ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2014, 11:31 AM   #7891
junglemototours
trailplug

Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbundy View Post
My business is in my tag line.
Tell me about the single track, is it true what I hear?
would I lie to you?
some of the best, 3 months a year.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:19 PM   #7892
FoolHardy
Still Inky

Oddometer: 544
Made it out to the hotsprings past the boat ramp at Leslie Gulch on Sunday. I was with a couple of friends on their quads, they unloaded where you turn off hwy95 onto McBride rd. The road was in great shape, but there lots of people out in Leslie Gulch. The water level at the reservoir is still low so the trail is open to the springs. The hot spring was clean, the weather fantastic, and somehow we had the place to ourselves. After a quick dip and a bite to eat we headed out, just as another group showed up. I wanted to show my friends Succor Creek campground on the way back, but they were afraid they didn't have enough gas for the extra 10 miles there and the 10 miles back. Its only a 60 mile round trip + 20 if you include the side trip to the campground. They must get pretty sad fuel mileage, maybe it just feels like a lot further when you never pass 35mph After they loaded up, I went back to Succor Creek rd and took it north past the campground to hwy 201, followed it to Adrian, hwy19 to Parma, then Pearl rd to Sand Hollow, and slabbed it back to Caldwell. In all a great day for a ride

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go" - T.S. Elliot
FoolHardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #7893
silverspurs
what's over there?

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolHardy View Post
Made it out to the hotsprings past the boat ramp at Leslie Gulch on Sunday. I was with a couple of friends on their quads, they unloaded where you turn off hwy95 onto McBride rd. The road was in great shape, but there lots of people out in Leslie Gulch. The water level at the reservoir is still low so the trail is open to the springs. The hot spring was clean, the weather fantastic, and somehow we had the place to ourselves. After a quick dip and a bite to eat we headed out, just as another group showed up. I wanted to show my friends Succor Creek campground on the way back, but they were afraid they didn't have enough gas for the extra 10 miles there and the 10 miles back. Its only a 60 mile round trip + 20 if you include the side trip to the campground. They must get pretty sad fuel mileage, maybe it just feels like a lot further when you never pass 35mph After they loaded up, I went back to Succor Creek rd and took it north past the campground to hwy 201, followed it to Adrian, hwy19 to Parma, then Pearl rd to Sand Hollow, and slabbed it back to Caldwell. In all a great day for a ride
I've always wanted to get down to that HS... do you simply ride down the beach from the boat ramp at low water to get there?? how far is it? thanks!

Yamaha 1200 Super Tenere, KTM 525exc, Yamaha TW 200
silverspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:05 PM   #7894
BeemerBOI
Dirt n00b

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4r22mny View Post
OK, I read your post again. When you come down Slide Gulch (Long Gulch) you hit what is normally called the Middle Fork of the Boise, the North Fork is in there, it joins the Middle Fork quite a ways above Slide Gulch, at Trout Creek.

Don't think you got over to the North Fork itself. I think you would have fought a lot of snow. Sorry, kinda makes my other question moot.

4r
I probably should have just called it FS-213. Google maps shows it as both the North Fork Rd. & Middle Fork Rd, which is a bit odd since it's the Middle Fork of the Boise.

No. I did not go over the North Fork Rd. itself to Hwy. 21. I know its way too early to head up in that direction. I got a couple of photos, but no photo site yet. They show quite a bit of snow, and not far above me in a couple of places. A co-worker asked why I didn't just bail out on Cottonwood / Thorn Creek, but mentioned they thought that there was a bridge out. I could not find anything out about the bridge being out, but I think that portions of the Thorn Creek road is up around 4500-5000 feet, and probably still snowed in once you start dropping down into the shade.

I might go check out Thorn Creek side on Wednesday after work since it's so close. I might not get through, but at least that way there's a 100% chance of getting out of mowing the lawn.

