ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 06-24-2009, 08:35 PM   #346
mcnaughb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsdualsport
I'm new XOG owner and found that the GPX import function doens't work well. If the GPX file has multiple tracks the XOG will only import the first track. The second track will appear but only have one point. All the other tracks don't show up.
Anyone else with this problem?
Running current firmware version 1.8.0, battery full charged.
Anybody?, Is this thing on?....
Please don't make me call Lowrance tech support, I'm begging here. I will be on hold for over 30 minutes before I get to talk to a human that may tell me to send my XOG back to the mothership.
I have version 1.8.0 and mine imports GPX files just fine. A little slow as mentioned previously, but it imports all the data accurately.
mcnaughb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:02 AM   #347
gpsdualsport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnaughb
I have version 1.8.0 and mine imports GPX files just fine. A little slow as mentioned previously, but it imports all the data accurately.
Thanks for the feedback, this sounds like a phone call to tech support will be needed. I just need to block out at least 30 minutes while I wait on hold for a human to answer the phone.
gpsdualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:02 AM   #348
mcnaughb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsdualsport
Thanks for the feedback, this sounds like a phone call to tech support will be needed. I just need to block out at least 30 minutes while I wait on hold for a human to answer the phone.
You may want to make sure that the GPX file you are importing is OK. I can send you one that I know works. PM me if you are interested.
mcnaughb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:21 AM   #349
gpsdualsport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnaughb
You may want to make sure that the GPX file you are importing is OK. I can send you one that I know works. PM me if you are interested.
Thanks for the offer but I know how to make a compatible GPX file. During the day I'm a mild mannered test engineer. On the weekend I'm GPS Geek for AMA District 37 Dual Sport. The folks that put on LA-B-to-V.
gpsdualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:07 PM   #350
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,643
Posted this in the GPS Pricing Dealfest thread, and it's kinda a long shot, but open-box special XOG's were available at the Cabela's in Wheeling, WV (not a long ride from Pittsburgh or Columbus, OH areas) for $75. Thought I'd pass this along to other XOG users...

This is my first one, I'm excited to get it on the bike!
Old 06-27-2009, 10:31 PM   #351
JimNtexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Are we XOG users stuck with three year old map data forever?

I talked to Lowrance support a few months ago about getting a database update, they said 'they were working on it'.

I have a sinking feeling though that the XOG is a dead product and we'll never see a DB update.

It's too bad, because except for the old map data its really a great buy at this price point.
JimNtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:42 PM   #352
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNtexas

I talked to Lowrance support a few months ago about getting a database update, they said 'they were working on it'.

I have a sinking feeling though that the XOG is a dead product and we'll never see a DB update.

It's too bad, because except for the old map data its really a great buy at this price point.
You can always create your own maps.
Theres a MApcreate Forum on yahoo groups. You can create a custom map for Lowrance Ifinders and the XOG's. I've been working on a trails layer for the ozarks. Its a fairly tedious process that involves topo maps and plotting out the trails.
I could see it being super useful for something like the TAT, you could hae the route as a top layer to the Mapcreate topographic layer.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:36 PM   #353
couchflyer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh
$450

I just bought my 2nd XOG for $75.
Where?
couchflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:19 PM   #354
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Quote:

I remember reading this post thinking it wasn't much of an issue to me, but today I had the XOG plugged into the laptop and it popped up a notice that I should contact Lowrance about the Navteq (that correct?) map update.

So might want to check again on updates. Theres no new software update, its still at 1.8.0 release.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:18 PM   #355
JimNtexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish
... I had the XOG plugged into the laptop and it popped up a notice that I should contact Lowrance about the Navteq (that correct?) map update.

So might want to check again on updates. Theres no new software update, its still at 1.8.0 release.
I got that popup about five months ago and called them about it. 'We're working on a street map data update, but no release date known' is what I was told.

For folks who recently purchased XOGs, what is the date on your NAVTEC data?

If they are going for $75 with 2008 data then I'll buy another one.
JimNtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:29 PM   #356
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Quote:
I got that popup about five months ago and called them about it. 'We're working on a street map data update, but no release date known' is what I was told.

For folks who recently purchased XOGs, what is the date on your NAVTEC data?

If they are going for $75 with 2008 data then I'll buy another one.
MY device information shows: Navteq Navstreets, Q3-07 V1.1

Old 07-06-2009, 08:03 AM   #357
Cyclepath
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish
MY device information shows: Navteq Navstreets, Q3-07 V1.1
i just checked mine. i have the latest version 1.8 installed but my software information says i have NAVTEQ NAVSTREETS, Q2-07 V1.0

you seem to have a newer map set then i do. how would i go about updating mine.
also when i installed version 1.8 all seemed to go without a hitch but it did not change the "auto-sort" function to "reverse route". i have the 1.8 version on a disk. should i or could it be re-installed to make sure it went well the first time. or would this screw something up.

thanks anyone who could answer this. cyclepath
Cyclepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:24 AM   #358
Elkhound
Hunting Dog

Oddometer: 986
Mailed the xog off to Tulsa, OK yesterday.
Couldn't lock on satellites more than about 5% of the time.

Liked it when it did work, so hope the next one works alot better.

Have mapcreate 7 and am
just learning to use it. It seems cumbersome but
maybe I'll get better at it.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:00 PM   #359
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhound
Mailed the xog off to Tulsa, OK yesterday.
Couldn't lock on satellites more than about 5% of the time.

Liked it when it did work, so hope the next one works alot better.

Have mapcreate 7 and am
just learning to use it. It seems cumbersome but
maybe I'll get better at it.
You get a good one you'll like it. Mine locks in and stays locked pretty good, even in the house.

MapCreate is useful for only loading topo maps into the device. Theres no option I found to create to tracks, just routes. I use plotted out tracks instead of routes when riding and exploring.

For tracks, I use Google earth, gpsViking, and gpsbabel to convert things to Lowrance USR format. From what I've read all the mapcreate stuff is going to be obsolete (as if it isn't already) with the new Endura line of GPS units.
They're using Accuterra maps and I bet Lowrance changes the data file format too. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll keep it so all our old trails will be useful.

Theres a yahoo group (not very active) for MapEdit they have an lcmMapEdit that you can use to create your own maps for the Lowrance Ifinders and XOG's. I've been using it create a map layer of trails for the XOG of my area.

I got caught in a frog strangler of a thunder storm, 50 miles home and just pouring rain. I've trimmed my side flap where the usb power cable goes in and I was a little concerned with all the water that my XOG was going to die, but it survived with flying colors. Even without the power cable securely sealed.

So far I'm pretty happy with the thing.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #360
Elkhound
Hunting Dog

Oddometer: 986
Zecatfish,

Thanks for the very good info.