ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 136 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 08:05 AM   #256
datol
n00b and improved!

Oddometer: 93
My mistake, I do have the mountguys adapter, I will do that fix before installing it.

I had zero problems with the ant., acquired a signal fast, seemed to work fine. I will keep that in mind if it acts up, I can always take more metal off.

Dane

We learn nothing from the things we do right the first time.
datol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:29 PM   #257
Big Toe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Nice Mount

Nice Mount. I'm a tool and die maker but too many projects to make nice mounts like that. What hold's the gps in the mount?
Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:48 PM   #258
datol
n00b and improved!

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by acormier7
Nice Mount. I'm a tool and die maker but too many projects to make nice mounts like that. What hold's the gps in the mount?
I have two strips of Velcro on the back. I know it is decidedly low-tech, but seemed to hold just fine for 50 miles of rough roads this weekend. the two holes in the bottom are to remove the unit from the housing.

I need to pull it off to machine a slot for the power adapter on the right side, then probably cut the rubber cover to fit the power cord.

Dane

We learn nothing from the things we do right the first time.
datol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:09 AM   #259
lawyer1219
Pair-a-Dice

Oddometer: 107
Topo Map not loading?

Dumb noob question here:
I am a complete GPS neophyte. Just got my XOG and the Mapcreate 7.0. Got the right SD cards. Tried to create a topo map of the Allegany National Forest on the SD card. When connected to my computer via the card reader, (LEI) the file is present and shows up in Mapcreate. When I insert the card in the XOG, I get an alarm message on startup stating:

Copyright 2006 LEI
Copyright 2006 Navteq
Copyright 2006 Info USA

After clearing the message, the Topo contour lines and other info do not appear on the map screen. I am sure I am missing something. Any suggestions? Never mind: figured it out, had to go to the Option, Categories Drawn, Elevation and check same! Got it!

lawyer1219 screwed with this post 02-04-2009 at 07:24 AM
lawyer1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:06 AM   #260
maicomike
big bore fan

Oddometer: 211
Thumb delorme pn-40

i have been searching for a deal and at wallmart . com they have the pn-40 kit marked down to 328.00 usd best price I have found.
later Mike
maicomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:06 PM   #261
Geezerider
Just coastin'

Oddometer: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by maicomike
i have been searching for a deal and at wallmart . com they have the pn-40 kit marked down to 328.00 usd best price I have found.
later Mike
Amazon.com

List Price: $399.95
Price: $339.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
You Save: $59.96 (15%)
Special Offers Available
Rebate: $50.00
Price After Rebate: $289.99
Old 03-03-2009, 11:25 AM   #262
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,197
Lawyer1219,
So does MapCreate7 work with the XOG? How are the topo maps for it? Have any screen shots?

Andrew

PS..My dad got his XOG back after about 3-4 weeks from the time he shipped it out. Fully working all ready to roll.
andrewgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:09 PM   #263
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgore
Lawyer1219,
So does MapCreate7 work with the XOG? How are the topo maps for it? Have any screen shots?

Andrew

PS..My dad got his XOG back after about 3-4 weeks from the time he shipped it out. Fully working all ready to roll.
Look at the first few pages, plenty of screen shots

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:42 AM   #264
lawyer1219
Pair-a-Dice

Sorry, don't know how to do screen shots. I have found Mapcreate7 to be reasonably user-friendly. So far I have down loaded the entire Allegany National Forest (ANF) and Allegany State Park (ASP) onto one 2 gig card. This is a huge landmass and it only used about 1/4 of the memory on one card. This is the area that I primarily ride. I have been recording tracks during the sledding season of some of the trails that we regularly ride around here. I have found that the internal battery life can be greatly extended by turning the display brightness all the way down. The last time we rode, I had the unit in my pocket for over seven hours and the battery was only at half life at the end of the ride. I recorded and saved multiple tracks during this ride alone. I didn't really need the unit for navigation purposes because the guys I was riding with knew the trails. I have not installed an external power source on my sled so this was a usefull discovery. I intend to install an external power source on my KTM 525 Adventure.

BTW, I have installed Mapcreate7 on both my home computer and my laptop at work. Though the program limits the number of cards you can register to 5, by installing it on two computers, you can effectively double the number of cards you register. I am hoping to ride the TAT in 2010 and may need the extra cards to map the entire route.

lawyer1219 screwed with this post 03-05-2009 at 05:49 AM
Old 03-05-2009, 10:49 AM   #265
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyer1219
I have installed Mapcreate7 on both my home computer and my laptop at work. Though the program limits the number of cards you can register to 5, by installing it on two computers, you can effectively double the number of cards you register. I am hoping to ride the TAT in 2010 and may need the extra cards to map the entire route.
Do you just swap the DVD to the computer when needed? I'm looking for a work around so I don't have to risk scratching my original DVD.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:24 PM   #266
Cyclepath
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh
Do you just swap the DVD to the computer when needed? I'm looking for a work around so I don't have to risk scratching my original DVD.
go here for you map create work around
http://s14.zetaboards.com/Geo_Lowran...opic/448902/1/

hope this helps you.

cyclepath
Cyclepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:28 PM   #267
Cyclepath
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
BTW, I have installed Mapcreate7 on both my home computer and my laptop at work. Though the program limits the number of cards you can register to 5, by installing it on two computers, you can effectively double the number of cards you register. I am hoping to ride the TAT in 2010 and may need the extra cards to map the entire route.[/quote]

this is a bit of a pain in the drain but you can delete map create and re-install it and then you can start all over with another 5 cards. worked for me.
hope this helps.

cyclepath
Cyclepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:35 PM   #268
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclepath
go here for you map create work around
http://s14.zetaboards.com/Geo_Lowran...opic/448902/1/

hope this helps you.

cyclepath
Thanks, this method does not work with the latest version 7.

Anyone have a workaround for the dvd check?
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:19 AM   #269
lawyer1219
Pair-a-Dice

Mapcreate7

I installed the program on both computers. When I want to use one or the other, I just insert the CD in that drive. I have not tried to copy the CD, though I suppose it would be possible (and illegal). Both computers download map imagery onto the registered cards for the computer. I simply use a Sharpie to mark on the MMC card itself which computer it is compatible with. Does not seem to matter to the XOG at all which computer created the map file.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:34 AM   #270
Emil1
n00b

Oddometer: 1
XOG Language Voices

Hi everybody,
I'm looking at getting an XOG b/c it has everything I want a t a really good cost, but I want to know if it has multiple languages in the spoken voices. The online manual at Lowrance is a bit unclear about the voices.
It appears from googling that it will only speak English French & Spanish. Ideally I want Italian rather than French.
Any ideas or tips appreciated.
BTW I ride a 2k1 VFR800.
Emil1 is offline   Reply With Quote