ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 100 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 12-01-2007, 07:16 PM   #16
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,343

Have over 500 miles on it off-road on my 610 works great,
I can see the screen so much better than the smaller screen units and it does not take up that much space.

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:55 PM   #17
Neil E.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Very nicely done, I'll have some questions once I get a hands on look at one of these.
Neil E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:39 PM   #18
rwamf
Follow me

Sat Images

I downloaded an area that I plan on riding next year to do some exploring out here in NV
So far,very impressed with the downloaded images, going to be like having Google earth with you
You can zoom in and see great detail @ 200' scale
The photos do not do it justice, as I can't seem to match the scanning rate of the screen, they are much sharper in person

rwamf homepage
Old 12-12-2007, 05:07 PM   #19
ISDTBower
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
WOW! I can remember a couple trips to Colorado where that would have been real handy. Once we took at trail to a mountain top and remembered a dozer road about half way down the other side. We started down to where we couldn't come back up...and then to a 2000ft cliff. The dozer road ended about 1/2mile north. Took us a few hours to get there... Got back wayyyy after dark!

Also "forgotten trails" NEAT!
ISDTBower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:14 PM   #20
WRThumper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
rwamf GPF Mount

rwamf, what mount are you using for your XOG? I'm looking to pull the trigger on one and I'm looking for mount ideas.
WRThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:49 PM   #21
rwamf
Follow me

I am using the stock mount bolted to an old footpeg bracket that I had laying around. I did put a lanyard on it just in case it did pop out of the mount. I also modified my rubber flap with a tight sealing hole that the USB cable goes through thus retaining some of it's splash proof rating, The USB cable looks as if they anticipated this as it has a longer shaft than a standard usb cord. It is also held in much tighter.

Hopefully Ram will get there mount out soon.

rwamf homepage
Old 12-28-2007, 07:07 AM   #22
canadaler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
I'm looking at the XOG as well...also was considering a Magellan CrossoverGPS...but (and somebody correct me if I'm wrong here)...the Crossover does not have as much capacity to store as many waypoints and tracks as the XOG. I like the ability to download satellite views into the XOG...but as of yet...none are available for Canada...at least that I can find. Actually the XOG is not available through Lowrance dealers up here yet...I've been told "end of January...hopefully."

Being a complete noob at waypoint and track downloading into units...I am a little apprehensive as all events I am likely to use the XOG in are based on Garmin files...although "translating" them can't be that big of a deal...I hope.

Rwamf:...have you put a screen protector over your unit...and if so what type?...I see there are at least a couple of different types available.

PS:...maybe none of my "bees wax"...but it looks from your photos that to the right of your GPS you have a clamp on your bars with the bolt ends protruding about 3/4" and sticking up. (Or are they toggle switches????) If they're bolts they might tear a real nice gash in the front of your thigh if you take an unexpected trip over the bars!

canadaler screwed with this post 12-28-2007 at 08:05 AM
canadaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:14 AM   #23
rwamf
Follow me

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaler
I'm looking at the XOG as well...also was considering a Magellan CrossoverGPS...but (and somebody correct me if I'm wrong here)...the Crossover does not have as much capacity to store as many waypoints and tracks as the XOG. I like the ability to download satellite views into the XOG...but as of yet...none are available for Canada...at least that I can find. Actually the XOG is not available through Lowrance dealers up here yet...I've been told "end of January...hopefully."

Being a complete noob at waypoint and track downloading into units...I am a little apprehensive as all events I am likely to use the XOG in are based on Garmin files...although "translating" them can't be that big of a deal...I hope.

Rwamf:...have you put a screen protector over your unit...and if so what type?...I see there are at least a couple of different types available.

