Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2010, 01:41 PM   #166
sellmeyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
rider opinion on this tire (BMW F650GS Dakar)

my $0.02 on this tire

More than a year ago I bought a set of the Conti Trail Attack tire for a trip that didn't pan out. At the time the tire was still pretty new over here in the USA. I bought these over the Anakee because they were supposed to be longer-lasting than their french counterpart and I was hoping to avoid a tire change late in my trip. My primary concern was tread life and wear pattern.

I finally had the occassion to mount the Trail Attacks on my Dakar this Summer for a ~4400mile superslab tour. I rode by myself with panniers full of stuff and a light dufflebag on top. I ran maybe 33PSI in the front and 36PSI in the rear. Now that I am back from the trip I can see the front tire is fine, of course, but the rear is pretty flat. It isn't so bad that I get a bump when I roll onto the chine in corners, but it is noticeably flat...flat from all of the straight roads, no doubt. This was not a twisty trip, A-B on long highways for the most part.

By comparison, I took the Anakee set on a longer tour two years ago, again it was a long tour and not performance-oriented. Back then the bike was more heavily loaded and after maybe 6000miles the rear was not as flat as my current Trail Attack with only 4400miles. I ran very similar PSI #s then as I did with the Trail Attack. I have plenty of tread depth remaining on the rear Conti, but I'm thinking that handling in the corners is going to suffer with more miles as the rear goes even more flat. Maybe its time to spend more miles in the twisties to even out the wear?

As far as tire manners go, I must say the the Trail Attack was fine on the pavement. It was smooth, didn't make any noise that I could attribute to the tire, and provided good dry pavement traction. At the end of the trip I hit rain in the mountains and I never felt any hit in confidence when it came to the wet-traction capabilities of the tire.

In gravel and/or sand covered pavement, the Trail Attack seemed slippery. I remember being more planted in similar conditions with the Anakee. This latter part is no surprise to me given that the tires have fewer tread blocks than the Anakee. Still, I didn't get to test the tires in dirt almost at all. When I got home, the MT-21s went back on the bike. This tire is a reasonable tire and I don't think they were all that expensive either; maybe a good 80/20 tire, but not the best in terms of life span in my case.

Anyway, my recommendation is to favor the Anakee over the Trail Attack if you are looking for a 80/20 tire for the BMW F650; again I rode the 90/90x12 and the more narrow of the 17" offerings for the rear. I'm expecting the new Anakee2 to be at least as good as the original and therefore better than the trail attack in terms of wear pattern.

I won't contest anyone else' claim of greatness for this tire if used on something like the R1200GS. That bike is bigger, heavier, and uses different sized tires than mine does.

sellmeyer screwed with this post 08-18-2010 at 01:55 PM
sellmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:53 AM   #167
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,160
Hi Sellmeyer,

I can confirm this (on a heavy weight XL1000V Honda Varadero):
It's now on its 3rd pair of Conti TA's. Before I as an convinced Anakee user.

In comparison with the Anakees, and your report above, I can state (or add) the following.

- On my XL600V Transalp (in size, power and weight comparible with your F650) I also prefer the Anakee;
- In comparison with the Anakee the Trail Attack maintains grip till the last thread of rubber. On the last 2 occasions I've got over 10.000 miles from them.
- Don't use it in sand. You will only get stuck...
- It's perfect on gravel. Surprisingly good, even on the 283 kg heavy Varadero;

- I found the Anakee reacting very nervously on tar snakes (especially those placed in tight cornering) and ridges / cracks in the axial direction of the road surface; where the Trail Attack doesn't do anything strange but remains on course if it was running on railroad tracks;
- I use the TA with an slightly higher pressure as recommended: 2,5 Bar front (36PSI), 2,8 Bar rear (40,5 PSI). It will avoid 'squaring' and since that suspension travel is enough on a big trail bike, you still won't end up on a bumpy ride... On gravel I reduce air pressure with about -< 14/15 PSI (1 Bar)

On a big trail bike like GS, Capo Nord, Tiger, S10 etc I guess the Conti TA is currently the best tyre in town.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:49 PM   #168
BearII
No, it's not complicated

Oddometer: 224
My .02... It's funny how two people can see things so different Two Plugs. I hated the TA's the only really good thing was they wouldn't wear out. I finally threw them out at 12,000 miles because I was disgusted with them. Even then they had at least another 1,000 in them. I should have done it at half the mileage but I'm too cheap.

They did handle better on the pavement than the Anakee 2s I've replaced them with (I'm on my second set of Anakees) UNTIL, they started cupping and squared off at about 5000 miles. Don't even get me started on the nasty little decel wobble at 35-40 mph... OR the friggin' howling around corners, etc., etc. And yes, I maintain tire pressure religiously, using the exact same pressures Two Plugs did on pavement incidentally.

