ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 185 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 02:26 PM   #301
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Davis
I have my route all set in .usr format, it loads into the XOG but can't figure out how to pull it up to navigate???

Help Please!!

Thanks!

Scott
I've never played with the XOG but on the Ifinder series theres an option to browse the MMC/SD card and you can load the .usr file from there.
The Ifinders automatically load the topo map data when its powered on.
Sorry I can't help more.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:47 AM   #302
Moraflex
Banned

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by acormier7
My XOG shuts down in very light rain. It's mounted behind the windshield on my V-Strom. I think it may be the power supply getting wet. I may try to water proof it in a plastic bag of some description.
Cut a hole in the rubber where the power plugs in. This way you can black tape the rubber flap inplace and also plug in the power. It's make it a hole lot better in the rain.
Moraflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:55 PM   #303
marbee40
Some Fear is Good

Oddometer: 1,091
Still waiting~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moraflex
The problem with this and every other "Topo map" unit, is the screen size is still miniature. Endura Sierra is 2.7" screen size. Every time you need to see it, you have to stop the bike. In order to view 20 miles ahead you need to scroll scroll scroll.....
When will these manufacturers come up with an all purpose on/off road, motorized use GPS, fully loaded with 7.5 minute US Topos & the new enhanced terrain topos, plus full street navigation and a 4 inch wide X 3 inch high touch screen? The unit must also be totally Waterproof/Shockproof/Heatproof/DummyProof.

When I ask, When?
I have to mirror Moraflex's comments. This is driving me NUTS! I live in AK, ride in AK. I have to buy extra maps for TOPO use no matter what brand I seem to look at. I want a LARGE touchscreen, H20 proof, shockproof. I just picked up a Garmin Oregon 300 for giggles from the local Sportsmans Whorehouse and I'm utterly dissapointed. I've had a number of Garmins in the past with good luck. I've pre-run Baja using the GI-NORMOUS Lowrance units. I need an in-betweeny unit. Thankfully Sportsmans has a 30 day return policy.

Sooo, any NEW ideas out there in the summer month of June? I'm riding an XR650Lpig. I use RAM mounts on all my rides (ATV's etc) with good success. I don't mind ordering and hardwiring a good quality GPS that will take DOWNLOADABLE topo maps. I wouldn't mind having street guidance, but not a huge deal. Most important, again, is a LARGE (4x3ish) color screen, water/shock resistant, and TOPO, TOPO, TOPO. I could give a rats butt about XM/BLUETOOTH etc.
Jim in Wasilla
Old 06-01-2009, 09:39 AM   #304
Moraflex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbee40
I have to mirror Moraflex's comments. This is driving me NUTS! I live in AK, ride in AK. I have to buy extra maps for TOPO use no matter what brand I seem to look at. I want a LARGE touchscreen, H20 proof, shockproof. I just picked up a Garmin Oregon 300 for giggles from the local Sportsmans Whorehouse and I'm utterly dissapointed. I've had a number of Garmins in the past with good luck. I've pre-run Baja using the GI-NORMOUS Lowrance units. I need an in-betweeny unit. Thankfully Sportsmans has a 30 day return policy.

Sooo, any NEW ideas out there in the summer month of June? I'm riding an XR650Lpig. I use RAM mounts on all my rides (ATV's etc) with good success. I don't mind ordering and hardwiring a good quality GPS that will take DOWNLOADABLE topo maps. I wouldn't mind having street guidance, but not a huge deal. Most important, again, is a LARGE (4x3ish) color screen, water/shock resistant, and TOPO, TOPO, TOPO. I could give a rats butt about XM/BLUETOOTH etc.
Jim in Wasilla
There is an alternative out there. I have it, but mine is not set up for bikes. MapTech, makers of Terrain Navigator and Pocket navigator have a possible answer depending whether you can find a PDA (with blue tooth) running windows CE which is waterproof and shockproof. Maptech has CD's for each state. Each CD has all the 7.5 USGS topos in it. Real Topos, not the crap Lowrance and Garmin put out there. You load Pocket Nav on the PDA, then load the map quads you want on the PDA, and walla, you have a full functioning GPS using real topo maps. You will either need a PDA with a built in antenna, or buy a Blue tooth antenna to transmit to the pda. The bluetooth antenna is 1/2 the size of a computer mouse, is rechargable and the charge will last for days.

