Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #241
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by BordenBmw View Post
Ongoing trail attack test... there' s a new trailattack in town... the trailattack 2

http://translate.google.ca/translate...ed=0CDUQ7gEwAA
Glad to see ya still kickin! Considering you live no more then about ten miles from me, we should try to meet up this summer sometime!

I think I would like to maybe try the trail attack 2's. IF they come out before riding time hits.
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #242
BordenBmw
TheFrenchRider

Oddometer: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppypyro View Post
Glad to see ya still kickin! Considering you live no more then about ten miles from me, we should try to meet up this summer sometime!

I think I would like to maybe try the trail attack 2's. IF they come out before riding time hits.
My bike came with trail attack. 90/10 tire, excellent on the road and good off road but stay away from mud and wet grass! Yes, we should really go for ride sometime.

BordenBmw screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 12:06 AM
BordenBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:23 AM   #243
walrond
Earth Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milosh View Post
I just put these on my X-Country and I have to say they are the worst tires I've ever put on a bike.

Either my bike is too light or I got a bad set of tires because I can't get heat into them. There is nearly no grip on road surfaces at all. The front is always hunting for grip.

Yesterday I rode in the rain and had more 'moments' than I care to remember. It was like riding on ice. As others have pointed out, they aren't very good (read: awful) on the dirt either.

I'll probably go back to the Tourances unless someone has a better idea.
I would like to know the manufacture date of the tires you received. Could they be old stock that has started to harden? While you have a lighter bike, I don't think it would cause that much of a difference.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #244
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 454
I rode my 20 mile commute to work today in absolutely driving rain on oily L.A. freeways (because I'm a geek and wanted to try out my new rain gear ) and never had a single "moment" at all. So, YMMV.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #245
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
Did 130 km today (from which 20 km on the motorway, rest countryroads) in heavy rain and partly 'mud' flooded. Never felt more secure than with the TA. Had to adjust the speed just a little - without the need of riding the bike 'slow'.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #246
bacougle
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Cointi Trail Attack are Crap!

Well, well, well.

Just finished riding from Canada to Argentina May 2012. Rode most of the trip on Metzeler Tourance (the best tire on the market for Vstroms!) and the last 8000km on a brand new f*$^ed Conti that I bought in Ecuador at a recommended shop (Went to City Moto for a new front tire. Got a Continential Trail Attack and a shitty vibration problem at the same time, weird? Willy did not fix my problem or take the likely defective tire back so I kept my Tourance with me too)

After 1000 km on the Conti hoping I could wear off what ever defect was on the tire (couldn't) I switched back to my old tourance and carried the Conti for another 6000 km before I changed it out. Damn extra weight. But we all know it's tough to just chuck a new tire especially when you don't know if you will find another tire to fit in Peru (definitely can find on in Lima) or Bolivia (not likely). Nice surprise to get another 6000 km out of the Tourance (about 22,000km total).

Of course I was so mad that I contacted Conti to which they replied lovingly that they would help and asked me a series of questions. I responded dilgiently and their emails stopped dead. I sent 2 or 3 more emails and received one saying they don't supply Conti in Argentina (funny I wasn't even in Argentina at the time, bastards).

So now I'm a Conti hater and encourage all of you to get on board as a company that doesn't support their product is not a company I want to support.

See my gear page to check out the vibration problem video at 50km/h (Worth a watch!!!). I also replaced bearings and had the wheel balanced 4 times to try to fix the problem. More cost to me, thanks Conti.

http://thelifeofbrad.blogspot.com.ar...ith-me-to.html

I am now back on a Tourance and loving it. I have no problems at all!!! I never would have cheated on Metz if I could have found one in Quito.

cheers,
Brad - Conti hater
www.thelifeofbrad.blogspot.com
bacougle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:48 PM   #247
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

@ Brad... Do I understand you correctly... You did replace only the front tire for a Conti and kept the Tourance rear?

Riding with two different tires can cause shimmy; on some bike more than on others. Even riding with two different types of tires of the same brand...

Great ride by the way!

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Old 04-08-2013, 02:10 AM   #248
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

New Conti Trail Attack II

Both bikes are now running on brand new Conti's TA II since last week.

First impressions...:

The new TA's are fitted with 'Traction Skinn'. Read: no more 'Oh Sh*t' moments due to the slippery silicone layer on new tires... ;)

Haven't been riding much with them; but will be cruising the UK and Ireland next month so the Isle's rain & cold weather climate will provide the perfect testground for the upcomming miles!

I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:50 AM   #249
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,671
I am now on my 2nd front and 4th rear TA on my KLR - love them. Gone the Anakee, Avon etc route and TA's are by far the best on -road and longevity tire.

No vibration after balancing with any of them.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:29 AM   #250
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Trail attack II - first experiences...

The first 1.500 km are done, from which the last 500 under hard conditions: steep climbs up to 30% in the Lake District, bad road surfaces covered with dirt, gravel and water, and fully loaded (packed for a 3 week trip).

I feel so much confident with this new Conti! No chicken stripes at all - cornering them from the direct beginning thanks to the traction skin.

It was no secret that I loved the MK1 too, but this new Trail Attack 2 really is exceeding my expectations for 200%. I am still curious what the TA2 will to on terms of livespan. The MK1 was, after all, good for at least 16.000 km (10.000 miles) and even on that level, replacement was not direct necessary...

Looking forward to the remaining tour the next 2,5 weeks which is still ahead of us. Today its off to catch the UK-Ireland ferry to Dublin.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:52 AM   #251
two trackin fool
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
Old 05-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #252
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by two trackin fool View Post
Impressions:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=884840

Old 05-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #253
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
The first 1.500 km are done, from which the last 500 under hard conditions: steep climbs up to 30% in the Lake District, bad road surfaces covered with dirt, gravel and water, and fully loaded (packed for a 3 week trip).

I feel so much confident with this new Conti! No chicken stripes at all - cornering them from the direct beginning thanks to the traction skin.

It was no secret that I loved the MK1 too, but this new Trail Attack 2 really is exceeding my expectations for 200%. I am still curious what the TA2 will to on terms of livespan. The MK1 was, after all, good for at least 16.000 km (10.000 miles) and even on that level, replacement was not direct necessary...

Looking forward to the remaining tour the next 2,5 weeks which is still ahead of us. Today its off to catch the UK-Ireland ferry to Dublin.
Thats great to hear, I ended up ordered the trail attack 2's.
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #254
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Twisty road, Cobblestones, a flooded road, algae and a 300 kg heavy Honda -
And the TA2 performed without any 'oops' or 'I've now got a damp spot in my undies' moment. I could never believe that the TA2 would exceed the expectations I had from its predecessor - the TA1 - but they have done it today.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #255
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

TA II in progress...

6.000 km (3.750 miles) down in 3 weeks under various conditions: Rain, even snow, steep mountain passes, fully loaded, highway, and (very) battered road conditions in Ireland.

The TA II is the better choice. Don't be tricked with the TA I out of stock. Date of manufacturing should be at least 2013 - March. On the side it says 'Trailattack 2', so any mix-ups can be avoided.

Got the impression that the tire is slightly more sensible for irregularities in lengthwise direction; but generally spoken... I love them.

We are now planning a 2-up trip to the South of France somewhere in high summer (apr 3.000 km / 1.875 miles in one week) on motorways and route national. Keep you posted on the progress.