ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2007, 08:36 PM   #91
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer: 3,859
Pics from this weekend...

We met up at Denny's in the morning for some chow before we left.

Here's Phil giving you his better side.

This was originally more of a n00b invite - but since no n00bs showed up, I changed the route a bit, to include some more nasty terrain.

Allgonoshow, JimE, HeadingNorth, and myself head out. Phil is on his XL600,
I'm on the loaded KLR650, Jim is running light on his KLR, and Chris is on the KTM.

We went out Hemmingway, and went the back way into Slate Mt. Road. No pavement required. Here we are cutting across some single track (about 12-18'' wide) to get to our trail.

Yes - this is every bit as steep as it looks. I'd say it's about a 70 degree angle for part of this drop - very steep for the brief drop. Phil handled it well, dispite his unimpressed look I could see through the helmet.

After riding a river bed for a couple miles (yes, a deep sand river bed ) we came to Slate Mt. Rd.

The scenes were very nice. Fall colors were out in the high country, and the trail was fantastic. I was trying out some new hard luggage on my bike this weekend, and it took the beating of the trail much better than I anticipated.

I 'mentioned' to Phil that the trail would get rocky, but I'm sure he will tell you that I under-explained just how rocky it was going to get.

Chris cookin' it down the trail - which happened to be the stream.

JimE

Phil

Loose, deep, rock.

Hmmm.... I better make sure everyone gets up this safely.

Yep - all is well.

JimE flyin' up it.

After some intense terrain, we stoped for a break. Phil rolled off his bike, and slid into a mild coma. We rested for a while, and then took off for Silver City. Here we are sat some cabins that have been abandoned.

All ride long, Chris was harrasing Phil, encouraging him to fly over the handlebars so we could get a great shot of Phil doing a face plant. Ironically, Chris stalled it climinging a rock, and dropped his KTM 4 feet to the ground.

We parted ways with Chris at the Silver City junction, and JimE, HN, and I went up to Silver City via the old Murphy Rd (trail).

We hussled up there, and hung out in Silver City long enough to grab a snack, and head back to Murphy via Rabbit Creek Rd. We then hopped on the freeway and headed back. Total ride was around 110 miles, and took about 7 hrs. Good day.

ryanwilliamcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:44 PM   #92
capt ed
Capt Ed

Oddometer: 527
Great looking ride RWC

Ryan looks like you guys had a ball, Phill is getting to be a pretty good rider he will be ready for a new thumper by next spring I bet.
capt ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:51 PM   #93
HeadingNorth
Keep On The Gas!!

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt ed
Ryan looks like you guys had a ball, Phill is getting to be a pretty good rider he will be ready for a new thumper by next spring I bet.
You would be correct. Just can't decide which one??

Every ride with RWC is memorable one way or another.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:07 PM   #94
Owyhee
Ran when parked

Oddometer: 508
First post!

I've been lurking for a year or three and decided to finally post something. I ride Notorious P.I.G., my deserted-out '99 XR600 with plate but not street legal.

I'm interested in tagging along on a pavement-free ride or at least a police-tolerant-of-dirtbikes-on-street (Idaho City) type of ride in late November and late December if such a thing exists.

Danke.

"O"
Owyhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:55 PM   #95
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owyhee
First post!

I've been lurking for a year or three and decided to finally post something. I ride Notorious P.I.G., my deserted-out '99 XR600 with plate but not street legal.

I'm interested in tagging along on a pavement-free ride or at least a police-tolerant-of-dirtbikes-on-street (Idaho City) type of ride in late November and late December if such a thing exists.

Danke.

"O"
Owyhee - love the username.

We ride at least a couple weekends every month.

Lately, we've been hitting Hemminway and working our way out from there.

We'll be riding the Owyhee's all winter, so just keep an eye out in the PNW for rides, and jump in on one that's all offroad.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:56 PM   #96
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Quote:
I don't know - that XL600 suits him well!

It sits lower than most newer bikes, but still has the torque of the 600. I'd almost say that he'd do well with an overhaul to it's engine and keep it for a while.

I think the newer 650's would be too top-heavy, and the newer 400's sit higher...

The more I ride my XT550, the more I question why they aren't still imported... I'm getting to be very fond of it, and can see why Phil likes his managable (sp?) XL600.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:32 AM   #97
capt ed
Capt Ed

Oddometer: 527
My Dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadingNorth
You would be correct. Just can't decide which one??

Every ride with RWC is memorable one way or another.
Phil when I get my bike back together and my back back together I will let you try it out, for us inseam challanged folks htey work out good.
capt ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:37 AM   #98
HeadingNorth
Keep On The Gas!!