I use mine in the 4x4 and it's so much better than these packaged devices with toy maps.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:21 PM   #305
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Well I read this thread again last night, then went shopping on-line.
Since I use the Ifinder H2O now, my current software is fine, MapCreate 6.3 Topo.
I bought an XOG today at Wally World, $149, guess they don't want to embarrass the Garmin . They had it over in the sporting goods section instead with the other automotive GPS units.

I carry a Jensen Audiovox 225 in the truck and with them both side by side on the windshield. The XOG has a brighter screen. The Jensen has better graphics. The Jensen looks like a fine High Res display and the XOG looks like low res. Kinda like VGA vs EGA in terms of smoothness of the graphics.

Ok life goes on. I just got to get it on the bike now once I get back home wire up a power port someplace.

WHY:
I bought the XOG for the automotive routing that my Ifinders lack. Last weekend we diverted from the trail so see something else and I had a hard time finding the trail again on the screen to get back to it. The other rider had a Garmin 476C, I gave him the coords and said route us there. Where we did catch my trail again 10 miles up the road, I didn't like the fact I couldn't do that with the Ifinder.

So thus the reason for an XOG. I really wanted to wait for the Endura series, but I have feeling MapCreate will be useless and the turn by turn is an extra charge. So the XOG seemed to be the best solution.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:49 AM   #306
KellyC
TimeKeeper

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moraflex
There is an alternative out there. I have it, but mine is not set up for bikes. MapTech, makers of Terrain Navigator and Pocket navigator have a possible answer depending whether you can find a PDA (with blue tooth) running windows CE which is waterproof and shockproof. Maptech has CD's for each state. Each CD has all the 7.5 USGS topos in it. Real Topos, not the crap Lowrance and Garmin put out there. You load Pocket Nav on the PDA, then load the map quads you want on the PDA, and walla, you have a full functioning GPS using real topo maps. You will either need a PDA with a built in antenna, or buy a Blue tooth antenna to transmit to the pda. The bluetooth antenna is 1/2 the size of a computer mouse, is rechargable and the charge will last for days.

I use mine in the 4x4 and it's so much better than these packaged devices with toy maps.

Trimble Juno SB

http://trimble.com/junosb.shtml

Built in GPS. Rugged. Designed for GIS field data collection.
However, it runs on Windows Mobile so you can install any Windows Mobile/CE mapping/GPS application you desire.

I've got the first Juno that I use for in-vehicle nav. I haven't got my hands on the new one.
KellyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:17 AM   #307
Moraflex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyC
Trimble Juno SB

http://trimble.com/junosb.shtml

Built in GPS. Rugged. Designed for GIS field data collection.
However, it runs on Windows Mobile so you can install any Windows Mobile/CE mapping/GPS application you desire.

I've got the first Juno that I use for in-vehicle nav. I haven't got my hands on the new one.
So So close but no cigar, however it is much more rugged than a PDA. PDA $150.00 Juno SB $749.00. My blue tooth PDA with a mouse GPS receiver locks on in less than 30 seconds, and is very accurate within a few meters. For the money, I'll stick with the PDA.

Moraflex screwed with this post 06-03-2009 at 11:27 AM
Old 06-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #308
KellyC
TimeKeeper

Oddometer: 604
I've thought about picking up a cheap PDA but I'd trash it in a heart beat.

There's no way they are rugged enough for life on the bars.

I went down the road of using a WIN device on the bars which is how I ended up with the early Juno in the first place. It's now used as my primary in-vehicle nav device although I used to stick a bunch of sat images on it and use it out of pocket in the field while laying out desert races in conjunction with a Garmin Foretrex set up to breadcrumb where I went.

I've got a Delorme PN-40 now so I've sort of moved away from trying to make a windows device work on a motorcycle. I'll probably end up with a new Juno but it will still live in the van.
KellyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #309
Moraflex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyC
I've thought about picking up a cheap PDA but I'd trash it in a heart beat.
Agreed. PDA goes in the truck only.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:25 AM   #310
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish
Ok stupid question time.

My Jensen GPS you can move the map by dragging it around.
Literally touch the screen and drag the map.
So if your zoomed in to an area on the XOG how do you move the map left and right. if I try it as it works on the jensen it just draws a square to zoom in closer?
What am I missing?
You have the Zoom function selected, here is the workaround from Lowrance Customer Service
"To toggle the pan mode, search for a POI, then locate on map, when it goes to the map you will have a pan/zoom toggle on this page. It is set to pan by default and will stay there. However if someone has looked at a location on a map they may accidentally hit the toggle without knowing it or intending to thus putting it into the zoom area mode."
An even quicker method: Press the "i" button at the top right corner of the map, then select "Find On Map". The map will have the zoom/pan mode toggle button on the top of the map toolbar. Toggle it back to the 4-pointed arrow symbol (pan mode) then close the dialogs to return to the normal map mode.

