows the results of the 2011 challenge, (what happened to 2012) and little overall participation by members or club officers. Noted on the site "please explore our website and learn the great things IAMC has to offer". I find it hard to believe that many potential members would be drawn to becoming a member by the website or riders from other areas be encouraged to come to the state by what they see on the website. Alot or maybe most of the idealistic goals set by the original framers of the club have gone by the wayside!
After 50 years of motorcycling I seldom get to ride as I am battling a creeping disability and as time goes by more and more of my riding is done thru the web. I still have the passion for a sport that I have long been involved in for so many years, but I do feel sad that all the effort that went into building a club by other passionate motorcycle people seems to be waning. I look at the list of "our members" of whom most appear to be 'previous members' I think perhaps they have also seen what I am seeing and drifted away from IAMC. I have posted questions for the officers, e-mailed them from their links and tried to contact the club in general with no response-WTF, I do hope that the future brings a renewed effort to revitalize the club.
Sorry, rant over, flame on

Hello and Happy New Year BrinBoise. You sir, have brought up a great local question. I as a very active member... no-no, belay that... I use to be very active. I put up several rides early this year, and had pretty good participation many of which can be found here on ADV.

So let me attempt to address some of your statements

Every day I open their site hoping to see some new posts, pics or updates....but so little activity

I assure you, your not the only one as do I. I normally have had rides I posted but this year I have injured myself which required extensive off bike time. I did notice a couple of folks put up some short notice impromptu rides with no resolute, so I believe they too threw in the towel.

The club was always intended to be a social rendezvous point for the Dual sport oriented riders in the area. I believe in the beginning it came together quite well with much enthusiasm and fanfare, and proliferated for several years. That said, here is where I think the unraveling began (my subjective opinion). As the club grew with the many members of various skill sets and individual ideologies, so came expectations. There are those who just want to ride like a banshee, and not saying that's a bad thing. Some want to explore and visit old sites, which of course, leads to another aspect... some want to ride slow, as in poking along. Some have expectations of riding from first light to setting up camp by flashlight to maximize their allocated weekend time. So, as time has progressed I believe through the site IAMC it has fragmented into like minded skill-set groups, whom no longer have the desire or need for the club. I know of many have riding partners that call each other to do rides.

Now, As one who has lead many a ride over the years I can never create a perfect ride for everyone; you know the preverbal "can't please all the people all the time" but I truly tried. I will admit right here that what sort broke my back was my last ride the Annual Hells Canyon Loop in june. Which I did while in extreme pain from my injury, but I did it. I received numerous complaints about the weather, as if I can control that. rate of the pace "too fast" "to slow" "it's cold"....... it's a friggn motorcycle ADVENTURE ride! That broke me. So, I have stepped back.

Putting on an event as in planning, plotting, routing, logistics and yes leading a ride takes an immense amount of time and effort, all Pro Bono; just for the love of camaraderie.

I so want the club to succeed as it is a wonderful way to meet people, to share information, converse about our passions and to discover Idaho and all those magical surrounding wonders that was the original purpose of the Challenge... to give folks a weekend destination.

Ed and I and a couple others took and became off road certified instructors with the Idaho Parks and Rec in order to help new riders build confidence we had 2 classes and no other interest.

Well to summarize, I love the sport of bike riding and sharing the wonders Idaho has to offer off the beaten path, but in all honesty I believe club members have partitioned off into like minded riding styles.

There has not been a newsletter for 6 months

Very true, but be advised with no active club events there is nothing to report (write) Craig Olsen has done a Wonderful job as the editor and always ask for someone to submit an article. You may have notice he has written many articles himself. But in his defense he has been traveling out of country with his better half most of this year.

I will step off my Soap Box now. but I hope this answered some questions.

I am still thinking of doing the Rail-Road ride again in May I may post it.

IdahoSam.... OUT

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:52 PM   #7736
silverspurs
what's over there?

Oddometer: 819
[QUOTE=Idahosam;23162861]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinboise View Post

Hello and Happy New Year BrinBoise. You sir, have brought up a great local question. I as a very active member... no-no, belay that... I use to be very active. I put up several rides early this year, and had pretty good participation many of which can be found here on ADV.

Every day I open their site hoping to see some new posts, pics or updates....but so little activity

I assure you, your not the only one as do I. I normally have had rides I posted but this year I have injured myself which required extensive off bike time. I did notice a couple of folks put up some short notice impromptu rides with no resolute, so I believe they too threw in the towel.

The club was always intended to be a social rendezvous point for the Dual sport oriented riders in the area. I believe in the beginning it came together quite well with much enthusiasm and fanfare, and proliferated for several years. That said, here is where I think the unraveling began (my subjective opinion). As the club grew with the many members of various skill sets and individual ideologies, so came expectations. There are those who just want to ride like a banshee, and not saying that's a bad thing. Some want to explore and visit old sites, which of course, leads to another aspect... some want to ride slow, as in poking along. Some have expectations of riding from first light to setting up camp by flashlight to maximize their allocated weekend time. So, as time has progressed I believe through the site IAMC it has fragmented into like minded skill-set groups, whom no longer have the desire or need for the club. I know of many have riding partners that call each other to do rides.