On dirt/gravel/sand/mud, basically anywhere off road I thought they totally and completely sucked. The only "dirt" situation they felt reasonable on was completely dry, hard packed dirt. Compare the Anakee with the TA's I always felt like I was a split second away from disaster off road with the TAs. The Anakee isn't bad, certainly not a Heindeau k60 or TKC80 but it does alright. If you plan to go off road, stay way, far away from the TA's!!!!!

I would never buy another Conti TA!

'13 BMW R1200GS ADV (triple black) - it doesn't get any better... just had to get another one!, '07 BMW R1200GS ADV - sold after 73,000 wonderful miles together
'13 Ford Raptor SVT - wow, what a truck!
BearII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:07 AM   #169
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearII
My .02... It's funny how two people can see things so different Two Plugs. I hated the TA's the only really good thing was they wouldn't wear out. I finally threw them out at 12,000 miles because I was disgusted with them. Even then they had at least another 1,000 in them. I should have done it at half the mileage but I'm too cheap.

They did handle better on the pavement than the Anakee 2s I've replaced them with (I'm on my second set of Anakees) UNTIL, they started cupping and squared off at about 5000 miles. Don't even get me started on the nasty little decel wobble at 35-40 mph... OR the friggin' howling around corners, etc., etc. And yes, I maintain tire pressure religiously, using the exact same pressures Two Plugs did on pavement incidentally.

On dirt/gravel/sand/mud, basically anywhere off road I thought they totally and completely sucked. The only "dirt" situation they felt reasonable on was completely dry, hard packed dirt. Compare the Anakee with the TA's I always felt like I was a split second away from disaster off road with the TAs. The Anakee isn't bad, certainly not a Heindeau k60 or TKC80 but it does alright. If you plan to go off road, stay way, far away from the TA's!!!!!

I would never buy another Conti TA!
@ BearII... On a BMW you should never abandon Metzeler tires...

It's the same with other marquees. I really loved the good old Michelin T66X - I know, it doesn't make sense but I found them also very good. Never felt insecure on them - Winter, rain, sun, etc. But most (It seemed 99% of the Planet's bikers population) really hated the T66.

The Trailwing from Bridgestone (the standard tire on a Honda Varadero) is called 'Deathwing' not without a reason. But there are numerous riders who are very much satisfied with it...

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Old 09-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #170
walrond
Earth Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,062
I have a set of Conti TAs on my R1150GS for 15k miles now and still love them. The rear has about 1mm of tread left and it's time to replace them. I plan on getting another set as 99% of my riding is strictly on road with a slight diversion to a hard packed dirt road occasionally. I don't have any experience with the tires in dirt, sand or mud.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:16 PM   #171
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,940
Thumb wowdeyweargood!

I just found the stickers from my TA's in my log book. Thought I'd had them for under 5K. My bike has 16.7K today. I was quite surprosed to see that the tires where put on at 9.7K!
7K on these f@ckers!
The rear is about half worn, the front I'm replacing only because of having the wheels trued up at Woody's. Want to start fresh up front, but it still has the 'Attack' letters on it!
Most mileage I've ever got out of any tire considering the wear.

...and agreed with BearII on one thing, they are not an offroad tire...dirt roads as good as most street tires.

Rapid Dog screwed with this post 09-22-2010 at 12:21 PM
Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:52 AM   #172
walrond
Earth Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,062
I fitted a new pair of Trails Attacks yesterday after putting 15,500 miles on the first set. I forgot how much fun the big GS can be in the twisties! While the TAs can go 15K plus miles, I think I will change them out somewhere closer to 10K miles. I had forgotten how quick a new set of the TAs are in tight fast corners. The well used set I took off were no longer "telepathic" and I really had to push the bike into corners once the TAs had so many miles on them.

I'm still a very happy customer when it comes to the TAs!!!
Old 02-19-2011, 07:04 AM   #173
GS_addict
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Metzler Tourance vs Conti TA

Hi,

I'm changing my 1150GS tyres and wondered whether after all these thoughts left in these years, you still prefer the Conti TA against the Tourance. I'm more into day-to-day road use, even though our roads are sometimes kind of riding off-road :P

Thanks
GS_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:44 AM   #174
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

I thought that I've got a fair mileage out of the TA's - 16.000 km / 10.000 miles - but reading here mileages of 15K+ miles - that's astonishing!

Agree with the posting above... I would change them anyway at 10K miles. Security comes first and you only have this two little patches of square inches to connect with the road...

Old 02-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #175
GS_addict
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Just changed my Metzler Tourance to Conti Trail Attack ..... I'm amazed!! The handling is somehow incredible, I can now say I know what the GS really offers and this thanks to my new tyres :) Am glad I took note of what you all said and went for these!!!
GS_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:04 PM   #176
exotesthrasouden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Great info

Great post. Just bought an 09 800GS that had the Attacks on them and was thinking about getting TKCs put on. After reading all this I think I'm gonna stick with them and really feel them out.

cheers

- 2009 BMW F800GS
exotesthrasouden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #177
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 20,223
Switching from the Pirelli Scorpions

I've been running the Pirellis for awhile. Very pleased with dry grip and predictability, thought I'd give the Conti's a try because they come in a 140 instead of the 120 I run with the Pirellis.

