ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 187 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 09-16-2008, 07:04 AM   #136
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,267
It seems like it would be fairly simple for anyone with minimal electronics skills to make a hardwire power supply for anything with a USB connector (cell phone, GPS, iPod etc), since they are all 5V.

It irks me that everywhere we turn vendors are hammering us for upwards of $30 for what is basically a $2.99 part. You can buy USB cables on Fleabay for a couple of bucks all day long.

I have seen the same cigarette lighter to USB adapter for sale from $2.99 to $29.99. Can you say markup?

A 5V regulator is about this simple

wire a USB lead to the output side and its done.
azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:16 AM   #137
Garand
Keeper of Useful Sarcasms

Oddometer: 679
I used my XOG this weekend to run the Arkansas section of the TAT. Functionally it worked great, easy enough to create the route in MapSelect, easy to download and use while on the road.

I had originally planned to use the non-turn by turn mode of navigation, but at a whim gave the TbT mode a try with the route. It worked great, never did it try to route me around anything, it just followed right along the planned route.

Now for the bad news.

I ride a 990 Adventure, have the XOG mounted on the dash with the RAM cradle. I use a 12" Powerlet to mini-usb cable plugged in to the stock Powerlet port on the bike. Everything has worked pretty well for the last 6 months. This weekend was the 1st long duration offroad ride I've taken. By the end of day 1 the power connection was getting to be a problem. I thought the connections (USB) were getting dirty and causing failure, after cleaning everything with no improvement I started looking at how snug the connection was. I could wobble around the plug and get the power to fail.. so i tried to tighten up the connection. no real help. By the time I finished Day 2 of offroad the power connection was very hit and miss. I was having to stop, hold the connection still until I could determine the next few turns of the route.

The entire trip I was thinking the problem was the Powerlet cable, but once home and plugging the XOG into another cable I realized the problem was on the unit itself.

Luckily I live in the same town as Lowrance, they want me to bring the unit in for testing. I'll report how that goes.

So after that long story, does anyone found any better options for keeping the unit powered up in more harsh environments?
Garand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:33 AM   #138
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand

The entire trip I was thinking the problem was the Powerlet cable, but once home and plugging the XOG into another cable I realized the problem was on the unit itself.

Luckily I live in the same town as Lowrance, they want me to bring the unit in for testing. I'll report how that goes.

So after that long story, does anyone found any better options for keeping the unit powered up in more harsh environments?
That is why I cut a hole in the Rubber flap and with a little silicone to keep the flap shut, it holds the USB connector very tight, and I have done a bunch of all off road rides, I even made a sunshield and use a rubber band cut from an old tube that goes around the XOG and holds it all together, very slick and no problems.

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:33 PM   #139
Garand

I remember seeing the pic of your 90 degree connector and think that would help by itself because it can be secured easier than the straight style on the powerlet cable I'm running.

I think I'll give that a try next.

do you have a pic of the power side of your XOG with the power removed?

thanks
Old 09-24-2008, 02:56 PM   #140
jonb
Montana Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
I have the right angle usb power connection and..

With the RAM mount, the usb end doesn't seem quite long enough to engage fully even with the rubber peeled back. I haven't ridden it in a bad vibration situation yet. Maybe a light silicone will help hold it in.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:06 PM   #141
rwamf
Follow me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb
With the RAM mount, the usb end doesn't seem quite long enough to engage fully even with the rubber peeled back. I haven't ridden it in a bad vibration situation yet. Maybe a light silicone will help hold it in.
Yes take a file to the ram mount , simple solution, easy fix

rwamf homepage
Old 09-25-2008, 10:49 AM   #142
jonb
Montana Adventurer

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into that tonight. Also,

I loaded a 2GB card into the GPS and tried to register the GPS at Mapselect. I got the windows prompt recognizing the device and providing a drive but when I hit the go to MapSelect it comes back that MapSelect can't be found.
I suspect a card error, what do you think? I could always buy a 1GB card and try it. They are a little sensitive to this it would appear. 2 of the same card side by side and one will work and one won't.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:20 PM   #143
Garand

Quote:

I dropped the XOG off at Lowrance on Tuesday for service, the called me yesterday telling me it was ready for pickup. I ran by a few mins ago to pick it up.. in the box I found a brand new unit complete with all the mounts/cables/documentaion.

