Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2007, 01:23 PM   #1
Countdown OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,061
Soldier Meadow Ranch

Made a 4-Day ride from Gerlach, stayed 3 nights at Soldier Meadow Ranch. Great place to stay, friendly staff, great food. Only downer was $9/gal gas. First day had lots of snow, mud, and ice but other three days were great.

I hope some friends who are better with pictures than I will start a ride report and link to this.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Soldier 07 Fall.gpx (1.36 MB, 586 views)
Old 10-26-2007, 11:06 PM   #2
ghostbuster2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Jerry, was there gas in Denio? Did you camp (in an RV) at Soldier Meadows or stay in a Cabin. If you drove an RV how long did it take to get to Soldier Meadows from Hwy 80? Thanks for the tracks.

Pete
ghostbuster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 09:36 PM   #3
ISDTBower
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Gas in Denio....CASH!!!...Best Cheese Burgers around! Great staff there also. CASH! Verizon analog only.

80 to Gerlach is about 1 hour.
Gerlach to Soldier is about 80 miles...50 of playa and dirt road. Count on a flat tire and one hell of a wash job. I gassed in Gerlach, drove the support trailer to Soldier and just made it back to 80 on 20 gallons.

Don't count on gas at Soldier. That was pre-arranged, and their actual cost is in the area of $7.50 including delivery. They do prefer/request that you bring your own.

Soldier is a great place to ride out of. Centered around lots of interesting geography, and wildlife. No one cares more about this area than the owners. The ranch is NOT a Dude ranch, they are working to make it a ranch again, and opening lost springs for the local wildlife. It is a great secure, clean place to bunk, shower, and grab all the food you can eat! Just dropping by can be sketchy. E-mailing them before hand will be welcome. They may also ask you to pick something up on the way out there. It is pretty much a 8 hour, $100 minimum trip to get a quart of milk or some necessity . Get hurt? It seems like we are on our own. Life flight from Reno has refused to go to that area also. Helo's from Bend, Oregon take 3+ hours...if they decide to come.

Soldier Meadows and Knott Creek Ranch are the only communications out of the area. The Summit Lake Indians got power a few years ago, but I am not sure about where you would ask about a phone.

Hell of a place to break a chain........
ISDTBower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:49 AM   #4
ghostbuster2
Gnarly Adventurer

Sounds like a great place. They offer room and board? How much per night? Have seen a few ride reports about Soldier Meadows and have wanted to make a trip out there. With 160 miles of dirt road it would probably be faster and cheaper to leave the Toyhauler at home.

Is there a link to any pictures of your ride?

What kind of bikes were you riding? Is a plated bike necessary for any of your tracks?

Thanks for the info, Pete
Old 10-28-2007, 10:15 AM   #5
ISDTBower
Gnarly Adventurer

You can make contact through: www.soldiermeadows.com

Unless you are going to spend a week, I would NOT take the toyhauler. If you drove a pickup with a few bikes out there, that would take care of gas and necessities. With a little pre-planning with them, you could start your ride in severral places including Reno, Fernley, Nixon, and Gerlach. Soldier can be a destination for an over night, or several nights. We have done this with backpacks. They provide a bed or bunk , showers, and food. Oh, did I say hot springs close!!!! Clothing optional. Figure $100/day.

Street license is also optional. I think they just recently got a second sheriff in the area (3000 square miles). Only pavement is around Gerlach and Denio. Unless you are really screwing up, it should not be a problem. Quads and side-x-sides use all these areas also.

We usually ride enduro type bikes. Many of the BLM and ranch roads and trails are two track but rutted and ROCKY! The well used two tracks and "county graded roads" are Adventure bike OK but you will hit rock gardens and some soft places. The Black Rock Desert playa has sucked up many 2 strokes and 4 strokes that carry minimal oil in the transmissions. Do your 100mph sprints and then back off for awhile. I did not look at Jerry's Tracks but those are probably B rider and above tracks. You can get through everything, but the constant rocks and varied terrain will get to you. Sooner or later you will be loosing daylight if you are a "slow" rider. NOT the place to be at night!

Send me a PM and I have some pictures.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:00 AM   #6
ISDTBower
Gnarly Adventurer

A little trust here.
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2007, 10:00 PM   #7
ghostbuster2
Gnarly Adventurer

We are all B and better riders on XR's, CRF's etc. A few of us get out to NV about 20 days a year for our desert fix. I have ridden some of Jerry's tracks (the Ricky mine track and the other single track around Mt Patterson are my favorites) so I have an idea of what to expect-lots of fun. I will check out the website and hopefully plan an early summer or fall ride. PM sent.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:58 AM   #8
Countdown OP
Beastly Adventurer

pics

A vew pictures

http://www.district37ama.org/forums/...ad.php?t=17275
Old 10-30-2007, 11:01 AM   #9
Countdown OP
Beastly Adventurer

The two places we ride are up an down 395 Topaz, Tonopah, Beatty, Lone Pine, Mammoth in Summer and North-West Nevada in Spring and Fall.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:03 PM   #10
JimC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
The two places we ride are up an down 395 Topaz, Tonopah, Beatty, Lone Pine, Mammoth in Summer and North-West Nevada in Spring and Fall.
Hi Jerry,

Thanks, for the tracks and pictures. One of my goals for the last year has been to ride the Lassen-Applegate trail from Imlay to Ft Bidwell. Hopefully next year.

Spent the weekend riding out of Minden into the PineNuts, Tahoe Rim, Old Stage road to Carson City, Virginia City and back. Great weekend for riding in Nevada.

Jim in Sacramento
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:30 PM   #11
Countdown OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Hi Jerry,

Thanks, for the tracks and pictures. One of my goals for the last year has been to ride the Lassen-Applegate trail from Imlay to Ft Bidwell. Hopefully next year.

Spent the weekend riding out of Minden into the PineNuts, Tahoe Rim, Old Stage road to Carson City, Virginia City and back. Great weekend for riding in Nevada.

Jim in Sacramento
Do you have tracks for L-A? A couple of friends rode it a vew years ago. I hae or can get trakcs.

You rode Rim trail for pleasure? or did some one pay you to suffer through whoops like the worst desert racing area.?
Old 10-30-2007, 05:36 PM   #12
sandiegoland
Adventure Boy®

Oddometer: 1,743
It's remote, but fantastic country...

sandiegoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:00 PM   #13
ghostbuster2
Gnarly Adventurer

I would be interested in a Lassen/Applegate trail ride. Saw it written up in the Blue Ribbon Coalition magazine and have been interested in riding it.

What is the Tahoe Rim trail, any tracks of it?

What were you riding JimC, dual sport bikes?
Old 10-30-2007, 09:15 PM   #14
JimC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Do you have tracks for L-A? A couple of friends rode it a vew years ago. I hae or can get tracks.

You rode Rim trail for pleasure? or did some one pay you to suffer through whoops like the worst desert racing area.?
I don't have the tracks, but have a pretty reasonable idea where the trail goes. If you can get me the actual tracks that would be wonderful.

The Rim trail did remind me of some of the whooped out trails around Randsburg, fortunately the rest of the ride was fine. I can see why we saw little traffic on the trail. The ride over the Pinenuts to Holbrook Junction on Saturday made up for the Rim Trail.

Thanks,
Jim in Sacramento
Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:16 PM   #15
ghostbuster2
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
That water crossing in your second set of pictures looks deep and cold.