ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 172 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 12-18-2008, 04:42 PM   #181
Moraflex
Banned

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by walstib
Hey Now,

Well, tried converting a route saved as a .gpx file through GPSBabel (pc version this time). Selected waypoints and tracks like Robert's screenshot and my address book loaded hundreds of waypoints. I reset the whole unit to get rid of the waypoints in the address book, then converted the same .gpx file and only selected tracks. Same thing. I keep getting the waypoints loading up in the address book???? Any suggestions guys? Thanks in advance.

Also on a side note, I copied some MP3 files onto a couple of different SD cards and I noticed I get a ghost file with a .- in front of every song file. These do not have any bits of data, just renamed files???? So when they get selected they do not play, the unit just stops playing.
Here is an idea you might try. It keeps the address book clean for me. GPSBabel from GPX to USR and name the file, then open the USR file in Lowrance MapCreate software to make sure its OK (optional). Then, on your computer, take the USR file and save it to your XOG card via a card reader or just use the unit itself. Then go into the XOG and (off the top of my head here) go into the options menu and "Save or Upload data", find that file on your card and upload it.

I keep hundreds of routes in a "USR" folder on my desktop. When I go to Utah for instance, I load all the Utah files on the XOG flash card and pull them as needed during the trip. Works great.
Moraflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:53 PM   #182
walstib
DeadHead

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moraflex
Here is an idea you might try. It keeps the address book clean for me. GPSBabel from GPX to USR and name the file, then open the USR file in Lowrance MapCreate software to make sure its OK (optional). Then, on your computer, take the USR file and save it to your XOG card via a card reader or just use the unit itself. Then go into the XOG and (off the top of my head here) go into the options menu and "Save or Upload data", find that file on your card and upload it.

I keep hundreds of routes in a "USR" folder on my desktop. When I go to Utah for instance, I load all the Utah files on the XOG flash card and pull them as needed during the trip. Works great.
Hey Now,

Thanks for the reply. Do I understand you correctly, in that I should open the usr file in MapCreate, then save the just opened file from MapCreate to the SD card? I have only been copying the usr file directly to the SD card.

I don't have a copy of MapCreate anymore, I had one from my iWay 100M, but had an unfortunate incident with it. So I will need to buy another copy and have to try this out.
Greenville, IN
KL650A19 ZG1000A16 KAF300C
What A Long Strange Trip It's Been
walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:04 AM   #183
Big Toe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
When I got home last night my XOG was waiting for me. This is my first GPS. Looks like a neat little unit. I would like to mount it just above the steering stem some how on my V-Strom. Any idea's?
Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:46 AM   #184
MGB
ex. BmwDuc

Oddometer: 1,890
I recently got one too, and plan on using my ram mount (already on the bike) and buying the ram mount designed to hold the XOG.

I've got mine (currently an older GPS unit) left of center so it's doens't block any gauges.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:12 PM   #185
Moraflex
Banned

Quote:
Hey Now,

Thanks for the reply. Do I understand you correctly, in that I should open the usr file in MapCreate, then save the just opened file from MapCreate to the SD card? I have only been copying the usr file directly to the SD card.

I don't have a copy of MapCreate anymore, I had one from my iWay 100M, but had an unfortunate incident with it. So I will need to buy another copy and have to try this out.
I am at work answering this without the unit in hand.
You can bypass MapCreate and do it. However I really need to get the unit in hand to retrace my steps. If I remember correctly, when I drew a route on MapCreate then exported it to the GPS device it listed all the way points in the address book. That's a pain in the ass because you have to delete one way point at a time.

I'll go mess with it this weekend and report back to you Walstib.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:33 PM   #186
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Hey Now,

Well, tried converting a route saved as a .gpx file through GPSBabel (pc version this time). Selected waypoints and tracks like Robert's screenshot and my address book loaded hundreds of waypoints. I reset the whole unit to get rid of the waypoints in the address book, then converted the same .gpx file and only selected tracks. Same thing. I keep getting the waypoints loading up in the address book???? Any suggestions guys? Thanks in advance.

