User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2007, 09:22 PM   #16
ghostbuster2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
JimC, did you come out of the Pinenuts at Red Canyon to Upper Colony Rd and take the highway over Jack Wright Pass to Holbrook Junction? I have looked for a route off of Rattlesnake Peak (above Red Canyon) that goes north towards Holbrook Jct but have not found one. Do you have any GPS tracks of your ride?
ghostbuster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:30 PM   #17
JimC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostbuster2
JimC, did you come out of the Pinenuts at Red Canyon to Upper Colony Rd and take the highway over Jack Wright Pass to Holbrook Junction? I have looked for a route off of Rattlesnake Peak (above Red Canyon) that goes north towards Holbrook Jct but have not found one. Do you have any GPS tracks of your ride?
Hi Ghost

We were on 650 Dual Sport bikes, 2 KTM 640's, a Husky 610 and BMW G650X. The ride was challanging but fun.

In order not to hijack Jerry's thread I will post the GPS tracks of the ride in a separate thread and include the track for the Tahoe Rim Trail.

Jim in Sacramento
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:34 AM   #18
NV BLU
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Returned from Soldier Meadows Monday

I just returned from Soldier Meadows on Monday. My family met there to spend the weekend and enjoy the outback. We are ATV types (sorry guys) and with us was a past president of Trails West This gal, who is 80 years old, rode with us for two days and her 50 years of experience and knowledge in this area was amazing. Her specialty is the Lassen-Applegate trail. If you have been out there, you will have noticed the Trails West iron markers. Inscribed on the markers is a quote from a diary of the orginal pioneers. Then, there is a reference to the Trails West book where the complete story is located. Look at their site at emigranttrailswest.org.
You will also find a virtual tour of the trail as well as other interesting information. You will also find the map of the complete trail in here. Buy the book, it's worth it.
Soldier Meadows Ranch is a great spot. They have about a dozen rooms ranging from two suites to your basic bunk room. (If you are an adult, opt for the queen rooms). Breakfast (served at 7:00 each morning) and dinner (at 6:00) can be arranged. The food is hearty, plentiful, and good.
Fuel, as stated above, is not really available. They are not in the fuel business and don't want to be either. It is my suggestion that a truck accompany your group to act as a fuel barge as well as hauling gear around. This is especially the case if you plan to camp out. Take turns on who has to drive the truck and who gets to ride.
One more thing...........DUST............... This is huge out here. If you don't like fine, powdery "bug dust" then stay home.
NV BLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #19
Countdown OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,958
A few friends made another trip last weekend, sadly I couldn't make it. Charlene Bower Daughter of three time ISDE rider Ben Bower made a great vidio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt1q5d2AaZU
Old 10-28-2011, 10:03 PM   #20
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
I led a group with six of us through there at the beginning of October as well. We were just passing through on the way back from Eastern OR. Had a really great ride. Some on 950's.

What I want to mention is that if you gas in Denio Junction and come down into Soldier Meadow through the reservation, it is only 140 miles to gas in Gerlach, staying on the east side of the meadow and dropping onto the playa. It would be easy to strap on jug and carry enough fuel for getting through plus a reasonable amount of exploring.

We had no extra fuel, camped at the top of Soldier Meadow in a clearing just below the reservation. Had a blast the next morning playing in the sand, blasting across the playa, and went to Bruno's for lunch.
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #21
Outdoor_Girl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I really recommend picking up a copy of Chuck Dodd's "Guide to the Black Rock Desert" for trips in this area. I've made several trips out here (none by bike yet) and have found the book to be a fantastic resource about where to go, how to get there, and a little history to boot. If you can pack a fair amount of extra fuel, riding through High Rock Canyon would be a blast. If you come in from the north you have to stop in Fields, OR (north of Denio) for a cheeseburger. Watch for air traffic near the restaurant, twice now I've had planes land in front of me on the road.
Outdoor_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #22
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 725
very sad news related to the ranch, see post by hodakaguy
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote