User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2009, 01:09 AM   #46
raw_saddle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Thanks FF.
Unfortunately, the 5w isn't that much better, which kinda indicates valving is less than optimised.
It would be great if there was a magical "drill 4.5mm hole 140mm from the lower end of the damper rod" type fix, like in the old days of conventional forks, or replace shim stack washer 3 with 0.15mm tk.........
Looks like I might have to try to pull everything apart to see what is possible. Either that or just live with them. Trouble is, when getting back on the 1200GSA, the ride is soooo much better that it seems unreasonable that the "little" should be so sucky. BTW. Forgot to mention that the straight wopund springs are preloaded with a plastic 40mm length spacer. Might see if I can get some progressive springs first before diving into the internal (infernos?) again........
raw_saddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:33 AM   #47
Flo_Evans
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Bleeding the air out of the forks?

What is the proper procedure for this? I just loosened the screws and let the air seep out but some people say to compress the forks and then tighten the screws. Should you compress them enough that oil seeps out of the bleeder screws or should there always be some air in there?
Flo_Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:13 AM   #48
TymeRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
The procedure I've always heard and used is that the forks should be completely uncompressed (wheel off the ground) when you bleed the air.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo_Evans
Bleeding the air out of the forks?

What is the proper procedure for this? I just loosened the screws and let the air seep out but some people say to compress the forks and then tighten the screws. Should you compress them enough that oil seeps out of the bleeder screws or should there always be some air in there?
TymeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:22 PM   #49
raw_saddle
Adventurer

Fitted air bleeders. They were labeled for a KTM/Husky (will get the part number if needed).
Just been doing some daily commuting lately but surprised by the build up of air when relieving each day. I have a SW-Motech centrestand, so it makes it easy to relieve the forks at full extension.
...and the ride is a bit better after relieving.....
Clickers R -7, C +4 Rider weight 99kg
Old 03-20-2009, 01:54 PM   #50
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by raw_saddle
BTW. The standard fork oil seems to be about 20-30w. Seems quite thick, but might explain the harshness over small corrugations.
Just a thought.
BMW manual quotes 10W oil with a 70mm air gap (spring out, fully compressed). Oil capacity is quoted as 665ml per leg.

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #51
raw_saddle
Adventurer

Thanks Jester. No workshop manual here so only guess work.......
Old 03-23-2009, 04:06 PM   #52
Rayzor61
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Fork Damage from Factory

I just got my XMoto back from the dealer. It had a clunking noise in the right fork, just above the oil seal in the outer fork tube. The noise can be heard at the very top of the travel when rocking back and forth on the bars. It can also be heard and felt while moving the bike in the garage or driveway. After speaking to several guys on Supermotojunkie.com who had a similar problem, I called the mechanic another guy used to ask if he would relay the fix to my mechanic in New Jersey. Turns out that a lot of bikes have problems with the damping rod which is a non serviceable piece and can't be fixed. BMW sent us the whole dampening rod assemblyfor my dealer to install. No more clunking, no money outta my pocket.

Rayzor61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:14 AM   #53
FinnDuro
Winter wonderlanding

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzor61
I just got my XMoto back from the dealer. It had a clunking noise in the right fork, just above the oil seal in the outer fork tube. The noise can be heard at the very top of the travel when rocking back and forth on the bars. It can also be heard and felt while moving the bike in the garage or driveway. After speaking to several guys on Supermotojunkie.com who had a similar problem, I called the mechanic another guy used to ask if he would relay the fix to my mechanic in New Jersey. Turns out that a lot of bikes have problems with the damping rod which is a non serviceable piece and can't be fixed. BMW sent us the whole dampening rod assemblyfor my dealer to install. No more clunking, no money outta my pocket.
Damn, I have this *exact* same problem on my Xchallenge!
Clicking sound on the right fork, just above the oil seal, also could feel loose play in the inside of the forks.

Took the front forks to a suspension shop for an inspection just yesterday. I'm out of warranty only like for two months running, but if this is a factory assembly or materials failure, maybe something can be negotiated with BMW (in Europe).

EDIT:
Is this the damping rod assembly that was failured & replaced: ?
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/RightDiagrams.asp?mospid=50282&btnr=31_0751&grafikname=B0004587&model=G650%20XCHALLENGE
(Damper unit, right)

FinnDuro screwed with this post 03-24-2009 at 01:44 AM
FinnDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:31 AM   #54
Rayzor61
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Yes. And notice how this assembly is only sold as the whole unit.....
Rayzor61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:10 PM   #55
FinnDuro
Winter wonderlanding

Oddometer: 373
Had the forks back from the susp. shop yesterday.
Good news is my damper rod unit seemed not damaged according to the techs, but there was some loose play which they credited for possibly accumulated air pressure in the shimstack, and somewhat loosened rebound dial. They basically took the rebound fork totally apart, inspected it, tightened it all, and did a thorough oil change. No more clunking or clicking. Haven't ridden it yet, though.

While they were at it, I asked them to change the fork oil to 5W on both forks, otherwise standard quantities - so it'll be interesting to see/feel if that makes any noticeable difference in the fork behaviour.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:09 AM   #56
RV8Pilot
Blue,Green,Blue,Gree.....

Oddometer: 213
Forks reworked

I had a Hyperpro shock installed on my X-C and while it was at the shop I asked them to look at the fork to see if they could do anything for a little better high speed compliance. I had already installed the Wirth progressive springs and lighter oil but was still not happy with the ride.

When I got the bike back, they had installed Hyperpro progressive springs in the forks which when compared to how the Wirth springs were wound, were much more progressive. The Wirths were just very tightly wound on about 2-3 inches of the length of the spring whereas the Hyperpro showed much more progression. I am not sure what oil or quantity Klaus used to replace what I had in there.

The difference in the total suspension package is amazing and for what I paid for my bike it should have been the standard setup from the factory. The suspension is much more balanced front to back and the front end tracks high speed ripples really well, without that jarring, packed down feeling.

If anyone is interested in my old Wirth springs and the airshock, they will be in the marketplace in a day or two.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:42 PM   #57
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,831
Where did you get the Hyperpro springs from and how much? (Any links on the web?)
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:42 AM   #58
RV8Pilot
Blue,Green,Blue,Gree.....

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz
Where did you get the Hyperpro springs from and how much? (Any links on the web?)
EPM Performance Imports in Manalapan, NJ, 732-786-9777 Talk to Klaus

The front springs were $139.00
Old 04-01-2009, 02:49 PM   #59
sideway5
Mudmuppet

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzor61
I just got my XMoto back from the dealer. It had a clunking noise in the right fork, just above the oil seal in the outer fork tube.
I have that problem too and so does my friend. :-(

Gonna call BMW about it and see what they have to say.
sideway5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:50 PM   #60
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
So, I have an appointment with HouseofHorsePower in OKC, OK. next week to get the suspension revalved/reworked on my little KTM dirt bike. I'm taking the bike and gonna mess around for half a day while its being done and then bringing it back same day. (don't live too far away from them)

Thought about also bringing my Xchallage and seeing what he might do about the forks (already got Wilbers on the rear). But I don't know what is possible or what I have to work with, or what to expect to gain from it....

Kinda like: If its really bad, I'm not sure I know it, or want to know. Or meybe I don't know what I'm missing....

Any ideas/input or suggestions on what I could expect from custom suspension work?? Just thinking.......