Can't complain about that level of service!!!
Old 09-29-2008, 09:17 PM   #144
jonb
Montana Adventurer

Mixed review for the new GPS-Robert are you out there?

Robert:
I did a 300 mile dirt trip this weekend. I drove 50 miles before turning the XOG on. I have not added any maps. I turned on the GPS and then headed up a dirt road for 30 miles and it did not acquire. I stopped facing south and just got a blinking of the last place it acquired-back at home. I tried for another 10 minutes. I stopped up on the top of a mountain next and tried again. It acquired quickly and stayed pretty locked in until I turned it off. Later that day when I fired it back up it would not acquire. I drove 60 mile on the interstate and watched the satelitte screen and it just blinked. There were 10 satelites on the grid but all white on the bar graph vs blue showing its trying to acquire. I stopped out in the big sky twice and nothing. I gave up and shut her down and 12 hours later I fired it up and it acquired in 2 minutes at the house. I have the 1.6 version. I will install the update soon.
Do you know any acquiring tricks with this machine?
Do you know if there is any difference between the version I have and the new ones aside from the 1.7 programing change?
It was kind of frustrating driving home on the freeway at night with a blinking position and a map of where I was last time it acquired.
I called lowrance and spoke with a tech rep who knew less about it than i did but assured me if I wanted to send it back she would replace it. That is why i am wondering if there is a difference between the 1.6 vintage and the 1.7 aside from the new download.
My buddies say you get what you pay for, Jon. I say I am not satisfied that I know all the tricks and I haven't given it a chance.
So, let me know if you have any acquireing tricks please and thanks for any info you have on the productions of this model.

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:28 AM   #145
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Quote:
I dropped the XOG off at Lowrance on Tuesday for service, the called me yesterday telling me it was ready for pickup. I ran by a few mins ago to pick it up.. in the box I found a brand new unit complete with all the mounts/cables/documentaion.

Can't complain about that level of service!!!
By way of contrast, I recently sent an email for tech support. I was having a software issue where MapCreate was refusing to start. A week later I have received no help from Lowrance at all. I eventually found a solution on the web.

I am happy with the unit but underwhelmed by the support.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:36 AM   #146
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb
I called lowrance and spoke with a tech rep who knew less about it than i did but assured me if I wanted to send it back she would replace it.
Why not just get it swapped out? New cables and warranty ...

I have only ever had one acquisition issue - a couple of days ago in Yosemite, the XOG kept my position calculated but not my ground speed. Since I had to have a chat with a Park Ranger about that very issue, the timing could have been better ...
He let me slide and as soon as I got a bit more sky the speed was back on screen. Other than that, it pulled five satellites from my downstairs motel room.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #147
woodyklr
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Xog

Bass Pro Shops has the XOG for $159, and it's on their web site, too.

http://tinyurl.com/3hok3m
woodyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:44 AM   #148
RockiesTwin
Dfrag y0ur BrAin

Oddometer: 138
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyklr
Bass Pro Shops has the XOG for $159, and it's on their web site, too.

http://tinyurl.com/3hok3m
Just Ordered one of these and am actually rather excited!! Thanks everyone for the excellent information and postings. It all really helped me finally decide on my 1st GPS. I've been hesitant for so long to jump in for various reasons but considering the ruggedness - size - and $$$ I decided to put the trigger.

Now I get about a month to learn it before heading into Central America. (Yes I don't expect the base maps to help too much BUT at least it can tell me where I am *LOL*)
RockiesTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:23 PM   #149
SilvrSRT10
Adv Wannabe

Oddometer: 6
Amazon Has Them

Amazon has two left at $169.99 with free supersaver shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Lowrance-000-0.../dp/B000Y1X4EO
SilvrSRT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:51 PM   #150
rwamf
Follow me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubars
I just ordered a XOG from Cabella's. In the meantime, I'd like to figure out how to convert GPX files to the USR format. I have a few on file on my desktop. I downloaded the zip file from GPSBabel already, but I'm stuck right there. I'm already familiar on how to drag a GPX file onto a Garmin Mapsource window. Is this kind of the same thing I do with a USR file?
Just open GPS Babel and on the input select "GPX XML" and select the "gpx" file you want to convert, set the output to "Lowrance USR" name it and hit "Lets Go"

rwamf homepage