PS:...maybe none of my "bees wax"...but it looks from your photos that to the right of your GPS you have a clamp on your bars with the bolt ends protruding about 3/4" and sticking up. (Or are they toggle switches????) If they're bolts they'll tear a real nice gash in the front of your thigh if you take an unexpected trip over the bars!
Magellan Crossover does not allow you to import tracks!
Garmin Mapsource will save a track file as a "gpx" the default is "gpd" and tracks listed here @ ADVRIDER are "gpx" files, You can load a "gpx" file into the XOG it will read it, I have done it. It loads into the unit much slower but it works with only some of the "track only" files I have tried. I just tried it with " Jeff@TheQuadShop's White rim file and it was fine.
Translating the Garmin files( gpd or gpx ) to the "usr" format is very easy, The best is to get the raw unfiltered files from whoever, as most Garmins will only allow you to import up to twenty 500 point tracks (Color units, B&W units only 250 point tracks) With the Lowrance track files can be up to 9,999 points in each track, ( and each saved "usr" file can have up to 100 tracks in it)which gives you better resolution. I use GPSBABEL as it is very easy, But most Dual Sport rides only supply Garmin files so I always carry my small Laptop, and I have a small USB/SD card reader/writer that they can transfer the file to.
I have not put a screen protector on it. Don't like them, I do carry a soft rag and a small can of Plexus
The bolts sticking up are from a RAM mount ball, it is hard to see but the Ram Ball sticks up between the two bolts

rwamf homepage

rwamf screwed with this post 12-29-2007 at 11:22 PM
Old 12-28-2007, 09:13 AM   #24
canadaler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf
Magellan Crossover does not allow you to import tracks!
Whew....good thing I got outbid on e-bay last night
'84 Honda VT500FT Ascot
Tuareg Rally 2009
canadaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:59 PM   #25
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Nice write up, Robert.

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:21 PM   #26
Heath3n
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
So I have a question. I'm pretty much strictly a pavement rider (I'm just here for the ride reports! ) How would this compare to the Zumo 450 as far as practicality and costs go? Also....how is the accuracy for streetmaps and such? Thanks!
Heath3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:05 PM   #27
rwamf
Follow me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath3n
So I have a question. I'm pretty much strictly a pavement rider (I'm just here for the ride reports! ) How would this compare to the Zumo 450 as far as practicality and costs go? Also....how is the accuracy for streetmaps and such? Thanks!
Can't speak too much about the Zumo but from what I know about it is a great Street GPS, The way it handles tracks is my main complaint, It has to convert a track to a route and that way you can not display a multiple of tracks at the same time, but if you are street rider that may not be important. The Lowrance XOG has the 07 Nav-teq data and is very accurate. The screen is not as bright as the one on the Zumo. But the Data displays on the Lowrance are the best,(IMO) and for the money it is a very good deal, but as of right now there is no Motorcycle mount for it, RAM is still a couple months away. I modified my stock mount and it works okay and have taken it on some very rough rides and all as worked as it should.
I do not use the MP3 player but I did try it and it worked, but I have a very small 1Gig player I put in my coat pocket with some very comfortable earplugs when I have to burn some slab and want some tunes. I do not think I would like a wire going to my bike.

rwamf homepage
Old 01-10-2008, 10:12 PM   #28
MotoJim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Maximum SD Card Size

Robert,

Do you know what the maximum SD card size the XOG can handle is? Seems like I read somewhere that it couldn't handle sizes greater than 2GB.

The XOG might be the value leader right now.

Garmin is really missing out by having their silly saved track log limits.

Jim
MotoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:42 AM   #29
postaldave
gone postal

Oddometer: 796
it's not the size it is the TYPE of SD card.

read this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card

basically you are general safe up to around 2 gigs but anything bigger
will likely be SDHC instead of SD.

lowrance says the hardware can't handle it but it really is just a software problem.

the answer is

you can get as large an SD as you like but make sure it really isn't a SDHC.

1972 BMW R75/5 toaster
1995 BMW GS 1100
2001 yamaha kodiak 400
2002 HONDA VFR interceptor

no one is promised a tomorrow but one more ride would be nice.

postaldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #30
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 745
I had the same problem but found a 4GB non SDHC card from Buy.com. I think 4 GB is about max you can go without going to SDHC format.

The 4GB non SDHC card is from a company called Transcend. Part# TS4GSDC. No problems so far and it's taken a beating on my V-Strom 1000.