ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 172 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 09:57 AM   #211
Cyclepath
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgore
Cyclepath,
Talked with Lowrance. Looks like the unit will be sent back in. I'm not sure if\what the charges will be. At least this happened when the weather is crap and theres no desire to utilize the features of the GPS

Andrew
hi andrew, glad it happened during the crappy weather. they will probably just send you a new unit. seems like it is cheaper for them to do that then spend the time trying to fix the old one. anyway, glad you got ahold of them.
if you get lucky the new unit or repaired unit will have the latest software on it. ride safe....... cyclepath
Cyclepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #212
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,103
Has the battery life problems been fixed yet?
How long on battery can the XOG run?
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:26 PM   #213
Moraflex
Banned

Oddometer: 1,342
About 2 seconds....

I just ordered another XOG 1 hour ago for work purposes. I compared my current XOG side by side to an employees Garmin Nuvi, and the XOG, hands down, is a better unit. It has many more functions, options, lock on in doors, zoom out farther, show more or less POI's as needed, and is all around a better unit IMHO.
Moraflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:18 PM   #214
fendermon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Well, I'm a happy camper now. A functioning xog showed up on my doorstep. I sent mine in for service 2-3 weeks ago and hadn't heard a word from them. Don't know if I got a refurb as I lost the serial number of mine,opps. What I do know is this one is updated with a better map, and works great. yea Lowrance!

Sow a seed of only 19.95 today!
fendermon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:22 PM   #215
JimNtexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fendermon
Well, I'm a happy camper now. A functioning xog showed up on my doorstep. ....
Thanks for the update. I sent mine in for a new battery a couple of weeks ago, hopefully I'll have it back soon.

What with this 70-80F weather we're having Austin I've been riding a lot, and miss my GPS.
JimNtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #216
fendermon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Hi Jim ,

I think they will take care of you fine. They did right by me. I want to give a big thanks for your excellant videos, really good stuff. I watched them several times and that was a big reason I bought mine. It is a great unit near as I can tell. - ride safe, Dale

Sow a seed of only 19.95 today!
fendermon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:17 PM   #217
Big Toe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
I couple of questions. I'm new to this. I got my XOG at Christmas, It's my first GPS.
1- I have a copy of Map Source Topo Canada V2. Can I put this on a SD card and load it on my XOG?

2-I'm trying to make a track on Map Source to load on my XOG. I've done routes and you end up with a bunch of waypoint in or address book. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a good Lowrance forum that may explain this?
Thank for the help
Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:03 PM   #218
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,351
I couple of questions. I'm new to this. I got my XOG at Christmas, It's my first GPS.
1- I have a copy of Map Source Topo Canada V2. Can I put this on a SD card and load it on my XOG?

NO

2-I'm trying to make a track on Map Source to load on my XOG. I've done routes and you end up with a bunch of waypoint in or address book. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a good Lowrance forum that may explain this?
Routes do not work as you found out, but tracks saved as "gpx" and converted to "usr" in GPS BABEL do work great, in fact you can use full resolution tracks and can have up to 100 in one saved file, much better than the Garmin units , where you can only load 20 - 500 point tracks
and unlike Garmin where you can save to the SD card only, the XOG will save tracks to the card but also import back from the card.

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:11 AM   #219
Big Toe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Robert,
Hope I'm not being too much of a pain. I've downloaded some gpx files from ADV and converted them to .usr and they work great.
The problem I'm having now is when I create route on Map Source and save it as .gpx I get an error on GPS babbal saying,
"GPX: XML parse error at line 1 of 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\GPS files\de3.gpx' : not well-formed (invalid token)."
This is copied from GPS Babel output box. Any idea's?
Thanks again,
Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:16 AM   #220
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by acormier7
Robert,
Hope I'm not being too much of a pain. I've downloaded some gpx files from ADV and converted them to .usr and they work great.
The problem I'm having now is when I create route on Map Source and save it as .gpx I get an error on GPS babbal saying,
"GPX: XML parse error at line 1 of 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\GPS files\de3.gpx' : not well-formed (invalid token)."
This is copied from GPS Babel output box. Any idea's?
Thanks again,
Not a pain, But I am sorry I just don't do routes, Since the GPS will do its own routing when needed I do not mess with trying to convert any routes.
The XOG will let you add stops to any route it makes you just tap the screen to add a waypoint etc, very cool. never needed to make a route ahead of time.

rwamf homepage

rwamf screwed with this post 01-10-2009 at 09:29 AM
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:02 AM   #221
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oger
Has the battery life problems been fixed yet?
How long on battery can the XOG run?
Still asking. (unless 2 seconds was the answer )
Old 01-14-2009, 08:26 AM   #222
JimNtexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Still asking. (unless 2 seconds was the answer )
My XOG had a really short battery life, perhaps an hour. I bought a couple of battery packs with usb ports from woot.com for ten bucks, and used those on the few occasions when I was using it on foot. Each external pack would run it two or three hours.

Finally my battery life did in fact go down to two seconds, so I sent it in and expect a replacement real soon now.

In general, I'd say that the XOG isn't the best choice for use if you want a gps to use without external power.
JimNtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:07 AM   #223
Moraflex
Banned

IMHO the XOG should only be used with external power. It is not designed to be used on foot hiking. Even with the short battery life I have no problems. It's always plugged in.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:21 AM   #224
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

So the only way to power one on a "non-battery" bike like the KDX is to add a power converter?
Is there any less expensive than the $80 one from TT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrider
Thanks. I got one and used it today on a KDX200. I wired it to a cigarette socket from arrowheadmotorsports and used the cig lighter that came with the XOG. Works great! I just mounted it all behind the KDX's headlight.

Ogre_fl screwed with this post 01-14-2009 at 09:53 AM
Old 01-14-2009, 09:33 AM   #225
Moraflex
Banned

I went to http://www.powerletproducts.com/ and had them make me a custom cable. I believe I paid $45.00.

That big old auto plug (female receptical) you have there can be replaced with a powerlet plug 1/3 it's size. BMW's and KTM's run this power plug. Much cleaner IMHO.

Quote:
So the only way to power one on a bike like the KDX is to add a power converter?
Is there any less expensive than the $80 one from TT?