Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2007, 02:06 PM   #46
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickler
I've been playing with this exact question in an effort to start up a business around it. There's other applications of what comes out of the requirements of taking these types of electronics on the road, (backpacking, generally anything that requires durability and portability), but I currently use a Nokia N800 with an external keyboard for just this purpose. Much smaller than a laptop, so it's easier to pack away and into something that will protect it. No hard drive, so it's more durable.
I have the same setup. It rules. Also it runs Linux which is, of course, better than any alternative.
señormoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:20 PM   #47
chasfactor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Sony TZ series

Hey guys/gals...

Just went for the Sony TZ160. 11.1in screen, sub 3lbs. Very nice but very expensive no doubt. Hope it holds up riding from Argentina/Chile to CALIF.

Ciao!

Chas
chasfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:51 PM   #48
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,049
I have been playing with an Nokia N800 for a few days now. I am going to be setting up a 100 of them for a car service and I am not that impressed with it. My chief complaint being that it seems to have a hard time playing video and it does not have any kind of EVDO capabilities.
If you could use it to connect to the net view a 3G card when there is no wireless network it would be a much better deal.
My travel compute ris one of two. I use a Dell 700m which is small enough but not small and gets almost 6 hours of battery life or an older G3 iBook when I am worried about it being stolen or broken.
Neither of them are small but they do everything I need.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:58 AM   #49
GSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfactor
Hey guys/gals...

Just went for the Sony TZ160. 11.1in screen, sub 3lbs. Very nice but very expensive no doubt. Hope it holds up riding from Argentina/Chile to CALIF.

Ciao!

Chas

I have a Sony T250 that has been carried to Prudhoe Bay, Labrador, Nova Scotia, Colorado, Key West, Copper Canyon, etc. via motorcycle and has never missed a beat. I will also be taking it to Chile and Argentina this winter and expect the same result. Good machine and nice to carry form factor.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:35 AM   #50
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe
I have been playing with an Nokia N800 for a few days now. I am going to be setting up a 100 of them for a car service and I am not that impressed with it. My chief complaint being that it seems to have a hard time playing video and it does not have any kind of EVDO capabilities.
If you could use it to connect to the net view a 3G card when there is no wireless network it would be a much better deal.
My travel compute ris one of two. I use a Dell 700m which is small enough but not small and gets almost 6 hours of battery life or an older G3 iBook when I am worried about it being stolen or broken.
Neither of them are small but they do everything I need.
If you have a 3G phone it can connect to the internet with that via bluetooth.
señormoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:31 AM   #51
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by themattreid
If you have a 3G phone it can connect to the internet with that via bluetooth.
Good point. I have a 3G card that I shove in my laptop. Not via my phone, honestly for all the extras that come with it I would look at getting an iPhone for close to the same money. Though I have very little iPhone experience other than playing with my nephew's. That said I will most likely end up with a free N800 so we'll see how I like it if I use it more.