ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 145 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 11-09-2008, 02:49 PM   #151
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,719
Nice. I did figure out how to put that on my desktop right after I asked that question. I'm impressed with all the software it works with.
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:29 AM   #152
RockiesTwin
Dfrag y0ur BrAin

Oddometer: 138
Local Help

I"m a GPS newb and am running into a time crunch and am wondering if there is anyone in/around Denver that would have some time/willingness to sit down and show me the ups/downs of the XOG ? I'm curious if it's at all possible to load something like Google Maps as a basemap or overlay ??? For central America?? I have all the paper maps but it would be really nice to have something that shows me (approximately) near what road I'm lost on :)

Thanks
RockiesTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:43 AM   #153
klrmtn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf
If you get the Hardwire connector from the Mountguys take the two small philips screws out and put two big globs of silicone on the large copper winding to hold it down, as it will vibrate and quit working over a short period of time if you don't.
Do you mean on the wire from mountgusys? There is the black box in the middle of the cable, that is what should be modified? Mine is in the mail, should be here soon. Thanks for all of the info on this thread.
klrmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:47 PM   #154
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by klrmtn
Do you mean on the wire from mountgusys? There is the black box in the middle of the cable, that is what should be modified? Mine is in the mail, should be here soon. Thanks for all of the info on this thread.
Yes the "Mount Guy's" Hard wire Power adapter.
as soon as you get it you will see what to do.
R

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 02:56 PM   #155
Moraflex
Banned

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockiesTwin
I"m a GPS newb and am running into a time crunch and am wondering if there is anyone in/around Denver that would have some time/willingness to sit down and show me the ups/downs of the XOG ? I'm curious if it's at all possible to load something like Google Maps as a basemap or overlay ??? For central America?? I have all the paper maps but it would be really nice to have something that shows me (approximately) near what road I'm lost on :)

Thanks
I highly doubt Google maps can be imported into the XOG. They are very sensitive and have proprietary maps for the XOG. Also the maps from map Select are encoded with the serial number of the unit and can not be used in any other XOG. Map create maps can be used in any XOG. Map create7.0 covers the entire world, but everything outside the US is only highways with no Hwy names or small roads. I woud call LEI.com and query them.
Moraflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 03:04 PM   #156
Moraflex
Banned

Oddometer: 1,342
XOG creates routes off road

I was pleasantly surprised when my XOG plotted a precise course completely off road. I really did not expect it to do that. Good job Lowrance
Moraflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:41 PM   #157
fendermon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
I just bought one...Great deal at Cabellas. Love the size; does a terrific job of music, reasonable screen and good interface. Don't have much road time with it yet.

A couple questions to those in the know..

Do these lose the ability to lock on in heavy clouds? I went all day today trying with no luck. My Garmin Vista took the foul, snowy weather in stride, no problem. Also, I made a mapselect account (confirmed by Lowrance/Navico E-mail)but it isn't recognized when I try to log in. I know I was logged in as limited user on my pc when I registered, could that affect it? - Thanks much for any help.. and this thread has been a tremendous resource, Dale

Sow a seed of only 19.95 today!

fendermon screwed with this post 11-25-2008 at 07:56 PM
fendermon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:20 AM   #158
rwamf
Follow me

Quote:
Originally Posted by fendermon

Do these lose the ability to lock on in heavy clouds? I went all day today trying with no luck.
Also, I made a mapselect account (confirmed by Lowrance/Navico E-mail)but it isn't recognized when I try to log in. I know I was logged in as limited user on my pc when I registered, could that affect it? - Thanks much for any help.. and this thread has been a tremendous resource, Dale
Mine works in heavy rain, clouds, heavy tree cover etc, better than my Garmin
Don't do the mapselect so can't help you there, ( Too expensive for me)
I get all the downloads I want with the new Delorme Subscription service, $30 a year.
So my XOG might not get as much use now.

rwamf homepage
Old 11-26-2008, 08:56 AM   #159
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,174
Quote:
Mine works in heavy rain, clouds, heavy tree cover etc, better than my Garmin
Don't do the mapselect so can't help you there, ( Too expensive for me)
I get all the downloads I want with the new Delorme Subscription service, $30 a year.
So my XOG might not get as much use now.
My XOG also has impressive lock ability. Picks up many sats even when well indoors.

What advantage does the subscription service offer, when MapCreate 7 already has topo of every state?
azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:03 AM   #160
rwamf
Follow me

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkiwi

What advantage does the subscription service offer, when MapCreate 7 already has topo of every state?
Satellite Images, USGS quads etc, very cool but $$$$$$ for large areas.
r

rwamf homepage
Old 11-26-2008, 11:49 AM   #161
fendermon
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks,

Mine went from impressive reception, even indoors, to none.....hmmmm

Old 11-27-2008, 09:56 AM   #162
Jeffh555
F'n n00b

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Satellite Images, USGS quads etc, very cool but $$$$$$ for large areas.
r
Just to clarify, is this screenshot a sat image from mapselect or Delorme that you've loaded onto your XOG? how expensive are the mapselect maps?
Old 11-27-2008, 10:11 AM   #163
rwamf
Follow me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffh555
Just to clarify, is this screenshot a sat image from mapselect or Delorme that you've loaded onto your XOG? how expensive are the mapselect maps?
NEGATIVE, That is from a "MapSelect" down load I did last year , I only downloaded $20 worth for an area I had planned on exploring this past summer.
Other than that I have not re-registered with them, and now that I have the Delorme subscription and the new Delorme PN-40 , I do not see a need for the expensive MapSelect service.
You can only use Lowrance stuff with Lowrance and Delorme only with Delorme.
Images on the GPS are not as handy as the images in the PC program, that is where the Delorme shines

rwamf homepage
Old 11-29-2008, 09:22 AM   #164
Cyclepath
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by fendermon
I just bought one...Great deal at Cabellas. Love the size; does a terrific job of music, reasonable screen and good interface. Don't have much road time with it yet.

Do these lose the ability to lock on in heavy clouds? I went all day today trying with no luck. My Garmin Vista took the foul, snowy weather in stride, no problem. Also, I made a mapselect account (confirmed by Lowrance/Navico E-mail)but it isn't recognized when I try to log in. I know I was logged in as limited user on my pc when I registered, could that affect it? - Thanks much for any help.. and this thread has been a tremendous resource, Dale
hey fendermon, i had a some problems with the first xog i had. it would barely lock on and took forever. i did a online return number thingy from ther web site and sent it in to them. they sent me a brand new one.
this one logs onto sats in my basement :-) it never loses signals while outside. maybe you got a bad one too. i like my xog way beter then any garmin i have ever had.

cyclepath
Cyclepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:55 PM   #165
fendermon
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks cyclepath,

Glad yours xog is back in business! Mine is toast. It's as if someone reached in it and unplugged the antenna. The processor is fine, but no signals at all. I'll give them a call. - Dale