ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 184 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 01-11-2008, 04:15 PM   #31
postaldave
gone postal

Oddometer: 796
how did you mount yours?
have you ran it in the rain? plugged in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromNC
No problems so far and it's taken a beating on my V-Strom 1000.

1972 BMW R75/5 toaster
1995 BMW GS 1100
2001 yamaha kodiak 400
2002 HONDA VFR interceptor

no one is promised a tomorrow but one more ride would be nice.

postaldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:23 PM   #32
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,351

Ram has it up on there web page with a Release Date: March 13th, 2008
XOG MOUNT

rwamf homepage

rwamf screwed with this post 01-11-2008 at 08:40 PM
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:57 AM   #33
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by postaldave
how did you mount yours?
have you ran it in the rain? plugged in?
I was only referring to the SD card as my Nuvi 360 also requires non SDHC type of SD Card. I have a Ram mount for my Nuvi 360 but watching these GPS posts as I want to get a better GPS that handles tracks, etc.

I am running my Nuvi right now with a City Naviagtor and Topo 2008 from Garmin. Works fine but I have to manually stop at certain parts of my ride to "Save" my heading.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:58 AM   #34
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromNC
I was only referring to the SD card as my Nuvi 360 also requires non SDHC type of SD Card. I have a Ram mount for my Nuvi 360 but watching these GPS posts as I want to get a better GPS that handles tracks, etc.

I am running my Nuvi right now with a City Naviagtor and Topo 2008 from Garmin. Works fine but I have to manually stop at certain parts of my ride to "Save" my heading.
I failed to mention that when it rains, I simply slip my Nuvi into a Zip Loc sandwich bag and then pop it back into my Ram cradle. No problem so far.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:43 PM   #35
rwamf
Follow me

Update mount

I installed a RAM Diamond Ball on the back of the Stock cradle, I drilled and tapped the Ram ball and used the stock mounting bolt (4x.7mm), works like a champ, plus it can go back to full stock at any time by unscrewing the RAM ball.

rwamf homepage

rwamf screwed with this post 02-22-2008 at 12:12 PM
Old 01-15-2008, 03:07 PM   #36
canadianstrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Question sound quality , volume?

I was close to buying a Xog ( like the features , price and a good local dealer) but my brother has a Lowrance 250 ( i think ) that also has mp3 capability and he says the sound is crap (either at the speaker or to earplugs) and a $40 mp3 player would be better. That doesn't make sense to me , I thought digital is digital aslong as the file compression is the same rate. If its sound is not decent that would be a deal breaker for me as I wanted a single gps / music source via the headphone output.
Any input on the sound ?? ??

thanks

2003 Suzuki VStrom 1000
2009 Beta Evo 200
2011 GasGas EC300
canadianstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:30 PM   #37
rwamf
Follow me

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianstrom
I was close to buying a Xog ( like the features , price and a good local dealer) but my brother has a Lowrance 250 ( i think ) that also has mp3 capability and he says the sound is crap (either at the speaker or to earplugs) and a $40 mp3 player would be better. That doesn't make sense to me , I thought digital is digital aslong as the file compression is the same rate. If its sound is not decent that would be a deal breaker for me as I wanted a single gps / music source via the headphone output.
Any input on the sound ?? ??

thanks
After I read your post I put some songs on it and tested it in the car with a cassette adapter to thur the car stereo, and the songs sounded fine as good as the Ipod, It depends on the compression and the level you have the output set to, Headphones sound good also. I do not think sound quality is a problem with mine.

rwamf homepage
Old 01-16-2008, 11:44 AM   #38
canadianstrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Question another question, music and gps

I talked to my local dealer, still none in, maybe next week and he created a little confusion for me. My concern is can I listen to music and have the GPS operating as normal?? Dealer said something about the flash drive and sd drive couldn't both be used at the same time....

thanks again for the help

2003 Suzuki VStrom 1000
2009 Beta Evo 200
2011 GasGas EC300
Old 01-16-2008, 07:55 PM   #39
rwamf
Follow me

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianstrom
I talked to my local dealer, still none in, maybe next week and he created a little confusion for me. My concern is can I listen to music and have the GPS operating as normal?? Dealer said something about the flash drive and sd drive couldn't both be used at the same time....

thanks again for the help
Get it here
Sounds like you need to find a new dealer that knows his products, Yes you can run the GPS and listen to music

rwamf homepage
Old 01-17-2008, 07:22 AM   #40
canadianstrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb thanks for the link

thanks again for your info ( the dealers good actually , just talks faster than I can comprehend sometimes), I just wanted to be sure from an owner as there aren't any here yet to play with.

