User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2010, 06:30 AM   #1
Butters OP
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,263
Fixing the Sidi Adventure "Squeak"?

Sorry to start a new thread on this, but trying to search the main thread is a bit overwhelming and wasn't too productive. Lots of postings about squeaking, but no solutions or even statements about what worked or didn't.

As we all know, the Sidi Adventures squeak . . . A LOT. It didn't really bother me at first (and it wasn't as bad) but it bothers me know. If I know I'm going to go to a store or office - it's just too loud and annoying. Outdoors and on the bike is obviously no big deal, but get in a quiet office or store and everyone knows your there!

So I'm wondering what people have tried and how successful it has been to minimize/fix the squeak.

I'm curious what you used, where you put it on the boots, and whether there is any risk of damage to the boots/waterproof membrane/lorica/etc.

Butters screwed with this post 11-13-2010 at 07:13 PM
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:38 AM   #2
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Oddometer: 1,166
In my experience, the squeaking is due to the plastic ankle protection moving against the leather (Lorica for the US boots) not the hinge itself. I've noticed a significant decrease and even a short term elimination of the squeaking when I've treated the leather with some mink oil. It helps to really work it in under the plastic ankle protector, an old tooth brush helps with this, or even to remove the protector entirely to clean and treat the leather.

I also give the hinges and the buckles a shot of silicone lube to keep them working freely.
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
mark1150
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Thumb

If they are anything like road - race boot plastic articulated ankle protectors use a spray on furniture polish, just spray onto the offending joint when they start to squeek again.
I've been doing it for years with varios boots with no adverse effect what so ever.
Hope this helps.
mark1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
Butters OP
. . . . . .

Thanks for the replies. I tried silicone lube on one of them and really didn't hear a difference. I also worry about the long term use of it, although it said it was for leather, among other things. Even after a fairly liberal application, I could run my finger on both the plastic and the lorica and it was really noisy. It seems like both contribute to the squeak.

I think I'm going to try a more wax like substance. (which I guess furniture polish would apply). I'm thinking a liberal use of Nikwax, but maybe something even more waxier.

My other thought is to go the other way and try a dry powder like cornstarch.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:43 AM   #5
RC3094
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
I use a silicon spray with teflon and it appears to work at minimizing the squeaks without attracting any dust/dirt/grit. Silicon is safe for use on most everything and won't dry out natural or man-made leather/fabrics.

The squeaking irritates some of my coworkers so I really don't want to make it disappear completely.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:16 AM   #6
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 4,934
Baby powder stopped the squeak on my Gaerne balance boots. I tried everything else first. It lasts a few months of daily use before it needs to be re-applied.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
Butters OP
. . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone
Baby powder stopped the squeak on my Gaerne balance boots. I tried everything else first. It lasts a few months of daily use before it needs to be re-applied.
Well along these lines . . . .

Since I had some Cornstarch sitting in the cupboard, I tried a quick application this morning.

It eliminated probably 90% of the squeaking with just a quick application. At the very least, it got it down to the level it probably won't be noticeable, or very minimally, by those around you.

However, they apparently don't make jet black cornstarch so you are stuck with white powder. But really it wasn't noticeable after wiping off the excess. (Certainly less noticeable than the damn squeaking!).

I can't imagine it will hurt the boots, especially if kept from the waterproof membrane.

My only concern is whether it will last thru a rainstorm/water crossing. It didn't take long to apply the stuff, but if the squeaks come back after every creek crossing then it isn't that great of a solution. I'm curious whether the baby powder lasts through the rain.

I would still like to try a nikwax application, but am going to see how long I can get by with the cornstarch.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:01 AM   #8
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,935
My next thing to try is faucet grease.

It worked great on squeaky ski boot hinges. So we'll see, I cannot find my tube.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:08 PM   #9
Juvat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
I am really interested in this. My boots squeak like a MOFO! I like them allot and probably will buy them again, but the squeaking is pretty ridiculous. It's not a little squeak either.
Juvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:08 PM   #10
Richy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
I use the silicon lube spray, liberally. Does a fair job of waterproofing, too!
Richy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #11
GSDonovan
There and back again

Oddometer: 745
That mink oil stuff works on my Sidi Adventures...I put it on thick in the ankle area and the squeaking went away. I noticed after a couple of months of use, however, that a little squeaking came back, but I figure reapplying a little more of the oil and I'll be good for another couple of months. I can now walk into work without sounding like a herd of geese.
GSDonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:19 PM   #12
explodingmouse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
I used spray on chain lube on my crossfires over a year ago , still no squeaking !
explodingmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #13
houlster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Yes, these boots are unbelievably loud. I tried silicone spray and thought it worked at first, but after letting them sit overnight to dry/stink out, the scrunch scrunch was back. And the silicone smells pretty obnoxious.

I spent about 10 min scuffing the inside of all the plastic pieces with a piece of emery cloth. The main hinge will pull out of the leather tab at the top. I scuffed the whole inside of that and of the buckles. This took about 90% of the noise away. It was like the relief you feel after you've had a BAAADDD tooth yanked and pain finally starts to go away.

After a few days/rides, the scrunch has come back a bit, about 50% I'd say. I'm gonna do this again, but will first remove the hinge entirely from the boot. It looks pretty easy to remove and it'll make scuffing the inside of it a lot easier.

I was also thinking maybe to add a little bit of graphite powder/dry lube afterward. Thinking maybe the scuffing will hold it better/longer as well.

--Dan

houlster screwed with this post 11-17-2010 at 02:58 PM
houlster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:31 PM   #14
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,900
You're fighting a losing battle.

Like MCMXCIVRS said, it's from the plastic exoskeleton rubbing against the leather or Lorica.

Anything you do will have to be continually reapplied.

The way I see it, it would be like trying to eliminate the squeak from a good leather saddle.

I'm just letting mine squeak.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:15 PM   #15
GSDonovan
There and back again

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux
You're fighting a losing battle.

Like MCMXCIVRS said, it's from the plastic exoskeleton rubbing against the leather or Lorica.

Anything you do will have to be continually reapplied.

The way I see it, it would be like trying to eliminate the squeak from a good leather saddle.

I'm just letting mine squeak.
Applying mink oil every 2-3 months for 5 minutes is no big deal. YOU DON'T HAVE TO LIVE WITH THE SQUEAK PEOPLE!
GSDonovan is offline   Reply With Quote