ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 136 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 06:56 PM   #166
walstib
DeadHead

Oddometer: 174
Hey now,

I just got an XOG at Bass Pro Shop for 160 bucks. Real nice unit. I had the old iWay 100M for a few years. I was trying to load tracks and did that fine using GPSBabel, but my address book keeps filling up with waypoints????? While in GPSBabel I have converted checking tracks only and still get the waypoints in the address book. Is it because I am using the Mac version of GPSBabel? MaybeI should try a PC version??? I'll keep playing with it. The new mini-usb cord is kinda funky, it is a 90 degree bend, but it is upwards not towards the back. Weird.
Greenville, IN
KL650A19 ZG1000A16 KAF300C
What A Long Strange Trip It's Been
walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:49 AM   #167
fendermon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Make any headway yet?...(bump)

Sow a seed of only 19.95 today!
fendermon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:03 AM   #168
Big Toe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Canadian Maps

Hi,
I'm new to the GPS thing. Are Canadian maps avalalbe for this unit? There are Canadian dealers but I don't see anything on there website about Canadian maps.
Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:20 AM   #169
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by acormier7
Hi,
I'm new to the GPS thing. Are Canadian maps avalalbe for this unit? There are Canadian dealers but I don't see anything on there website about Canadian maps.
The XOG comes with US and Canada NavTech Maps, at least mine has full detailed maps for Canada.

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:26 PM   #170
Big Toe
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm thinking this may be a good choice for my V-Strom, at least 90% paved roads with a bit of gravel road, fire roads thrown in.
I want a gps that is some what waterproof, turn-by-turn direction with an MP3 player for the long trips. It'll be used in my car also.
I'm thinking this would be a good choice. A Zumo 450 or 550 are way out of my budget.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:49 PM   #171
Big Toe
Gnarly Adventurer

For us Canadians, Bass Pro Shop in Toronto has it on sale till Dec, 24 for $159.99 Can. down from $269.99 Can, which is about $125.00 US. That's a bargin for us Canadians who generally get screwed on pricing. I don't know if Bass Pro Shop in Canada Ship there product's.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...tab&storeID=11
Old 12-16-2008, 08:59 PM   #172
JimNtexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
I've been pretty happy with the XOG I bought in June, until this week.

It seems my battery (sealed in the unit) is pretty much dead. It can hold a charge only a few minutes.

In and of itself, this isn't really a big deal. Batteries can die in any application.

My problem is that as near as I can tell there is no tech support from Lowrance. They have a number you can call, and a web form you can fill out. Unfortunately, the phone number always hangs up on me after 20 minutes on hold, and they seem to ignore the web mail form.

They claim on their web page, their 'on hold' message, and on the autoresponse from the web form that you can get an RMA on the web, but that's a lie.

I fully expected that this wouldn't be a big deal, I'm sure their techs could swap the battery out in a few seconds.

Sadly, their management seems unwilling to give out RMAs.

I can't recommend any company with this level of non-support, even when the basic product is a good one.
JimNtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:29 PM   #173
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNtexas

It seems my battery (sealed in the unit) is pretty much dead. It can hold a charge only a few minutes.

In and of itself, this isn't really a big deal. Batteries can die in any application.

My problem is that as near as I can tell there is no tech support from Lowrance. They have a number you can call, and a web form you can fill out. Unfortunately, the phone number always hangs up on me after 20 minutes on hold, and they seem to ignore the web mail form.

They claim on their web page, their 'on hold' message, and on the autoresponse from the web form that you can get an RMA on the web, but that's a lie.

I fully expected that this wouldn't be a big deal, I'm sure their techs could swap the battery out in a few seconds.

I can't recommend any company with this level of non-support, even when the basic product is a good one.
I called them 3 weeks ago about my Iway 600c that the touch screen was screwing up, they gave me a RMA over the phone, I sent it in and in a week I got a brand new unit back, Pretty damm fine service for me
May be they are all on a xmas break?????

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:43 AM   #174
DaymienRules
Traffic target

Oddometer: 197
My xog totally lost all satellite reception, got an RMA over the phone and a new unit about 2 weeks later. The phone rep even owned a xog himself. I was really impressed with their customer service.

Regarding the battery-after taking mine apart I found the battery looks VERY similar to an ipod battery(same connector too), and some cell phone batteries. I'd bet an replacement could be found on ebay for less than 10 bucks shipped. And for any rebel DIYers out there-it looks like there is room inside the unit to install a higher capacity battery. Especially if you unglue the speaker and move it over a bit.
DaymienRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:24 AM   #175
Big Toe
Gnarly Adventurer

What's an RMA ?
Old 12-17-2008, 11:30 AM   #176
DaymienRules
Traffic target

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
What's an RMA ?
probably a typo that we all copied. I meant an RA# for Return Authorization
DaymienRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:14 PM   #177
jstcrashnthru
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 1,211
Quote:
What's an RMA ?
Return Merchandise Authorization.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:21 PM   #178
Cyclepath
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNtexas

i'm not sure why you think this is a lie. i have had some problems with one of my units "i have three" i got my rma number from there web site and sent it to them. i had a brand new unit on my front porch in three weeks. cyclepath
Cyclepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:12 PM   #179
walstib
DeadHead

Oddometer: 174
Still having my address book load lots of waypoints

Hey Now,

Well, tried converting a route saved as a .gpx file through GPSBabel (pc version this time). Selected waypoints and tracks like Robert's screenshot and my address book loaded hundreds of waypoints. I reset the whole unit to get rid of the waypoints in the address book, then converted the same .gpx file and only selected tracks. Same thing. I keep getting the waypoints loading up in the address book???? Any suggestions guys? Thanks in advance.

Also on a side note, I copied some MP3 files onto a couple of different SD cards and I noticed I get a ghost file with a .- in front of every song file. These do not have any bits of data, just renamed files???? So when they get selected they do not play, the unit just stops playing.
Greenville, IN
KL650A19 ZG1000A16 KAF300C
What A Long Strange Trip It's Been
walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:20 PM   #180
JimNtexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclepath
i'm not sure why you think this is a lie. i have had some problems with one of my units "i have three" i got my rma number from there web site and sent it to them. i had a brand new unit on my front porch in three weeks. cyclepath
I finally got through to Lowrance. Maybe its not a 'lie', but they have introduced new software, and that feature is not currently operative.

The good news about Lowrance is that their tech support is in Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA.

The fellow I talked too was very knowledgeable about the XOG, and instantly said I needed a new unit. The poor guy was also only barely clinging to his sanity.

The reason they are so far behind is a combination of two things:

1) New customer support software that they haven't completely groked.

2) Tulsa is covered in ice, and most of the staff couldn't get to work this week.

The poor fellow was really about to lose it. Every time he entered data he would say something like 'I'm going to the next page, I hope this works', or, 'I'm really lucky to have made it to work alive today', or 'Tulsa can't deal with ice', or 'Why did it do that?'

Eventually he got my RMA number, so I'm now a happy camper.

The delay wasn't really Lowrance's fault, it was more of an Act of God.

He said they are running behind, but I should have my replacement unit within a month of my sending the bad one in.
JimNtexas is offline   Reply With Quote