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:42 AM   #311
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf
You have the Zoom function selected, here is the workaround from Lowrance Customer Service
"To toggle the pan mode, search for a POI, then locate on map, when it goes to the map you will have a pan/zoom toggle on this page. It is set to pan by default and will stay there. However if someone has looked at a location on a map they may accidentally hit the toggle without knowing it or intending to thus putting it into the zoom area mode."
An even quicker method: Press the "i" button at the top right corner of the map, then select "Find On Map". The map will have the zoom/pan mode toggle button on the top of the map toolbar. Toggle it back to the 4-pointed arrow symbol (pan mode) then close the dialogs to return to the normal map mode.
thanks, I found it and I also just updated the software.
Theres still no pan/zoom option on mine even using the I buton. After the update it changed the pan/zoom.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #312
RPD1
We don't

Oddometer: 16,046
Quote:
Well I read this thread again last night, then went shopping on-line.
Since I use the Ifinder H2O now, my current software is fine, MapCreate 6.3 Topo.
I just bought an XOG out of the bargain bin at Cabela's. I also have the Ifinder H2O. Does the MapCreate 6.3 work with the XOG? I would try it myself but it's loaded on a computer that's not set up right now.
RPD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:23 PM   #313
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPD1
I just bought an XOG out of the bargain bin at Cabela's. I also have the Ifinder H2O. Does the MapCreate 6.3 work with the XOG? I would try it myself but it's loaded on a computer that's not set up right now.
Yes it does,
I pulled the SD card from the H2O with Arkansas on it. and popped it into the XOG.
Works all most perfect.
You will have two catagories of roads, uncheck the first set, so your only seeing the roads on the SD Map.
There seems to be a slight deviation in the road allignment between the base map and MapCreate 6.2 that I have.

BTW MapCreate is slow at generating a 1.5 gig topo map.
I'm curious if he XOG can handle a map that large.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:31 AM   #314
Mr. Visible
super dork

Oddometer: 9
Problem?

My XOG has always had an intermittent problem in which the GPS reciever freezes and stops updating info from satellites. During these failures the software/hardware works, but I get the "searching for position" message. The problem can go on for a minute or for hours. On a recent car trip the unit worked only about 20% of the time. I called Lowrance and they gave me an RMA to send it back. To their credit they were very accomodating despite the fact that when I called I didn't have the unit, the serial number, or the reciept with me. I told them I bought the unit in May or June of last years and they were cool about it. My wife sent it off to Lowrance for me (I was on a trip).

Given the great response from Lowrance and my pleasure with the functionality of the unit (when it works), I set out to buy a backup XOG for my rapidly approaching CDR trip. Lowrance may not be able to repair or replace my unit before I leave. So I tried to buy another XOG online and most low to moderate priced sellers were sold out. I had two sellers cancel my purchases. Now for the gossip...

One of the sellers called my home and left a message saying that he was out of stock because the units had been recalled by Lowrance. He said he heard there is a major problem with the units and that Lowrance didn't expect to resolve the issue and start shipping XOGs again until August or September. PLEASE NOTE THIS IS ALL HEARSAY. THIS INFO COULD BE TOTAL BS. However, if it is true, it is a bummer. I was hoping to get my unit back quickly.

Now it is time for me to look for another option for my trip. I have looked at the Garmin 60CSx (lousy antiquated interface compared to XOG), the Garmin Oregon series (not quite bright enough) and the Zumos (no real multi track import and view all tracks at once), and also the Nuvi 500/550 (same track import/view problem). It shouldn't be so hard to find a GPS that routes and tracks, and loads and saves tracks to memory cards, and has a bright modern touchscreen interface. Any recommendations would be welcome. I have to sort this replacement GPS out very quickly.

Keepin' it real in Hi-Viz
Old 06-10-2009, 04:50 AM   #315
RPD1
We don't

Oddometer: 16,046
Quote:
Yes it does,
I pulled the SD card from the H2O with Arkansas on it. and popped it into the XOG.
Works all most perfect.
You will have two catagories of roads, uncheck the first set, so your only seeing the roads on the SD Map.
There seems to be a slight deviation in the road allignment between the base map and MapCreate 6.2 that I have.

BTW MapCreate is slow at generating a 1.5 gig topo map.
I'm curious if he XOG can handle a map that large.
Great! Thanks for the info.
RPD1 is offline   Reply With Quote