2003 Suzuki VStrom 1000
2009 Beta Evo 200
2011 GasGas EC300
Old 01-17-2008, 07:56 PM   #41
canadaler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
I just ordered mine online through Radioworld in Toronto today. Got notice that it shipped today should have it by Monday.

Going on my TE610...can't wait to get it and play with it. My only experience with GPS so far has been my little iGO2 Lowrance which actually has done a pretty good job for a cheap little unit.

I'm in the midst of trying to figure out how I'm going to mount it. I'm not keen on most of the GPS mounts I've seen on bikes with the things sticking up in the breeze. I'll try to make up something with vibration isolation and tuck it in close to the triple clamps somehow.
'84 Honda VT500FT Ascot
Tuareg Rally 2009
canadaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:54 PM   #42
postaldave
gone postal

Oddometer: 796
i did like rwamf first mount, i used the part of the stock holder and bolted it to the bike. it does not have a harddrive so you don't need to worry about vibration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaler
I'm in the midst of trying to figure out how I'm going to mount it. I'm not keen on most of the GPS mounts I've seen on bikes with the things sticking up in the breeze. I'll try to make up something with vibration isolation and tuck it in close to the triple clamps somehow.

1972 BMW R75/5 toaster
1995 BMW GS 1100
2001 yamaha kodiak 400
2002 HONDA VFR interceptor

no one is promised a tomorrow but one more ride would be nice.

postaldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:05 PM   #43
XinTX
A haw haw haw haw....

Oddometer: 123
So you can listen to music while riding and 'navigating'? Just want to confirm because I read a review from a buyer on Amazon who said they couldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf
Get it here
Sounds like you need to find a new dealer that knows his products, Yes you can run the GPS and listen to music

Winston Churchill

07 R1200GS
02 R1150RT R.I.P.
XinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:55 PM   #44
rwamf
Follow me

Quote:
Originally Posted by XinTX
So you can listen to music while riding and 'navigating'? Just want to confirm because I read a review from a buyer on Amazon who said they couldn't.
I assume you are referring to the 2starr review, Where he says "MP3 player does work while navigating, but file handling and screen interface is totally unusable, and, as you would expect, the small speaker is poor. Headphones work OK. " He says it does work??? I do not use the music player but I did load some MP3 files into it and it worked, The Menu seemed very simple to me as someone who does not use many MP3 players, simple and straight forward. I know that there will be skins avail that will show music controls on top of the map, My 500 & 600 do that. That reviewer is totally lost as to what a good gps is, like any body would expect a tiny speaker to sound good for music??? I personally do not see the need for an MP3 player in a GPS, I have a very small MP3 player that holds 45 hours of music and runs over 50 hrs on a charge and it is only slightly larger than a pack of gum, Just put in my front pocket, and go free from the bike, no wires flapping in the wind.

rwamf homepage

rwamf screwed with this post 01-24-2008 at 03:18 PM
Old 01-24-2008, 04:37 PM   #45
XinTX
A haw haw haw haw....

Oddometer: 123
That's the review I was talking about. Agree it sounds like the writer didn't know a lot about electronic gadgets.

And I also have a tiny MP3 player. But the wife has a LOT of songs on SD cards that I could take along. Maybe run a cable under the tank and run the wire down from my phones somewhere under the seat. Since I might be wired to the Gerbings anyway, it would save me from carrying batteries for the player since I'd power the XOG off the bike. That's why I wanted to know if I can use the GPS and MP3 player at the same time.

Winston Churchill

07 R1200GS
02 R1150RT R.I.P.
XinTX is offline   Reply With Quote