Also on a side note, I copied some MP3 files onto a couple of different SD cards and I noticed I get a ghost file with a .- in front of every song file. These do not have any bits of data, just renamed files???? So when they get selected they do not play, the unit just stops playing.
If you convert "ROUTES" you will get waypoints added to the addressbook, I don't mess with routes, I ONLY USE TRACKS, much easier and cleaner.
I have "usr" files with 50-80 tracks in them, GPSBABEL will only convert what you have, if you have a track file "gpx" and convert it to "usr" and check "routes and not "tracks" you will still only get a track file in the conversion.
I make routes in my Delorme software and in there I can convert the route to a track file, works great.
I don't use it for MP3's so I don't know, I did put a few songs on the card and it worked no problems.

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:58 PM   #187
Big Toe
Gnarly Adventurer

I,
Does the USB cord to PC cord charge the battery too like an Ipod?
It's -20c out and I don't want to go out and plug it into the car.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:12 PM   #188
Moraflex
Banned

Walstib,
I tinkered with the XOG for a few minutes this morning.
When you copy a route into the XOG, do not allow the unit to plot that routes course, doing so automatically enters the way points into the address book. Rather, when you approach the area the route is at, just follow the red dots. I like to make all tracks/routes a solid red line. To do that you go to Options>My trails> (click on the trail) >Pattern, then put in ------------ and this tells it to go solid red. Another thing to keep in mind is the XOG can have up to 9999 way points per trail/track. Thats equal to about 250 miles of tracking per trail. very cool. Hope this helps
Old 12-20-2008, 02:17 PM   #189
Moraflex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by acormier7
I,
Does the USB cord to PC cord charge the battery too like an Ipod?
It's -20c out and I don't want to go out and plug it into the car.
Yes it does
Old 12-24-2008, 01:01 PM   #190
Big Toe
Gnarly Adventurer

Dumb question

I just got my XOG and ripped a bunch of cd's to put on a sd card. When I ripped them, they get saves as a wma and won't play. Can they be saved as an mp3 some how?
Thanks,
Old 12-24-2008, 01:15 PM   #191
JimNtexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by acormier7
I just got my XOG and ripped a bunch of cd's to put on a sd card. When I ripped them, they get saves as a wma and won't play. Can they be saved as an mp3 some how?
Thanks,
The XOG won't play WMA. It will play MP3. If you are using windows Media Player you can set it to rip mp3 in the options-rip music tab.

Another thing to know about the XOG is that you can create playlists also. The technique that works for me is to plug the SD card with my music into the XOG, connect the XOG to my windows computer, and create a playlist with MediaPlayer by dragging files from the XOG to Media player. Once I have my play list I 'save as' the playlist back to the XOG using the m3u format. The playlist will appear on the XOG and works fine.
JimNtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 03:04 PM   #192
Big Toe
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNtexas
The XOG won't play WMA. It will play MP3. If you are using windows Media Player you can set it to rip mp3 in the options-rip music tab.

Another thing to know about the XOG is that you can create playlists also. The technique that works for me is to plug the SD card with my music into the XOG, connect the XOG to my windows computer, and create a playlist with MediaPlayer by dragging files from the XOG to Media player. Once I have my play list I 'save as' the playlist back to the XOG using the m3u format. The playlist will appear on the XOG and works fine.
Jim,
Thanks for the tip's.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:25 PM   #193
Big Toe
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi,
Is the ball on the Ram Mount cradle for the XOG in the center? I'm ready to order one but I want to determine the length or the arm I need. I don't see the view of the rear of the cradle.
Thanks,
Old 12-27-2008, 04:23 PM   #194
mxdad23and331
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
vertically , below center about 3/4"
mxdad23and331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:39 PM   #195
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,294
I managed to score an XOG today for 120$ at cabellas. (149-30$ off purchase). I wanted to be able to put in tracks and whatnot to actually plan out a fun ride instead of my general getting lost on my own type of thing.

After much reading, espresso, and head scratching, I can't for the life of me get my file I have here to work properly with my GPS. Here is my rundown:

I received a GDB file for a Wisconsin trail ride. I've been trying every known possible combination of inputs\outputs for GPSBabel to make it export an appropriate file. No matter the combination of things I try, I can't seem to get it right. Each output file, I'm left with 2500+ or so addresses in my address book, or when loading the file onto the XOG, it halts half-way giving the "too much info" alarm.

I noticed that no matter what setting I use for translation with GPSBabel, my files when opened with the Lowrance GDM6 program only show waypoints.

Should I convert these files to GPX first and then convert to the USR file? Should I find some way of opening the Garmin Mapsource files? I'll be toying with this for the next hour or so or until I fall asleep at the keyboard here Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Andrew
andrewgore is online now   Reply With Quote