Impressions to follow.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:13 PM   #178
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

I'm on my 4th rear CTA right now. Achieved over 10.000 miles on the three previous ones, but have been using the bike less for touring, but more for commuting the last winter due to the fact that I sold my car - so, a lot of mileage (140 km per day) motorway.

I had to replace the rear tyre (worn down) after 10.000 km (6.250 miles); most likely I could have done another apr. 3.000 km (1.850 miles) with it, but chances that I would need to replace the tire during my trip to Slovakia and the Czech Republic made me making the change for a new CTA before I left.

Even on heavy motorway use (130 km/h - straight on) a durability of 10.000 / 13.000 km - I think that's superb!

For the next change I'm thinking of changing for the new Dunlop TR91. Changing meals makes taste, they say here... ;)

Old 07-31-2011, 11:38 PM   #179
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS_addict View Post
Hi,

I'm changing my 1150GS tyres and wondered whether after all these thoughts left in these years, you still prefer the Conti TA against the Tourance. I'm more into day-to-day road use, even though our roads are sometimes kind of riding off-road :P

Thanks

You can't realy compare them. The Metzeler is an 'diagonal' based tyre (the way the 'canvas', the inside structure, of the tires are woven) where the Conti is (if I don't mistake) is an 'radial' based tyre.

On a Honda, f.e., diagonal based tires can be a real pain in the you know which place, causing shimmy in the steeringbar, where the same bike put on 'radial' tires runs like a train on tracks.

On mud or sand the TA's are useless. But on hard, unpaved roads or gravel you won't have any troubles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
I'm on my 4th rear CTA right now. Achieved over 10.000 miles on the three previous ones, but have been using the bike less for touring, but more for commuting the last winter due to the fact that I sold my car - so, a lot of mileage (140 km per day) motorway.

I had to replace the rear tyre (worn down) after 10.000 km (6.250 miles); most likely I could have done another apr. 3.000 km (1.850 miles) with it, but chances that I would need to replace the tire during my trip to Slovakia and the Czech Republic made me making the change for a new CTA before I left.

Even on heavy motorway use (130 km/h - straight on) a durability of 10.000 / 13.000 km - I think that's superb!

For the next change I'm thinking of changing for the new Dunlop TR91. Changing meals makes taste, they say here... ;)
I changed my mind. In the fore-last edition of Motorrad (after Bike the 2nd largest motorcycle magazine on the Planet) they published their annual big trail bike tires test. The Dunlop TR91 came out best (the Conti Trail Attack came out best last year). The TA came out 2nd best. Difference? Dunlop overall score 421 points, the Conti only one point less: 420.

Biggest disadvantage of the Dunlop: the short live span. Which is the biggest advantage of the Conti. I'll take for granted the fact that the TA looses (just minor) on wet surfaces. Living in a wet North Sea climate, I never considered this as faulthy on the Conti TA's. Doing over 10.000 miles each year on these tires, I don't have the money (left) to change tires twice a year despite the good credits the Dunlop gets on road handling and grip.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:32 PM   #180
Trumper
Eclectic Dilettante

Oddometer: 508
I was a firm believer in the TAs and probably went through about 8 sets. I did notice that the rears are made in Germany, the fronts in Korea.

But a while ago, I got a front with the dreaded wobble on decel. It was pronounced. So much so that I took it back to the shop and did get a partial refund.

I tried Anakee 2 and didn't think much of them: Tourance and TAs were much better in dry and dirt I thought.

So I went back to TAs. Guess what? After about 2,000 miles, the front developed the decel wobble again. I took 'em off in disgust and went back to Tourance.

My experience with Tourance in the past was that they were fine overall, just not a good as the TAs. But I still got that old "greasy un-confidence" feelling when out on the edges. 90% of my riding is road and I tend to take tires out to the edges. The Tourance feedback is just...like they are gonna let go? slippery? I'm not sure, but it's disconcerting. I have them down to about 75% wear now and last weekend in the Sierras I got a couple of those "uh-oh" feelings when pushing to the edges. I took it down a notch or two from then on. That's really disconcerting; I *never* had that feeling with the TAs.

It's too bad Continental feels the need to have the front made in Korea. With two bad tires now, I'll never go back until I hear they have that sorted. I've seen quite a few reports of this "decel wobble" now and I take it there's something about those tires that come from Korea....

I'm thinking of trying a TA on the rear and a Tourance up front as the Metzeler seems to be fine up there--the greasy feeling seems to come from the rear.