Oddometer: 1,056
subscribed
bereahorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:48 PM   #152
driftwood
...if anybody would...

Oddometer: 704

Any new reports?

I've been a Tourance guy 95% (with TKCs for some trail practice).

What's the latests with the TAs?

From a certain point onwards, there is no turning back. That is the point that must be reached
. -F.Kafka

Everyone looks retarded once you set your mind to it. -David Sedaris

If you don't do it today, do it tomorrow and if there's no tomorrow, it doesn't need to be done. -old pioneer dude in the Yukon

WVho7TIlk21bw = $5 off with new smugmug account
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:17 AM   #153
TruSound
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Conti's

Don't hesitate...buy the the Trail Attacks, I wanted to trade them for the Dunlop set on another GS when I purchased my bike, the dealer told me the Conti's were great tires and to give them a shot...I'M VERY HAPPY I DID, all my riding is street with mostly twisties, for a trail designated tire there unbelievable.

I recently sold my spoke wheels and replaced them with a set of cast mags and mounted up a set of the Road Attacks, again I say...the Conti's are fantastic in every respect.

A quick Google search will produce a few long term tests for all the top brands vs. the Conti's...have a look, you'll be as surprised as I was in the results.
TruSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:27 PM   #154
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,110
Thumbs up!

Right before my last trip I had a rear installed, awesome tire... With the bike loaded I couldn't lock it up on tarmac, wet or dry (I push the bike quite a bit). In gravel, dirt, or sand, it performed surprisingly well, similarly on rocks- I kept expecting to loose traction, but it kept on going .

I say surprising because the design doesn't seem much, but even on loose gravel the tire didn't fish around, and in sand was better than the front Distanzia.

Currently have about 7000km on TA, will probably get 10000km (650cc Versys).

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:58 PM   #155
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,883
With 4883 miles on a rear Trail Attack I have formed an opinion. The front has almost as many miles, but from the looks, it may last a few more years - the thing hardly wears!

The bike: '02 KLR, 19" Excel rim on the front, sealed and running tubeless. Rear has a stock rim, with tube.

The tires: Front - 110/80R-19, tubeless. Rear - 140/80R-17 tubeless w/tube

The scenario: Mostly pavement until Memorial Day weekend, when I got to try them out on the Dalton Hwy. Aired down to 18 psi front, 24 psi rear. NOTE: Up until this trip I have been using TKC80's almost exclusively on that road, and love them, but after two round trips (1500 miles each) they are worn too far down to trust for a third trip.

The results: On pavement they perform like a supersport tire, never giving even a hint of letting go under any conditions I have experienced. On gravel - there was almost no difference in handling between these tires and the TKC80's. What I did feel I think can be attributed to the different way bias ply tires and radial ply tires react to ruts, and once I adjusted to that, I pushed the Trail Attacks just as hard as I would have the TKC's.

As always on the Dalton Hwy, there was mud - and here is where I felt the TA's were less confidence inspiring than TKC's. But at the same time, I cannot say that they ever really slipped. It may have been my imagination, anticipating slippage that never actually occurred, that was to blame.

There is one very steep hill - other than Atigun Pass - on that road that is known as Roller Coaster Hill. Northbound it is around a 12% grade, but southbound it must be close to 18% at the bottom, easing to around 15% 1/3 of the way up. As luck would have it, that piece of roadway was being watered down and graded as I came back south. My mind told me that there was no way I would not be spinning my way to the top, yet I was able to hold 35 mph in 3rd gear all the way up without the rear tire ever giving a hint of breaking loose. THAT impressed me!

Sadly, the wear is not what I was hoping for, so the next tire will be a Tourance. I've gotten over 11,000 miles on that tire on the back of my Suzuki GS1100G and hope to do as well on the KLR. But other than a shorter life than I had hoped for, the Trail Attacks are an amazing tire considering they don't really look like they would work in dirt.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:27 PM   #156
jrozar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
So my question is would you run them of the Haul Road in Alaska to Pruhdoe and feel comfortable?
jrozar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:34 PM   #157
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrozar
So my question is would you run them of the Haul Road in Alaska to Pruhdoe and feel comfortable?

I ran it last year on TKC80's aired to 25 psi. The deal with the Haul Road is that it's all about road conditions. If it's dry and clean you can run it on racing slicks if you want. But if it's damp or worse, the TKC's improve your margin for error dramatically.

I got lucky - very mildly damp until I got to the last 30 miles. I got stuck following water trucks all the way into Deadhorse...trucks that had been dumping water all morning. That slurry of calcium carbide, gravel and 500,000 gallons of water made the TKC's priceless to me.

BTW, the Haul Road? The first 30 miles and the last 30 miles are the worst. The middle 420 miles or so is mixed hardpack & blacktop. It's really more about paying attention - you can't let your attention lapse. Last year some guy was flown out the day before my wife and I made the run...and he was riding a T-Rex three-wheeler. Another guy dumped a GWing. Pay attention and with good conditions, any tire will do.

PS: the first half of my alaskan experience and I used Anakee 2's. The second half I put on TKC80's in the hotel parking lot myself and ran the remaining 4,500 miles home on the TKC's.

It's a helluva trip no mater how you slice it.

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:06 PM   #158
_DreamRider_
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Deals

Anyone seen good deals on these tires from online suppliers? Wheres the best price at the moment?
_DreamRider_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:20 AM   #159
WvMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
I got a set from jakewilson.com for under $200 delivered. F800GS sizes(21"/17").
WvMoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:02 AM   #160
dip1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Just had these put on my F650 Funduro. Wow what a difference! I was used to a squared off tire for so long I almost dumped the bike.Really smooth on the road. Looks to be a decent tire for dirt gravel roads. Definitely different looking on the bike. So far so good.
dip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:43 AM   #161
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,615
Rocky mountain ATV

Rocky mountain atv, About $180 delivered to So Cal for a set of 21/18"
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:47 AM   #162
DIRTSCOOTER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Conti trail attack

I have an '09 GSA and the Trail attacks came on the bike, I now have 12.500 miles on and I'm not down to the wear bars yet. Nice tire and great millage but it's getting a little squirrely in the mud now.

What is the best I could expect to get from a set of TKCs?

2013 Triumph Trophy

'05 drz s/sm
DIRTSCOOTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:52 PM   #163
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,127
Quote:
What is the best I could expect to get from a set of TKCs?
...depends on how long you keep a set...the rear evaporates, and I'd guess around 4-5K it'd be worthless.
But some guys rid'em to the cords.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:54 AM   #164
Chris_GS OP
I like a big pair...

Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercindy
Very informative thread. Thanks for starting it, Chris.
Nurries!*

(Oz slang on top of oz slang for no worries!)

VFR800 (VFR# 7)
Chris_GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:57 AM   #165
Chris_GS OP
I like a big pair...

Oddometer: 452
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarathonMan
I am installing my new Trail Attacks on my DL650. I found a red dot on the front, which I assume indicates the light spot.

I can not find a red dot on the rear. What does this mean?

1) The red dot rubbed off, or
2) The tire as manufactured is in balance

FYI - I will use RideOn to dynamically balance the tires, which I have used before successfully.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
I think it's because they are made in Korea. Different factory, maybe they do it anyway so we don't spend hours looking for a red dot. it is much more important on a front tyre.

I guess.

VFR800 (VFR# 7)
Chris_GS is offline   Reply With Quote