Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012, 06:37 AM   #241
scottie boy
Homebrew Guru

Oddometer: 1,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
Oh, what a great ideas! I would have never thought of doing any of those things had you not suggested them.

Anything else I should know about riding my bike? Maybe I should check the air in my tires every now and then? I'll bet it's a good idea to change the oil in them periodically, too?

It wasn't "operator error".
Why all the anger? This isn't Jo momma.
scottie boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:38 AM   #242
birdie_xx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux
Oh, what a great ideas! I would have never thought of doing any of those things had you not suggested them.

Anything else I should know about riding my bike? Maybe I should check the air in my tires every now and then? I'll bet it's a good idea to change the oil in them periodically, too?

It wasn't "operator error".
Not sure what to tell you then...
Have you had any kind of support under the stands when your bike fell ?

One of my bikes fell over once, only because my coworker moved it, didn't extend the side stand all the way and it folded.

Cheers,
birdie_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #243
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie_xx View Post
Not sure what to tell you then...
Have you had any kind of support under the stands when your bike fell ?

One of my bikes fell over once, only because my coworker moved it, didn't extend the side stand all the way and it folded.

Cheers,

Seriously. I'm not troubleshooting, here. One time the side stand actually pushed a hole in the crushed can I was using. One time it was on the center stand, it rained all f'n night, the ground got extremely soft, and mine and some other bikes fell over.

You asked if a bike has fallen over on its own. It has. Does it happen a lot? No. Has it happened enough that I miiight give it a second thought about about parking it right next to my tent? Sure. Am I actually worried about it? No. Dumb, random shit happens.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:44 AM   #244
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
Why all the anger? This isn't Jo momma.
No anger at all. I really appreciate the advice.

I just can't believe in all the decades I've been riding motorcycles it never once occurred to me check to see if the bike was steady after getting it on it's center or side stand or put something under the side stand to increase the size of its footprint when parking on soft ground. It's helpful advice like this that's made Adventure Rider the place it is.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #245
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,077
Old 05-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #246
Flying Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
It would be really hard to set up this tent inside as it needs to be staked. You could possibly use something heavy such as a cinder block at the stake points to keep it stretched out.

This is what I did to air mine out. I have an unfinished basement in my home. In the joists for the floor above, I put in a few nails spread out over six or seven feet. I then hung my tent up from these nails and had a small table fan blowing on it. Worked like a champ.
That is sort of my problem. I live in a townhome with an attached single car garge but it is full with 3 motorcycles in it.
Flying Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #247
hardpackrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Thanks scottie boy

i very much appreciate your recap of how the tent works and your thoughts on it. you covered any question i or anyone (i think) would have. I am sold on it, and will be getting one asap. I love the fact that it's tall... and honestly, I'm getting it more for a place to hang out, have a cigar and a drink with my buddy during a downpour. I will get (i think) the awning for a sunny day (we'll see... it really would only work on hot, still (no wind) day) But the packing info helped.. it's going to sit ontop of my pannier in a dry bag, so sounds like by size it will do that. The pix help very much, I know others appreciate it, and just want to add my kudos as well. Thanks again for a splendid review.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives. William Wallace
I'm working on that Bill... it's why I'm here. hardpackrider
hardpackrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #248
Drifter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,794
Me thinks I'll order one for my own self!
Old 06-09-2012, 06:42 AM   #249
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

MSR Velo on ebay ... looks like they are worth their weight in gold these days

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-MSR-VEL...m=230802949770
Old 06-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #250
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

I don't know about you but to me $1235 for the MSR Velo is totally out of this world
Old 06-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #251
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
I don't know about you but to me $1235 for the MSR Velo is totally out of this world
I took a look at ebay, took one look at the pic and though "looks nice, but can't be more than a $500 tent". 2 seconds worth of googling bought this up
http://www.moontrail.com/tents/msr_velo.html

$449 - BUT out of stock. I guess a few people want them badly enough to pay more than double the original price. Wonder why MSR stopped making them? Looks like something I'd buy.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #252
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Almost triple the original price!

MSR should start production again with some of the newer technology and get the weight down to 5 or 6 pounds.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #253
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
In this day and age, unless you were going up Everest, pretty much any $100 will suffice.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #254
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
In this day and age, unless you were going up Everest, pretty much any $100 will suffice.
Not if you are riding a bicycle across the country.. which is what the bicycle riders who lust after this tent are doing.. It has a cult like following, which is rediculous.. because at 9lbs you can find BA, Sierra Designs and other tents that have large vestibules that weigh less... but there is no explaining that to the cult of distance cyclists who chase after this particular tent.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #255
birdie_xx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Thumb The new tent arrived

I purchased the Redverz Expedition II tent from Alt Rider http://www.altrider.com/redverz-tene...2-/pcid/969-29 together with the foot print. As before Alt Rider was great to deal with

The tent itself is awesome. Easy to pitch (by myself) and very spacious. Great large vestibule on one end and another, good size on the other. They use quality pegs as well. I think I packed it smaller than the way it arrived. Few more tries and I'm sure I'll pack it even smaller than that.

Now looking forward to use it !

Cheers,
birdie_xx is offline   Reply With Quote