Now, As one who has lead many a ride over the years I can never create a perfect ride for everyone; you know the preverbal "can't please all the people all the time" but I truly tried. I will admit right here that what sort broke my back was my last ride the Annual Hells Canyon Loop in june. Which I did while in extreme pain from my injury, but I did it. I received numerous complaints about the weather, as if I can control that. rate of the pace "too fast" "to slow" "it's cold"....... it's a friggn motorcycle ADVENTURE ride! That broke me. So, I have stepped back.

Putting on an event as in planning, plotting, routing, logistics and yes leading a ride takes an immense amount of time and effort, all Pro Bono; just for the love of camaraderie.

I so want the club to succeed as it is a wonderful way to meet people, to share information, converse about our passions and to discover Idaho and all those magical surrounding wonders that was the original purpose of the Challenge... to give folks a weekend destination.

Ed and I and a couple others took and became off road certified instructors with the Idaho Parks and Rec in order to help new riders build confidence we had 2 classes and no other interest.

Well to summarize, I love the sport of bike riding and sharing the wonders Idaho has to offer off the beaten path, but in all honesty I believe club members have partitioned off into like minded riding styles.

Very true, but be advised with no active club events there is nothing to report (write) Craig Olsen has done a Wonderful job as the editor and always ask for someone to submit an article. You may have notice he has written many articles himself. But in his defense he has been traveling out of country with his better half most of this year.

IdahoSam.... OUT

good post Sam... being a club leader can be a lot of work (been there several times before)... also, stuff happens and life happens... things change.

I do have two questions for you if you are able to respond;

1) do you know if there is going to be a 2013 challenge awards dinner?

2) do you know if there is any plan to have a 2014 Challenge?

I appreciate all you do... and hope your healing well...
thanks... rick

Yamaha 1200 Super Tenere, KTM 525exc, Yamaha TW 200
silverspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:21 PM   #7737
daxm
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post

IdahoSam.... OUT
I certainly didn't mean to start a flame war over this and I want you, Sam, and everyone else who put effort into IAMC to know that I REALLY loved what you did there. Though I'm an Idaho native I have been woefully neglectful in adventuring out and seeing this great state! I have always put work ahead of play and now I pay the price by being ignorant of the really awesome sites all around me.

I do agree that some people get bent out of shape when their riding expectations aren't met (whether that be of the other riders, the weather, or the trail). However I don't think that ends in a deal breaker for having IAMC. Though an active group needs members, the group really consists of a core set of people. I fear that the IAMC group is slipping because the core team is tired, bored, busy, or otherwise not exerting energy into the group. This doesn't let us leeches off the hook though! We need to be more supportive (and less bitchy).

For my part I'd love to help with what I can. I know I've been a flake this last year but the year prior I was gun-ho! I'll try to do more this year. One thing I can help with is the web site. (Yes, having 3 year old content on the homepage doesn't not bode well for the recruitment of members.)

So, what can we all do individually such that collectively we all get something out of it?
  • BrinBoise, with your 50 years of riding you have to have a good spot or two (or 3 or 50) that you could suggest as riding destinations and/or loops.
  • IdahoSam, ditto to you but also maybe you can help Ed and the core team be revitalized in the group.
  • JasonAbbott, maybe you can teach us some of your amazing skills that allowed you to surmount Boulder Basin (and those awesome photo skills you have).
  • As I mentioned before, I can help with IT technical things and as a support person on some of the rides. (Almost all of the time I don't mind riding sweep.)

Not trying to command people around. Just making suggestions so that we all can get off our asses and ... well ... sit on our bikes while riding in the beautiful countryside.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #7738
daxm
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspurs View Post
2) do you know if there is any plan to have a 2014 Challenge?
Silverspurs, I loved riding with you! You not only had awesome ideas on where to ride you had great historical anecdotes about the areas we visited. You too could build some stellar rides. (I wouldn't mind going back to YellowPine this year.)
Old 01-07-2014, 07:38 PM   #7739
silverspurs
what's over there?

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Silverspurs, I loved riding with you! You not only had awesome ideas on where to ride you had great historical anecdotes about the areas we visited. You too could build some stellar rides. (I wouldn't mind going back to YellowPine this year.)

Your on Dax!!... glad to see your going to be able to get out there more this year!!

I did submit a list of sites for a 2014 challenge this year that favors medium size bikes (400 to 900 class)... (and crazy big bike riders like you and Jason! )

last years challenge favored the bigger bikes, (but I think it put off the medium size bike riders). We'll just have to see if the challenge continues or not...

Sam, Ed and Craig; I am also willing to help, just let me know what you need...

Yamaha 1200 Super Tenere, KTM 525exc, Yamaha TW 200
silverspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:04 PM   #7740
WhichWayNow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Hell's Canyon

Sam, I for one had a great time on the ride from Hell to Hell's Canyon.

Sure the weather beat us up pretty badly and it's hard not to comment about it when it's happening. That doesn't mean that it was your fault at all. To me, the adversity was part of the fun. We all pulled together, pulled out the credit cards and found warm dry lodging. In my view that ride was a total success despite all of the challenges.

I really appreciate the time and effort that you put into rides and posting them for others to join in. Illegitimi non Carborundum!

As for the IAMC, it's obvious that club and the web site have stalled out a bit. I know that there was a lot of work being done by a very small group of people and that can result in burn out.

It may be time for the club to be re-chartered or something. It's definitely been an asset to the local community. Maybe we as a group can come up with a concept that preserves the value while reducing the work required.
WhichWayNow is offline   Reply With Quote