Alvord or Bust
BeemerBOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:06 PM   #7895
FoolHardy
Still Inky

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspurs View Post
I've always wanted to get down to that HS... do you simply ride down the beach from the boat ramp at low water to get there?? how far is it? thanks!
Yep just turn left at the end of the ramp and follow the trail for about four miles. There are a couple of steep and loose spots that are a bit tricky but 95% of the trail is flat and easy two track. Once you get to a gate, you have arrived. The hot spring is invisible from the trail, but is only about 30 feet away.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go" - T.S. Elliot
FoolHardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:39 PM   #7896
silverspurs
what's over there?

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolHardy View Post
Yep just turn left at the end of the ramp and follow the trail for about four miles. There are a couple of steep and loose spots that are a bit tricky but 95% of the trail is flat and easy two track. Once you get to a gate, you have arrived. The hot spring is invisible from the trail, but is only about 30 feet away.
thanks for the info Mike

Yamaha 1200 Super Tenere, KTM 525exc, Yamaha TW 200
silverspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:53 PM   #7897
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer: 659
Solo ride to Little Jacks Creek and Oreana

A good time was had by all.

http://www.trailimage.com/oreana-and-little-jacks-creek
Old 03-23-2014, 05:41 PM   #7898
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Abbott View Post
Birthday cake?
Yours?

Thanks for the ride along
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #7899
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Abbott View Post
You, as I hope everyone knows, it is against the law to ride off marked road or trail in Owyhee county.

http://www.stayontrails.com/where-to...+Owyhee+County

I love riding off road, and want to keep doing it for as long as I possibly can. Great photography and story writing as always Jason.
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:59 PM   #7900
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbh40a View Post
You, as I hope everyone knows, it is against the law to ride off marked road or trail in Owyhee county.
Obviously in the wilderness areas, yes, but I didn't realize the whole county was restricted. I guess that's from this provision of the Owyhee Initiative:

Quote:
Until the BLM has completed travel planning in Owyhee County, all recreational motorized and mechanized off-highway vehicle, and mountain bike use will be limited to existing roads and trails, and off-trail cross-country travel is prohibited, except in areas specifically identified as open or closed or limited to designated routes by the Owyhee Resource Management Plan.
Good to know. I have adjusted my report to include that provision and clarify my "cross-country" travels as efforts to follow the routes of faded but "existing" trails. Which is true. Thanks for the info.

Jason Abbott screwed with this post 03-23-2014 at 08:19 PM
Jason Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:03 PM   #7901
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Birthday cake?
Yours?
Yes. Ides of March.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:20 AM   #7902
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbundy View Post
My business is in my tag line.
Tell me about the single track, is it true what I hear?
FYI, there's another seat company (Fisher's) in Eagle, not sure if they're big competition for you but just a data point. That said I can recommend the area. Also I would call the winters here mild, the inversion sucks but when that's not around it's typically doable to ride year round and the snow doesn't stick around for too long when it falls.

Unrelated to the above, I need a set of tubeless tires mounted/balanced, the Pilot Roads on my Strom are still plenty serviceable but I've got a long trip coming up in April that I don't want to lug tires on. I've already got the K60's, can someone recommend a reasonable place to mount them up? Thanks!

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:25 AM   #7903
daxm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboarder View Post
Unrelated to the above, I need a set of tubeless tires mounted/balanced, the Pilot Roads on my Strom are still plenty serviceable but I've got a long trip coming up in April that I don't want to lug tires on. I've already got the K60's, can someone recommend a reasonable place to mount them up? Thanks!
I *think* Happy Trails will mount them for something like $25/mount.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:04 AM   #7904
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboarder View Post
Any other recommendations? HT didn't get back to me but Carl's quoted me ~$21/wheel off the bike so they're winning right now.

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:25 PM   #7905
effensteve
Enjoying the ride

Oddometer: 630
It's only 10 bucks at MG moto in Ontario
effensteve is offline   Reply With Quote