Quote:
Phil when I get my bike back together and my back back together I will let you try it out, for us inseam challanged folks htey work out good.
That would be great Ed. I'll buy breakfast!!! I really like the DR setup and I'm a Suzuki guy anyway.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:50 AM   #99
Owyhee
Ran when parked

Oddometer: 508
Ride 8 or 9 NOV

Anyone interested in coming out for some fun? My friend is flying up from Flagstaff that weekend for a bit of a ride. He's been off bikes for 7 years so we'll be moving at a medium pace and he'll be riding my XR200 (...for sale...pregnant wife=no ride).

Where and when we will ride is weather-dependent but is most likey staging from Rabbit Creek so we can snag lunch at the Murphy Store.

Rocks, sand, whoops = bad

"O"
Owyhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:21 AM   #100
HeadingNorth
Keep On The Gas!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell
I don't know - that XL600 suits him well!

It sits lower than most newer bikes, but still has the torque of the 600. I'd almost say that he'd do well with an overhaul to it's engine and keep it for a while.
Looks like you are looking for a job.......
Old 10-30-2007, 10:01 AM   #101
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Quote:
Ed,

Does a DR 'feel' lighter than the KLR without all that top-heavy weight?

I've only riden the DR650 once, and that was with Kyle spooning me, and both our gear. So, that experiance doesn't count.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:28 PM   #102
Heath
Coke-The choice of Angels

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell
Ed,

Does a DR 'feel' lighter than the KLR without all that top-heavy weight?

I've only riden the DR650 once, and that was with Kyle spooning me, and both our gear. So, that experiance doesn't count.
Based on my experience (which, sadly, was one up), they're significantly less top heavy than the KLR and a bit lighter than my XR ~ Even though the DR and the XR have a similar design, the Piggy's problem lies in its overall height... which isn't an issue for the DR since it's made specifically for midgets and women. Pick your choice, DR riders

So, hey, when are we gonna get a (small) war party together and attack the Beef Trail?
Old 10-30-2007, 02:44 PM   #103
BitBucket
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Darn it all!!!! That looks like my kind of ride. I really am bummed I missed it. But, I had to stay home and take care of the family unit and score points for the next ride. I'm still waiting on the nerf bars from HT but, when they come in I'll be ready to "ride it like I stole it!!!". Or in other words keep up with RWC.

I did actually get to ride some dirt on the KLR this weekend. My neighbor who is recovering from a heart attack decided he wanted to go for a dirt bike ride. He is loading up his bike as I get home from church. He tells my wife that he is going by himself and my wife volunteers me to go with him to make sure he's safe. What a woman. Good thing I went along. We went out to Pleasant Valley so he could take it easy and we get about as far from the truck as you can and his bike dies. No spark, Nothin'. We tear the whole thing down and tried 3 plugs. You name it we tried it. Luckily a guy comes buy on a 4-wheeler and offers to go all the way back to his truck and get a rope. He went well out of his way to help us and it was appreciated. I went out that night and bought some nylon rope for the backpack for the next time I go with him I'll be able to tow him in with the KLR.

Anyway, the KLR is doing great in the dirt since the suspension mod's and new tires. Looking forward to some rides like this one to really test it out. I'll be out of town the next 2 weekends but, hopefully when I get back the weather will allow some more adventure in the desert.
BitBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:57 PM   #104
ryanwilliamcantrell OP
Get Out and Ride!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath
Based on my experience (which, sadly, was one up), they're significantly less top heavy than the KLR and a bit lighter than my XR ~ Even though the DR and the XR have a similar design, the Piggy's problem lies in its overall height... which isn't an issue for the DR since it's made specifically for midgets and women. Pick your choice, DR riders

So, hey, when are we gonna get a (small) war party together and attack the Beef Trail?
Weekend after next? I'll pull the cans off, get the nerf welded, and we'll be ready to roll.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:36 PM   #105
Allgo
No Whammy,No Whammy,STOP!

Oddometer: 1,051
You ever take that thing off any sweet jumps........?

After Ryan's first pic of Phil in the parking lot at Denny's I thought it wasn't really necessary to say any more but after I saw the pic of me, post-rollover with Phil trying to highside me over onto him as I roll my bike back down the boulder pile (it's MUCH worse than it looks in the picture), I thought this was in order.

This is when Ryan did a sweet pop-a-wheelie. An interesting side note, we did not run out of ammo on this trip. Thanks Ryan !

Jim did a sweet jump at his point but he was too fast to be captured by my lens.

Phil does the uphill power waddle (don't try at home).

Later, Phil was able to POWER his way over seemingly impassable terrain using the technique know as "More Throttle". Kudos Phil !

Great ride guys ! Sorry I had to ditch early- church callings and what not.
Allgo is offline   Reply With Quote